More stories

  • in

    Tottenham fail in bid to get Ben Foster out of retirement as Prem refuse to give special permission after Lloris injury

    TOTTENHAM’S plans to bring Ben Foster out of retirement and back to the Premier League have been scuppered.Spurs are on the lookout for a goalkeeper following Hugo Lloris’ injury.
    Tottenham’s hopes of signing Ben Foster have been scupperedCredit: Getty
    The Tottenham No1 is expected to be out for around two months after suffering knee ligament damage.
    Spurs can only sign free agents to replace the Frenchman after the transfer window closed last week.
    And one target they had in mind was former Manchester United keeper Foster.
    Foster, 39, retired and is a free agent after leaving Watford last summer.
    READ MORE IN FOOTBALL
    However, Spurs would have needed special dispensation from the Premier League to sign him up.
    But the Daily Mail have claimed that will be denied by Prem chiefs under current rules.
    Former England international Foster turned his hand to Youtube in 2020 and regularly vlogged his experiences playing for Watford.
    He is known as the “cycling goalkeeper” on the platform and has 1.2million subscribers.
    Most read in Football
    FREE BETS AND SIGN UP DEALS – BEST NEW CUSTOMER OFFERS
    Foster has filmed behind-the-scenes footage on matchday and even filmed a charity match by attaching a camera to his gloves.
    Meanwhile, Spurs boss Antonio Conte has been left with just one senior goalie – Fraser Forster – to select in his captain’s absence.
    The 34-year-old former Southampton and Celtic ace made just his second top-flight start for the club since his arrival last summer at Leicester on Saturday but was unable to stop his side suffering a 4-1 thrashing.
    Rookie Brandon Austin, 24, was on the bench at the King Power Stadium but he is yet to make a senior appearance for the club. More

  • in

    Tim Sherwood savages Tottenham debutant Pedro Porro as he claims £42m transfer is ‘so bad’ and ‘doesn’t want to defend’

    PEDRO PORRO was heavily criticised by former Tottenham boss Tim Sherwood on Saturday after making his Spurs debut.The 23-year-old, who joined Tottenham in a £42million transfer from Sporting Lisbon last month, was named in Cristian Stellini’s starting line-up ahead of the 4-1 defeat to Leicester.
    Porro made his Tottenham debut on SaturdayCredit: Getty
    Sherwood said that the defender was ‘so bad it’s unbelievable’Credit: Twitter @CabineSport
    But, he failed to impress fans and was subjected to criticism as a result.
    Sherwood, who took charge of Tottenham during the 2013-14 season, was quick to rip into the defender while reporting on the match for Sky Sports.
    And he did not hold back.
    He said: “I don’t want to keep picking on the kid but he needs to be relieved of his duties at the moment.
    Read More on Football
    “I’m giving him the benefit of the doubt because it’s his debut but Pedro Porro is so bad it’s unbelievable.
    “His positioning is disgusting, Barnes and Maddison are destroying him down the left hand side.”
    Sherwood then took aim at Tottenham chief Daniel Levy for the club’s “poor” recruitment.
    “Daniel Levy said this week they’ve spent a lot of money, yes they have, but their recruitment has been very, very poor and this is the latest addition.
    Most read in Football
    FREE BETS AND SIGN UP DEALS – BEST NEW CUSTOMER OFFERS
    “Let’s not make any conclusions yet, but what I’m looking at is a player who doesn’t want to defend, Conte has complained about the defending and this player is struggling to defend, very disappointing.”
    Tottenham currently sit fifth in the Premier League table, 12 points adrift of bitter rivals Arsenal.
    The Lilywhites are set to face AC Milan in the Champions League round-of-16 on Tuesday.
    They then host West Ham in the Premier League on Sunday. More

  • in

    Sean Dyche demands new Jordan Pickford deal as top priority as Everton look to stave off Man Utd transfer interest

    EVERTON boss Sean Dyche wants England goalkeeper Jordan Pickford to be put on a new deal as a priority.Dyche believes Pickford, 28, must stay as No 1 at Goodison — despite interest in him and his current contract ending in 2024.
    Keeping Jordan Pickford has been deemed as a top priority by Sean DycheCredit: Getty
    The England No1 is wanted by Tottenham and Manchester UnitedCredit: Alamy
    Pickford has not been offered a rise from his £5million-a-year terms — but Dyche is keen for his money men to deliver the deal he wants.
    The Toffees will have to stay up before anything can be formalised.
    Everton boosted those hopes with a 1-0 win against Premier League leaders Arsenal last week.
    However, their next test against rivals Liverpool may prove to be too hot to handle in just Dyche’s second game in charge.
    READ MORE IN FOOTBALL
    Positive results for Wolves and West Ham this weekend have not helped the situation either.
    Top four chasers Tottenham and Manchester United are the sides said to be interested in striking a deal for Pickford.
    Last month SunSport revealed Pickford was in a deadlock with the club in contract negotiations.
    Pickford wants a pay rise to double his £100,000-a-week wages.
    Most read in Football
    BETTING SPECIAL – BEST FOOTBALL BETTING SITES IN THE UK
    A source told SunSport: “Jordan wants to stay at Everton.
    “He loves the place, and is settled in the area he lives. But the club is not willing to meet the wage increase he is asking for.
    “The player and his agent have asked Bill Kenwright and the board to at least meet them halfway.
    “But the club is only willing to offer him a few thousand a week more than he’s currently earning.
    “The big problem they have is, of course, the fact that relegation is looming over their heads.
    “It means they can’t be budgeting for big wage increases when they might be in the Championship in 12 months time.
    “Despite the risk of going down, Jordan is still willing to commit his future to the club now.” More

  • in

    Tottenham chairman Daniel Levy slams his own club’s transfer spending that included £65m record fee for Ndombele

    DANIEL LEVY has confessed Tottenham’s poor signings such as Tanguy Ndombele and Giovani Lo Celso are still hitting the club in the pocket.Spurs recorded a £50.1million loss for their financial results ending June 30, 2022.
    Daniel Levy slammed Tottenham’s recruitment of some big money starsCredit: Richard Pelham / The Sun
    Flop Tanguy Ndombele cost a club-record £65mCredit: Getty
    That was an improvement on the £83.8m loss from the year before, though the latest figures are from the first full season with fans back in the stadium after the pandemic.
    Ndombele was signed for a club-record £65m in 2019, with fellow midfielder Lo Celso arriving a year later for £55m.
    Both proved to be costly flops and, with Spurs unable to find buyers, are currently on loan at Napoli and Villarreal respectively, while £28m capture Sergio Reguilon has been farmed out to Atletico Madrid.
    Levy admitted the errors continue to harm the club financially but believes recruitment in recent windows, which has included splashing big money on the likes of Cristian Romero, Richarlison and most recently Pedro Porro, has been much improved.
    READ MORE IN FOOTBALL
    In a statement on the club’s website, the Tottenham chairman wrote: “We have felt, and continue to feel, the financial impact of supporting player purchases which have not worked out as planned.
    “We have taken steps to improve this area of operations and we believe the recent transfer windows reflect this.”
    Amid fan groans of Spurs not spending enough, Levy pointed out that £500m has been invested into the first-team squad since the opening of the club’s new stadium in April 2019, “putting us in the top five of spending in the Premier League”.
    He said the goal remains to have Spurs being competitive while being financially sustainable in the long term.
    Most read in Football
    HOW TO GET FREE BETS ON FOOTBALL
    That has been getting harder, he argued, over the last decade with the arrival of “increased sovereign wealth ownership” in the Premier League, following the mega-money takeovers of Manchester City and Newcastle.
    City are in the dock for breaching Financial Fair Play (FFP) rules and could even face expulsion from the Premier League as a result.
    Levy added: “It is understandable that some fans call for more spending, much of which is unsustainable for many clubs.
    “We are competing in a league in which we have seen increased sovereign wealth ownership and consortia finance.
    “And in a league where the spending power is now vested in the hands of a few who dominate and have the ability to distort the market.
    “We welcome the changes to the governance of the game which compel greater financial sustainability and financial fair play.”
    With fans returning, Spurs made £106.1m on match receipts for the results’ period – compared to a measly £1.9m from the year before when Covid-19 continued to deny supporters the chance to attend games.
    Uefa prize money was down on the year before though due to an embarrassing group-stage exit of the Europa Conference League compared to competing in the Europa League the prior season.
    Levy said “stricter control of our cost base, increased commercial and sponsorship revenues and consistent European qualification” would be key to continuing the club’s investment in the team. More

  • in

    Tottenham ‘target shock transfer swoop for ex-Chelsea star Marc Guehi with Crystal Palace open to £45million sale’

    TOTTENHAM are interested in signing Crystal Palace star Marc Guehi, according to reports.Spurs are keen to strengthen their defence and have several targets in mind ahead of the summer transfer window.
    Marc Guehi could cost around £45millionCredit: Richard Pelham / The Sun
    Antonio Conte tried to bring in Milan Skriniar and Alessandro Bastoni from Inter Milan last year.
    But with a deal for that pair likely to prove tricky Spurs have turned their attention to Guehi, report the Daily Mail.
    However Crystal Palace are reluctant to let the centre-back leave as he has been a key part of Patrick Vieira’s side in his 18 months at Selhurst Park.
    But the Eagles will reportedly sell the three-cap England star if they receive an offer in excess of £45million.
    READ MORE IN FOOTBALL
    Tottenham may be prepared to meet that asking price and could reportedly raise funds by selling Davinson Sanchez.
    Clement Lenglet is also set to leave the club when his loan expires which means the North London outfit could sign two centre-backs when the transfer window opens.
    RB Leipzig defender Josko Gvardiol is another player who has caught the eye – he impressed for Croatia at the World Cup.
    But again a transfer could prove almost impossible with Leipzig demanding £80m for Gvardiol last month amid interest from Chelsea, Manchester City and Real Madrid.
    Most read in Football
    FREE BETS AND SIGN UP DEALS – BEST NEW CUSTOMER OFFERS
    Meanwhile Skriniar has been stripped of the Inter captaincy amid news he has signed a pre-contract agreement with PSG, though that deal has not been officially confirmed by either club.
    Daniel Levy could focus his attention on Bastoni because of that, with Tottenham believed to have been considering a £43m January bid for the Italian. More

  • in

    Tottenham injury blow with star facing weeks out as he’s set for ankle surgery to repair stress fracture

    TOTTENHAM have been rocked by the news Yves Bissouma has sustained a stress fracture on his left ankle and will undergo surgery.The Mali midfielder, who joined from Brighton for £25million in the summer, will go under the knife tomorrow.
    Yves Bissouma is set to undergo surgery on his ankleCredit: Rex
    In a statement, Spurs said: “A timeframe for his return will be determined after surgery. He will begin rehabilitation with our medical staff as soon as possible.”
    A stress fracture is sustained over time rather than a specific incident.
    It leaves boss Antonio Conte with a midfield selection headache ahead of the trip to AC Milan on Tuesday in the last 16 of the Champions League, given Pierre Emile-Hojbjerg is suspended.
    England Under-21 starlet Oliver Skipp is likely to step up to play in the San Siro alongside Rodrigo Bentancur.
    read more on football
    It is the second bit of bad injury news for Spurs this week, following the revelation that Hugo Lloris will be out for five to seven weeks with a knee injury.
    Fraser Forster will deputise at the King Power for the stricken Frenchman, as well as the two upcoming last-16 ties in the Champions League against AC Milan.
    The 34-year-old joined Spurs on a free transfer from Southampton in the summer.
    He made his debut in November’s 2-0 defeat to Nottingham Forest in the League Cup, and looked shaky at Brentford on Boxing Day.
    Most read in Football
    FREE BETS AND SIGN UP DEALS – BEST NEW CUSTOMER OFFERS
    But he has kept back-to-back clean sheets in the FA Cup this year and does have six England caps to his name.
    Conte and his staff have complete faith in England international Forster, given his “great Premier League experience and good Champions League experience”.
    Spurs assistant Cristian Stellini said: “Fraser is a very good man. His behaviour this season was perfect. 
    “Every day he pushes himself to train really hard and with this behaviour he pushes Hugo to train very hard. 
    “Physically, he [Fraser] is a keeper perfect for the Premier League style, for the type of game we are going to play in the Premier League, he uses both feet when he plays with the ball.
    “So, it will be interesting to see him for some weeks to play with us. 
    “We completely trust in him.” More

  • in

    Tottenham ‘were snubbed by Franck Kessie after launching January transfer move’ for Barcelona outcast

    TOTTENHAM were ‘snubbed’ by Barcelona’s Franck Kessie as they explored a January move for the midfielder, according to reports in Spain. Kessie joined Barcelona on a free transfer last summer from Italian giants AC Milan where he was a crucial first team player.
    Franck Kessie in action for Barcelona during a recent La Liga match against Seville.Credit: Rex
    Spanish outlet Sport report that Antonio Conte’s side tried their luck with a move for the Ivorian due to his lack of minutes at the Nou Camp this season.
    The Ivorian’s name was one of those heavily linked with leaving Barcelona due to their financial issues.
    The report claims that at no time did Kessie consider cutting his time short with the LaLiga side but that did not stop Tottenham knocking at the door.
    For Kessie unless he was told by Barcelona manager Xavi that he no longer counted on him then his plan was to always continue with the club as he was convinced his time would come.
    The 26-year-old has only featured 12 times in LaLiga for the Catalan giants this season as they sit top of the table.
    The Ivorian has scored twice for the club since his summer arrival, once in the Champions League and once in the Copa Del Rey.
    The start of 2023 has been better for Kessie and after Sergio Busquets picked up an injury at the weekend the midfielder has an opportunity to stake his claim for a run in the side.
    Tottenham are clearly in the market for a midfielder, the summer signing of Yves Bissouma from Brighton hasn’t gone to plan so far and Antonio Conte will be looking for reinforcements in that area to bolster the squad.
    Most read in Football
    FREE BETS AND SIGN UP DEALS – BEST NEW CUSTOMER OFFERS
    Antonio Conte’s side had been linked with moves for Weston McKennie and Ruslan Malinovskyi but the pair subsequently joined Leeds and Marseille respectively.
    The North London outfit signed right back Pedro Porro from Sporting Lisbon and Arnaut Danjuma on loan from Villareal last month. More

  • in

    ‘This club never ceases to amaze me’ – Tottenham fans in disbelief as Spurs consider emergency transfer for ‘vlogger’

    TOTTENHAM fans have been left shocked by reports claiming they want to sign Ben Foster.Spurs are on the lookout for a goalkeeper following Huge Lloris’ injury.
    Ben Foster has been a free agent since leaving Watford
    Foster regularly vlogged his experiences as a Hornets goalkeeper
    The Tottenham No1 is expected to be out for around two months after suffering knee ligament damage.
    Spurs can only sign free agents to replace the Frenchman after the transfer window closed last week.
    And one target they have in mind is former Manchester United keeper Foster, according to The Mirror.
    Foster, 39, has been a free agent since leaving Watford last summer but Spurs would need special dispensation from the Premier League to sign him up.
    READ MORE IN FOOTBALL
    But several Spurs fans are not too happy about the supposed interest, with some less than enthusiastic about Foster’s extracurricular activity.
    The former England star turned his hand to Youtube in 2020 and regularly vlogged his experiences playing for Watford.

    He is known as the “cycling goalkeeper” on the platform and has 1.2million subscribers.
    Foster has filmed behind-the-scenes footage on matchday and even filmed a charity match by attaching a camera to his gloves.
    Most read in Football
    BETTING SPECIAL – BEST FOOTBALL BETTING SITES IN THE UK
    One fan reacting to the news said: “Cycling GK turning up at Hotspur Way. This football club never ceases to amaze me 🤣”
    Another added: “Is this some sort of joke.”
    And a third said: “no way we’re signing a retired goalkeeper 😭😭” More