More stories

  • in

    Liverpool paid £2m for me when I was just 14 but now I’m playing for little known Belgian minnows at 26

    FORMER Liverpool star Sheyi Ojo was bought by the Reds for £2MILLION at the age of just 14.The winger was one of the most sought-after talents in England before Liverpool secured his services from MK Dons in 2011 for what was a lucrative fee at such a young age.
    Sheyi Ojo scored for Liverpool in the FA Cup seven years agoCredit: –
    Ojo, left, now plays for Kortrijk in BelgiumCredit: 2023 Isosport/MB Media
    He was subsequently sent out on a number of loans to the likes of Wigan, Wolves, Fulham, Cardiff, Millwall, Reims and Rangers.
    In amongst those spells, he returned to Liverpool and played 11 times during the 2015-16 campaign.
    And he scored in an FA Cup third-round replay against Exeter at Anfield.
    He then fractured his back and would feature just twice more for the Reds.
    READ MORE IN FOOTBALL
    Ojo eventually left Liverpool permanently in 2022 when he signed for Cardiff.
    He penned a two-year contract with the Championship outfit and played 39 times last season.
    The Welsh side finished down in 21st place, avoiding relegation by just four points.
    Then in the summer Ojo was deemed surplus to requirements.
    Most read in Football
    CASINO SPECIAL – BEST CASINO WELCOME OFFERS
    Belgian Pro League club Kortrijk agreed a season-long loan deal for the attacker – who earned one cap for England’s U21s in 2017.
    And he has started each of their last seven league games – only one of which they have won.
    Kortrijk, who are owned by Cardiff chief Vincent Tan, sit bottom of the table with just five points from 10 matches.
    And things do not get easier for Ojo’s new club as they prepare to host Belgian champions Club Brugge on Saturday. More

  • in

    Jamal Musiala ‘lined up for huge Premier League transfer with Bayern Munich star yet to enter new contract talks’

    JAMAL MUSIALA is reportedly being lined up for a huge Premier League transfer to Liverpool.The 20-year-old playmaker is already a key man for German champions Bayern Munich, scoring 32 goals in 133 outings.
    Liverpool are eyeing a move for Bayern Munich star Jamal MusialaCredit: Getty
    But Sport Bild claims Musiala could soon be on the move.
    The former Chelsea youngster’s contract expires in 2026, with Bayern keen to extend it.
    However, Musiala’s agents are currently not talking to Thomas Tuchel’s side about a new deal.
    And that could open the door for Liverpool to pounce, with Jurgen Klopp a huge fan.
    READ MORE FOOTBALL NEWS
    The Reds already had a midfield rebuild in the last window.
    But a silky dribbler connecting the dots to attack could be the missing piece of Klopp’s new puzzle.
    And Musiala could be keen on returning to England, having already won four titles and a Champions League in Bavaria.
    He’s not the only Bayern player said to be in Liverpool’s sights, with the Anfield club also keeping tabs on former Man City winger Leroy Sane.
    Most read in Football
    FREE BETS – BEST BETTING OFFERS AND BONUSES NEW CUSTOMERS
    Should Musiala join Liverpool, he would surely transform their fortunes and help challenge for the Premier League once again.
    The ace has had star backing too from new Bayern striker Harry Kane, with the England captain claiming Musiala is the player who has impressed him most at the Allianz Arena.
    Kane said: “Jamal has been fantastic. There’s been a lot of talk about how good he is and how young he is.
    “He’s been great to watch in training and in tight areas how he moves and how he plays forward. He’s been fantastic to play with so far.” More

  • in

    Liverpool cult hero and Champions League winner who featured in iconic film Goal! wants managerial job in Britain

    EX-LIVERPOOL star Igor Biscan wants a managerial job in Britain.The Croatian played under Gerard Houllier and was recently boss at Dinamo Zagreb.
    Igor Biscan spent five years at Liverpool and won the Champions League in 2005
    Biscan wants to return to Britain to work as a manager after leaving Dinamo Zagreb
    The former midfielder was also on the shortlist for the Rangers role.
    Biscan joined Liverpool in 2000 following a five-year stint at Dinamo, who also sent him out on loan to Samobor in 1995.
    The ex-Croatia international spent five years at Anfield and amassed a total of three goals as well as three assists in 118 appearances with the Reds.
    The 45-year-old also won two League Cups as well as the 2005 Champions League trophy.
    Read More on Football
    Biscan remained on the bench that famous night in Istanbul that saw the Merseysiders coming back to draw 3-3 with AC Milan before beating them 3-2 on penalties.
    The Croatian left Liverpool shortly after their historic European triumph and joined Panathinaikos.
    Biscan struggled in Greece and never managed to live up to expectations as a recent European champion.
    That led to his exit in 2007 as he returned to Dinamo a year later.
    Most read in Football
    CASINO SPECIAL – BEST CASINO WELCOME OFFERS
    Biscan played for four years in Zagreb until his retirement at the age of 34.
    He also registered a total of 17 appearances with the Croatian national team.
    Biscan has already amassed experience as a manager having coached Rudes, Olimpija Ljubljana, Rijeka, Croatia’s Under-21 side and of course Dinamo.
    The Liverpool hero won the second division in Croatia with Rudes, a double with Slovenian outfit Olimpija, the Croatian Cup with Rijeka and the league with Dinamo.
    Biscan is also remembered for appearing in the famous film Goal! where he played himself along with other football stars, such as David Beckham, Zinedine Zidane and Steven Gerrard. More

  • in

    Liverpool battling Bayern Munich for new sporting director who was sacked over commitment and shares Klopp’s agent

    LIVERPOOL are set to battle with Bayern Munich for a new sporting director who was sacked for a lack of commitment to his last role, reports suggest.The Reds reportedly want to make Max Eberl their new sporting director with encumbant Jorg Schmadtke expected to make way in the summer.
    Max Eberl is wanted by Liverpool to become their new sporting directorCredit: Getty – Contributor
    Jurgen Klopp has the same agent as EberlCredit: Rex
    Eberl shares the same agent as Liverpool boss Jurgen Klopp, which Liverpool chiefs hope will be a pulling factor.
    However, this relationship may not be enough, with BILD reporting that German champions Bayern Munich are also interested in him.
    The 50-year-old was sacked in September from his previous role at RB Leipzig.
    This was owing to what the club called a lack of commitment to the role due to links with Bayern while he still held the position.
    READ MORE IN FOOTBALL
    Liverpool CEO Billy Hogan is said to have already contacted Eberl with an offer.
    It is hoped an agreement can be come to soon over his appointment.
    This being said, Eberl is believed to have a close relationship with Bayern board member Uli Hoeness.
    Eberl made his name at Borussia Monchengladbach, initially joining as an academy director after retiring from football in 2005.
    Most read in Football
    FREE BETS – BEST BETTING OFFERS AND BONUSES NEW CUSTOMERS
    He spent three years in the role before becoming the clubs director of sport, a position he would hold for well over a decade.
    Eberl has been credited with helping to develop a number of Bundesliga talents Premier League fans will be familiar with, including Granit Xhaka, Marco Reus and Marc-Andre ter Stegen.
    In December 2022 Eberl moved to RB Leipzig, lasting nine months before he was relieved of his duties. More

  • in

    Liverpool and Man City lock horns in transfer chase for Denmark wonderkid with Barcelona also in the race

    LIVERPOOL are interested in signing Lecce wonderkid Patrick Dorgu, according to reports.The youngster has earned comparisons to Andy Robertson and attracted attention from major European clubs.
    Patrick Dorgu has impressed for LecceCredit: Getty
    Dorgu, 18, broke into the Lecce first team this season and has made eight appearances in Serie A.
    And he has already impressed enough for Liverpool to begin monitoring his situation, report Gazzetta dello Sport.
    Manchester City are also said to be keen on the left-back, who is under contract until 2027.
    City could benefit from strengthening with Sergio Gomez the only recognised left-back in the squad following the departure of Joao Cancelo.
    READ MORE IN FOOTBALL
    The Portuguese joined Barcelona on loan in the summer but the Spanish giants are also keen on Dorgu.
    However all three clubs could miss out on the Dane after he revealed his dream is to play for a different Premier League team.
    He said: “Chelsea is my dream to play for. I have been a fan of them for over 10 years, so it would be a huge dream to play for them.”
    The Blues could be on the lookout for a left-back following the injury to Ben Chilwell.
    Most read in Football
    FREE BETS – BEST BETTING OFFERS AND BONUSES NEW CUSTOMERS
    Levi Colwill has deputised in his absence but is more suited to playing in central defence, while boss Mauricio Pochettino has not been keen on using Marc Cucurella. More

  • in

    Liverpool suffer huge injury blow as Andy Robertson suffers suspected dislocated shoulder in Scotland v Spain game

    LIVERPOOL star Andy Robertson was forced off during Scotland’s match against Spain with a suspected dislocated shoulder.The left-back clashed with goalkeeper Unai Simon in the first half, and appeared to be in pain.
    Unai Simon lands on top of Andy RobertsonCredit: Reuters
    Andy Robertson had to be leave the pitch in a makeshift slingCredit: Kenny Ramsay
    Robertson, 29 , was treated by Scotland’s medical staff on the pitch.
    After staying down the Liverpool defender had to be given treatment and led off by the Scottish medical team with his arm in a makeshift sling.
    Nathan Patterson replaced him with a few minutes of the first half left of the crunch match.
    Scotland ended up losing 2-0 in Seville after a wonder goal from Scott McTominay was cruelly ruled out by VAR.
    Read More in Football
    Goals from Spain’s Álvaro Morata and Oihan Sancet decided the game, which leaves Scotland waiting for Euro qualification.
    There will be no panic in the Scottish camp though, as they will progress to Euro 2024 if Norway fail to beat Spain this Sunday.
    If not, Scotland will have two more chances to get the job done themselves next month.
    The injury to Robertson however is potentially a huge blow for Liverpool boss Jurgen Klopp.
    Most read in Football
    FREE BETS – BEST BETTING OFFERS AND BONUSES NEW CUSTOMERS
    Liverpool have the Merseyside derby with Everton to look forward to on October 21.
    Robertson has started every Premier League game for Liverpool so far this season.
    If Robertson is ruled out with injury, Kostas Tsimikas would be his likely replacement.
    The Greece international, 27, signed a long-term contract extension last month.
    Liverpool are currently fourth in the Premier League after five wins, two draws and one defeat.
    Klopp celebrated eight years in charge of the club last weekend.
    The Reds drew 2-2 with Brighton to keep up their quest for another Premier League title. More

  • in

    Ian Rush is my great-uncle… I’m already following in his footsteps for Liverpool now I can with Wales too

    OWEN BECK says Liverpool legend Ian Rush is his inspiration as he plots a career pathway like his famous great-uncle.The Reds full-back, on loan at Dundee, is in line to make his Wales debut against Gibraltar in a Wrexham friendly tonight.
    Wales and Liverpool legend Ian Rush is Beck’s great-uncleCredit: PA:Empics Sport
    Liverpool and Wales great Rush is expected to be in the crowd at the Racecourse to watch the 21-year-old in action.
    Wrexham-born Beck said: “He’s someone I look up to. He’s a great inspiration.
    “When I speak to him over the phone or see him in person, his advice means a lot because it’s coming from the best. 
    “I’ve looked up all his clips and his goals and there’s not many better players I could have looked up.
    READ MORE IAN RUSH NEWS
    “What he did in his career at club and international level was incredible. It’s exactly what I want to do.
    “When I got call up it was a dream come true and a surreal moment. All my family are coming. 
    “If he gives me any advice it’s advice from the best so it would be really valuable to me. I’m sure he’ll be here watching.”
    Rush scored 28 goals for Wales before Gareth Bale broke his goal scoring record in 2018.
    Most read in Football
    FREE BETS – BEST BETTING OFFERS AND BONUSES NEW CUSTOMERS
    Liverpool youngster Owen Beck is set to make his Wales debut against GibraltarCredit: AFP
    Wales boss Robert Page is also expected to hand Charlie Savage, son of Wales and Leicester midfielder Robbie, his first senior cap against Gibraltar, ranked 198th in the world.
    Ahead of the Racecourse clash, Page has one eye on Sunday’s crunch Euro 2024 qualifier at home to Croatia.
    This will be the nation’s first father and son combination since 1986 when Jeremy Charles followed dad Mel – who played at the 1958 World Cup.
    Savage Jr, who left Manchester United for Reading in the summer, said: “It’s an amazing experience.
    “My nan’s coming, she lives about a mile away from The Racecourse. 
    “To have all my family there from Wrexham, it will be an amazing night.
    “It’s something I have always dreamt of doing. It’s surreal. I’m just excited to get going. I’ve played for the Under 17s, 18s, 19s, 21s and this is the next step.
    “There’s a few familiar faces in the squad but the older players have been really nice, looked after me and made sure I have everything I need.
    Read More on The Sun
    “I’ve only had a few conversations with Rob. I’ve listened to what he has said and, as a young player, it’s a privilege to even have the first team manager watching you and then to call you up.
    “Growing up, if someone told me at the age of 20 that I’d be called up by my country, I’d have bitten your hand off. I’ve got to enjoy it whether I play or not.” More

  • in

    Chelsea and Liverpool to fight Man Utd for £80m-rated striker who has ‘unusual release clause’

    CHELSEA and Liverpool are reportedly ready to go head to head in a battle to sign a new £80m-rated striker alongside Man United.The Premier League giants are all said to be keen on securing the services of RB Leipzig’s Lois Openda.
    Liverpool and Chelsea are reportedly set to battle Man United in their pursuit for Lois OpendaCredit: Getty
    According to BILD journalist Christian Falk, Liverpool are looking to try and sign the 23-year-old after their success in signing Dominik Szoboszlai from Leipzig this summer.
    But the Reds will face competition for his signature as Chelsea have also been linked with the Belgium international.
    Fichajes have reported that the Stamford Bridge outfit are keen on signing Openda as they look to put an end to their striker woes.
    The Blues have had issues finding the right centre forward for their squad in recent seasons, but Mauricio Pochettino is understood to be keen on the idea of bring Openda to London in January.
    READ MORE ON FOOTBALL
    Openda has bagged four goals in just six Bundesliga appearances this season and is rumoured to be valued at around £80m by Leipzig who know the talent they have on their hands.
    The forward joined the Germans this summer from RC Lens after he helped the Ligue 1 side come within just one point of PSG in the league last season.
    But despite only just coming through the door at Red Bull Arena, he could be snatched away with reports of a release clause in his contract.
    It is said that a release clause worth more than £65m has been inserted into his current deal but unusually, it won’t become active until 2025.
    Most read in Football
    FREE BETS – BEST BETTING OFFERS AND BONUSES NEW CUSTOMERS
    This would mean that if Chelsea and Liverpool are keen on signing the rising star any sooner than 2025, then they may have to pay over the odds to get a deal over the line.
    On top of this they could face even more competition in their pursuit with Fichajes also suggesting Manchester United are eyeing the former Club Brugge man.
    Erik ten Hag and Man United are keeping a keen eye on OpendaCredit: EPA More