More stories

  • in

    Tottenham’s transfer bid for £40m-rated Sporting star Pedro Porro could be sabotaged by two players in their squad

    TOTTENHAM’S bid to sign Sporting Lisbon star Pedro Porro could be sabotaged by two of Spurs’ own players, according to reports.The club appear keen to bring in the wing-back and are reportedly preparing a bid worth near to his £37million release clause.
    Pedro Porro has been linked with Tottenham and ChelseaCredit: Getty
    However, the signing of the right-sided player could provide manager Antonio Conte with a major headache.
    Spurs still have Emerson and Matt Doherty and with both in the squad there could be no space for Porro.
    Emerson has previously attracted interest from Atletico Madrid and Roma, although the player is happy in North London, report the Evening Standard.
    The Brazilian has not started a game for Spurs since the World Cup break with Doherty being selected ahead of him.
    READ MORE IN FOOTBALL
    Therefore, Conte is unlikely to want to offload the Irishman.
    Tottenham also have a third option for the right-wing-back position, Djed Spence, who they signed for £20m from Middlesbrough in the summer.
    The 22-year-old has not started a league match for the club since his switch and he could reportedly leave on loan with Wolves keen.
    If Tottenham want to seal the deal for Porro they could have to move quickly with Chelsea also monitoring him.
    Most read in Football
    BETTING SPECIAL – BEST FOOTBALL BETTING SITES IN THE UK
    They see the 23-year-old Spaniard as perfect competition for Reece James.
    Porro is highly rated after an impressive few seasons at Sporting.
    He helped the side win the league last season and this term he has chipped in with two goals and ten assists.
    Porro has also been capped once by Spain. More

  • in

    Tottenham’s Ben Davies praises Arsenal for sticking by Mikel Arteta – and says rivals’ season is motivating his side

    TOTTENHAM defender Ben Davies has praised Arsenal for sticking by Mikel Arteta during the tough times – and says their rivals’ stellar season has been motivating Spurs.Arteta has guided the Gunners to the top of the table, having dropped just SEVEN points from their 17 league games so far.
    Ben Davies will hope to start the North London derby on SundayCredit: Sportimage
    But it was not always such plain sailing, particularly at the start of last season when a hat-trick of league defeats put Arsenal bottom of the Premier League, prompting some fans to call for Arteta’s head.
    Arch-rivals Spurs will hope to inflict a second league defeat of the campaign on the Spaniard’s side when they host the North London derby on Sunday.
    But Tottenham left-back Davies confessed to being impressed with the patience shown by the Gunners board.
    The Welshman said: “Clearly, what Arteta has done there has been very good.
    READ MORE IN FOOTBALL
    “But I’m sure there were very tough times for him as well when things weren’t going their way. 
    “So credit to the club for sticking by him, it seems to be paying dividends.”
    While Arsenal have been almost flawless this season, Spurs have been up and down.
    FREE BETS AND SIGN UP DEALS – BEST NEW CUSTOMER OFFERS
    They are fifth in the league and through to the knockout stages of the Champions League, but performances have been found wanting at times.
    Most read in Football
    On watching their neighbours shine, Davies added: “It’s just extra motivation for us. They’re playing well. 
    “They look like a very good side at the moment. 
    “They’re giving every team they play against tough games but we just want to focus on ourselves right now and hopefully at the end of the season we’re there or thereabouts.”
    Spurs go into the powder-keg fixture 11 points off Arsenal, having played a game more.
    A victory for the white side of North London would be a huge boost to their top-four prospects.
    They have had a free week to prepare for the game too which has been a rarity this term.

    Antonio Conte’s men benefitted from there regularly being seven days between games in the second half of last season.
    It led to them pipping Arsenal to fourth despite being four points behind them with three games to go.
    Davies claimed the extra time to work is crucial because it gives Conte a chance to work his magic in training.
    The 29-year-old explained: “When we do have the time on the training pitch, we have a world-class manager who can really whip us into shape when we have that time. 
    “Whenever you have time on the training pitch, your ideas will become more clear. 
    “You’ll become probably technically better knowing this is our plan going into the game. 
    “It’s more about the time that we get and we know that in football now, with games every three days, it’s not always easy to do that.”
    The next few weeks could go a long way to defining Tottenham’s season. 
    Mikel Arteta has completely turned it around at ArsenalCredit: Getty
    After Arsenal, they face Manchester City twice in the league, with a trip to in-form Fulham  and an FA Cup clash at Preston sandwiched in between.
    Read More on The Sun
    Davies commented: “When you play against the big teams you can look at it in two ways.
    “You can either look at it as being tough or as an opportunity to bounce up the table and that’s the way we want to see it.” More

  • in

    Tottenham to allow Lucas Moura to leave on a free in summer with star able to talk to clubs in January transfer window

    LUCAS MOURA is set to leave Tottenham on a free at the end of the season as his contract will not be renewed, according to reports.The Brazilian winger signed for the club five years ago and played a key role in Spurs reaching the 2019 Champions League final.
    Lucas Moura is set to leave Tottenham on a free in the summerCredit: Getty
    The winger has seen his game time reduce under Antonio ConteCredit: Richard Pelham / The Sun
    But he has seen his role reduce under Antonio Conte following the arrival of Dejan Kulusevski last year.
    Injury has also limited Moura to just two starts this season.
    And Tottenham have decided not to activate the option in his contract to extend his stay by another year, report The Telegraph.
    That means he will be available on a free transfer in the summer, though Spurs are open to offers for him this month.
    READ MORE IN FOOTBALL
    Aston Villa wanted Moura last summer and made a last-ditch attempt to sign him on deadline day.
    Moura, 30, reportedly rejected an approach from the Villans.
    He is also believed to have said no to Newcastle but is now free to agree a pre-contract agreement with foreign clubs.
    Sao Paulo have also been linked with a move to Moura and the forward is believed keen on a return to his childhood team.
    Most read in Football
    BETTING SPECIAL – BEST FOOTBALL BETTING SITES IN THE UK
    Reports claimed he is in talks to join the Brazilian outfit, which he first joined as a 13-year-old.
    He has made 213 appearances for Tottenham, scoring 38 goals. More

  • in

    Chelsea ‘leapfrog Tottenham in Pedro Porro transfer race’ with Blues desperate to seal £37m deal

    CHELSEA have overtaken Tottenham in the race to sign Pedro Porro, according to reports.Spanish full-back Porro, 23, is highly-rated at Sporting Lisbon and has attracted heavy interest from the Premier League.
    Pedro Porro is the subject of a tug-of-war between Chelsea and TottenhamCredit: EPA
    Here’s how Porro has performed in the Champions League for Sporting Lisbon this season
    Tottenham have been a long-term admirer of his, owing to their lack of quality at right wing-back.
    However, with the North Londoners baulking at the Spaniard’s £37million release clause, Chelsea have the opportunity to take advantage.
    And according to Mundo Deportivo, the Blues are now the club “closest” to signing him.
    They suggest the recent run of poor results has added to arguments to bring in reinforcements, with Reece James a frequent injury worry.
    READ MORE ON CHELSEA
    Graham Potter will be happy to add a genuine quality option in the position after he bolstered his misfiring attack with a loan move for Joao Felix.
    For Antonio Conte and Tottenham, it will come as a bitter blow given their desperate need for an improvement in the position, with Fabrizio Romano reaffirming that Porro is their main target.

    Conte heavily endorsed a move for a right wing-back in the summer, with Tottenham securing Djed Spence and Ivan Perisic.
    But Spence seldom plays under the Italian, while Perisic operates mainly on the left flank.
    Most read in Football
    BETTING SPECIAL – BEST OFFERS FOR EXISTING CUSTOMERS
    Both sides are seeing the top four slip away from their grasp, which would deprive them of the Champions League next season, unless one of them can win the competition.
    Tottenham remain close to fourth placed Manchester United after losing the spot over the festive period and have been erratic since the World Cup.
    Meanwhile, Chelsea’s struggles speak for themselves.
    They are currently 10th in the Prem, with a damning stat revealing their poor form under Potter – though the Blues had slipped below par even under predecessor Thomas Tuchel. More

  • in

    Chelsea ‘could hijack Tottenham’s Pedro Porro transfer as Spurs consider whether to trigger £37m release clause’

    CHELSEA could hijack Tottenham’s move for Sporting Lisbon star Pedro Porro, according to reports.The Blues are in dreadful form and desperately need reinforcements this month in hope of a more positive second half of the season.
    Chelsea are trying to hijack Tottenham’s move for Pedro PorroCredit: Getty
    One position that needs to be addressed is right-back.
    That’s because Chelsea don’t have a genuine back-up for Reece James, who’s struggled with consistent injury problems.
    James is once again sidelined after suffering another knee problem on his comeback against Bournemouth last month.
    Veteran Cesar Azpilicueta, 33, has been providing cover.
    READ MORE ON CHELSEA
    As a result, Chelsea could enter the race for highly-rated Sporting man Porro, according to CBS Sports Golazo journalist Ben Jacobs, speaking on the Last Word on Spurs podcast.
    The 21-year-old has caught the eye in Portugal, registering two goals and 12 assists this season.
    He’s particularly impressed in the Champions League and his overall record for Sporting is 30 goal contributions is 94 appearances since arriving from Manchester City in 2020.
    But the Blues face competition from London rivals Tottenham, who are also in desperate need of a right-sided player.
    Most read in Football
    Although Spurs are unsure whether to trigger his £37m release clause, so Chelsea could swoop in and take advantage.
    HOW TO GET FREE BETS ON FOOTBALL
    He might be Antonio Conte’s top right wing-back target, but Sporting are only willing to sell him if someone meets his release clause.
    Chelsea have already made three January signings in Benoit Badiashile, David Datro Fofana, who made his debut in the defeat at Manchester City, and Brazilian teenager Andrey Santos.
    But the Blues are already out of BOTH domestic cups and are 10 points behind fourth in the Premier League, so their remaining business could go some way to deciding their season. More

  • in

    Man Utd ‘name Harry Kane in stunning three-man summer striker shortlist with Wout Weghorst transfer just short-term fix’

    MANCHESTER UNITED are hoping a loan for Wout Weghorst will only be a short-term solution for the striker position.And the Red Devils are reportedly planning a summer move for a big-name attacker with three players on their shortlist.
    Harry Kane is reportedly one of the names on Manchester United’s shortlistCredit: Getty
    Serie A star Victor Osimhen is also on the listCredit: EPA
    Red Bull Salzburg striker Benjamin Sesko is another targetCredit: Getty
    Top of that list, according to ESPN is Tottenham’s Harry Kane.
    While they are also keeping an eye on Napoli’s Victor Osimhen and RB Salzburg star Benjamin Sesko.
    United have long been linked with Kane only to be thwarted by Spurs’ sky-high demands.
    That situation remains unlikely to change, but Old Trafford chiefs hope Kane’s dwindling contract might make Tottenham entertain offers.
    READ MORE ON MAN UTD
    Osimhen would be a different style of striker, but has been prolific for Napoli since joining the club and has continued his form this season with 11 goals in 16 games.
    While Sesko is more of an unknown quantity but is viewed as one of the most exciting prospects in Europe.
    And although Salzburg’s sister club RB Leipzig have reportedly agreed on a £20million deal to sign him, it is believed that the deal could be cancelled should a team come in with a higher offer.
    HOW TO GET FREE BETS ON FOOTBALL
    United, in the meantime, have been linked with Dutch international Weghorst, who is currently on loan at Turkish side Besiktas.
    Most read in Football
    A move for the 30-year-old striker is set to only be a short-term fix for the club, according to the ESPN report.
    Should he arrive at the club, Weghorst will offer manager Erik ten Hag a different option up front as he is more of a traditional number nine.
    United will hope that Weghorst can fill the void left by Cristiano Ronaldo, who left the club in November.
    He would then compete with more typical wide players such as Anthony Martial and Marcus Rashford for the striker role.
    The report says that United are aiming to have a “clean slate” in the summer.
    The report has suggested that United are not able to make moves now as the players that are available are “castoffs who don’t play, strikers who have been injured, or those who just aren’t good enough.”
    The club are cautious about rushing into a long-term commitment with another striker after their recent struggles with players.
    United spent big on Romelu Lukaku, while the likes of Edinson Cavani and Radamel Falcao joined the club for high wages.
    Wout Weghorst is seen as ‘short-term fix’ for Manchester UnitedCredit: Getty More

  • in

    Glamorous female football star Gabby Howell cheers on Tottenham during FA Cup win over Portsmouth

    GLAMOUROUS Football star Gabby Howell joined supporters in the stands as Tottenham took on Portsmouth in the FA Cup. Howell, who turns out for Sutton United Women, used her downtime to go and cheer on Spurs.
    Gabby Howell took in a game at her beloved TottenhamCredit: Instagram / @_gabbyhowell
    She regularly posts glamourous pics to her Instagram pageCredit: Instagram / @_gabbyhowell
    Howell turns out for Sutton UnitedCredit: Instagram / @_gabbyhowell
    Taking to Instagram, she was snapped in pairing light blue jeans and a jacket, accompanied by a black handbag and black boots.
    She captioned her post: “U ARMY.”
    And fortunately for Tottenham, talisman Harry Kane stepped up with a special finish to help the North Londoners progress past Portsmouth, who proved a tough nut to crack.
    Thanks to Kane’s stunning goal, Tottenham have now set up an away tie at Preston in the fourth round.
    READ MORE ON THE BEAUTIFUL GAME
    The 22-year-old, who plays as both a midfielder and a defender for Sutton, has a following of 235,000 on the social media platform.
    Howell regularly shares glamourous pics to her Instagram page.
    Recently she posted a photo of her in a blue bikini as she enjoyed a holiday in Ibiza.
    Howell has previously opened up on vile abuse she has received from trolls, revealing that she wants to be a source of inspiration for young girls.
    Most read in Football
    She said: “You can be both – you can play football and like wearing high heels…
    “I like to keep (the hateful comments) on my profiles and I don’t delete them.
    “Young girls think they want to be an influencer but they don’t see the downsides. I like to make people aware.
    “Not everyone’s going to like you. I repeat that to myself when I see these comments.”
    Howell shared snaps of her holiday to IbizaCredit: Instagram / @_gabbyhowell
    She has 235,000 followers on InstagramCredit: https://www.instagram.com/_gabbyhowell/ More

  • in

    Man Utd and Tottenham on alert over shock Jordan Pickford transfer with Everton star in deadlock talks over pay-rise

    JORDAN Pickford has told Everton he wants to STAY at the club, SunSport can reveal.But the England number one and the Merseyside giants are deadlocked in a row over pay.
    Jordan Pickford is in high demandCredit: Getty
    And that has alerted Manchester United and Tottenham, who are now both willing to nearly double his £100,000 wages to secure his signature.
    A source told SunSport: “Jordan wants to stay at Everton.
    “He loves the place, and is settled in the area he lives. But the club is not willing to meet the wage increase he is asking for.
    “The player and his agent have asked Bill Kenwright and the board to at least meet them halfway.
    READ MORE TRANSFER NEWS
    “But the club is only willing to offer him a few thousand a week more than he’s currently earning.
    “The big problem they have is, of course, the fact that relegation is looming over their heads.
    “It means they can’t be budgeting for big wage increases when they might be in the Championship in 12 months time.
    “Despite the risk of going down, Jordan is still willing to commit his future to the club now.
    Most read in Football
    FREE BETS AND SIGN UP DEALS – BEST NEW CUSTOMER OFFERS
    “He thinks he can help them get out of the mess they are in, and move forward.
    “Lampard is keen to get it resolved too because he thinks it would send a message to the fans and players that they are determined to keep their best players.”

    Everton are in a huge slump at present after being KOd from the FA Cup following a 3-1 defeat at United on Friday night.
    They were also thumped 4-1 at home to Brighton in the Premier League the week before.
    And boss Frank Lampard is now fighting for his job ahead of a crunch clash against Southampton this weekend.
    But the tug-of-war over Pickford is what is alerting other Premier League clubs.
    Our source added: “Manchester United and Spurs both now think they can get the player and are both willing to increase his wages by nearly £100,000 a week on top of what he already gets.
    “To them, Pickford is a player who could come in for five years and be the number one, so it’s a sound investment.
    “There may too still be interest from abroad, but if Jordan moves he’d prefer to stay in England because he has a young family and is settled here.”
    Pickford and Wag Megan would rather stay in England than move abroadCredit: Darren Fletcher – The Sun More