More stories

  • in

    Tyson Fury’s promoter hails ‘fearless’ Oleksandr Usyk and admits Gypsy King ‘wasn’t prepared’ for Francis Ngannou fight

    BOB ARUM has heaped praise on Oleksandr Usyk and admitted Tyson Fury “wasn’t prepared” for his fight with Francis Ngannou. Ngannou put his MMA career on hold in October when he crossed over to the boxing ring to face Fury.
    Tyson Fury with promoters Frank Warren, Bob Arum and rival Oleksandr UsykCredit: Getty
    Francis Ngannou lost a controversial decision to FuryCredit: Getty
    And he almost caused the mother of all upsets with a knockdown in round three but the ex-UFC champion was beaten controversially on points.
    Fury, 35 insisted he gave Ngannou, 37, his full respect in training camp.
    But Hall of Fame promoter Arum – who has worked with the Gypsy King since 2019 – hinted otherwise.
    He told BoxingScene: “Let’s be honest…
    READ MORE IN BOXING
    “You watch Fury’s last fight with Ngannou, either he really wasn’t prepared for that fight, or he’s lost a step. When fighters get up in age, that happens.
    “I really believe it’s the former – that Fury didn’t prepare as well as he should have [against Ngannou], who, by the way, has the tools to become a force in the heavyweight division.” 
    Fury’s historic undisputed title bout against Oleksandr Usyk was postponed from December to February 17 as a result of his fight with Ngannou.
    It will be the first time in heavyweight history that all four world titles will be on the line and Arum was full of praise for Usyk, 36.
    Most read in Boxing

    TYSON FURY VS OLEKSANDR USYK: ALL THE DETAILS YOU NEED AHEAD OF HUGE UNDISPUTED HEAVYWEIGHT BOUT
    CASINO SPECIAL – BEST CASINO WELCOME OFFERS
    He said: “I really believe [Fury vs Usyk is] going to be a fascinating fight.
    “Usyk is a very smart fighter. He prepares extremely well. He’s fearless. That will be a very big test for Fury.
    “Fury knows that. He’s been training assiduously for the fight.” 
    Fury facing off with Usyk ahead of the title unificationCredit: Reuters More

  • in

    Floyd Mayweather, 46, called out by legendary kickboxing star after fight was dramatically cancelled

    FLOYD MAYWEATHER has been called out by legendary kickboxer Liam Harrison after their fight was dramatically cancelled. Last February Harrison – an eight-time world champion – was due to face Mayweather in an exhibition at London’s O2 Arena.
    Kickboxing legend Liam Harrison called out Floyd Mayweather
    Floyd Mayweather is retired from boxing but still competes in exhibitionsCredit: Rex
    But a horror knee injury caused him to painfully pull out of the bout.
    He told Sky Sports: “I got asked to fight Floyd Mayweather last year and I couldn’t believe what was happening.
    “After one of my fights, I got a bad knee injury. My MCL was torn, my ACL was torn, my knee was just flopping around my leg!
    “They asked me to do the fight and I thought it’s only boxing, I don’t have to throw any kicks. I thought I’ll take it, so I just said yeah.
    READ MORE IN BOXING
    “For the first couple of days I was training, hitting pads, doing pad work, I thought I’m alright here, I’ll get through this.
    “Then when I started sparring and I didn’t have control of where their movements were going, people started pushing me back, after training I was getting out, unwrapping my leg. It was all just swollen.
    “It got to the point where I was training hard for a day then I couldn’t walk for three days just because of how badly damaged my leg was.”
    Brit Harrison, 38, was even left considering postponing knee surgery to roll the dice and fight Mayweather, 46.
    Most read in Boxing
    CASINO SPECIAL – BEST CASINO WELCOME OFFERS
    He revealed: “I said to my surgeon this is the chance to fight Floyd Mayweather here, can I get through this camp do you reckon?
    “The fight was scheduled for February 17, or something like that, and my surgery was due for January 30. I said: ‘Can I push it back and get through the fight?’
    “He said: ‘Listen I’m not going to tell you what to do, but you might do some lasting damage here.
    “‘You might end up walking with a limp, you’ll need a knee replacement by the time you’re 40.’ He said: ‘Is all that going to be worth it?'”
    Mayweather officially retired in 2017 after beating UFC superstar Conor McGregor, 35, in ten rounds.
    I had to pull out and I was absolutely devastated. But you never know, it might come back around.Liam Harrison on Floyd Mayweather
    But he has continued to box in exhibitions against names from the MMA, martial arts and social media world.
    His last was against the grandson of notorious mob boss John Gotti, which ended in a disqualification with a rematch set for February.
    After Harrison withdrew, ex-Geordie Shore star-turned boxer and MMA fighter Aaron Chalmers, 36, filled in on late notice.
    But the kickboxer – signed to ONE Championship in Asia – holds out hope they he can revive the fight with boxing icon Mayweather.
    He said: “I thought I’m probably not going to lay a glove on this guy even when I’m at full fitness. I probably won’t be able to hit him, let alone if I’m on one leg.
    READ MORE SUN STORIES
    “I thought: ‘Is it going to be worth just getting in there and humiliating myself where I can’t move properly?’
    “I had to pull out and I was absolutely devastated. But you never know, it might come back around.”
    Floyd Mayweather is set to rematch John Gotti III in another exhibitionCredit: Rex More

  • in

    Francis Ngannou already setting up stunning fight with Deontay Wilder BEFORE sharing ring with Anthony Joshua

    FRANCIS NGANNOU is already calling out Deontay Wilder – before even fighting Anthony Joshua. Ngannou last year put on hold his MMA career to cross over to boxing for a bout with WBC champion Tyson Fury.
    Francis Ngannou is already calling out Deontay WilderCredit: Getty
    Wilder is coming off defeat to Joseph ParkerCredit: Getty
    And he astonishingly floored Fury only to lose a controversial split-decision in Saudi Arabia.
    Now, he will return to the boxing ring on March 8 back in Saudi, this time against Joshua.
    But already Ngannou has his eyes set on Wilder, who blew a super-fight with AJ following defeat to Joseph Parker.
    Ngannou told Sky Sports: “I’m here for the boxing career and there I have a lot of challenges, a lot of names.
    READ MORE IN BOXING
    “For example, the top three guys that I’ve always had are Fury, Joshua and Wilder.
    “Wilder better get it together because I’m not done, I want that name on my record.”
    Fury, 35, faces Oleksandr Usyk, 36, on February 17 in Saudi in what is the heavyweight division’s first four-belt unification.
    So Ngannou, 37, was left to weigh up his options after being denied a rematch.
    Most read in Boxing
    CASINO SPECIAL – BEST CASINO WELCOME OFFERS
    But Joshua, 34, became available following defeat for Wilder, 38, who saw their £100million fight deal go up in smoke.
    The beaten American’s next move remains up in the air.
    But Ngannou revealed there were talks for the two to fight in The Professional Fighters League, the MMA promotion he is signed to.
    He said: “Two months ago, we were talking about fighting Deontay Wilder in the PFL. The landscape can change quick. Everything is possible.”

    ANTHONY JOSHUA VS FRANCIS NGANNOU: ALL THE DETAILS YOU NEED AHEAD OF HUGE CROSSOVER BOUT More

  • in

    I’m an undefeated MMA star but my brothers are making their own way as Man Utd hopefuls

    IBRAGHIM IBRAGIMOV is the undefeated MMA prospect looking to make his way to the UFC – but he could end up being overshadowed by his football-playing brothersThe Russian-born Brit is a perfect 6-0 in his mixed martial arts career and is one of the most highly-touted teen fighters in the UK.
    Ibragim Ibragimov is an undefeated Brit teenage MMA prospectCredit: INSTAGRAM@IBRAGHIM.60
    The Russian-born Brit has rubbed shoulders with some of the biggest names in the sportCredit: INSTAGRAM@IBRAGHIM.60
    Ibragimov is 6-0 and on course to become a starCredit: INSTAGRAM@IBRAGHIM.60
    The 19-year-old could be overshadowed by his football-playing brothersCredit: INSTAGRAM@IBRAGHIM.60
    Ibraghimov, 19, regularly rubs shoulders with some of the biggest British names in the sport – including former UFC title challenger Darren Till and PFL star Brendan Loughnane.
    The teen sensation is well and truly on track to make it to the UFC – but his brothers could end up becoming bigger stars than him.
    Ibragimov’s younger brothers – Amir and Gazik – are working their way through the ranks of Manchester United’s youth teams.
    Amir, 15, is considered to be one of the best prospects in United’s academy and was recently invited to train with the first team.
    READ MORE IN MMA
    The midfielder has seemingly already been earmarked for a future leadership role having captained United-14s and Under-15s.
    His displays for the club’s younger teams have seen him rewarded with five appearances for the Under-18s.
    Despite also being held in high regard by the club’s coaches, Gazik, 14, has yet to be called up to train with the senior Red Devils.
    Amir and Gazik are often cheered on by their fighting brother Ibraghim, who proudly shares their highlights and achievements on his Instagram.
    Most read in Football
    CASINO SPECIAL – BEST CASINO WELCOME OFFERS
    Ibraghimov’s younger brothers Amir and Gazik play for Manchester United’s youth teamsCredit: INSTAGRAM@AMIR_IBRA7
    Amir and Gazik aren’t the only members of the Ibraghimov family trying to make it at the Premier League giants.
    The duo’s youngest brother Muhammad is also on the club’s books following a move from Manchester City’s academy last November.
    The starlet was proud as punch with his move to United, which he lauded with his near 7,000 Instagram followers.
    Along with a snap of himself holding up a club shirt, he wrote: “Here to create history.”
    Given United’s recent willingness to promote academy stars to the first team and give them starts – Kobbie Mainoo being a testament to the fact – it’s not beyond the realms of possibility that either Amir or Gazik will be handed full debuts in the coming years.
    And who knows, they could by then have a UFC star of a brother cheering them on at Old Trafford.
    Amir has even had a sitdown with club legend Sir Alex FergusonCredit: INSTAGRAM@AMIR_IBRA7 More

  • in

    Anthony Joshua facing ‘absolute disaster’ against Francis Ngannou and will get ‘zero credibility’ for winning, says icon

    LENNOX LEWIS has warned Anthony Joshua faces “absolute disaster” by losing to Francis Ngannou and gets “zero credibility” even if he wins. Ngannou takes to the boxing ring for just the second time to face AJ on March 8 in Saudi Arabia.
    Anthony Joshua and Francis Ngannou ahead of their March 8 fightCredit: Getty
    Joshua with Lennox Lewis after his 2012 London Olympics winCredit: AFP
    It comes off the back of him dropping Tyson Fury on his debut in October and controversially losing on points.
    Ngannou’s boxing stock rose sensationally following the fight but British legend Lewis appears to see the fight as nothing more than an opportunity to make some cash.
    He posted on X, formerly Twitter: “Ngannou’s fight with @Tyson_Fury was a spectacle. This fight with AJ is also a spectacle.
    “Hats off to Ngannou for making the most of his opportunities. He’s done nothing wrong. This is just the HW division in the year 2024.”
    READ MORE IN BOXING
    Lewis, 58, added: “IMO, this fight adds ZERO credibility to AJ’s resume.
    “He’s SUPPOSED to win this fight and when he does, what does he gain or learn by beating someone in his second HW fight?
    “If he loses, than it’s an absolute disaster. The same stood for Fury and it almost cost him everything.”
    Fury, 35, is now challenging Oleksandr Usyk, 36, for the undisputed title on February 17 in Riyadh.
    Most read in Boxing

    ANTHONY JOSHUA VS FRANCIS NGANNOU: ALL THE DETAILS YOU NEED AHEAD OF HUGE CROSSOVER BOUT
    CASINO SPECIAL – BEST CASINO WELCOME OFFERS
    So Ngannou, 37, instead turned his attention to Joshua, 34, whose blockbuster bout with Deontay Wilder, 38, was axed after the American suffered defeat.
    Organisers in Saudi want the winner between Fury and Usyk to then challenge the victor of Joshua and Ngannou’s bout.
    So Hearn hit back at Lewis’ online blast with: “Listen in to yesterday..the winner fights the winner of Fury v Usyk for Undisputed and when AJ joins your club I know you will be delighted for him.” More

  • in

    Manny Pacquiao in talks for boxing return in Saudi Arabia with Floyd Mayweather and Conor McGregor touted opponents

    MANNY PACQUIAO is in talks to make a boxing return in Saudi Arabia – eyeing fights with Floyd Mayweather and Conor McGregor. The Filipino icon retired in 2021 following defeat to Yordenis Ugas but he has continued to tease a comeback since.
    Manny Pacquiao is in talks to make a boxing return in Saudi ArabiaCredit: AFP
    Floyd Mayweather and Conor McGregor could be opponents for PacquiaoCredit: AP:Associated Press
    Pacquiao, who been keeping active in exhibition bouts, has met with boxing bosses in Saudi over a return.
    And a rematch with Mayweather – who he lost to in 2015 – or a crossover clash against McGregor would be top of his wishlist.
    Pacquiao’s advisor Sean Gibbons told Betway: “We are having discussions and Manny is talking to his Excellency Turki Alalshikh.
    “Conor McGregor has said he is fighting in the UFC in June so there’s nothing happening at all there, but it can be revisited alongside Floyd Mayweather.
    READ MORE IN BOXING
    “They are fights he could do at 100 years old, off the couch with ease.”
    McGregor, 35, made his boxing debut in 2017 but lost against Mayweather, 46.
    He later held talks with Pacquiao, 45, but a legal dispute between the camps saw the bout collapse.
    Gibbons reiterated that McGregor is currently not an option due to his UFC obligations but the fight remains a fantasy of Pacquiao’s.
    Most read in Boxing
    CASINO SPECIAL – BEST CASINO WELCOME OFFERS
    He said: “In a dream fight, McGregor would be tremendous.
    “Ten years ago, Pacquiao against McGregor wouldn’t have even been competitive but due to the fact Manny is a little older, Conor is still young and really has improved his boxing and gave Mayweather a great run, it would be a great fight.
    “So, with the age factor, he could give Manny a good run but there’s no need to even discuss that fight until after June and see if a real fighter comes around and Manny can fight them.” More

  • in

    Anthony Joshua looks stony-faced as he glares at Francis Ngannou after ex-UFC champ’s taunts over his chin

    ANTHONY JOSHUA looked stony-faced as he glared at Francis Ngannou following a taunt over his chin. The giant heavyweight pair meet in a crossover clash on March 8 in Saudi Arabia.
    Francis Ngannou aimed a dig about Anthony Joshua’s chin
    Joshua looked stony-faced as he glared back at Ngannou
    And they came face to face for the first time at a press conference, where Ngannou questioned Joshua’s punch resilience.
    He said: “I’m going to fight him, so what do you think I’m going to do? Look for his chin.
    “I mean, that’s what happens in a fight. In a fight, you try to hit somebody in the chin or wherever you can hit him, right?
    “Yes, I heard that he doesn’t have a chin. I don’t know if it’s true or not. We are going to find out.
    READ MORE IN BOXING
    “I hope I get the opportunity to test that out. That’s my wish, that’s what I’m wishing for.”
    Joshua, 34, did not take his eyes off Ngannou, 37, as tensions appeared to rise on the top table.
    The ex-UFC champion astonishingly dropped Tyson Fury, 35, on his boxing debut in October before controversially losing on points.
    But Joshua vowed not to underestimate the Cameroonian and his fearsome power like those before him.
    Most read in Boxing

    FREE BETS – BEST BETTING OFFERS & NEW CUSTOMER BONUSES
    He said: “If Tyson underestimated Ngannou, I sure won’t. Francis has lost the element of surprise with me.
    “We knew Francis had a reputation as the biggest puncher in the world but the surprise was how well he boxed.
    “He was exceptional on the inside and made life very complicated for Tyson. So much so that I do belong to the opinion that he beat Fury.”

    ANTHONY JOSHUA VS FRANCIS NGANNOU: ALL THE DETAILS YOU NEED AHEAD OF HUGE CROSSOVER BOUT
    Joshua facing off with NgannouCredit: AFP More

  • in

    What Eddie Hearn said to Anthony Joshua after being left stunned by Francis Ngannou’s body

    EDDIE HEARN admitted he was left stunned at the sheer size of Francis Ngannou. The ex-UFC champion takes to the ring for the second time on March 8 in Saudi Arabia against AJ.
    Anthony Joshua and Francis Ngannou ahead of their March 8 fightCredit: PA

    And the two came face to face for the first time at a press conference, where promoter Hearn saw Ngannou up close.
    He was left gobsmacked at the size of the 6ft 4in and 19 stone MMA star.
    Hearn told Queensberry Promotions: “Francis Ngannou was talking and I was looking at him thinking, ‘Look at the size of your head, your neck!’
    “I actually turned to AJ and thought, ‘Actually, you look like a middleweight compared to this guy.’
    READ MORE IN BOXING
    “I mean it’s the first time AJ has ever actually competed with anyone who is remotely the same in terms of frame and mass.
    “This guy is bigger. So we hear the stories about how strong he is, we hear the stories about how hard he can punch.
    “I still find it difficult to subscribe to, I don’t believe you can just stroll into the sport and just beat the elite.
    “But he so nearly did it against what many regard as the best heavyweight in the world.
    Most read in Boxing

    ANTHONY JOSHUA VS FRANCIS NGANNOU: ALL THE DETAILS YOU NEED AHEAD OF HUGE CROSSOVER BOUT
    CASINO SPECIAL – BEST CASINO WELCOME OFFERS
    “So we take him very, very seriously. It’s a fight full of jeopardy but one that if you use your brain, and use your skill and your speed, you should win.”
    Ngannou, 37, dropped Tyson Fury, 35, on his boxing debut last October but lost a controversial decision.
    And with the Gypsy King snubbing a rematch to fight Oleksandr Usyk, 36, for the undisputed crown, Ngannou was forced to look elsewhere.
    But Joshua, 34, who weighed 17st 13lb in his last fight, vowed not to underestimate the Cameroonian like those before him.
    He said: “If Tyson underestimated Ngannou, I sure won’t. Francis has lost the element of surprise with me.
    “We knew Francis had a reputation as the biggest puncher in the world but the surprise was how well he boxed.
    “He was exceptional on the inside and made life very complicated for Tyson. So much so that I do belong to the opinion that he beat Fury.” More