OLE GUNNAR SOLSKJAER has been SACKED by Manchester United. United called an emergency board meeting following the 4-1 humiliation at Vicarage Road.
Solskjaer said now his goodbyes to his staff and players following the defeat with club chiefs to sack him within 48 hours.
The club won only once in their last seven matches after the 4-1 defeat at Watford today, and the meeting took place afterwards at 7pm.
Leicester boss Brendan Rodgers has been installed as the current bookies’ favourite to take over at Old Trafford.
Follow all the latest Man Utd news, transfer and gossip from Old Trafford below…
Manchester United will live to regret missing out on Antonio Conte, pundit Micah Richards has claimed.
The Italian was one of the favourites to take over as United officials spent the last few weeks mulling the sacking of Ole Gunnar Solskjaer.
Ex-Manchester City star Richards told Sky Sports: “Antonio Conte is a serial winner.
“We talk about the Manchester United values, forget the values for just one minute. It is about winning games.
“You’ve got (Cristiano) Ronaldo, (Paul) Pogba, (Bruno) Fernandes, (Jadon) Sancho and all those players.
“Something has to give and Ole (Gunnar Solskjaer) was not getting the best out of those players.
“Conte is proven. He is the Tottenham manager now but there was a window where they could have got him. I don’t understand it.”
DE GEA DISMAY
David De Gea was among the players paying tribute to Ole Gunnar Solskjaer following his dismissal as Manchester United manager.
United announced they parted ways with Solskjaer after Saturday’s 4-1 thrashing to Watford at Vicarage Road, which marked the final drop after seven losses in 13 games across all competitions.
De Gea was among the players that expressed their appreciation for the Norwegian head coach’s contribution in the last three years.
The star goalkeeper described the loss to the Hornets as a “nightmare” last night but now insists Solskjaer always “gave everything” for the Red Devils.
De Gea tweeted: “You always gave everything and everyone knows you are a legend at [Man Utd].”
MMA legend Conor McGregor has paid homage to Ole Gunnar Solskjaer after he was sacked as Manchester United boss.
I want to give a major shout out, and a huge thank you to the living legend that is Ole Gunnar Solskjær! Ole you are forever, Sir! Icon! Inspiration! Hero! Legend!Thank you Ole ❤️ @ManUtd— Conor McGregor (@TheNotoriousMMA) November 21, 2021
MAN FOR THE JOB
Gary Neville reckons Mauricio Pochettino would take over at Manchester United in a heartbeat despite the turmoil at Old Trafford.
The United legend made the claim after previous boss Ole Gunnar Solskjaer was finally sacked following a shocking run of results.
He said on Sky Sports: “I think Mauricio Pochettino – although he’d never say it – he’d leave to come to Man United on a five-year deal tomorrow.
“He’d look at that group of players, he’d look at the club and he’d realise he’d probably be able to achieve more than he wants at Man United in terms of a project.
“At PSG you are on season by season. ‘You’ve got to win the Champions League or you’re out’ type of model. I don’t think that suits Pochettino.
“I think he would absolutely come to Man Utd on a five-year deal, with backing behind him. How he’d fit in with the current coaches who are still there and left, I’m not sure.”
Lord Alan Sugar expressed his delight at Tottenham’s appointment of Antonio Conte while taking a swipe at Arsenal and Manchester United in the process.
Sugar reckons the Italian could’ve ended up at either United or Arsenal if Spurs didn’t bring him in last week following Ole Gunnar Solskjaer’s dismissal from Old Trafford and the Gunners 4-0 thumping at the hands of Liverpool yesterday.
Smug Spurs fan Sugar wrote on Twitter: “I am please we got hold on Conte when we did as he would have been grabbed by Man U or Arsenal …..next week.”
Ole Gunnar Solskjaer has blasted naive Manchester United officials forever bothering to appoint Ole Gunnar Solskjaer as manager.
The United legend was named caretaker back in 2018 before being given the reins full-time at Old Trafford.
Things turned sour this season and the under-fire boss was finally given his marching orders after Saturday’s abject 4-1 defeat by Watford.
And Sky Sports pundit Redknapp was far from impressed with United’s approach while their rivals appointed top-class managers around them.
He said: “This hasn’t crept up on Man United, I’ve seen this for a long while.
“When you look at what Liverpool have got – Klopp, Man City – Guardiola, Chelsea – Tuchel, and you’ve got a manager that’s managed at Molde and Cardiff – at one of the biggest clubs in the world, it isn’t right.
“You’re almost fighting with one hand behind your back in the big occasions and I’ve never really felt he is the right fit.
“I said at the time, one day it’s going to be like shooting Bambi and that’s what it feels like. This should have happened weeks ago.”
Manchester United have spent a staggering £38million on sacking managers since Sir Alex Ferguson left Old Trafford in 2013.
The Scot, 79, provided the Red Devils with the ultimate stability during his 27 years at the helm.
But the Theatre of Dreams has been anything but stable ever since.
Ole Gunnar Solskjaer became the latest man to be sacked this morning – receiving a £7.5m payout in the process.
The Norwegian was handed a new three-year deal in the summer.
But terms of the contract stipulated that he need only be paid one year’s salary should he be relieved of his duties.
Ole Gunnar Solskjaer turned down help to upgrade his backroom staff at Manchester United, reports suggest.
That is according to ESPN, who claim that Solskjaer refused to make changes to his coaching team despite key players complaining that the training was “too British” and unsuited to the requirements of the modern game.
Reports have now emerged of senior players losing faith in the former manager after last month’s 5-0 loss to Liverpool at Old Trafford.
A section of the roster found the coaching to be too one-dimensional as it lacked imagination as well as creativity.
The Red Devils’ hierarchy took those concerns on board and “offered Solskjaer every level of support and told him he could have whatever he needed to put it right.”
However, the 48-year-old told executive vice-chairman Ed Woodward that he had full faith in his world-class coaching team.
Ole Gunnar Solskjaer was sacked by Manchester United after a horror run of five defeats in seven games.
He becomes the FOURTH manager to try – and fail – to replace Sir Alex Ferguson after his retirement in 2013.
David Moyes, Louis van Gaal and Jose Mourinho were all sacked in the past eight years, and now Solskjaer joins the gang.
The bottom line is that he won no trophies, unlike his more recent predecessors
Mourinho led United to a Europa League and EFL Cup double in 2017, while Van Gaal lifted the FA Cup in 2016 just days before he was sacked.
However Solskjaer’s win percentage was surprisingly good.
Solskjaer has the third-highest win percentage of ANY manager in United’s history.
His record of 91 wins from his 168 games in charge across all competitions is second best in the post-Fergie era – behind only Mourinho.
The Norwegian achieved a win rate of 54.2 per cent, behind Mourinho’s 58.3 per cent from 144 matches.
THE RON FOR ME
Cristiano Ronaldo wants Luis Enrique to replace Ole Gunnar Solskjaer at Manchester United, according to reports.
The Red Devils sacked Solskjaer this morning, following a dismal run of form that culminated in yesterday’s 4-1 defeat to Watford at Vicarage Road.
United have been strongly linked with a move for Zinedine Zidane, with chiefs reportedly trying to convince the Frenchman to come to Old Trafford.
According to Sky Sports, however, their biggest name player would rather play under Spain boss Enrique.
They reckon that despite his old affiliation with Real Madrid legend Zizou, Ronaldo wants United to hire Enrique instead.
The Red Devils are expected to consider the former Barcelona boss as they hunt for a new manager.
Manchester United could hire Laurent Blanc as interim manager following Ole Gunnar Solskjaer’s sacking, reports suggest.
United parted company with club legend Solskjaer after Saturday’s 4-1 thrashing to Watford at Vicarage Road, which marked the final drop after five defeats in seven Premier League matches.
Michael Carrick has been put in charge for the time being while the Red Devils look for something more permanent.
According to The Athletic, however, the Manchester giants may be unable to land their top targets before the summer, such as Zinedine Zidane, Erik ten Hag and Brendan Rodgers.
Therefore, it is possible that they could turn to other options who are also going to be considered as temporary solutions.
Former United ace Blanc has been touted as a candidate, which means he would get the same opportunity Solskjaer got when he replaced Jose Mourinho in 2018 before earning a long-term contract.
The French head coach spent two years at Old Trafford where he retired in 2003 following 75 appearances across all competitions.
Manchester United will be forced to pay Ole Gunnar Solskjaer a hefty £7.5m after sacking him this morning.
The Red Devils boss lost his job after suffering a humiliating 4-1 defeat at Watford.
Man United chiefs met at 7pm last night to discuss sacking the Norwegian, who they’d handed a new three-year deal to in August.
And SunSport understands he will have to be given a full year’s salary as a severance package by the club.
This works out at around £7.5m, which puts him around fifth in the highest paid Premier League managers.
That’s behind behind Pep Guardiola, Jurgen Klopp, Brendan Rodgers and Marcelo Bielsa in the salary stakes.
Piers Morgan has taken his customary dig at Gary Neville following Solskjaer’s Man Utd sacking.
Gary Neville has sent out a message of support to his former team-mate Solskjaer following his sacking from the club.
CARRICK TO TAKE OVER
Michael Carrick will take over as United boss temporarily, but the club are looking for an interim boss to lead the side until the end of the season.
Presumably, Zinedine Zidane will be sounded out in the summer.
“Ole will always be a legend at Manchester United and it is with regret that we have reached this difficult decision,” a statement read.
“While the past few weeks have been disappointing, they should not obscure all the work he has done over the past three years to rebuild the foundations for long-term success.
“Ole leaves with our sincerest thanks for his tireless efforts as Manager and our very best wishes for the future.
“His place in the club’s history will always be secure, not just for his story as a player, but as a great man and a Manager who gave us many great moments. He will forever be welcome back at Old Trafford as part of the Manchester United family.
“Michael Carrick will now take charge of the team for forthcoming games, while the club looks to appoint an interim manager to the end of the season.”
Ole Gunnar Solskjaer has been sacked as Man Utd boss after the club’s 4-1 loss to Watford in the Premier League on Saturday.
Here are a list of candidates so far rumoured to be in the frame to take over on a permanent basis at Old Trafford.
Erik ten Hag
Antonio Conte, of course, was United’s first choice, but ironically it was the Red Devils’ 3-0 win over Tottenham which pushed Spurs into appointing the Italian as their new boss.
After the game, Solskjaer went over to the United fans to clap them, only to be negatively received by a large portion of the support.
Bruno Fernandes waved his finger at them and indicated the result came as a consequence of the team’s poor performance and not the manager.
“In the Premier League it is not enough playing for just one half,” he said.
“Watford has a good team. They are aggressive, they have quality up front, and if you give them chances you will concede goals.
“And that has been a problem with us for many games.
“I think the attitude in the second half was there. In the first half it was too sloppy from everyone.”
David de Gea had some choice words after the game, letting everyone know what he thought of the performance.
“There’s not much to say – it was embarrassing to see Man United play like we did today,” he explained.
“It’s not acceptable – the way we were playing and doing things. It’s easy to blame the manager or the staff but sometimes it’s the players.
“We need to show much more than we are doing. Embarrassing first half – we could’ve conceded four goals in 45 minutes.
“It was hard to watch the team playing today – it was nightmare after nightmare. It’s not acceptable.
“We are trying to give our best and fight for the team but for sure something is very wrong. You can see in the games – it’s very low level, very poor. Sorry to the fans, once again.”
United were trounced 4-1 by newly-promoted Watford on Saturday night, prompting calls from fans for Solskjaer’s time at the club to come to an end.
Joshua King – a Red Devils academy product – smashed home the opener after 28 minutes before Ismaila Sarr doubled the lead just before the break.
It could have been a lot worse for United at half time as Sarr missed TWO penalties in the space of a minute after having one saved before retaking it for encroachment and David De Gea denied him a second time.
Half time sub Donny Van de Beek grabbed a goal back early in the second half, but skipper Harry Maguire’s red card in the 69th minute ended any hopes of an underserved comeback.
Joao Pedro and Emmanuel Dennis added a third and fourth in injury time to really stick the knife into Ole.
This was Watford’s first home win since the start of the season back in August, and are just four points behind United in seventh.
MORNING, MAN UTD FANS
Ole Gunnar Solskjaer has managed his final game in charge of Manchester United with the board finally deciding enough is enough.
United called an emergency board meeting following the 4-1 humiliation at Vicarage Road.
And Solskajer’s backroom staff started saying their goodbyes following the brutal defeat with club chiefs to sack him within 48 hours.Bruno Fernandes blamed ‘everyone’ at Manchester United after Watford’s 4-1 win rammed a huge nail in Ole Gunnar Solskjaer’s coffin.
Midfielder Fernandes was led away by team-mates after a heated row with United fans at Vicarage Road.
Luke Shaw could be a doubt for Manchester United’s clash with Chelsea after appearing to suffer possible concussion against Watford.
The left-back, 26, started in Saturday’s 4-1 horror defeat at Vicarage Road.
But Shaw didn’t last the whole 90 minutes as he was flattened in a collision with an opponent.
OUT WITH THE OLE
Ole Gunnar Solskjaer looked glum as he drove home after Manchester United’s humiliating 4-1 defeat to Watford.
SunSport understand the loss, which saw club captain Harry Maguire get sent off, is the last straw for the Norwegian.
The players are also expecting Solskjaer to get the sack.
Other reports claim players and staff were in tears after the thumping away defeat to the newly-promoted side.
NEEDS A JI UP
Ex-Man Utd star Ji-sung Park has backed underfire Ole Gunnar Solskjaer to keep his job till the end of the season.
The Norwegian boss is on the brink of the sack after the Red Devils were humiliated 4-1 at Watford.
But Park is backing Solskjaer until the end of the season.
“It’s been three years for Solskjaer as a manager and I believe that this will be the defining season for him, in terms of whether he continues at the club,” Park told Goal.
“I think that he deserves credit for what he’s done at United, and deserves to fight [for his job] until the end of the season, but he needs to show he can continue after that.
“He did well to bring the old United spirit and culture back to us.”
“Before him, we had Louis van Gaal and Jose Mourinho, who had reputations as world-class coaches, but it didn’t work out, so I think that United learned from those experiences and that they were key in the decision to stick with Solskjaer (after the Liverpool and City defeats).
“But the most important point is whether he can compete with Pep (Guardiola), (Jurgen) Klopp, (Thomas) Tuchel, the best coaches in the world.
“Therefore, I believe we should wait until the end of this season and then see. But if he can’t show (he’s good enough), it will be difficult for him to continue.”
Cristiano Ronaldo’s pre-match words of advice to Jadon Sancho backfired as Manchester United were thrashed 4-1 by Watford.
Sancho, 21, was handed a rare start against his former club despite failing to score or assist in his previous 13 appearances.
And before kick-off, Ronaldo could be seen talking to Sancho, offering advice and undoubtedly trying to motivate him.
But it didn’t go to plan as Watford went into the half-time break with a two-goal lead thanks to former United ace Josh King and Ismaila Sarr.
Half-time substitute Donny van de Beek pulled one back for the visitors, offering a glimmer of hope of a comeback.
But Harry Maguire made sure the points would stay at Vicarage Road as he was sent off for a rash challenge of Tom Cleverley.
The double yellow on Saturday’s game guarantees Maguire’s absence for United’s big game against Chelsea next weekend.
Joao Pedro and Emmanuel Bonaventure scored in added time to secure a historic victory against the Red Devils.
Load more entries… More