More stories

  • in

    Manchester City executive who stole £100,000 from club to pay for gifts and her wedding only has to pay back £2,500

    A FORMER Manchester City executive who stole more than £104,000 from the club to pay for her wedding only has to pay back £2,550.Fiona Barclay, 34, worked as a business development manager within the Premier League champions’ hospitality department, earning up to £30,000 a year.
    Football exec Fiona Barclay was jailed following a trial at Manchester crown courtCredit: MEN Media
    The mum-of-one was jailed in November last year for fraud after swindling huge sums from Manchester City to fund her big day and buy lavish gifts for her husband and family.
    Yet she has now been ordered to pay back just £2,500 at a Proceeds of Crime Act hearing.
    She was told the news when appearing via video-link from her native Falkirk in Scotland.
    The hearing began with Barclay being asked whether she was alone, before telling the judge she had her seven-week-old baby beside her.
    Read More On Manchester City
    Judge Timothy Smith ruled: “In light of everything uploaded, the benefit figure is £104,934.16, arising out of general criminal conduct. The available amount is £2,550.
    “This must be paid back by October 6.”
    When she was jailed, Manchester crown court heard how Barclay was first rumbled in March last year after accountants flagged a suspicious £25,000 refund.
    When questioned by bosses she claimed she’d transferred £15,000 of the sum into her own bank account “in error”.
    Most read in Football
    But following an investigation, the club discovered Barclay had been stealing from them since June 2019 – more than £104,000 overall.
    She pleaded guilty to an offence of fraud by abuse of position and was sacked by the Etihad Stadium side in March 2021.
    Her barrister Patrick Buckley described Barclay as “utterly disgusted with herself”, adding: “There is nothing in terms of reason or logical reason why she did what she did.”
    She spent less than half of her 18-month sentence in prison, with the rest to be served on licence.
    The latest court hearing was told she had found a new job with a travel firm and informed them about her conviction, while also trying in vain to arrange with City for repayment of the money owed.
    When jailing her for 18 months, Manchester crown court recorder Ciaran Rankin had said: “This is a tragedy – you have thrown so much away because of your dishonesty and, I’m afraid, pure greed.”
    On the pitch, City won an historic treble this past season – claiming the Premier League, FA Cup and Champions League trophies.
    Mum-of-one Barclay was sentenced tp 18 months in prisonCredit: MEN Media
    Barclay was condemned by the trial judge for her ‘dishonesty’ and ‘pure greed’Credit: MEN Media More

  • in

    Ex-Arsenal and Wolfsburg ace Jill Roord hails ‘dream’ WSL return after sealing Manchester City move

    JILL ROORD described her Manchester City switch as the “perfect fit” after sealing a stunning WSL return.The former Arsenal ace, 26, has joined the Women’s Super League giants on a three-year deal after two years at Wolfsburg. 
    Jill Roord is set for her second spell in the WSL after signing for Manchester City
    The midfielder and her Netherlands team-mates will face Portugal on July 23 in their World Cup group stage openerCredit: AFP
    Roord was part of the Wolfsburg side beaten 3-2 by Barcelona in this year’s Champions League finalCredit: Getty
    Roord’s transfer follows Hayley Raso’s May departure from the Citizens with the Australia winger set to join Real Madrid. 
    Her move ahead of next season comes a month after she featured for Wolfsburg in this year’s Women’s Champions League final.
    The German side were beaten 3-2 by Barcelona in the contest’s decider in Eindhoven.
    Roord, who will wear Man City’s number 20 shirt, said: “I really like the way that they play, and I feel that it suits me perfectly. 
    Read More Football Stories
    “There’s a lot of quality in the team, and it’s a young side with plenty of potential which is very important to me. 
    “I have always thought that this was a fantastic club with lots of quality, and I’m super excited  to start here.”
    Roord, who began her senior club career in 2013 at FC Twente at 16, helped the Dutch club to four top-flight titles. 
    She finished as the Eredivisie’s top scorer in the 2015-16 season before her one-year spell at Bayern Munich and Gunners switch in May 2019. 
    Most read in Football
    During her two-year Arsenal stint Roord helped the club reach the Conti Cup final and finish in the WSL’s top three in back-to-back seasons.
    And she bagged 31 goals in 69 games for Wolfsburg across all competitions helping them win the 2021-22 Frauen Bundesliga title. 
    Man City chief Gareth Taylor said: “She is a player whose calibre speaks for itself with what she has achieved.
    “We believe  she will be a fantastic addition to our squad here at City.”
    Roord added: “I’ve always thought that the Women’s Super League is very competitive, so playing in England again is like a dream.
    “I feel like I have developed a lot as a player during my time in  Germany.”
    Roord, who has 86 senior international caps, was part of the Netherlands side that won the 2017 Euros under former boss Sarina Wiegman. 
    The City newbie is also part of the Dutch squad competing in this year’s World Cup in Australia and New Zealand.
    They kicked off their warm-up for the contest, which starts on July 20, with a 5-0 hammering of Belgium on July 2.
    Roord and her national team-mates face Portugal in their Group E opener in Dunedin, New Zealand on July 23. 
    Roord netted seven times in 19 WSL games for Arsenal during the 2020-21 seasonCredit: Getty
    That clash will be followed by a duel with World Cup champs the United States before a game against minnows Vietnam. 
    Read More On The Sun
    Taylor added: “She has proven her worth in both England and Europe during her career so far, as well on  the international stage with the Netherlands. 
    “She is no stranger to success.” More

  • in

    Hilarious moment Man City’s Erling Haaland raves to Abba in Ibiza — with his dad

    GOAL machine Erling Haaland was out raving in the early hours to Abba in Ibiza — with his dad.The treble-winning Man City ace, 22, and Alfie, 50, were captured on video bouncing to the classic hit Gimme! Gimme! Gimme! (A Man After Midnight).
    Erling Haaland and dad Alfie were captured on video bouncing to classic hits by Abba in an Ibiza nightclubCredit: Getty
    An onlooker told The Sun: ‘They looked to be having a great time’
    Alfie, who also played for City, hugged his son as they and 20 pals enjoyed a vodka-fuelled party in a nightclub’s VIP booth.
    An onlooker told The Sun: “They looked to be having a great time and are clearly still in party mode after City’s amazing season.
    “Most of the music was club dance hits but the floor came alive when Abba came on — and Erling and his dad were in the thick of it. It must have been Abba’s Scandinavian vibe.”
    The £375,000-a-week striker is believed to have splashed out on a booth with a £10,000 minimum spend at the Hi Ibiza club.
    READ MORE FOOTBALL NEWS
    He has also been snapped sporting snazzy shorts lapping up the luxury of speed boat trips and jet ski rides with pals on the holiday isle.
    He resumes training next week after a record-breaking season.
    Haaland’s sky blues are back on our screens on the 11th of August to play newly promoted Burnley at Turf Moor.
    Haaland and co won the covereted Champions League final against Inter Milan, last month, to seal a historic trebleCredit: Getty More

  • in

    Jack Grealish splashes five figure sum on lavish romantic break with girlfriend Sasha Attwood

    HIS legendary three day bender after Man City won the trebble has cemented him as one of sports wildest stars.But Jack Grealish has swapped swigging cans of beer shirtless through the streets of Manchester for the ultimate refined sophistication.
    Jack jetted Sasha out to the South of France for a stunning break togetherCredit: instagram
    The couple are staying at Hotel du Cap-Eden-Roc in the South of FranceCredit: Getty
    The Sun can reveal the England midfielder has splashed tens of thousands on romantic stay with model girlfriend Sasha Attwood at one of the world’s exclusive hotels, the legendary Hotel du Cap-Eden-Roc in the South of France.
    Despite his party-loving ways often putting her under the microscope, child-hood sweetheart Sasha has stood by her man through highs and lows.
    The beauty raced onto the pitch to share a public smooch with Jack last month after Man City’s Champions League triumph.
    She gushed online: “The most incredible few days what an achievement. So beyond proud, lots of happy tears and no sleep with memories to last a lifetime. What a team.”
    READ MORE ON JACK GREALISH
    World’s away from the famously wet and cloudy Northern city he calls home, the uber-luxurious Hotel du Cap-Eden-Rock boasts rooms costing up to £14,000 a night.
    Just a short drive from the glitz and glamour of Cannes, the hotel has played host to some of the biggest names in history including Picasso and Cary Grant.
    The onsite Dior spa will go down a treat with brand-loving Jack who is more often than not decked head-to-toe in Gucci when not on the pitch.
    However, he will have to tone down his lovable lout ways of last month which saw him pretending to be a turkey as his teammates free-poured Grey Goose down his throat.
    Most read in Sport
    British supermodel Kate Moss was famously was barred from the resort after allegedly throwing a tantrum and trashing her hotel room after staff told her she couldn’t strut through the halls in nothing but a skimpy bikini.
    A source said: ““The hotel couldn’t be further from his post trebble win antics where he was literally held up by Kyle Walker.
    “Even for Hollywood A-listers Hotel Du Cap is seriously hard to get in to. They don’t suffer fools .
    “He will have to be on his best behaviour. If he’s too rowdy, bosses will swiftly give him his marching orders.”
    Last month Jack was unfairly was met with criticism for his next level partying following Man City’s historic sporting win.
    In a refreshing move the footballer stood his ground saying: “Give us a break man. I was just enjoying myself. I felt like it was quite deserved personally.”
    Jack’s break in the South of France comes straight off the back of a boozy six day trip to Las Vegas.
    Making full use of the city, Jack, who jokes he will launch a music career as DJ Grealo when his time on the pitch is over, was spotted partying into the early hours with superstar DJ Tiesto at exclusive nightclub Zouk.
    It’s safe to say he is well and truly living every man’s dream.
    Jack Grealish, pictured on his holiday, is making full use of his time off after a record breaking year for footballCredit: instagram
    Hotel du Cap-Eden-Roc is one of the world’s most exclusive hotelsCredit: Getty
    The uber-luxurious Hotel du Cap-Eden-Rock boasts rooms costing up to £14,000 a nightCredit: Getty More

  • in

    Fans notice hilarious coincidence about Bernardo Silva’s wedding photo and say ‘years of Pep Guardiola can cause this’

    FANS reckon an amazing coincidence in a Bernardo Silva wedding photo proves boss Pep Guardiola has a God-like influence on Manchester City.Bernardo was snapped on his big day with model Ines Tomaz alongside four City pals … with supporters noticing they posed in team formation!
    Bernardo Silva is up front as he poses with City team-mates Riyad Mahrez, Ruben Dias, Kyler Walker and Joao Cancelo, plus agent Jorge Mendes
    Bernardo Silva wed model Ines Tomaz in PortugalCredit: instagram @mancity.families
    Fans feel Pep Guardiola has an eye on Man City players even from afarCredit: Getty
    Central defender Ruben Dias was at the rear, wing-backs Kyle Walker and Joao Cancelo out wide, and Riyad Mahrez plus Silva further forward.
    So perhaps it was no surprise that the other person in the shot – super-agent Jorge Mendes – was the middle man.
    One fan even joked “Haaland took the picture ” – a reference to City’s goal machine always being at the front.
    The only mystery for spooked supporters was Silva “holding two cups” only – in the month Guardiola’s men completed the TREBLE.
    READ MROE TOP STORIES
    One fan said of the snap: “Years of Pep Guardiola can cause this.”
    Another wrote: “Even in this picture everyone of them is in his correct position. Pep Guardiola really is the best man.”
    A third suggested: “It’s all they know.”
    Tactics, even on his own match of the day, were surely the last thing on Bernardo’s mind.
    Most read in Football
    BETTING SPECIAL – BEST SPORTS BETTING APPS IN THE UK
    But one savvy supporter noted of the Portugal playmaker’s pictorial positioning: “Bernardo on the half space during his union with his other half.”
    The 82-cap star, 28, married 34-year-old fellow Lisbonite Ines in their home country on Saturday after three years of dating.
    Apart from Etihad colleagues, sporting celebrities amongst the 250 wedding guests included Atletico Madrid’s ex-Chelsea loanee Joao Felix and McLaren’s British F1 driver Lando Norris.
    Ines married Bernardo after dating him since 2020Credit: instagram @mancity.families More

  • in

    Arsenal ‘line up transfer raid for THIRD Man City star in 12 months’ as Arteta targets Premier League proven players

    ARSENAL are reportedly considering a move for ANOTHER Manchester City star in what would be their THIRD in just 12 months.Mikel Arteta’s side set the pace at the top of the Premier League table for much of last season, before falling away towards the end as Pep Guardiola’s men claimed a fifth title in six years.
    Aymeric Laporte looks set to leave Manchester City this summerCredit: AP
    Arsenal signed Gabriel Jesus and Oleksandr Zinchenko from Man City last summerCredit: Alamy
    Their ultimately unsuccessful title tilt was helped by Gabriel Jesus and Oleksandr Zinchenko – both of whom joined from Man City.
    Last month, Arsenal were also being linked with a move for Ilkay Gundogan – whose contract was up at the Etihad.
    But they failed to acquire the German international, 32, who penned a deal with Barcelona.
    Now Arteta is understood to be looking at another player he coached during his time at Man City.
    READ MORE ON ARSENAL
    According to Mundo Deportivo, the Gunners are interested in bringing centre-back Aymeric Laporte to the Emirates.
    The Spanish defender, 29, started just 11 league games last season as he slipped down the pecking order behind the likes of Ruben Dias, John Stones, Nathan Ake and Manuel Akanji.
    And he could find himself even further away from Guardiola’s starting line-up if Man City strike a deal for RB Leipzig man Josep Gvardiol.
    During their Premier League title celebrations in May, Laporte broke down in tears on the pitch.
    Most read in Football
    BETTING SPECIAL – BEST NO DEPOSIT CASINO OFFERS
    It left many fans speculating that he had played his final game for the club.
    He then shared a cryptic Instagram post which read: “After the rain, a rainbow; after a storm, the calm; and after an end, a new beginning.”
    But Arsenal face competition in their pursuit of Laporte – who has amassed 22 caps for Spain.
    Juventus are said to be interested in the ex-Athletic Bilbao man, while Barcelona have previously been linked with him. More

  • in

    Brighton line up ambitious loan transfer for Man City Treble winner as they look to increase firepower for Europa League

    BRIGHTON are in pole position to take Manchester City’s Cole Palmer on loan.City boss Pep Guardiola is a big fan of Roberto De Zerbi and his exciting Seagulls — and Palmer needs more game-time to continue his development.
    Cole Palmer, left, could be set for a loan move to BrightonCredit: Getty
    The England Under-21’s future is likely to depend on what City decide to do about fellow academy product James McAtee.
    Sheffield United want to take midfielder McAtee on loan again after he helped them win promotion to the Premier League.
    The signs are Guardiola will not sanction that move so Palmer, 21, would almost certainly be sent out to gain experience.
    The versatile midfielder/forward made 14 Premier League appearances for City last season.
    Read More Man City news
    But only two of those were starts — and both came after they had already won the title.
    Back in March, Palmer addressed his lack of game time and inconsistent form.
    He revealed: “The season has been tough, I’m not going to lie.
    “When I’ve played this season, I don’t think I’ve played to the ability I could have. I don’t really have any complaints to be honest.
    Most read in Football
    FREE BETS AND SIGN UP DEALS – BEST NEW CUSTOMER OFFERS
    “Maybe I was putting too much pressure on myself, that when I did get the opportunity thinking, ‘right, I’ve got to do something here’ so I can have a chance of staying in the team.
    “It’s been frustrating but I’m not one to stop. The coaches believe in me and they’ve told me that. It’s up to me to prove my ability.” More

  • in

    Man City mull stunning £90m Frenkie de Jong transfer that would see Treble winners deliver another body blow to Man Utd

    PEP GUARDIOLA is mulling over a move for Frenkie de Jong — after Manchester City’s boss walked away from a Declan Rice bid.But Barcelona will want up to the £90million that Guardiola was prepared to pay in his attempts to sign West Ham ace Rice.
    Frenkie de Jong has been linked with a move away from Barcelona for some timeCredit: Getty
    Pep Guardiola’s Treble-winning side could go after De Jong this summerCredit: Getty
    The City chief is keen to bring in a new midfielder after Ilkay Gundogan turned down a new deal and opted for a move to the Nou Camp instead.
    Pep ended his interest in Rice when the fee went higher than he was prepared to pay, leaving the way clear for Arsenal.
    Guardiola tried to sign De Jong in 2019, before the Dutchman was swayed by the huge contract at Barca – and he remains a fan.
    He was a major Manchester transfer target a year ago, when his old Ajax boss Erik ten Hag tried to make him one of his first Man Utd signings.
    READ MORE IN FOOTBALL
    But the 26-year-old Dutch star opted to stay in Barcelona and is still in no rush to leave Spain.
    However, he is aware Nou Camp executives are open to a sale in a bid to improve the club’s desperate finances.
    De Jong earns £400,000 a week after tax, has three years left on his agreement and retains the backing of coach Xavi.
    But Barca would like his wages off the books and know that City have cash for a top-class midfielder after the race for Rice.
    Most read in Football
    BETTING SPECIAL – BEST NO DEPOSIT CASINO OFFERS
    Speaking in February about last summer’s transfer saga involving De Jong, Xavi said: “He was very clear with me. He wanted to stay with us and there was no doubt.
    “He is our player and I am very happy and satisfied with his performance and leadership.
    “He is in a great moment, like the whole team.
    “I think he is having a good time on the field, which is the most important thing.”
    Manchester United boss Erik ten Hag coached De Jong at AjaxCredit: Getty More