More stories

  • in

    Fulham hijack Liverpool’s transfer move for Brazil international star Andre as they prepare for Joao Palhinha’s exit

    FULHAM are in talks to sign Brazil international Andre as a potential replacement for star man Joao Palhinha.The Cottagers have had a delegation in South America to try and line up a deal for the Fluminense midfielder, who has also been linked with Liverpool.
    Andre is Fulham’s No1 target to replace Joao PalhinhaCredit: Getty
    Star man Joao Palhinha appears likely to leave the CottagersCredit: Reuters
    Marco Silva, who received assurances over backing in the transfer market before committing to a new deal last month, almost lost Palhinha on deadline day in September.
    The Portuguese midfielder was in Germany ready to complete a move to Bayern Munich on the final day of the window before the plugged was pulled with Fulham unable to sign a replacement at short notice.
    Palhinha quickly signed a new contract until 2028 at Craven Cottage but there are no assurances that he will stay at the club – meaning the West Londoners are having to draw up a succession plan.
    Andre, who made his Brazil debut in June, is top of their list and the Whites are currently favourites to complete a deal.
    READ MORE ON FOOTBALL
    The 22-year-old has four goals and three assists in 162 appearances for Fluminense and helped the Brazilian side win the Copa Libatadores, the South American equivalent of the Champions League.
    Fulham are also in the market to sign a striker in the January market as they continue to struggle following the sale of Aleksandar Mitrovic in the summer.
    SunSport revealed this week that Silva is tracking a trio of strikers ahead of the winter window.
    Santiago Gimenez at Feyenoord is an ambitious target, while AZ Alkmaar’s Vangelis Pavlidis and Stuttgart striker Serhou Guirassy are also being monitored.
    Most read in Football
    FREE BETS – BEST BETTING OFFERS AND BONUSES NEW CUSTOMERS
    Pavlidis, who is the top scorer in the Eredivisie, would be available for around £20million though no official talks have been held so far.
    Fulham take on Aston Villa on Sunday at 2pm.
    They enter the game facing a Villa team in fine form – with the Villains winning their last 11 consecutive home games stretching back to last season. More

  • in

    Moises Caicedo reveals three things Chelsea star told him in phone call that made him snub Liverpool for Blues transfer

    MOISES CAICEDO has lifted the lid on the phone call that convinced him to snub Liverpool in favour of Chelsea. The Ecuadorian international was the subject of a transfer tug-of-war between the two sides.
    Moises Caicedo signed for Chelsea or £115m in the summerCredit: Getty
    It came after Liverpool had agreed a £110m deal with BrightonCredit: Rex
    Caicedo snubbed the Reds and signed for Chelsea insteadCredit: Getty
    Jurgen Klopp’s outfit had agreed a £110million deal with Brighton only for Caicedo to reject personal terms with them before Chelsea eventually completed the deal for a Premier League record of £115m.
    After a tricky start Caicedo has settled into the Blues midfield, appearing 12 times so far this season under Mauricio Pochettino.
    And he has now revealed how a phone call with Argentina World Cup winner and fellow Blues midfielder Enzo Fernandez convinced him to head to Stamford Bridge over Anfield.
    Speaking on Sky Sport’s Big Interview alongside Fernandez, he said: “It was a nice chat. I mean, the fact that a world champion was phoning you, one of the best midfielders in the world.
    READ MORE IN FOOTBALL
    “Receiving that call was very nice and he convinced me to come here.”
    The 22-year-old continued: “He said it was a great club, that there are many young players, there was a togetherness here.
    “I have always enjoyed the bond in a team because I think that, if there is that bond, we can deal with any situation we may face: pressure, everything. So, that’s what motivated me to come here.
    “Now, I’m enjoying playing alongside him, in training as well, in rondos.
    Most read in Football
    CASINO SPECIAL – BEST CASINO WELCOME OFFERS
    “We are always together. So, I’m very happy and I’m trying to do things better every day, as Enzo said, to be a good example for everyone at the club.”
    Fernandez, who signed for Chelsea for £106m the January before Caicedo joined, is thankful that he was able to convince him to join.
    He said: “I called and told him that he had to accept and come because Chelsea is a great and ambitious club.
    “And I have to thank God for giving me the chance to play alongside him at Chelsea because we all know the great player he is, but he is also a fantastic person, so I’m thankful he chose Chelsea.”
    The pair are likely to line up together against Manchester City tomorrow.
    Caicedo revealed it was a phone call with Enzo Fernandez that swayed himCredit: Getty More

  • in

    Brazilian wonderkid Gabriel Moscardo reveals Chelsea made him transfer ‘proposal’ but he snubbed it after dad’s advice

    BRAZILIAN wonderkid Gabriel Moscardo has claimed Chelsea made him a transfer proposal in the summer.The Corinthians midfielder, 18, has been linked with a number of top European sides including Arsenal, Liverpool and Barcelona.
    Gabriel Moscardo of Corinthians claimed Chelsea had put in a transfer proposalCredit: Getty
    Todd Boehly wanted to Brazilian teen as part of his £400m summer transfer splurgeCredit: Reuters
    The Blues transfer strategy over the summer was to hoover up as much young talent as possible in a £400million splurge.
    This outlay took Todd Boehly’s transfer investment to over £1billion in just one year of ownership.
    And according to Moscardo he could have also been added to the list of names bought by the London club, but opted to stay put until the end of the Brazilian league’s season.
    As quoted by The Standard, he said: “There was a proposal from Chelsea months ago, but I talk a lot with my agent and my parents and they try to give me as little information as possible.
    READ MORE IN FOOTBALL
    “They say there is not long until the end of the season, they tell me to dedicate myself and do well, and that at the end of the season, there will be good things.”
    According to ESPN that offer was worth around £18m.
    Speaking after his side’s 1-1 draw with Atlético Mineiro on Thursday, he once again hinted at a transfer to the Premier League.
    However, he said his focus was ensuring Corinthians did not fall into the relegation zone in the final few games of the season.
    Most read in Football
    FREE BETS – BEST BETTING OFFERS AND BONUSES NEW CUSTOMERS
    He said: “To tell you the truth, I have very little information, my father knows a few things.
    “He prefers not to tell me so as not to influence my head too much, to end up taking a little bit of my focus here.
    “He says: ‘Here your focus is on Corinthians’. Let’s wait for the season to end, there are still a few games to go, and we’ll see what we can do.
    “Of course there’s interest from various clubs, I’ve also heard about it, there was strong interest from Chelsea a few months ago.
    “But if you stop to think about where I’m going now, at this moment, it’s not good.
    “I want to help Corinthians now to get them out of this situation.”
    The defensive midfielder only broke into the Brazilian outfit’s senior team in the second half of the season. More

  • in

    Liverpool plot stunning transfer raid for ‘next Trent Alexander-Arnold’ but face paying Leeds £50MILLION for teenager

    LIVERPOOL looks set to attempt to bolster their squad with their focus fixed on a talented Leed United youngster.England Under-19 star Archie Gray, 17, has reportedly been singled out by Jurgen Klopp’s side as a potential big-money addition.
    Archie Gray has made fourteen appearances for Leeds United this seasonCredit: Rex
    Gray has been compared to Liverpool’s Trent Alexander-ArnoldCredit: Alamy
    After making fourteen appearances this season for Daniel Farke’s side, Gray’s value has skyrocketed, with the Daily Mail reporting that he could cost from £40-50 million.
    Gray’s ability to play at right back and in the middle of the field has led to comparisons with Liverpool and England star Trent Alexander-Arnold.
    However, should Leeds decide to cash in on the starlet, Liverpool could reportedly face competition from fellow Premier League sides Everton and Crystal Palace.
    A Leeds Academy graduate, Gray’s dad is none other than former Leeds star Andy Gray, while his grandfather is another United legend – Frank Gray.
    Read More on Football
    He is also a great-nephew of Whites legend Eddie Gray.
    The latest Gray has been key to the success of Farke’s team this season, who sit third in the Championship.
    Whether or not Leeds would let Gray leave so early in his career is unknown.
    He himself admitted to Eddie Gray in an interview in October for United’s YouTube channel that he was always bound to play for Leeds.
    Most read in Football
    CASINO SPECIAL – BEST CASINO WELCOME OFFERS
    Gray explained: “Ever since I was young watching my dad play, heard about you playing, seeing clips of you playing and my grandad Frank, I always had to live up to it.”
    He also admitted he would “love to play with” his younger brother Harry, 14, who is currently a member of Leeds’ Academy and has played for England’s Under-15s.
    But whether or not he’s willing to wait for the next Gray to break through is unclear, given that he also discussed aiming to suit up for England.
    Gray’s current contract is set to expire in June 2025.
    Gray could reportedly fetch £40-50 millionCredit: Alamy
    He is related to Leeds legend Eddie GrayCredit: Getty
    Frank Gray is his grandadCredit: News Group Newspapers Ltd More

  • in

    Jurgen Klopp can’t hide his anger as he’s forced to do a press conference in a TENT next to celebrating Toulouse fans

    JURGEN KLOPP could not hide his anger after being forced to do his post-match press conference in a TENT surrounded by rowdy Toulouse fans. Liverpool were beaten 3-2 in France and were denied a late equaliser due to a handball in the build up.
    Jurgen Klopp could not hide his anger after his press conference was hijacked by Toulouse fans
    It was safe to say Klopp was still fuming with the result and his mood was only worsened as Toulouse cheers filled the press conference room – which was staged in a the makeshift venue outside the stadium.
    He blasted: “Who had the idea to do the press conference here? That will be a really interesting question. Wow.”
    Klopp sighed and was even left head in hands as raucous Toulouse celebrations only picked up.
    Liverpool found themselves 2-0 down when goals from Aron Donnum and Thijs Dallinga put the host’s ahead.
    READ MORE IN football
    A Cristian Casseres Jr own goal narrowed the lead until substitute Frank Magri made it 3-1.
    Diogo Jota kickstarted a fight back on 89 minutes and Liverpool thought they had snatched a late leveller through Jarell Quansah.
    But a handball in the build up from Alexis Mac Allister forced VAR to chalk off the equaliser – leaving Klopp raging.
    He said: “I only saw the video back now and for me it’s not a handball, but how can I decide that?
    Most read in Football
    FREE BETS – BEST BETTING OFFERS AND BONUSES NEW CUSTOMERS
    “The ball goes to the chest and then I don’t see a contact with the arm, to be honest. Maybe they had a different picture than I had.
    “It was pretty long ago before we scored the goal and I thought, ‘Where is the free-kick?’
    “I didn’t see it properly but I heard there could have been a penalty for us in another situation, I don’t know.
    “Actually, I am a bit more concerned about [the fact that] I would have loved us to have played better, to be honest.
    “That’s my main issue tonight. In a football way more aggressive.”
    Toulouse beat Liverpool 3-2 in the Europa LeagueCredit: Reuters More

  • in

    Ex-Premier League star, 34, plays for Liverpool U21s at alongside 16-year-old – 11 years since first leaving club

    JAY SPEARING, 34, made a surprise appearance for Liverpool’s Under-21s in the EFL Trophy last night.The midfielder made 55 appearances for Liverpool’s first team between 2010 and 2014 before leaving the club to join Bolton Wanderers.
    Jay Spearing is a player-coach for Liverpool’s under-21sCredit: Rex
    Spearing has made six appearances for Liverpool’s under-21s, including against former club BlackpoolCredit: Getty
    Spearing made 55 appearances for Liverpool’s first-teamCredit: Mark Robinson – The Sun
    From there, he embarked on a journeyman career which took in spells at Blackburn, Blackpool and Tranmere Rovers.
    Last year, he re-joined Liverpool as a coach for the team’s under-21s which also takes in a playing role.
    That’s seen him make six appearances for the side’s under-21s as a player.
    Despite being registered as one of the club’s three over 21s allowed to play for the youth side, his inclusion in the side still took Liverpool fans by surprise as they took on Barrow.
    READ MORE ON FOOTBALL
    The veteran opted to pair himself alongside Trey Nyoni, 16, in the midfield, who recently made his England U-21 debut.
    Liverpool fans online were left confused by Spearing’s decision to include himself in the side, with one writing on X: “Jay Spearing playing in big 2023?”
    Another wrote: “Why is Jay spearing still playing for Liverpool lmao”
    A third wrote: “Jay spearing still at the club” alongside several crying emojis.
    Most read in Football
    FREE BETS – BEST BETTING OFFERS AND BONUSES NEW CUSTOMERS
    And a fourth commented: “I bet Trey Nyoni never thought he’d play with Jay Spearing.”
    Spearing’s inclusion in the XI was justified, however, as the midfielder pulled the strings in the middle of the park.
    The player-coach substitute came off in the 58th minute with the club leading 1-0.
    His withdrawal prompted a late turnaround for Barrow as they went on to win 2-1.
    The EFL Trophy appearance was the midfielder’s first start of the season but he has previously made cameos from the bench, including against former club Blackpool.
    Speaking about playing for the under-21s in his 30s, Spearing told Liverpool’s club website: “Any time I can get out on the pitch, get my boots back on and help the boys out, it’s an absolute pleasure and it’s good fun.
    “It’s fun and that’s part of my role as well to still play – whether that be on the training field or playing for the U21s. It’s been a really enjoyable time so far.” More

  • in

    Arsenal, Fulham and Liverpool ‘send scouts to Copa Libertadores final’ tracking Brazil star with transfer agreement

    ARSENAL and Liverpool sent scouts to watch transfer target Andre Trindade in the Copa Libertadores final, according to reports.The midfielder impressed as he helped Fluminense win their first Copa Libertadores title.
    Andre Trindade is wanted by Liverpool, Arsenal and FulhamCredit: AFP
    The midfielder helped Fluminense win the Copa Libertadores at the weekendCredit: AFP
    Trindade, 22, has been monitored by Premier League clubs for several months but he was keen to stay at Fluminense.
    He wanted to help them win the Copa Libertadores and although he could now leave, Fluminense will not sell before the Club World Cup which takes place next month.
    According to Brazilian outlet Globo, Liverpool, Arsenal and Fulham have all sent scouts to watch Trindade.
    The Reds had a £26million offer for the Brazil international rejected in the summer.
    READ MORE IN FOOTBALL
    It is believed Fluminense want closer to £30m to let Trindade leave.
    That means the interested Prem trio would all be able to afford him, with Fulham and Arsenal potentially in most need of a midfielder.
    Fulham had to reject interest in Joao Palhinha in the summer from West Ham and Bayern Munich.
    Meanwhile, reports claim Thomas Partey has told the Gunners he wants to leave amid interest from Juventus.
    Most read in Football
    CASINO SPECIAL – BEST CASINO WELCOME OFFERS
    However one journalist has claimed Trindade has verbally agreed to join Liverpool.
    The defensive midfielder has amassed a total of four goals and three assists in 161 appearances for Fluminense. More

  • in

    Liverpool to fight Man City for £80m-rated Bundesliga wonderkid as potential transfer replacement for Mo Salah

    LIVERPOOL have joined several top sides in the battle to sign Florian Wirtz, according to reports.The 20-year-old is already a transfer target for the likes of Bayern Munich, Manchester City and Chelsea.
    Florian Wirtz is a target for LiverpoolCredit: Rex
    He could replace Mo Salah should he leave for Saudi ArabiaCredit: Alamy
    And now Liverpool are trying to muscle their way in ahead of a move at the end of the season.
    The Daily Star report that Jurgen Klopp is a huge fan of Wirtz and plans to use his contacts and reputation in Germany to sign his compatriot.
    Liverpool supposedly believe that Wirtz could fill the boots of Mo Salah should he leave Anfield amid interest from Saudi Arabian clubs.
    Wirtz is valued at £80million by Bayer Leverkusen.
    READ MORE IN FOOTBALL
    He is capable of playing anywhere across the front line and has been predominantly used in the No10 role by manager Xabi Alonso.
    Wirtz broke into the Leverkusen team as a teenager when Kai Havertz joined Chelsea in 2020.
    He burst onto the scene and netted five Bundesliga goals before his 18th birthday and then became the youngest player to reach 50 appearance in the league’s history soon after.
    Wirtz then suffered an ACL injury last year and saw his season cut short.
    Most read in Football
    FREE BETS – BEST BETTING OFFERS AND BONUSES NEW CUSTOMERS
    But he has now made a full recovery, scoring six goals and registering nine assists in 15 matches this term.
    He’s also earned 12 caps for Germany in his career.
    Manchester United reportedly had first refusal on him while Ralf Rangnick was at the club but the opportunity is now gone. More