More stories

  • in

    Man Utd target Kalvin Phillips ‘100 per cent leaving’ Man City in January transfer window

    KALVIN PHILLIPS is “100 per cent leaving” Manchester City in January, according to reports.SunSport recently revealed that the midfielder has emerged as a shock target for Manchester United.
    Kalvin Phillips has struggled for game time at Man CityCredit: Getty
    Phillips, 28, has failed to start a single Premier League game this season.
    He has played just 89 minutes across their 16 Prem matches so far.
    The England ace returned to the starting XI for City’s Champions League dead-rubber against Red Star Belgrade in mid-week.
    After Phillips scored a penalty in the 3-2 win, boss Pep Guardiola was coy on his future.
    READ MORE ON MAN UTD
    According to transfer expert Fabrizio Romano, however, Phillips is 100 per cent certain to leave City in January.
    The Three Lions ace will be desperate to showcase his skills before Gareth Southgate picks his squad for Euro 2024.
    He has remained a regular in the squad despite his lack of action for City.
    But the reduction of squad size from 26 back down to 23 could leave him sweating on his place.
    Most read in Football
    FREE BETS – BEST BETTING OFFERS & NEW CUSTOMER BONUSES
    Phillips could leave City on loan in January, with Juventus, Bayern Munich and Newcastle having shown an interest.
    Man Utd could then make a shock swoop in the summer.
    Sources claim that Red Devils boss Erik ten Hag is a big fan of Phillips.
    The impending partial takeover of Sir Jim Ratcliffe could also play a factor.
    Ineos chief Ratcliffe is keen on signing and developing English talent.
    On Phillips, Guardiola said yesterday: “Kalvin is a player with us, I don’t want to anticipate absolutely anything.
    “Everyone knows the situation he has. It depends if it happens. If it happens we talk.
    “The market in January is not easy… We still have incredible things to play for, and after we decide.
    Read more on The Sun
    “Right now I don’t have anything in my mind. It depends if they leave or don’t leave.
    “Some players stay, some players leave. It depends on the squad, it depends on young players and if you can rely on them or not in some moments.”
    Pep Guardiola has been non-committal on Phillips’ futureCredit: AFP More

  • in

    Crocked Erling Haaland takes trip to visit ‘Mr Fix’ for his foot injury as Man City superstar targets world domination

    ERLING HAALAND has visited ‘Mr Fix’ as he targets global domination.The Manchester City striker is a doubt for the Club World Cup.
    Biomechanics expert John Haddad, left, with Erling Haaland, centreCredit: Instagram @jhhaddad
    John Haddad has been helping Erling Haaland for several yearsCredit: Instagram @jhhaddad
    Erling Haaland is a doubt for the Club World CupCredit: PA
    Haaland flew to Spain this week to visit biomechanics expert John Haddad to assess the foot problem he picked up in the defeat at Aston Villa ten days ago.
    The Norwegian goal machine, 23, has worked closely with the Lebanon-based former jeweller since 2020 and trusts him to speed up his recovery from injuries.
    Two years ago while at Borussia Dortmund, he had a hip injury which improved much quicker than expected after sessions with Haddad who calls himself ‘Mr Fix’.
    That led to him being hailed as a ‘miracle man’ by the Norwegian media — with some of his methods and views seen as slightly unorthodox.
    READ MORE IN FOOTBALL
    This week he went to see him again — along with City’s physio Mario Pafundi.
    City boss Pep Guardiola hopes the 19-goal forward will travel to Saudi Arabia with the squad straight after today’s Etihad clash with Crystal Palace.
    But he may not play the two games in Jeddah.
    Guardiola said: “Erling arrived back on Friday — and the doctors will see him and we will see how he feels. He had treatment away this week.
    Most read in Football
    CASINO SPECIAL – BEST CASINO WELCOME OFFER
    “Hopefully he can travel to Saudi. We will see if he is able to play in the first game or the second game, or when we come back.
    “I don’t think he will play against Palace but maybe he surprises me.”
    City face Japanese side Urawa Red Diamonds in Tuesday’s CWC semi-final.
    But Guardiola said they remain cautious with Haaland, who missed Sunday’s 2-1 win over Luton.
    He said: “Sometimes players recover quickly, longer. The moment he doesn’t have pain he will play.”
    Haddad, who runs a clinic in Beirut, is a biomechanics and movement therapist.
    He published a book about the true functions of muscles and believes while the human body is complex, it does not need complex methods to heal.
    The goal machine picked up a foot problem in City’s shock defeat to Aston Villa ten days agoCredit: Getty
    Pep Guardiola is hopeful Manchester City’s main man will be able to travel to SaudiCredit: PA
    The Norwegian has sought the help of biomechanics expert John Haddad to be fit for the competitionCredit: PA
    Haddad also runs a firm that produces glasses that block out specific kinds of light — which Haaland has used to improve his sleep and relaxation.
    Meanwhile, Pep does not want his stars to think of the Saudi sunshine as they tackle Palace.
    Read more on The Sun
    He said: “That is my job — to warn them and make sure they know.
    “Always we struggle against Crystal Palace.” More

  • in

    Man City ‘keen on shock transfer for Canada international but are told to fork out staggering £50m to seal deal’

    MANCHESTER CITY are considering a January move for Club Brugge star Tajon Buchanan, according to reports.Pep Guardiola is keen to strengthen out wide following the departure of Riyad Mahrez in the summer.
    Tajon Buchanan has caught the eye at Club BruggeCredit: AP
    Jeremy Doku was signed and has hit the ground running with four goals and six assists, but City appear keen to add a right winger to their ranks.
    Buchanan, 24, has caught the eye since joining Club Brugge from MLS side New England in 2021.
    And City would be prepared to splash out £50million in January, according to the Daily Star.
    Buchanan has 18 months left on his contract and is reportedly unlikely to sign a new deal.
    READ MORE IN FOOTBALL
    Inter Milan are also interested in the Canada international, who has also played at right-back and right wing-back in his career.
    That versatility should appeal to Guardiola and the fluid system he has installed in his team.
    City could have a busy January window with Kalvin Phillips heavily rumoured to be leaving the club.
    Newcastle have been linked to the midfielder while Manchester United insiders say Erik ten Hag is a “big fan” and that Phillips is the “perfect fit” for the new direction he wants to head in.
    Most read in Football
    CASINO SPECIAL – BEST CASINO WELCOME OFFER
    Phillips has been tipped to join Juventus on loan as Guardiola admitted to “feeling sorry” for the England star.
    He said: “I don’t know what’s going to happen. I feel so sorry for my decision for him. I’ve said that many times.
    “He doesn’t deserve what has happened to him and I’m so sorry.
    “The only thing I can say about him is I am asking for good personalities and characters and he is a perfect example. And after that I have to give him something and I didn’t do that.
    “It’s just because I visualise some things and visualise the team and things – and I struggle to see him.
    “I’m not very pleased [with myself] and I am so sorry for him. I will not say that [to him] because it is a business and I have to be a professional.
    “But if one guy behaves [poorly], I don’t care. But the way he behaves with the team-mates and everyone, I care. So that’s why hopefully it can turn around.
    “And I’ve said many times, if it comes to January and he stays, I’m more than pleased because he trains really good and he’s a lovely guy and character.” More

  • in

    Luton crowd taunts Jack Grealish with brutal chant but Man City star has the last laugh

    JACK GREALISH went from zero to hair-o as he overcame cutting jibes.Luton fans trolled the Manchester City winger for looking incredibly similar to an ex-icon of their own – especially his trademark hairstyle.
    Jack Grealish enjoys sinking Luton after being trolled by home fansCredit: PA
    Lookalike Harry Cornick even celebrates his goals in the same wayCredit: Getty
    And as City trailed 1-0 at Kenilworth Road, home supporters chanted at Grealish: “He’s just a sh*t Harry Cornick.”
    That niche comparison – between two players who have so much in common yet have endured such contrasting fortunes – dates back a few years.
    And fans online loved the “amazing” chants in Sunday’s Prem clash.
    But the shouts were silenced midway through the second period when Grealish made the biggest impression himself – by sliding in to complete City’s 2-1 comeback victory.
    READ MORE TOP STORIES
    Cornick has the same controversial buzzcut as the England ace.
    But matching crops merely top off what many Hatters’ supporters consider to be their dead-ringer appearances.
    They are both 28 and generally found on the wing.
    But while Grealish won the Treble with City last season, Cornick departed Luton for Bristol City in January.
    Most read in Football
    CASINO SPECIAL – BEST CASINO WELCOME OFFER
    And in fact it was MIDDLESBROUGH fans who sent comparisons between the two into overdrive in November 2021.
    Away supporters taunted Cornick during a Championship game with cries of: “He’s just a sh*t Jack Grealish.”
    But Cornick went on to round off a 3-1 home win for Luton.
    And Hatters fans responded by repeating the Boro chant – but as a compliment.
    A bit Corni – but who’s complaining?! More

  • in

    I was Luton physio when we relegated Man City – I sprang into action to save fan hit by car but he spat and swore at me

    MANCHESTER CITY fans were so livid when Raddy Antic’s late winner relegated them in 1983 that they took their anger out on the Luton bus trying to escape Maine Road.One supporter ran towards the coach to vent his fury but was hit by a car going the other way.
    Physio John Sheridan could ‘never have forgiven myself’ if he had not got off the Luton team bus to attend one of the furious Man City supportersCredit: Dave Pinegar
    Then-Hatters boss David Pleat raced onto the pitch to celebrate staying up in iconic scenes, but defeat sent Man City down to the second tierCredit: Rex
    Hatters physio John Sheridan sprang into action, defying police orders to get off the bus and help the injured man — who kept spouting expletives as he was treated.
    Reflecting on that eventful day 40 years ago as if it were yesterday, Sheridan told SunSport: “The police said, ‘What are you doing?’
    “I said, ‘I’ve got to, I can’t leave someone lying injured in the road’.
    “I could never forgive myself if I had kept on the coach, it was the right thing to do.
    READ MORE TOP STORIES
    “The coach was under attack a bit. The police told us to keep down below the windows.
    “The supporter was quite badly injured, he had a suspected fractured leg. I was bandaging him up.
    “And he was raving at me, spitting at me, saying, ‘You put us down’.
    “He had a few obscenities which weren’t to be repeated.
    Most read in Football
    “It was quite hairy. The police told me to get on the coach because we were putting the players in danger.
    “I sorted him out, got on the coach and was a bit shellshocked.”
    Both sides went into the game facing relegation from the top flight and Antic’s heroics kept Luton up, with Hatters chief David Pleat famously dancing on the pitch in celebration.
    Sheridan was there with him and recalls the atmosphere was so hostile that they were “scared for our lives”.
    It sparked an unlikely rivalry between the clubs and Sheridan reckons some fans will be well aware of it when City come to The Kenny today.
    He added: “The older supporters will remember that game.
    “It was one of the games that goes down in history with so much at stake.”
    Luton’s Steve Davis challenges Andy Morrison and Gareth Taylor in the nailbiter More

  • in

    Pep Guardiola says he feels ‘so sorry’ for Man City outcast Kalvin Phillips as he ‘struggles to see him in the team’

    PEP GUARDIOLA has admitted that he feels “so sorry” for Manchester City outcast Kalvin Phillips.The former Leeds star has struggled to ever establish himself since moving to City from Elland Road.
    Kalvin Phillips has been stuck on Man City’s bench this seasonCredit: Alamy
    Pep Guardiola has seldom used the midfielderCredit: Reuters
    Phillips has featured for just 89 minutes of his side’s first 15 Premier League games of this season, despite being injury free.
    He has been an unused substitute in City’s last four Prem encounters.
    With the January transfer window fast approaching, Phillips has been linked with a move away from the Etihad.
    Asked about the possibility of the 28-year-old moving on, boss Guardiola said: “I don’t know what’s going to happen. I feel so sorry for my decision for him. I’ve said that many times.
    Read More Football Stories
    “He doesn’t deserve what has happened to him and I’m so sorry.
    “The only thing I can say about him is I am asking for good personalities and characters and he is a perfect example. And after that I have to give him something and I didn’t do that.
    “It’s just because I visualise some things and visualise the team and things – and I struggle to see him.
    “I’m not very pleased [with myself] and I am so sorry for him. I will not say that [to him] because it is a business and I have to be a professional.
    Most read in Football
    CASINO SPECIAL – BEST CASINO WELCOME OFFER
    “But if one guy behaves [poorly], I don’t care. But the way he behaves with the team-mates and everyone, I care. So that’s why hopefully it can turn around.
    “And I’ve said many times, if it comes to January and he stays, I’m more than pleased because he trains really good and he’s a lovely guy and character.”
    Phillips has been linked with a January switch to Italian giants Juventus.
    Regular first-team football during the second half of the season would likely strengthen Phillips’ claim for a place in Gareth Southgate’s England squad for Euro 2024.
    In order for Phillips to join Juventus, however, the Italian side hope for City to cover the majority of his £150,000 a week wages.
    Bayern Munich have also been linked with the midfielder, who could link up with his Three Lions skipper Harry Kane in Germany.
    While Newcastle are another side to possess an interest, having lost Sandro Tonali to a 10-month betting ban.
    The Man City boss does not have an issue with Phillips’ trainingCredit: Getty More

  • in

    Pep Guardiola promises to retire if Man City win Treble again this season

    PEP GUARDIOLA has vowed to “RETIRE” if Manchester City repeat their Treble antics this season.City scooped the Premier League, FA Cup and Champions League trophies last season in a historic campaign for the club.
    Manchester City won a historic treble last seasonCredit: REX
    The Citizens will be hard-pressed to repeat the stunning featCredit: GETTY
    Manager Pep Guardiola has vowed to retire if City retain all three trophies this seasonCredit: GETTY
    The defending English champions are currently six points behind table toppers Arsenal, a gap which has led many to wonder if they can repeat their incredible feat of the 2022/23 campaign.
    Guardiola, however, is confident of finishing first in the Prem title race and has sensationally claimed he’ll walk away from the club if they do so.
    Ahead of City’s Prem clash with Aston Villa, he told Amazon Prime: “If we win the treble this season, I’ll retire.
    “That’s for sure.
    “I know it is extremely difficult, how many incredible teams have been in England.
    “And just one with Sir Alex Ferguson has done it and ourselves last season.
    “When we spoke, prepare well for the first game and how we try to do it and then the second and now the third.
    “We will see our level and the competition itself dictates your level, the opponent dictates, the challenge is higher but in September, October, November, thinking about the title, forget about it.”
    Most read in Football
    CASINO SPECIAL – BEST CASINO WELCOME OFFER
    City have struggled for consistency this season without star midfielder Kevin de Bruyne pulling the strings.
    But Guardiola is adamant his troops will find form when required to and win an unprecedented fourth straight Prem title.
    He said: “My feeling today is we’re going to win the Premier League.
    “If we play at the levels that we showed against Liverpool and Tottenham, we’re going to win it again.
    “People don’t believe it already after three draws but we feel we’re going to do it again, knowing that it is not easy because no team has done it yet (won four in a row).
    “The difficulty is there and was last season but, if you ask me today what I’m feeling, we’re going to do it again.”
    Pep Guardiola is confident of getting his hands on the Premier League title againCredit: Getty More

  • in

    Kalvin Phillips’ loan transfer to Juventus at risk of collapsing due to major sticking point as Prem rivals set to swoop

    JUVENTUS hope to persuade Manchester City to carry on paying most of Kalvin Phillips’ wages if he joins them next month.And that could prove to be a sticking point for a move to Italy for the England midfielder.
    Kalvin Phillips is wanted by Italian giants JuventusCredit: Alamy
    But the Old Lady want City to pay the England midfielder’s wagesCredit: Getty
    The Three Lions favourite is looking for a loan move in the New Year to keep his dreams of playing in Euro 2024 alive.
    A move to join the Serie A title chasers is something that appeals to the former Leeds man.
    Juve are currently at the head of the queue as they are in the market for a new midfielder during the January window.
    However, they are not keen on paying the whole of the 28-year-old’s wages – which are believed to be around £150,000 per week – outright.
    READ MORE IN FOOTBALL
    Bayern Munich have also been linked with Phillips and did some business with the treble winners last January when Joao Cancelo moved to Germany.
    Meanwhile, Newcastle are also interested as Eddie Howe looks to bolster his injury-hit squad for the second half of the season.
    However, City may take some convincing to strengthen one of their domestic rivals at a key point of the season.
    Phillips is in contention to start in midfield for City’s trip to Aston Villa this evening due to an injury to star midfielder Rodri.
    Most read in Football
    FREE BETS – BEST BETTING OFFERS & NEW CUSTOMER BONUSES
    Pep Guardiola has revealed Kalvin Phillips could start against Aston Villa tonightCredit: Getty
    When sked if Rodri’s absence is an opportunity for Phillips, City boss Guardiola said: “Yes.”
    He added: “I said he has a chance [of starting].
    “We have to see in training this afternoon [if he will start the game] and see how the players are and feel. A decision will be made tomorrow.”
    “We will find the best solution to compete against Aston Villa.”
    Phillips’ efforts in training during his hiatus from the first team have impressed Guardiola, who said: “[They have been] exceptional.
    “I don’t have any bad comments, as I have said many times.” More