More stories

  • in

    Man City ‘eye Harry Kane transfer move with Pep Guardiola wanting Tottenham star to replace Sergio Aguero’

    MANCHESTER CITY are lining up a sensational move for Harry Kane, according to reports.
    The Independent claims Pep Guardiola named the Spurs star when talking about potential new signings during negotiations for his new deal.

    Pep Guardiola has reportedly asked Manchester City to look at buying Harry Kane Credit: EPA

    Spurs forward Kane was instrumental in helping his side beat City 2-0Credit: Getty Images – Getty

    The Spanish boss, 49, agreed a two-year extension at the Etihad last week, citing ‘unfinished business’ at the club.
    And after Kane was so influential in Spurs’ 2-0 win over City on Saturday, Guardiola’s interest is only likely to grow.
    The report alleges the former Barcelona manager would like City to investigate the possibility of signing Kane.
    It claims those close to the 27-year-old believe he may push for a move away from Tottenham if Jose Mourinho’s side fail to win a trophy this season.

    But it is understood if Spurs start to pick up silverware he will not be tempted by a move away.
    Spurs’ win over the Citizens took them to the summit of the Premier League but they are only above defending champs Liverpool on goal difference.
    City are struggling for goals having only mustered ten in their eight league games and their failure to find the net on a regular basis has left them down in 13th place.
    Kane could be the perfect answer to their problems, having bagged seven goals and nine assists in just nine Prem games.

    Prolific Argentine Sergio Aguero was left as an unused sub at the Tottenham Hotspur Stadium as Guardiola instead threw on Raheem Sterling and Phil Foden.
    Guardiola admitted his side miss Aguero leading the line, but said he has concerns about his fitness after struggling with injury.
    After the match, he said: “I am not going to say we don’t need Sergio, we need him.
    “But Sergio at 32 was five months injured, with a difficult and dangerous injury. He came back, played and got injured again.
    “We want him and I want Sergio fit because I discover how important he is for us, with what he has done in Premier League, but we have to be careful to not get him injured again.”
    Guardiola pointed to his side’s failure to convert their chances after drawing a blank in North London despite firing off 22 shots.
    And Kane may be the ideal long-term replacement for the club’s record goalscorer Aguero.

    Michael Owen says that Harry Kane will not leave Tottenham because of his huge transfer fee and age More

  • in

    Harry Kane will NOT leave Tottenham because of his huge transfer fee and age, claims England legend Michael Owen

    MICHAEL OWEN cannot see Harry Kane leaving Tottenham – because of his age and how much he would cost.
    There have been question marks surrounding whether England captain Kane, 27, would one day quit Spurs if they continue not to win silverware.

    Harry Kane is still yet to win a trophy with TottenhamCredit: Reuters

    Michael Owen cannot see another club affording the striker anytime soonCredit: PA:Press Association

    But due to his transfer value being north of £100million, and the fact that most clubs who can afford those sums prefer to spend it on younger players, Owen thinks Kane will stay put.
    The former Three Lions striker, who himself left Liverpool for Real Madrid in 2004 for just £8m as his contract was running down, told talkSPORT: “Of course he’s capable [of a move].
    “But I can’t really see it.
    “To buy him, and with all due respect and I’m a huge Harry Kane fan, the economics of it mean we’re talking massive, massive money.

    “Over £100million.
    “Would you go and buy Harry Kane for that type of money when he’s in the actual absolute prime of his career?
    “Most clubs now are looking to spend £100m on 19, 20, 21-year-olds where you’re going to get longevity and value.
    “Don’t get me wrong, there might be teams that are desperate for a striker and just think, ‘Right, sod it, they’re here and now, let’s just go and try and win something’.

    “That desperation might come to the fore. But realistically, I would say he’s a Tottenham player for life.”

    Kane bagged his 200th Tottenham goal on his 300th appearance for the club in the recent win over Ludogorets.
    He followed that up with a late winner at West Brom which saw him move level with Michael Owen in the all-time Premier League scoring charts.
    Saturday sees Manchester City travel to North London as Kane looks to continue his fine scoring form.

    Kane and Son are close to becoming the most-prolific duo in PL history

    Harry Kane smashes goals in during England training More

  • in

    Arsenal and Chelsea in battle to land Jerome Boateng on free transfer as Bayern ‘refuse to offer him new deal’

    ARSENAL and Chelsea are in a battle to sign Jerome Boateng on a free transfer, according to reports.
    And London rivals Tottenham may join the chase for the German defender.

    ⚠️ Read our Arsenal live blog for the latest news from The Emirates

    Arsenal, Chelsea and Tottenham may all make moves to try and sign Jerome Boateng on a free transferCredit: Reuters
    According to Sport Bild in Germany, Bayern Munich will refuse to offer Boateng a new deal.
    The former Manchester City man, 32, is out of contract at the end of the season.
    That means he can enter negotiations with European clubs over a pre-contract agreement to move in the summer.

    Boateng came through at Hertha Berlin before three years at Hamburg and then joined Manchester City.
    After a season at the Etihad, he returned to his homeland by signing for Bayern in 2011.
    The centre-back has 333 appearances, eight Bundesligas, two Champions Leagues and a Club World Cup for the Bavarians.
    Boateng and Niklas Sule have battled it out to partner David Alaba – also in the final year of his deal – at the heart of Hans-Dieter Flick’s side so far this term.

    But Premier League sides may look to bring the experienced defender back to England next summer despite strong starts defensively to the season.

    Boateng has been heavily involved for the European champions at the start of this seasonCredit: EPA

    Caballero and Cech are the oldest players in the Premier League

    Chelsea and Arsenal have conceded ten while Spurs have shipped a league-best nine along with Manchester City, Wolves, Aston Villa and leaders Leicester.
    Sokratis, David Luiz and Shkodran Mustafi all have their contracts expiring next summer.
    So even though Mikel Arteta will have the likes of Gabriel, William Saliba and Pablo Mari at his disposal, the Arsenal boss could benefit from the addition of Boateng.
    Chelsea landed veteran Thiago Silva for nothing this summer and are already reaping the benefits with his commanding performances at the back.
    Frank Lampard may be tempted by a similar signing if Silva continues to be a success.
    At Tottenham, Jose Mourinho saw one experienced defender leave in Jan Vertonghen.
    Joe Rodon did come in from Swansea but so far the Special One has generally opted for Eric Dier, Davinson Sanchez and Toby Alderweireld at the back.

    Jerome Boateng scores pair of wonder goals for Bayern Munich in the Bundesliga More

  • in

    How Man Utd could line up under Pochettino with Kane, Alderweireld and Dybala after club ‘make contact’ with Argentine

    MANCHESTER UNITED have reportedly made contact with Mauricio Pochettino and the former Spurs manager could revolutionise Ole Gunnar Solskjaer’s squad.
    According to reports from the MEN, United chiefs have contacted Poch’s representatives as the pressure builds on Norwegian boss Solskjaer.

    Mauricio Pochettino could replace Ole Gunnar Solskjaer at Manchester UnitedCredit: PA:Empics Sport

    SunSport understands there has been no contact with Pochettino yet despite him being the ODDS-ON favourite for the job.
    But here’s how the Red Devils could line-up if the move goes through, with Solskjaer also favourite to be the next Premier League manager sacked.
    The big statement signing would be England skipper Harry Kane to lead the line for Poch’s Red Devils.
    The pair were very close at Tottenham and Kane has shown exactly why he has been linked with the club in the past after a blistering start to the season.

    The 27-year-old incredibly has FOURTEEN goal involvements in just seven league matches, with six goals and eight assists to his name.
    The club will need another striker as Odion Ighalo’s extended loan move from Shanghai Shenhua ends in the New Year.
    As well as talisman Kane, the Argentine coach, 48, may bring in further January additions if he is given the top job at Old Trafford.
    Compatriot Paulo Dybala was previously linked with a move to Carrington and Pochettino could be tempted to bring the prolific wideman to the Prem as United are keen to strengthen their options on the wing.

    Next Premier League manager to leave odds – Ladbrokes

    Ole Gunnar Solskjaer: 5/6
    Slaven Bilic: 9/4
    Scott Parker: 4/1
    Sean Dyche: 10/1
    Chris Wilder: 12/1
    Frank Lampard: 16/1
    Roy Hodgson: 16/1
    David Moyes: 20/1
    Steve Bruce: 24/1
    Pep Guardiola: 25/1
    LADBROKES BET £5 GET £20 FREE HERE*

    Last month Dybala, 26, allegedly clashed with Juventus’ chief Fabio Paratici in the tunnel after again missing out on a place in the starting XI and may seek an exit route.
    United’s defensive problems are no secret and Poch may turn to old club Spurs again as he looks for a dependable centre-back partner for skipper Harry Maguire.
    Belgian ace Toby Alderweireld, 31, was once rumoured to be making the move North and – after losing his starting spot under Poch’s successor Jose Mourinho – should be available.
    Pochettino will be inclined to try and get all his best players on the park as he looks to make his mark in a new role.
    And club chiefs will be keen to finally see Donny van de Beek regularly in the XI after splashing out £40million to bring him in from Ajax.
    If the former Southampton manager can get the Dutchman firing alongside Paul Pogba – with Bruno Fernandes playing as a No10 – then he will be on his way to a successful stint in charge.

    Agbonlahor says Man Utd should sack ‘soft’ Ole Gunnar Solskjaer and replace him with ex-Spurs boss Mauricio Pochettino More

  • in

    Barcelona ‘considering transfer swoop for Tottenham ace Ndombele’ but struggling LaLiga giants will wait for the summer

    BARCELONA are reportedly plotting a summer transfer bid for Tottenham midfielder Tanguy Ndombele.
    Reports emerged earlier this year that the Catalans were interested in the Frenchman.

    Tanguy Ndombele is reportedly wanted by BarcelonaCredit: Getty Images – Getty

    The midfielder endured a tough start to life at Tottenham but is improving under Jose MourinhoCredit: AFP or licensors

    Jose Mourinho largely ignored Ndombele last season but recent weeks have seen the £54million signing begin to make his mark at Tottenham.
    Ahead of Thursday’s trip to Ludogorets, he has featured 10 times and scored twice – matching his goal tally from the 2019-20 campaign.
    But Ndombele could be given the chance to leave North London, according to Italian journalist Fabrizio Romano.
    It is claimed that Barcelona were keen on the player in the summer and are considering a fresh move at the end of this season.

    A midfielder is said to be high on the Catalans’ agenda after a bid for Liverpool star Georginio Wijnaldum fell through.
    However, massive financial problems are taking a toll on the Camp Nou club.

    A second round of player wage cuts is being discussed with major targets, such as Memphis Depay or Lautaro Martinez, missed out on in the summer.
    Lionel Messi’s contract situation remains unchanged too, while on the pitch Barcelona have suffered their worst LaLiga start in 18 years.

    Ndombele was touted for a swift exit after only a year at the club but is now becoming a first-team regular under Mourinho.
    The 23-year-old recently talked up his relationship with the Spurs boss, admitting that last season was a far from ideal start.
    He told Tottenham’s in-house media: “I’ve got a good relationship with the coach – we speak together, we laugh together.

    It’s true that the last season was difficult – to change leagues like that, it isn’t easy.
    Tanguy Ndombele

    “The more difficult moments last season have been left behind us. We’re now both trying our hardest to help the team.
    “I find myself working harder in training and in the matches.
    “But above all I think I’ve just settled in better. It’s true that the last season was difficult – to change leagues like that, it isn’t easy.
    “But now I feel like I’m really settling in better and I really hope that I’m on the right track for the future.”

    Spurs boss Jose Mourinho admits Gareth Bale isn’t the star he once was but says neither are Cristiano Ronaldo or Lionel Messi More

  • in

    Mido blames Tottenham for blocking dream Man City transfer and setting him on path to misery at Middlesbrough

    MIDO has accused former club Tottenham of blocking his dream move to Manchester City – and setting him on the path to misery at Middlesbrough.
    The Egypt ace shone with Spurs following his arrival from Roma in 2005, scoring 20 goals in 63 games.

    Egyptian ace Mido accused Spurs of blocking a move to Manchester CityCredit: PA:Press Association

    Striker Mido was on the brink of joining City, then managed by Stuart Pearce, in January 2007 – only for the deal to collapse minutes before the transfer window closed.
    The 37-year-old has now accused Spurs’ Dutch boss Martin Jol of wrecking his hopes.
    Mido moved on to Boro later that year, but failed to prosper. He went on to have brief spells with Wigan, West Ham and Barnsley as well as rejoin former clubs in Ajax and Egyptians Zamalek.
    Meanwhile City have gone from strength to strength since being taken over by Abu Dhabi investors in 2008, winning four Premier League titles and seven domestic cups.

    Mido told KingFut: “Martin Jol blocked my move to Man City after I reached an agreement with Stuart Pearce, their coach back then.
    “That came after I’d played against Arsenal in the Carling Cup and scored a goal.
    “There was an agreement – but Jol told me that he couldn’t let me leave after that performance.
    “After that, I was about to play the main role – but got an injury setback that kept me out of playing for a long period.”

    Boro paid Spurs £6million for Mido – who underwent an extreme body transformation earlier this year – after seeing off rival interest from Birmingham City.
    The striker continued: “Steve Bruce was Birmingham’s manager back then, and he wanted to sign me.
    “But Boro were UEFA Cup finalists, and in the top ten – maybe top six – in the league back then. Also, the contract was very good.
    “I wasn’t lucky at the club, because they were experiencing a bad time after their peak.
    “I think even until now the club hasn’t recovered from what happened then.
    “Yakubu, Mark Viduka and many [other] big names left that summer, and the club changed its plan with a new young coach in Gareth Southgate.

    Mido joined Middlesbrough instead of Manchester CityCredit: PA:Press Association

    Mido worked with a young Gareth Southgate on TeesideCredit: News Group Newspapers Ltd
    “The coach’s lack of experience and the big names leaving set Middlesbrough on a declining curve. They still haven’t healed from that period.
    “I didn’t know before accepting to join them that they would decline like that.
    “The club wasn’t honest with me that they were going to cut their budget at once, set free all the big names and get a young coach, which was the owner’s decision.
    “I made a big mistake leaving Spurs for Middlesbrough. I wasn’t patient enough to play a match and not play the next one.
    “I should have been more patient. Joining Boro wasn’t the right decision to take at that time.”

    Mido shows off new ripped body in workout after incredibly shedding 8st in a year More

  • in

    Tottenham sign Joe Rodon in deadline-day transfer after snapping up talented Welsh youngster

    TOTTENHAM have completed their move for Swansea defender Joe Rodon.
    The North London side have been locked in talks hoping to convince the Swans to lower their £18million asking price.

    1

    Tottenham managed to cut a deal for Swansea’s Joe Rodon before the 5pm transfer deadlineCredit: Getty Images – Getty

    And Jose Mourinho has finally got his man after having a £7m bid for the Wales international rejected by the Championship club two weeks ago.
    The Swans insisted they valued the 22-year-old at £18m and have been holding out hoping to get top price for the centre-back.

    But Tottenham chairman Daniel Levy was reluctant to go to that price.

    He has already splashed out big this summer bringing in Gareth Bale, Sergio Reguilon, Pierre-Emile Hojbjerg and Matt Doherty.
    Levy was hoping to agree a package which sees an up-front payment in the region of £10m with further instalments of £5m.
    The centre-half is regarded as one of the best talents outside the top flight.

    Jose Mourinho has made it clear he wants to strengthen his options in the centre of his defence after Jan Vertonghen left North London at the end of last season.

    Should the two clubs find an agreement over the next few hours then it is unlikely personal terms would be an issue to sort out.

    Gareth Bale tears up Tottenham training and scores wonder goal leaving fans drooling about first game back More

  • in

    Tottenham in talks to sign Joe Rodon in deadline-day transfer but trying to lower Swansea’s asking price to £15m

    TOTTENHAM are hoping to get Swansea to lower their price for Joe Rodon to £15million.
    The North London side want to seal a deadline-day deal for the defender.

    1

    Tottenham are hopeful of closing out a deal for Swansea’s Joe Rodon before the 5pm transfer deadlineCredit: PA:Press Association

    Spurs saw a £7m bid for the Wales international rejected by the Championship club two weeks ago.
    But they still retain hope of reaching an agreement before the 5pm cut-off today.
    The Swans have insisted they value the 22-year-old at £18m and have been holding out hoping to get top price for the centre-back.

    But Tottenham chairman Daniel Levy has been reluctant to go to that price.
    He has already splashed out big this summer bringing in Gareth Bale, Sergio Reguilon, Pierre-Emile Hojbjerg and Matt Doherty.
    Levy would prefer to come up with a package which sees an up-front payment in the region of £10m with further instalments of £5m.
    Spurs believe that will be enough to tempt Swansea into doing a deal now for Rodon.

    The centre-half is regarded as one of the best talents outside the top flight.

    Jose Mourinho has made it clear he wants to strengthen his options in the centre of his defence after Jan Vertonghen left North London at the end of last season.
    Should the two clubs find an agreement over the next few hours then it is unlikely personal terms would be an issue to sort out.

    Gareth Bale tears up Tottenham training and scores wonder goal leaving fans drooling about first game back More