More stories

  • in

    Vincent Kompany is shock leading contender for Tottenham job despite Pep saying Man City move is ‘written in the stars’

    VINCENT KOMPANY has emerged as a leading contender to become Tottenham’s new boss.The Belgian looks to be leading Burnley back to the Premier League at the first attempt but SunSport understands he would be interested in the Spurs job.
    Kompany’s stunning debut season as Burnley boss has seen his managerial stock sky rocketCredit: Rex
    Manchester City icon Kompany’s work in his debut season at Turf Moor, where he plays an exciting brand of football, has impressed Tottenham chairman Daniel Levy.
    Spurs are putting together a shortlist after Antonio Conte finally left the club on Sunday.
    Julian Nagelsmann, Mauricio Pochettino, Luis Enrique, Marco Silva and Thomas Frank are all in the running.
    Kompany’s Championship leaders Burnley are 16 points clear of third spot ahead of hosting Sunderland tonight and can confirm automatic promotion by next weekend.
    READ MORE FOOTBALL NEWS
    Yet he knows he will not be able to spend big to keep the Clarets in the top flight.
    Kompany, who cut his teeth with two years as Anderlecht boss, rebuilt the squad last summer after losing top stars like Nick Pope, Ben Mee, James Tarkowski and Dwight McNeil.
    Last May’s relegation saw Burnley owners ALK Capital hit with an early repayment of £65million on a loan taken to help fund their 2020 takeover.
    At 36, Kompany is just a year older than Nagelsmann who was axed by Bayern Munich last week.
    Most read in Football
    HOW TO GET FREE BETS ON FOOTBALL
    And City boss Pep Guardiola claims it is “written in the stars” that Kompany will one day be manager at the Etihad.
    The Clarets were beaten 6-0 at City in the FA Cup quarter-finals this month — and Kompany reckons that is just what his players needed.
    He said: “The timing of it was impeccable. 
    “By that, I mean you could have seen the start of international weeks as like a mini-break where you rest with maybe one foot on the beach.
    “But it gives you a shock effect. The result was dramatic but the game was enough to show we’re not passengers here — that’s the standard, that’s the level.”
    Cristian Stellini, who was Conte’s No 2, takes charge as interim Spurs coach for the first time at Everton on Monday.
    He said: “I’m sad, when you change manager in the middle of the season everyone feels responsible. 
    “My relationship with Antonio is the same because we are friends.
    “I feel honoured to be trusted with the team to the end of the season. The players and everyone have to do more.” More

  • in

    Tottenham fans all say the same thing as Chelsea star Mason Mount emerges as ambitious transfer target

    TOTTENHAM fans have mocked reports of their club being interested in Chelsea star Mason Mount.Mount, 24, is no closer to agreeing a new deal to commit his long-term future to the Blues.
    Mason Mount has been linked with a move away from Chelsea this summerCredit: Getty
    His contract at Stamford Bridge is set to expire in 2024.
    And he has been linked with a host of Europe’s top clubs including Bayern Munich, Liverpool, Arsenal and Manchester United.
    But according to The Athletic, Tottenham are the latest team to emerge as an interested party.
    Spurs are understood to have been monitoring the England man since last summer.
    READ MORE ON CHELSEA
    But Lilywhites supporters do not believe Mount – who has 36 international caps – would consider a move across the city to Chelsea’s London rivals.
    Reacting on social media, one person said: “As if he’d come here 😂.”
    Another replied: “Like that is ever going to happen.”
    A third simply responded: “Complete non-starter.”
    Most read in Football
    FREE BETS AND SIGN UP DEALS – BEST NEW CUSTOMER OFFERS
    And a fourth pointed out: “Can get [James] Maddison for less money and wages.”
    Mount, a product of Chelsea’s academy system, has contributed 33 goals and 37 assists in 192 games for the club.
    But just nine goal contributions in 32 matches this season have called into question his importance to the Blues moving forward.
    Bayern are emerging as an option for the Englishman, particularly after hiring Thomas Tuchel as their head coach – a manager Mount thrived under and won the Champions League with in West London.
    And it could work out for the German champions as Chelsea may well prefer to sell him to a foreign club rather than an English rival.
    But a Premier League move is also a possibility, with Liverpool thought to be leading the race among the domestic clubs.
    Jurgen Klopp is keen to re-energise his midfield in the summer as Jordan Henderson and Thiago move deeper into their 30s. More

  • in

    Man Utd facing Evan Ferguson transfer blow as Brighton line up new mega contract for 18-year-old wonderkid

    BRIGHTON are lining up a new deal for teenage star Evan Ferguson.The striker, 18, has enjoyed a sensational breakthrough season.
    Brighton are lining up a new long-term deal for hotshot Evan FergusonCredit: Rex
    Despite only agreeing a professional contract in October, the Seagulls are now preparing fresh terms to ward off any interest.
    Ferguson’s form since making the step up to the first team has caught the eye of the Premier League’s big clubs.
    Liverpool, Manchester United and Chelsea all tried to nab Ferguson ahead of Brighton when he made the move over from Bohemians in Ireland two years ago.
    And their interest has not gone away thanks to his seven goals and three assists in 16 senior appearances this season.
    READ MORE ON FOOTBALL
    Tottenham have also been linked with a move for the Republic of Ireland international, who scored on his first start for Stephen Kelly’s side against Latvia last week.
    Despite the interest, Ferguson is keen to continue his growth at The Amex following a flying start under Italian boss Roberto De Zerbi, who has been full of praise for the young striker.

    Earlier this month, De Zerbi said: “He is unique for us in terms of quality, in terms of characteristic.
    “He knows very well the way to score. I think he can and he has to improve, in the quality of play, in ball possession, to keep the ball better.
    Most read in Football
    FREE BETS AND SIGN UP DEALS – BEST NEW CUSTOMER OFFERS
    “But he is 18 and he will improve for sure, because I know the guy, I know his passion, his attitude. I have no doubt.”
    Ferguson would be the latest in a host of Brighton stars to commit to new deals this season.
    Moises Caicedo, Solly March, Alexis Mac Allister and Adam Lallana have all agreed contract extensions since De Zerbi’s arrival last year.
    And Japan international Kaoru Mitoma could soon be due one as well. More

  • in

    Julian Nagelsmann’s girlfriend quits controversial reporter job in Germany as Tottenham look to bring him to London

    JULIAN NAGELSMANN’S girlfriend will leave her job at Bild after his shock dismissal as Bayern Munich manager, the publication confirmed.Nagelsmann and reporter Lena Wurzenberger went public with their relationship in 2022 after the German tactician separated from his wife of 15 years.
    Julian Nagelsmann’s girlfriend has left her controversial job after his Bayern Munich exitCredit: Getty
    Lena Wurzenberger no longer works for Bild and will take up a position at BMWCredit: Getty
    Nagelsmann has been linked with a move to Tottenham to replace Antonio ConteCredit: Getty Images – Getty
    Various reasons have been touted behind his sudden sacking by Bayern, such as a lack of player development and “negative sporting development”.
    Reports suggest the 35-year-old and Wurzenberger’s affair was also among the causes.
    That is because it created distrust in the dressing room at the Allianz Arena as she was working for one of Germany’s biggest publications.
    That is despite the fact the top newspaper axed her from their Bayern coverage last year to avoid a conflict of interest.
    Read More on Football
    But Bild confirmed the 30-year-old will leave her position and assume a role at BMW on April 1.
    Wurzenberger will become the car manufacturers’ “spokeswoman for the supplier network and sustainability”.
    Nagelsmann found out he was dismissed by Bayern during a skiing trip with his girlfriend.
    He was promptly replaced by former Chelsea manager Thomas Tuchel.
    Most read in Football
    FREE BETS AND SIGN UP DEALS – BEST NEW CUSTOMER OFFERS
    Now the former RB Leipzig boss has been linked with a move to Tottenham to replace Antonio Conte, who was recently dismissed as well.
    Reports also suggest the ex-Hoffenheim head coach is open to talks with Spurs.
    But the North Londoners are in no hurry to find Conte’s replacement, which is why they replaced him with his assistant Cristian Stellini until the end of the season.
    Tottenham are also keeping tabs on other free agents, such as Luis Enrique and former manager Mauricio Pochettino. More

  • in

    Harry Kane ‘over the moon’ as England captain reveals he is expecting fourth baby with wife Kate in cute Instagram post

    HARRY KANE has announced that he expecting his fourth child with wife Kate.The Tottenham star, 29, made the announcement on social media with a picture of a Polaroid of him and fitness instructor Kate holding up a positive pregnancy test.
    Harry Kane announced that he and his wife Kate are expecting a babyCredit: https://www.instagram.com/p/CqYLdcCNlnU/
    Kane asked fans what gender the baby will beCredit: https://www.instagram.com/p/CqYLdcCNlnU/
    And revealed his children’s guessesCredit: https://www.instagram.com/p/CqYLdcCNlnU/
    It will be their fourth childCredit: Getty
    In the post, there is also a short video of a baby scan.
    Kane also asked his 14.2 million followers what gender the baby will be, writing: “What do you think it is?”.
    He also revealed his children’s predictions, with daughters Vivi and Ivy guessing a girl and boy respectively.
    While his son Louis innocently said a car.
    READ MORE IN FOOTBALL
    Kane accompanied the post with the caption: “Over the moon to be expecting baby No.4! Coming soon… ❤️”
    Fans, players and his club Tottenham reacted with delight at the heartwarming news.
    Spurs replied on his Instagram post: “Congratulations.”
    A supporter added: “Congrats guys! lovely news xxxxx”
    Most read in Football
    Another added: “Congratulations you really can’t stop scoring.”

    The loved-up couple, who are childhood sweethearts, announced the birth of their first daughter to fans with a touching social media post in January 2017.
    In the heartwarming snap, Kane and Goodland both kissed little Ivy with Kane writing alongside the photo: “Our beautiful baby girl Ivy.”
    The England hitman told fans back in July 2016 that he and Katie were expecting their first child, and that their baby was due to be born after Christmas.
    Their second daughter was born in August 2018 with the couple again taking to social media to announce the new arrival.
    The pair married in the summer of 2019, with Kane announcing that he had married his “best friend”.
    And the Kane family announced the birth of a first son, Louis Harry Kane, on December 29, 2020.
    It caps off an exciting couple of weeks for Kane as he became England’s top goalscorer last week after netting against Italy.
    The goal took him one clear of Wayne Rooney and made him the Three Lions outright, all-time top scorer in the country’s history.
    He then grabbed another as he opened the scoring in the win over Ukraine on Sunday.
    Before the game, he was awarded with a trophy to commemorate the achievement.
    He received the golden boot alongside his wife and children.
    Read More on The Sun
    Meanwhile, Kane has been reportedly named as a top target of Man United.
    With the Red Devils wanting to wrap up a deal to sign the England captain before the end of the season. More

  • in

    Man Utd and Tottenham in David Raya transfer boost as Brentford line up £11.5m summer replacement

    MANCHESTER UNITED and Tottenham have been handed a boost in their attempts to sign David Raya.The shot-stopper, 27, has become one of the most sought-after goalkeepers in the Premier League after his impressive displays for Brentford.
    Manchester United and Tottenham have been linked with David RayaCredit: Reuters
    The Spanish international is keen on a challenge after turning down two contract offers to stay with the Bees.
    His current deal expires at the end of next season, and the club are now lining up a move for his potential replacement, Dutch international keeper Mark Flekken, according to reports.
    The Freiburg star has had an outstanding campaign, helping the Black Forest minnows go fourth in Germany’s Bundesliga.
    Flekken, 28, has won four caps since making his senior Holland debut last year.
    READ MORE ON MAN UTD
    He built his career with lower-league German clubs Alemannia Aachen, Greuther Furth and MSV Duisburg before Freiburg signed him in 2018.
    They want to offer the Enschede-born keeper a new deal, with a release clause higher than the £11.44million in his existing contract.
    Freiburg sporting director Klemens Hartenbach said: “We don’t want to leave things until May.
    “We want to clarify Mark’s situation so we can make definite plans.”
    Most read in Football
    BETTING SPECIAL – BEST FOOTBALL BETTING SITES IN THE UK
    This is a boost for United and Spurs as Brentford will be more willing to do business without running the risk of being short in the vital position.
    The west Londoners’ scouting system has consistently seen them find top-quality players missed by their big-spending rivals.
    And Flekken could now become the latest little-known capture to shine under Thomas Frank at the GTech Community Stadium. More

  • in

    Dejan Kulusevski drops major transfer hint over Tottenham future and backs club over Antonio Conte sacking

    DEJAN KULUSEVSKI has dropped a huge hint about his Tottenham future as he backed the club over the axing of Antonio Conte. The 22-year-old was one of the Italian’s first signings and has become a regular alongside Harry Kane and Son Heung-min up front.
    Dejan Kulusevski has two goals and six assists in 20 Premier League games this seasonCredit: AFP
    He joined in an 18-month loan deal in January 2022 from Juventus and Spurs are believed to be keen to make the deal permanent.
    Despite the chaos that has engulfed the club, Kulusevski made clear how much he is “enjoying” his time in North London.
    Discussing Conte’s exit, he star told Swedish outlet Fotbollskanalen: “It’s not me who decides. Whoever is the coach, we players will always accept and play for him and for everyone else.
    “Now the club made this decision because they think it is the best and we players stand behind that.”
    READ MORE IN TOTTENHAM
    “[It’s] always sad when a person you work with and have grown close to has to leave. But life goes on and you just have to move on. 
    “He has been very important. I have learned a lot from him and I will always remember him, but right now we have his assistant who I know very well.
    “Then we’ll see who comes in next season, but I enjoy the city and the club very much.”
    It is set to be interesting few weeks for Kulusevski and his teammates as they attempt to scramble into the top four.
    Most read in Football
    BETTING SPECIAL – BEST SPORTS BETTING APPS IN THE UK
    The men tasked with leading the charge is Conte’s former assistant Cristian Stellini and former Spurs midfielder Ryan Mason.
    Managing director Fabio Paratici explained why the club had kept the pair on in a video statement.
    He said: “[Stellini] has a lot of experience as a second and has been first [team] coach some years in the past.
    “But then we have Ryan Mason who can help him a lot as he’s been a part of this club for a long time and he knows everything about this club and this group of players.
    “The players don’t have to change habit or style of training. To change everything with just 10 games to go would be very difficult on the players.” More

  • in

    Man Utd ‘line up £80m Harry Kane transfer offer after club chiefs give Erik ten Hag green light to swoop’

    MANCHESTER UNITED have given Erik ten Hag the green light to bid £80million for Harry Kane, according to reports.And they want to wrap up a deal to sign the England captain before the end of the season.
    Harry Kane could be on his way to Manchester United this summerCredit: Getty
    Erik ten Hag is desperate for a new No9 at Old TraffordCredit: Getty
    The Tottenham striker, 29, is a long-term target for the Red Devils who desperately want a new No9 this summer after axing Cristiano Ronaldo.
    SunSport revealed earlier in March that the Old Trafford club are confident they will land Kane this summer if Tottenham miss out on the top four and the Champions League.
    Spurs have been holding out for £100m – but United hope they will accept an offer below that.
    Now the Mirror report the Red Devils board have sanctioned an £80m opening offer for their priority transfer target.
    It is thought Ten Hag implored his seniors to stump up the cash because he is desperate to secure the striker to transform his side into genuine title contenders and therefore wants to open talks as soon as possible.
    Kane is wanted by plenty of Europe’s top clubs including Bayern Munich, Barcelona and Chelsea – but the report adds his preferred destination is Old Trafford.
    His current £200,000-a-week contract at Tottenham expires in 2024 and he needs to make a decision on his future as his long wait for a trophy goes on.
    Tottenham chairman Daniel Levy understandably wants Kane to stay but knows he must make a shrewd managerial appointment to replace Antonio Conte and convince Kane the North Londoners can fight for silverware.
    Most read in Football
    United made contact with Kane’s camp through a third party and were encouraged by the response.
    Kane said in January that there had “not been much talking” with Spurs over a new contract but he was “sure there will be conversations over the coming months”.
    Champions Manchester City are no longer in the running, having failed to land the striker in 2021 as they were quoted a whopping £150m by Levy.
    Now the Spurs chief is set to have to settle for far less than that – or else he risks losing Kane for nothing next year.
    On the international stage, Kane became England’s all-time record goalscorer with his penalty against Italy last week.
    And he took his tally to 55 against Ukraine on Sunday.
    THIS IS A DEVELOPING STORY…The Sun is your go to destination for the best football, boxing and MMA news, real-life stories, jaw-dropping pictures and must-see video.Like us on Facebook at https://www.facebook.com/TheSunFootball and follow us from our main Twitter account at @TheSunFootball. More