More stories

  • in

    Julian Nagelsmann ‘has held talks with Premier League club’ and ex-Bayern Munich boss could be appointed this summer

    JULIAN NAGELSMANN has reportedly held discussions with Tottenham over their vacant managerial position. Nagelsmann was sacked by Bayern Munich during the most recent international break.
    Julian Nagelsmann has reportedly held discussions about the Tottenham jobCredit: Getty
    This conveniently coincided with the sacking of Antonio Conte at Spurs.
    But with reports suggesting Bayern would demand a fee for him to go to another club before the end of the season due to a clause in his contract, he has not moved elsewhere yet.
    Nagelsmann had been linked with the Chelsea job before Frank Lampard took over as interim boss, while Tottenham initially appointed Cristian Stellini before Ryan Mason assumed the role.
    Now according to Sky in Germany, Tottenham have held discussions with the German in the last few days over their vacant head coach position.
    READ MORE IN FOOTBALL
    The report states Spurs chairman Daniel Levy is “pushing more” to bring Nagelsmann to north London.
    The 35-year-old is said to be interested in the job, though no agreements or commitments are in place yet.
    This is because Nagelsmann wants to know how much power he would be afforded on transfers if he were to take the role.
    Spurs appear to have a clear shot at landing Nagelsmann, with Chelsea no longer considering him for the role.
    Most read in Football
    CASINO SPECIAL – BEST ONLINE CASINOS FOR 2023
    Instead, Chelsea appear set to appoint Spurs fan-favourite Mauricio Pochettino.
    Nagelsmann has also been encouraged to take the “exciting” Spurs job by former Manchester United interim manager Ralf Rangnick, who is also a former mentor of Nagelsmann.
    He told Sky Germany: “I think Tottenham is an exciting club in many ways.
    “They probably have one of the most modern, beautiful stadiums in the world at the moment.
    “They have one of the best training centres, that is there at the moment and Daniel Levy, who has been leading the club for many, many years.
    “Although he is not a big spender, he knows the football business and would not put himself in the centre of the cameras.
    “If Tottenham really want him, then I think it would be important if a sporting director was still there to support him.
    “It can be a very, very exciting story. There is room for improvement, a lot of room for improvement and yet this is not a club where the house expects you to be in the top one or two right away.”
    But Nagelsmann is not the only boss being considered for the Spurs gig.
    Read More on The Sun
    The likes of Vincent Kompany, Xabi Alonso and Michael Carrick have all been linked as well.
    Tottenham are also looking for a new director of football after Fabio Paratici stepped down from the role last month following his involvement in the alleged financial irregularities scandal at Juventus. More

  • in

    Tottenham legend to meet Pochettino NEXT WEEK in last, desperate attempt to prevent him joining Chelsea

    TOTTENHAM legend Ricky Villa will make a last ditch attempt to get Mauricio Pochettino to swerve Chelsea and rejoin Spurs. The Argentine boss is widely expected to take the reigns at Stamford Bridge after their horror season.
    Pochettino was a very popular figure among fans during his five years in the dugout at SpursCredit: PA
    💪 “We need Pochettino back!”👀 “I’m meeting him next week – we’ll see what happens…”🗣️ #THFC legend Ricky Villa urges compatriot Mauricio Pochettino to reject #CFC for a Spurs return! pic.twitter.com/AUMIkZJ1hJ— talkSPORT (@talkSPORT) May 5, 2023

    It will be his first job in England since his largely successful five years at Tottenham.
    Many Spurs fans had been praying the 51-year-old would return and fill their managerial vacancy after the sacking of Antonio Conte.
    And Villa, best known for his two goals in the FA Cup Final replay of 1981, has not yet given up hope of his compatriot returning to North London.
    He told talkSPORT: “It’s a difficult moment for the club. [But] the club is very strong and there will be a recovery very soon.
    READ MORE TOTTENHAM NEWS
    “Pochettino should come back. We need Pochettino back into the team.”
    When reminded that the boss looked set for the Blues, Villa said: “Yes, yes, yes… [but] Spurs have not called him. If he had another offer, he would have to make a decision.
    “It’s not my decision, it’s the decision of the chairman. I’m meeting Pochettino next week and we’ll see what happens.”
    Villa joined Tottenham from Racing Club in 1978 and would become a fan favourite at the club over his five years.
    Most read in Football
    FREE BETS AND SIGN UP DEALS – BEST NEW CUSTOMER OFFERS
    More than 30 years on another Argentine would capture the hearts of supporters.
    Pochettino quickly had Spurs playing expansive football and managed regular finishes in the top four between 2014 and 2019.
    He also took the club to the 2019 Champions League final where they lost to Liverpool. More

  • in

    Xabi Alonso breaks silence on links to Premier League jobs as Tottenham eye him to replace Conte

    TOTTENHAM target Xabi Alonso says he is “100 per cent” focused on managing Bayer Leverkusen next season.The former Liverpool midfielder, 41, is one of the candidates Spurs are considering to be the permanent successor to Antonio Conte.
    Xabi Alonso has impressed since taking over Bayer Leverkusen in OctoberCredit: EPA
    Alonso has been a huge hit since taking over at struggling Leverkusen in October, taking them up to sixth in the Bundesliga and into the Europa League semi-finals.
    And he suggested that he does not yet feel his time is up yet with the German side as he addressed reports of Tottenham’s interest in him.
    The Spaniard, who began his coaching career with Real Sociedad’s B side, said: “I’ve been in football for many years, rumours are normal but we still have a lot to achieve.
    “That’s why my head is 100 per cent here for the last few months.
    READ MORE IN FOOTBALL
    “And my head is also 100 per cent here for next season.”
    Spurs have been searching for a new boss since Conte departed in March.
    But they look set to finish the campaign with an interim head coach.
    That had originally been Cristian Stellini’s – Conte’s No2 – until he was sacked following the 6-1 thrashing at Newcastle and Ryan Mason was put in caretaker charge.
    Most read in Football
    CASINO SPECIAL – BEST CASINO WELCOME OFFERS
    Alonso, Julian Nagelsmann, Feyenoord’s Arne Slot and Vincent Kompany are all among the contenders Daniel Levy is assessing.
    Meanwhile, Spurs could lose whizkid midfielder Romaine Mundle on a free transfer this summer.
    Belgian clubs Anderlecht and Standard Liege are among those keen to sign the 20-year-old, who has been on Spurs’ bench a number of times this season but is yet to make his first-team debut. More

  • in

    Tottenham whizkid Harvey White weighing up his future at club as midfielder targets first-team football

    TOTTENHAM whizkid Harvey White is weighing up his future at the club.The midfielder, 21, has enjoyed his time on loan at League One Derby during the second half of this season. 
    Harvey White is weighing up his future with SpursCredit: Reuters
    He has an offer of a new contract with his parent club on the table, with his present deal expiring in the summer of 2024.
    Discussions will be held with the Spurs hierarchy at the end of the season.
    White is keen to experience more first-team action.
    The youngster has made 14 League One appearances for the Rams since joining the club on loan.
    Read More in Football
    He was regularly involved in Spurs’ matchday squad under Antonio Conte in the first half of the campaign – when the fiery Italian was still at the helm – but only played four minutes.
    The Maidstone lad, who came through the Spurs academy, must consider whether now could be the right time to move on from his boyhood club or not.
    White’s only appearance for Spurs was when he replaced Ivan Perisic off the bench against Crystal Palace at the start of January.
    He was named in the matchday squad for two other Premier League matches, as well as five out of Spurs’ six Champions League group games.
    Most read in Football
    BETTING SPECIAL – BEST SPORTS BETTING APPS IN THE UK
    White has started five games in League One since joining the Rams on loan, and has featured off the bench nine times for the club.
    Derby are sixth in League One going into the final game of the season, with Paul Warne’s side looking to secure a place in the play-offs. More

  • in

    How Tottenham could line up under Xabi Alonso with Prem legend having huge network of wonderkids to choose from

    XABI ALONSO could make some drastic changes if he was named Tottenham manager.The Spaniard is reportedly Spurs’ No1 managerial target to replace the axed Antonio Conte.
    How Spurs could line up under Xabi Alonso
    Alonso is reportedly the club’s No1 choice to be the new managerCredit: Getty
    Patrik Schick could join Alonso at the clubCredit: Reuters
    Schick could replace Harry Kane if he leavesCredit: AFP
    Cristian Stellini was given the job on an interim basis but was sacked after some shocking form and now Ryan Mason has been placed in charge until the end of the season.
    Alonso took charge of Bayer Leverkusen last year, having previously managed Real Sociedad’s B Team.
    He has impressed since taking charge, guiding his side to sixth in the Bundesliga and the Europa League semi-finals.
    And if he got the job in North London then he would need to make some changes to improve their form on the pitch.
    READ MORE TOTTENHAM NEWS
    Alonso’s first mission would be to sign a replacement for Harry Kane, who is thought to be on his way out of the club this summer.
    A move for Bayer’s Patrik Schick could make sense having worked with the Czech striker.
    Fans will remember him for his amazing goal against Scotland from the half way line in Euro 2020.
    While he has not been at his best this season, a fresh start could bring the best out of him.
    Most read in Football
    HOW TO GET FREE BETS ON FOOTBALL
    Another option would be for another Bayer and Czech striker, Adam Hlozek.
    The youngster is highly rated and after a slow start to life in Germany, he has started to prove himself, scoring six goals in 31 games.
    Although at 20 years old, he would be a risk with taking on the burden of Kane’s goalscoring responsibilities.
    Another area Alonso will want to improve is in the defensive line, which has become incredibly frail this season.
    He could plan a double swoop to sign Bayer duo Piero Hincapié and Edmond Tapsoba.
    The pair would fit in either side of Cristian Romero to form a solid back three.
    Jonathan Tah would be another option that could potentially be cheaper than the other two.
    To improve the creativity in the side, Alonso could look to either German wonderkid Florian Wirtz or winger Moussa Diaby.
    One of the two would be able to help Son Heung-min add goals to the side from midfield.
    Jiri Pavlenka could replace Hugo Lloris in goalCredit: Getty
    The Frenchman has not been in good form this seasonCredit: Alamy
    Jeremie Frimpong and Florian Wirtz could be good additions to SpursCredit: Reuters
    Another potential line-up for Spurs
    To improve the midfield and give another quality competition for Pierre-Emile Højbjerg and Rodrigo Bentancur, Alonso could look to LaLiga.
    Former Newcastle youngster Mikel Merino has developed into a top player and he could play a similar role to that of Alonso in his playing days.
    Or the club could opt to try and tempt Japanese star Daichi Kamada to the club after his contract expires at Eintracht Frankfurt.
    The club could also be on the lookout for a new right wing-back after Emerson Royal made it clear he wanted to leave the club.
    And Bayer’s Jeremie Frimpong has been highly tipped for a move to the Premier League, but Spurs would likely have to beat Manchester United to his signature.
    The last position that would need strengthening is between the sticks.
    Hugo Lloris’ form has dipped this season and Fraser Forster is not a good enough No1 in the Premier League anymore.
    Read More on The Sun
    Werder Bremen star Jiří Pavlenka has been impressive for the Bundesliga side recently and could be a cost-effective addition for Spurs.
    Mikel Merino could improve the Spurs’ midfieldCredit: Getty
    But Daichi Kamada would be a cheaper option as he is out of contract this summerCredit: Getty More

  • in

    Tottenham ‘make Xabi Alonso No1 manager target’ after Liverpool legend’s stunning season with Bayer Leverkusen

    XABI ALONSO has emerged as Tottenham’s No1 managerial target, according to reports in the Netherlands.The Spaniard took charge of Bayer Leverkusen last year, having previously managed Real Sociedad’s B Team.
    Xabi Alonso has emerged as a contender for the Spurs jobCredit: Getty
    He has impressed since taking charge, guiding his side to sixth in the Bundesliga and the Europa League semi-finals.
    According to Dutch paper De Telegraaf, Alonso is favoured over Feyenoord boss Arne Slot for the Spurs job.
    They claim that the North Londoners are impressed with Alonso’s resume, dating back to his playing days with Liverpool, Real Madrid and Bayern Munich.
    Feyenoord, meanwhile, are desperate to keep Slot on for another season.
    READ MORE IN FOOTBALL
    The 44-year-old, who is on the verge of winning the Eredivisie title, has been linked with Chelsea and Tottenham – as well as Crystal Palace.
    He could be offered a bumper new deal to stay on at Feyenoord next year as they enter the Champions League.
    Spurs, meanwhile, have also been strongly linked with Julian Nagelsmann.
    SunSport revealed last night that chairman Daniel Levy has reservations over the German’s age.
    Most read in Football
    FREE BETS AND SIGN UP DEALS – BEST NEW CUSTOMER OFFERS
    Arne Slot has also been linked with the Spurs jobCredit: Rex
    At 35, Nagelsmann is younger than current skipper Hugo Lloris, 36.
    Another potential stumbling block is the uncertainty surrounding Tottenham’s director of football situation.
    Fabio Paratici resigned last month after his worldwide football ban was upheld following an appeal.
    Nagelsmann would want clarity regarding who will be overseeing recruitment and strategy.
    Vincent Kompany and Brendan Rodgers have also been mentioned as candidates, as well as Ange Postecoglou, Luis Enrique and Roberto De Zerbi.
    Julian Nagelsmann was sacked by Bayern Munich in MarchCredit: Getty More

  • in

    Tottenham ‘to go toe-to-toe with arch-rivals Arsenal in shock transfer race for England star’

    TOTTENHAM are ready to rival Arsenal in the race to sign Crystal Palace star Marc Guehi, according to reports.Spurs are desperate to bolster their leaky defence under a new manager next term.
    Marc Guehi has impressed with his performances for Crystal PalaceCredit: Alamy
    The North Londoners have already conceded 57 goals in the Premier League this season, including 15 in their last four games alone.
    According to the Standard, Tottenham have identified Guehi as an ideal summer addition.
    The former Chelsea starlet has shone for Palace this term, earning an England recall in March.
    Guehi, 22, arrived at Selhurst Park from the Blues in an £18million switch in 2021, and would likely fetch the Eagles significantly more than that sum now.
    Read More Football Stories
    Cristian Romero and Eric Dier have been in poor form for Ryan Mason’s side, while Clement Lenglet’s loan from Barcelona is set to expire.
    Tottenham are set to face stiff competition from fierce rivals Arsenal for Guehi’s signature.

    The Gunners are looking to bolster their centre-back options, having struggled without injured William Saliba.
    Rob Holding has not been up to scratch, while £20m January signing Jakub Kiwior is yet to earn Mikel Arteta’s full trust.
    Most read in Football
    BETTING SPECIAL – BEST NO DEPOSIT CASINO OFFERS
    Tottenham have struggled defensively this termCredit: Getty
    In four recent matches without Saliba, Arsenal have conceded 11 goals and seen their title bid falter.
    The French international has been suffering with a back issue since the Gunners’ Europa League exit at the hands of Sporting Lisbon.
    Saliba has been ruled out of tonight’s clash with Chelsea.
    William Saliba has been missing with a back injuryCredit: Getty More

  • in

    Tottenham star Richarlison amazingly has more yellow cards for celebrating his goals than scoring them this season

    RICHARLISON has bizarrely received more yellow cards for celebrating goals than he has actually scored this season.The Tottenham star came off the bench to break his Premier League duck for the club with an equaliser at Liverpool deep into additional time on Sunday.
    Richarlison celebrated a goal against Fulham by ripping his top off before it was disallowedCredit: Getty
    His shirt was off again after he broke his Spurs duck at AnfieldCredit: Alamy
    He celebrated by whipping off his shirt and racing to the delirious away end at Anfield before shushing the home crowd.
    And that resulted in the referee issuing him with a caution for removing his jersey.
    However, his joy was short-lived as Liverpool went straight up the other end to win it as Diogo Jota sealed a 4-3 triumph.
    That is not the first time this season that Richarlison has found himself in hot water after finding the net.
    READ MORE IN FOOTBALL
    The 25-year-old forward celebrated what he thought was his first Tottenham goal in style back in September.
    The Brazil international, who joined the North London club in a £60m move from Everton last summer, was playing his first full 90 minutes for his new employers against Fulham.
    He finished from close-range and believed that he had put his team 3-1 up against Fulham – only to find out that his finish would not count.
    Richarlison proceeded to pick the ball out of the back of the net before kicking it up and into the crowd.
    Most read in Football
    FREE BETS AND SIGN UP DEALS – BEST NEW CUSTOMER OFFERS
    He then sprinted over to the corner flag while ripping his shirt off to celebrate with fans.
    But, while he was caught up in the moment, the goal was being reviewed by VAR.
    It was then overturned as Ryan Sessegnon was in an offside position before making his run into the box.
    Not only was Richarlison stripped of his goal, but to add further salt in the wound, he was also booked for taking his shirt off.
    Following his shirty antics at Anfield, he now has double the amount of bookings for performing that gesture than he does Premier League goals for Spurs.
    One fan reacted to that stat by saying: “He really is perfect for Spurs.”
    Another wrote: “Could only happen at Tottenham!”
    While another tweeted: “Just Tottenham things.” More