More stories

  • in

    Billy Joe Saunders slams Chris Eubank Jr over $10k bet Canelo Alvarez will beat him and wants rival to buy fight ticket

    BILLY JOE SAUNDERS said Chris Eubank Jr should put the £10,000 he planned to bet on the Canelo Alvarez fight towards a ticket – as ‘that’s the closest’ he will get to the Mexican. Saunders unifies his WBO super-middleweight crown with Canelo’s WBC and WBA belts on May 8.
    Chris Eubank Jr was beaten by Billy Joe Saunders in 2014Credit: Getty
    Canelo Alvarez fights Billy Joe Saunders on May 8Credit: Getty Images – Getty
    Eubank – beaten by the southpaw in 2014 – revealed he is so convinced his rival will get knocked out, he will wager £10k.
    But Saunders did not hold back in response to the jibe, as he hit out at his former opponent.
    He told Behind The Gloves: “At the end of the day, what he should have done was put the ten thousand on himself to beat me if he was that confident.
    “He didn’t, because I beat him. It’s one of them, look he’s desperate isn’t he? He’s just really irrelevant to me.
    “The closest he’s going to get to a fight like this is go and buy a ticket. Sit ringside if you really want.
    “Go and spend you ten thousand, he’s probably going to get about ten thousand to box Marcus Morrison, whatever his name is.
    “So, spend that money on a ringside ticket, but that’s the closest he’s going to get to an Alvarez fight.”
    Eubank, 31, has long campaigned to face pound-for-pound No1 Canelo, 30, but instead returns on May 1 against Manchester’s Morrison, 28.
    How the two stars shape-up head-to-headCredit: The Sun

    The middleweight claims to have the beating of Alvarez, but Saunders, 31, took another swipe and promised the Brit will NEVER win a world title.
    He said: “He’s just not good enough. He’s 31 now and he’s not world champion.
    “I’ve said it, he will never be world champion, ever. He hasn’t got the boxing brain, the guidance within himself to be world champion.
    “He’s just so irrelevant it’s a joke.”
    Canelo Alvarez slams YouTuber fights after Jake Paul ‘left Nate Robinson half dead’ with brutal KO More

  • in

    Evander Holyfield, 58, to make boxing comeback against Mike Tyson’s final ever professional opponent Kevin McBride, 47

    EVANDER HOLYFIELD is set to make his comeback on June 5 against Kevin McBride – Mike Tyson’s final ever professional opponent. Tyson made a remarkable return to the ring in November, 15 years after he quit against Irishman McBride.
    Evander Holyfield is set to make his comeback on June 5 against Kevin McBride
    Mike Tyson was beaten by Kevin McBride in 2005Credit: Reuters
    It inspired Holyfield to start training again, with the hopes of securing a trilogy with his great rival.
    The heavyweight legends had been in talks for a lucrative rematch.
    But according to Sports Illustrated, Holyfield, 58, will first face McBride, 47, on the undercard of Teofimo Lopez’s lightweight title defence against George Kambosos.
    They will box in an eight-round exhibition bout, the same as Tyson, 54, did with Roy Jones Jr, 52, which ended in a draw.
    Holyfield recently accused Iron Mike of turning down a £20million offer to fight him.
    But Tyson hit back and in response argued negotiations were progressing, having later revealed he would return in May.
    He said: “I see that happening in the near future, me and Holyfield.
    “Only thing we have to do is get some small fundamental differences [resolved], get some paperwork done and then it’s on to the races with me and Evander.

    FREE BETS: GET OVER £2,000 IN SIGN UP OFFERS HERE

    “I just want everybody to know the fight is on with me and Holyfield.
    “Holyfield’s a humble man, I know that, and he’s a man of God.. but I’m God’s man and listen, I’m going to be successful May 29.”
    Holyfield last fought in 2011, but officially announced his retirement three years later.
    McBride has also not boxed for ten years, most recently against Mariusz Wach, which he lost in round four.
    Mike Tyson joins up with three of his greatest boxers Sugar Ray Leonard, Thomas Hearns and Shane Mosley More

  • in

    Anthony Joshua warns Tyson Fury he has ‘no place to hide’ as he confirms first official venue offer for blockbuster

    ANTHONY JOSHUA confirmed the first official venue offer for his undisputed title fight with Tyson Fury has been presented. And he warned the Gypsy King there is ‘no place to hide’ as their dream blockbuster is close to a reality.
    Anthony Joshua confirmed the first official venue offer for his fight with Tyson Fury has been presentedCredit: PA
    Tyson Fury and Anthony Joshua signed a two-fight deal in MarchCredit: PA
    Joshua posted on social media: “Positive news this evening! I’m lacing up my running boots rn!!!
    “@258MGT and @Matchroomboxing have received the first OFFICIAL offer to host the Undisputed Heavyweight Championship Of The WORLD!
    “I will be victorious God willing! No place to hide now! IM COMING.”
    Joshua, 31, and Fury, 32, signed a two-fight deal in March, and promoters gave themselves a 28-day period to have a venue and date set in stone.

    That deadline expired on the weekend, but it was self-inflicted, and not a deal breaker.
    Both the heavyweight champions are set to be confronted with other site deals, as Fury teased at least six interested parties recently.
    Due to current questions marks over travel and live crowds, potential suitors have made it clear they will offer more money by the end of the year.
    But AJ’s promoter Eddie Hearn has warned that is not an option, with plans to push ahead for a July fight.

    FREE BETS: GET OVER £2,000 IN SIGN UP OFFERS HERE

    Hearn told SunSport: “I think everybody is aware, I know you might want to do this fight in November or December, but you can’t.
    “All these people that want the fight know this is the only time it will happen.
    “You have to do it now. When you make your offer, it’s got to reflect that.”
    Tyson Fury trains with Ty Mitchell as he prepares for massive Anthony Joshua fight More

  • in

    Amir Khan hits back at Conor Benn after being called out with Bolton boxer roaring ‘I was world champion at your age’

    AMIR KHAN has hit back at Conor Benn by saying ‘at your age I was a world champion.’Benn, 24, called out the former unified light-weight king after obliterating respected Samuel Vargas on Saturday night.
    Amir Khan is set for one final swansong in the ringCredit: PA
    While it took Benn just 80 seconds to dismantle the Colombian, Khan was forced to climb off the deck to beat him back in 2018.
    After the scrap, the son of British ring legend Nigel said: “I like Amir Khan, he has achieved everything I want to in this sport.
    “But he said I would have a tough night against Samuel Vargas, just because he did.
    “But I am a different animal when I get in there. When I see an opening I take it and that is exactly what I would do to Khan.”
    But Khan, who is after one final swansong before calling time on his illustrious career, fired back a warning shot.
    The 34-year-old said: “Conor, well done. Great kid, wish him the best. At his age I was a world champ.
    “Maybe if he had some belts that fight would make sense, but he’s got a long way to go yet.”
    Benn has made it no secret of his desire to take on Khan and believes his veteran rival would take the fight.
    FREE BETS: GET OVER £2,000 IN SIGN UP OFFERS HERE
    Conor Benn called out Khan after beating VargasCredit: Mark Robinson Matchroom Boxing
    Benn dismantled his Colombian opponent in just 80 seconds

    He said: “I think Amir will want the fight. I want the fight. It’s easy to be made.
    “Again, that’s up to my promoters. I’m not bothered. I focus on doing what I’ve got to do.
    “I let Eddie (Hearn) and my trainer do what they’ve got to do and I focus on what I’ve got to do, which is training hard.”
    Conor Benn wants Amir Khan fight after destroying Samuel Vargas More

  • in

    Anthony Joshua fight date with Tyson Fury confirmed by Eddie Hearn as July 24 IF £500m clash takes place at Wembley

    ANTHONY JOSHUA vs Tyson Fury will take place on July 24 but only if it can be held at Wembley with 100,000 fans.That is according to Joshua’s Matchroom promoter Eddie Hearn.
    Anthony Joshua could fight Tyson Fury on July 24Credit: The Sun
    But the Battle of Britain with the Gypsy King will only be held then if Wembley can hold 100,000 fans by that dateCredit: The Sun
    The superstars are deciding on the venue for their world heavyweight title unification showdown.
    Contracts and potential venue details are being presented today.
    Hearn has ruled out the possibility of delaying the fight until the end of the year.
    Wembley is an option but the stumbling block remains enabling a full stadium crowd to attend due to Covid-19 restrictions as Hearn confirmed to Sky Sports on Saturday.
    He said: “We are very close. Tomorrow [Sunday] both guys will be presented with the options for a fight in the summer.
    “Joshua doesn’t talk much about fights – but he talks when it’s close. You can feel the excitement building.
    “We are in a great place with several offers on the table. I’m quietly confident. It was nice to see Fury post with enthusiasm because he feels that we are close.
    “The teams will get together. I will try to see Bob Arum on Tuesday. We’re nearly there. We have worked really hard and we don’t want to give in.
    CASINO SIGN UP OFFER: CLAIM UP TO £800 IN CASINO BONUS CASH
    Eddie Hearn made the revelation to Sky Sports on SaturdayCredit: Dave Thompson Matchroom Boxing
    England’s national stadium seems an unlikely venueCredit: Getty – Contributor

    “It [Wembley] will be presented. Financially, it’s not at the races.
    “The question is: can we get 100,000 fans on July 24, the potential date in London? The answer is ‘we hope so’. It is difficult to make a decision on that basis.
    “This is why it’s taking longer than expected. It’s the logistics, testing policies, crowds.
    “But now is the time to make this fight. Now. The summer. We may not get this opportunity again.
    “Both guys accept that and are ready for the challenge.”
    Saudi Arabia is the frontrunner to stage the first bout of the two-fight deal.

    Eddie Hearn says Amir Khan could fight Conor Benn next More

  • in

    Conor Benn wants Amir Khan fight after destroying Samuel Vargas – the boxer who floored Bolton fighter three years ago

    AMIR KHAN is facing sleepless nights now daddy cool Conor Benn is bang on his case.The 24-year-old welterweight, son of British ring legend Nigel, obliterated respected Samuel Vargas on Saturday night.
    Conor Benn destroyed Samuel Vargas on Saturday night and now has his eyes set on Amir KhanCredit: The Sun
    The new father to baby boy Eli put on such a vicious and clinical performance that his post-fight interviews were longer than his 80-second break-out win.
    And 34-year-old Khan – who had to climb off the deck to beat Vargas on points in 2018 – is the next scalp Benn wants once he makes up to wife Victoria for all the late-night feeds she did so he could focus on his camp.
    The next Benneration said: “This was the first time I had my son’s name on my shorts so I dedicate that to him.
    “I will take a break now because I want to spend some time with my son, I want to invest some emotional time with him.
    “I need that time because you never get it back with a newborn.
    “I only had three days off for his birth so I have a lot of night feeds to make up for.
    “I like Amir Khan, he has achieved everything I want to in this sport.
    “But he said I would have a tough night against Samuel Vargas, just because he did.
    CASINO SIGN UP OFFER: CLAIM UP TO £800 IN CASINO BONUS CASH

    “But I am a different animal when I get in there. When I see an opening I take it and that is exactly what I would do to Khan.”
    The Bolton hero, who eventually secured a unanimous-decision win against the Colombian, did not accept the challenge of fighting Benn – and then compared their relative success by the age of 24.
    Khan responded: “Conor, well done. Great kid, wish him the best. At his age I was a world champ.
    “Maybe if he had some belts that fight would make sense, but he’s got a long way to go yet.”
    Vargas lasted seven rounds against America’s hottest welterweight prospect Vergil Ortiz in July.
    But Benn ripped up the form book to brutalised the Canada-based Colombian with his first serious attack.
    But he insists on reminding the world that it’s taken far more than supreme genes to make him one of boxing’s hottest prospects and trainer Tony Sims deserves huge credit.
    Benn said: “Tony is a massive part of my career because he has invested so much time into me.

    “Hard work beats talent when talent doesn’t work hard.
    “I am always the first in the gym and the last to leave but he has had to go over the fundamentals with me thousands of times.”
    Benn started his pro career aged 19 with minimal amateur experience from his childhood in Australia.
    Five years on he is a genuine world-title contender who is always moving the goal posts to improve.
    He said: “Winning a world title is the main goal. That is the target.
    “If I get there, then who knows, maybe I will then want to be undisputed.
    “But world champion is just the aim for now.”
    Vargas sat Khan down on the canvas before recovering to win via a unanimous decisionCredit: PA:Press Association

    Conor Benn vs Samuel Vargas – Round by round More

  • in

    Watch Devin Haney break sparring partner’s nose with brutal barrage as he prepares for Jorge Linares fight

    BOXING star Devin Haney has broken his sparring partner’s nose ahead of his contest with Jorge Linares.The WBC lightweight champion is set to fight the Venezuelan in Las Vegas next month.
    Haney is seen sparring with his partner
    The 22-year-old gives him a whack
    The WBC lightweight champion at SunSport HQ last yearCredit: Mark Robinson Ltd
    The 22-year-old American is seen unleashing some brutal combos on his partner before the session was stopped when someone noticed the fracture.
    Haney looks in fine nick ahead of the bout, although some Twitter users were not impressed by what they saw.
    One wrote: “That’s not a sparring partner that’s a walking punching bag, he never threw a single punch.”
    Another tweeted: “Uncomfortable viewing. Absolutely no need. He’s miles ahead of his ‘sparring partner’ – the fact nobody knows who it is says it all.”
    Linares will undoubtedly pose a far greater challenge when the two scrap on May 29.
    The 35-year-old veteran, who has a 47-5 record, has faced many great fighters during his illustrious career.
    FREE BETS: GET OVER £2,000 IN SIGN UP OFFERS HERE
    Linares, 35, is a formidable opponentCredit: Getty Images – Getty

    Linares has defeated British stars Anthony Crolla and Luke Campbell and has challenged Vasyl Lomachenko – one of the best pound-for-pound fighters on the planet.
    Haney, who has a 25-0 record, is yet to fight such quality in his professional career, defeating former featherweight champ Yuriorkis Gamboa in his last bout.
    The up-and-coming star became a world champion when his WBC interim lightweight title was elevated and is a protege of the great Floyd Mayweather.
    Haney will be desperate to defeat Linares if he wants a shot at Lomachenko, with the two exchanging words on social media last month. More

  • in

    Anthony Joshua and Tyson Fury ‘very close’ with fight contracts presented TODAY with venue decided this week amid talks

    ANTHONY JOSHUA and Tyson Fury are very close to agreeing their huge fight with the contracts being presented today. The heavyweight superstars are deciding on the venue for their world heavyweight title unification showdown.
    Anthony Joshua is determined to become unified world heavyweight championCredit: Mark Robinson Matchroom Boxing
    Tyson Fury has never been beaten as a professional boxerCredit: Instagram
    Promoter Eddie Hearn told Sky Sports: “People are excited, people know we’re on the verge now.
    “Fingers crossed, it won’t be long… The whole world will stop to watch this fight. It will never get any bigger than this in our generation. We are on the verge.
    “Joshua doesn’t talk much about fights – but he talks when it’s close. You can feel the excitement building.
    “We are in a great place with several offers on the table. I’m quietly confident.
    “It was nice to see Fury post with enthusiasm because he feels that we are close.”
    Hearn has ruled out the possibility of delaying the fight until the end of the year.
    The first of two fights between the British superstars is set to take place this summer with a July bout most likely.
    FREE BETS: GET OVER £2,000 IN SIGN UP OFFERS HERE

    A decision on the venue is the major issue to be resolved with Saudi Arabia one of the front runners to stage the hugely-anticipated showdown.
    Wembley is an option but the stumbling block remains enabling a full stadium crowd to attend due to Covid-19 restrictions.
    And with the contracts presented this weekend it seems likely an official announcement could be made within the coming weeks.

    Hearn hits back at Tyson Fury’s dad John over lack of support for Anthony Joshua fight More