More stories

  • in

    The amazing reason Liverpool summer transfer Wataru Endo wears gumshield during matches

    WATARU ENDO has finally answered the question that’s been on Liverpool fans’ lips since he signed for the club.The Japan international joined the Reds in the summer from German big boys Stuttgart for a fee of £16.2million.
    Liverpool signed Wataru Endo from Stuttgart in the summerCredit: AFP
    The Japan international’s decision to wear a gumshield has bamboozled some Reds fansCredit: REX
    Endo decided to wear it to ensure his pearly whites stay safe and soundCredit: REX
    Kopites have been thrilled with the midfielder’s displays so far this season, in which he’s scored two goals and provided one assist.
    The 30-year-old’s decision to wear a mouthguard has had the chins of the Anfield faithful wagging as much as his performances.
    And he’s revealed he decided to don the protective gear to keep his pearly whites safe and sound after being advised to by a dentist.
    He told Sky Sports: “When I was in Germany, I met a Japanese dentist; he told me, ‘It’’s a good mouthpiece, it makes something different about performance’.
    READ MORE IN FOOTBALL
    “Now I just wear it to protect my teeth and also it looks like a fighter, so when I go into the pitch I just put the mouthpiece on and it’s like game mode.”
    Endo has started Liverpool’s last five matches on the trot and impressed in Liverpool’s midweek thumping of West Ham.
    Manager Jurgen Klopp said of his new signing: “We see him every day in training and he is one of the hardest-working people I ever met.
    “It was always clear that it will be good, but I’m happy obviously for him that the public could see it now as well, because that’s pretty helpful in our job.
    Most read in Football
    FREE BETS – BEST BETTING OFFERS & NEW CUSTOMER BONUSES
    Wataru Endo has impressed Reds boss Jurgen Klopp with his displays this seasonCredit: REX
    “Yeah, it was a really good game [against West Ham].
    “And he gives something different to the team, we have to say, that’s clear. He’s the one for the tackles.
    “We don’t have now 20 players on the pitch who have tackling as a hobby.
    “He is doing it.
    “On top of that, his passing is really good, his awareness is really good, he finds his position better in possession, all these things.
    “It’s football and sometimes it takes a little bit of time but that’s no problem for me.” More

  • in

    Who is Willy Kambwala? Man Utd starlet, 19, makes debut in huge West Ham clash

    WILLY KAMBWALA is STARTING for Manchester United in a crunch clash against West Ham.The giant defender, 19, was also named on the bench for last Sunday’s Premier League visit to fierce rivals Liverpool.
    Willy Kambwala was out injured for 11 months at one stageCredit: Rex
    But who eaxctly is he?
    Who is Willy Kambwala?
    Kambwala was born in the Democratic Republic of the Congo but captained France Under-1
    Liverpool were also linked with the centre-back three years ago.
    However United won the £3.5million race to sign him from Sochaux on transfer deadline day in October 2020.
    READ MORE TOP STORIES
    Kambwala’s French club were devastated to lose their main asset – offering him professional terms to stay.
    But the lure of a Prem giant was always likely to win out.
    And so it proved, as Kambwala switched to Old Trafford and was set to be integrated into United’s junior sides.
    But an injury suffered in a  friendly against Salford kept him out for 11 months.
    Most read in Football
    Kambwala, now 6ft 4ins, returned in September 2021.
    CASINO SPECIAL – BEST CASINO WELCOME OFFERS
    And what a return it was – as his first game back was an 8-2 victory for United’s Under-18s against Birmingham.
    Kambwala signed a pro deal with the Red Devils a month later.
    Just last month, Red Devils’ academy boss Travis Binnion hailed the attitude of Kambwala, plus fellow hot prospects Kobbie Mainoo and Dan Gore.
    After all three played through injury in a match against FC Copenhagen, Binnion said: “Great credit to Kobbie, Willy and Dan, as the sort of senior players today.
    “Dan got niggle and Willy got a sore foot, so for those lads to get through the 90 minutes after struggling with knocks and wanting to play, bodes well.” More

  • in

    Former Arsenal and Liverpool starlet wakes up a free agent after ripping up contract with League One club

    FORMER Premier League star Ovie Ejaria is unemployed after seeing his contract ripped up at Reading.The 26-year-old came to an agreement with the League One club to mutually end his deal ahead of the January transfer window.
    Ovie Ejaria is now a free agentCredit: Getty
    Ejaria has not played this season due to injury problems and managed just eight league games last term.
    His contract was set to end this summer but it has been “amicably” terminated early.
    Reading have been keen to reduce expenditure and they will now save money on his wages.
    Ejaria was tipped for big things as a youngster and was on the books of both Arsenal and Liverpool.
    READ MORE ON ARSENAL
    He made eight senior appearances for the Reds and his debut came in 2016.
    The midfielder was subsequently loaned out to Sunderland, Rangers and Reading.
    He then moved to the Royals permanently for £3.5million in 2020.
    Ejaria also earned one cap for England’s Under-21s back when he was dubbed a wonderkid.
    Most read in Football
    FREE BETS – BEST BETTING OFFERS & NEW CUSTOMER BONUSES
    And he was part of a star-studded Under-20s squad that won the World Cup in 2017, which featured the likes of Dominic Solanke, Fikayo Tomori, Ademola Lookman and Dominic Calvert-Lewin.
    Reading are currently 23rd in League One and are in the midst of a relegation battle. More

  • in

    I tipped Man Utd to win the title and Liverpool to struggle, but Reds have been a different level on and off the field

    FOR years it has been one of THE big games of the season but right now it is a total mismatch.Liverpool may be ten points above Manchester United in the table but off the pitch they are ten years in front.
    Harry Redknapp initially thought Liverpool would struggle in the Premier LeagueCredit: AFP
    This isn’t so much a meeting of two Premier League giants as the perfect example of how to rebuild and recruit — and how not to!
    If you’d told me a few months ago that one of these would be challenging for the title and the other still struggling to find their feet, it wouldn’t have been the biggest shock.
    But I genuinely thought it would be United  in the mix and Liverpool going for the top four at best.
    Come on, you could hardly blame me. United had finished third, won the Carabao Cup and reached the FA Cup final in Erik ten Hag’s first season.
    Read More on Football
    They looked a club on the up  after so many false starts.
    I even tipped them to win the title. As someone who likes a flutter, that will never go down as one of my greatest tips!
    If anyone was going to struggle, you’d have put your money on Liverpool after so many changes and so many new faces.
    Jordan Henderson, James Milner, Fabinho and Roberto Firmino had all left and the ones who came in were hardly household names.
    Most read in Football
    Alexis Mac Allister had won the World Cup, for sure, but Dominik Szoboszlai, Wataru Endo and Ryan Gravenberch?
    Apart from a few TV highlights, I hadn’t seen much of them.
    You know how I’m always banging on about the most important people at the club being those responsible for recruitment?
    Well, the ones at Anfield have earned their money, which is more than you can say about United, who I can’t see laying a glove on their old rivals.
    CASINO SPECIAL – BEST CASINO WELCOME OFFER
    Redknapp initially thought Erik ten Hag’s Manchester United would challenge for the titleCredit: Getty
    For years Michael Edwards was behind it at Liverpool, then Julian Ward and now Jorg Schmadtke, an old mate of Jurgen Klopp’s who arrived in the summer as sporting director.
    I hear boss Klopp is more involved now, too, and they’ve got other good lads in Barry Hunter and Dave Fallows.
    But at Old Trafford, no one seems to know for certain who is in charge of identifying and signing. And it  shows.
    I know from my own experience how difficult a job it is now. It’s not like years ago, when you’d see ten managers at a game trying to find players.
    You’d be ringing others to pick their brains. I remember Sir Alex Ferguson calling about Luka Modric and Paolo Di Canio, but for various reasons he couldn’t get the deals done.
    Nowadays, though, there isn’t the time, and — especially with ones from, say, South America — you’re reliant on the recruitment staff. The ones who always remain faceless.
    Redknapp believes Jurgen Klopp’s advisers played a big part in his Liverpool successCredit: PA
    It’s easy to forget Klopp was keen on Julian Brandt, who he knew from Germany, but his team told him Mohamed Salah  — who they’d followed for four years — was a better bet. That didn’t work out too badly, did it?
    It was the same with Andy Robertson, when he was looking at Benjamin Mendy and Emerson Palmieri.
    See what I mean about how important it is to have the right people advising on recruitment?
    So no wonder Klopp had every confidence Liverpool had found the right men last summer.
    I must say he still had the nucleus in Salah, Virgil van Dijk — someone ignored years ago as “only doing it for Celtic” — and a great keeper in  Alisson. United didn’t and don’t.
    But the wrong signings then would have meant big trouble now.
    Read more on The Sun
    That’s how crucial it is to have the right men doing the recruiting.
    If you still don’t believe me, just ask Ten Hag. More

  • in

    Saudi transfer chief breaks silence on Mo Salah move with Liverpool star sent fresh offer

    MOHAMED SALAH is unlikely to leave Liverpool in January, according to the Saudi Pro League’s director of football.Salah, 31, was heavily linked with a move to Saudi Arabia in the summer.
    Mo Salah is expected to stay at Liverpool in JanuaryCredit: PA
    Al-Ittihad launched a £170million bid for the winger on transfer deadline day, but it was turned down by Liverpool.
    The Saudi side then proposed another last-gasp offer worth over £200m, but the Reds refused to budge.
    Some reports suggested that Saudi Pro League officials were prepared to try again for the winger in January.
    However, director of football Michael Emenalo believes a transfer is unlikely.
    Read More on Football
    He told Sky Sports News: “Mo Salah, like [Lionel] Messi, [Karim] Benzema, [Cristiano] Ronaldo and the likes of Kevin De Bruyne, these are players that when there is a sense of availability for them, we are willing to listen.
    “But we also understand that Mo is happy where he is at present and in a historic, wonderful club at Liverpool. We respect that very much and we don’t want to come across as putting any pressure on him.
    “But if there is any interest to do something, Mo Salah is a player that you want in your league, in any league.
    “We respect Liverpool and in this scenario, the initiative to do anything won’t come from us. There has to be an aligned interest from all parties involved.
    Most read in Football
    FREE BETS – BEST BETTING OFFERS & NEW CUSTOMER BONUSES
    “It’s a very personal thing, as a player that I recruited [for Chelsea] and I like. There’s nothing I’m saying that is new or ground-breaking. If Mo Salah is available, has an interest to come and everything is aligned, I would be incredibly delighted.”
    Salah has 18 months remaining on his current Liverpool contract.
    The winger joined the Reds in 2017 and has since scored 200 goals and provided 87 assists in 327 appearances. More

  • in

    It was impossible to say no to Chelsea… even when Liverpool tried to hijack transfer, reveals Moises Caicedo

    MOISES CAICEDO insists it was “impossible” not to join Chelsea – despite a huge “last moment” offer from Liverpool.Britain’s most expensive player ever has struggled since his £115million summer switch from Brighton.
    Moises Caicedo claims he was always sure he wanted to join ChelseaCredit: Rex
    🗣️ “It was impossible to say no”Moisés Caicedo reveals why he chose to join Chelsea over Liverpool when he left Brighton in the summer 🔹 pic.twitter.com/zmLPVMSWLk— Sky Sports News (@SkySportsNews) December 14, 2023

    Caicedo says his summer departure from Brighton was ‘complicated’Credit: PA
    And Anfield boss Jurgen Klopp has now suggested he was “lucky” the Reds failed with bids for Blues’ summer recruits Caicedo and £58m Romeo Lavia.
    But Caicedo claims Liverpool never stood a chance of signing him anyway.
    The Ecuador anchorman, 22, told Sky Sports: “It was impossible to say not to Chelsea, because they were with me supporting me.
    “In the last moment Liverpool called me but it was [too] late because I wanted to play for Chelsea.”
    READ MORE ON CHELSEA
    However, the 38-cap star also revealed his record move was not without its problems.
    Brighton realised early last summer their top asset was sure to go.
    That sparked a bidding frenzy eventually won by Chelsea.
    But whether the Blues will see the capture of Caicedo as a victory in the long term depends on how dramatically he transforms his fortunes.
    Most read in Football
    FREE BETS – BEST BETTING OFFERS & NEW CUSTOMER BONUSES
    Mauricio Pochettino’s erratic side sit just 12th in the Premier League, with the defensive midfielder in and out of the team.
    A knee problem and international duty have hampered Caicedo.
    But his form has been way below his Brighton level – persuading Pochettino to hold a special meeting with him to talk through any issues.
    Meanwhile, with Liverpool top of the Prem, Klopp felt able to make a cutting jibe this week at Chelsea’s spending woes.
    The German said: “The summer we had a few strange things happen in the transfer market but here, between us, I can say, ‘My God, were we lucky, eh?’
    “We didn’t know that in that moment and it didn’t feel like it in that moment, but yeah, I’m really happy that it worked out, but you never know before.”
    The Reds instead spent £148m in all on Dominik Szoboszlai, Alexis Mac Allister, Ryan Gravenberch and Wataru Endo.
    Klopp added: “We obviously realised that other central defensive midfielders don’t want to join Liverpool.
    “You see what happens, and then we found Endo. He’s an exceptional player.” More

  • in

    Liverpool ‘to recall THREE forgotten stars from loan spells away’ as club freezes out promising forward

    LIVERPOOL are set to recall three players from loan in January, according to reports.Jurgen Klopp will be keen to have as many options available to him as possible with Mo Salah set to miss several matches due to his participation in the Africa Cup of Nations.
    Fabio Carvalho could return after seeing his opportunities limited at RB LeipzigCredit: Getty
    Nat Phillips has made seven appearances for CelticCredit: Kenny Ramsay
    Rhys Williams could end his loan spell at Aberdeen prematurelyCredit: PA
    Liverpool were also dealt a blow earlier this month with the injury to Joel Matip, who is expected to miss the remainder of the season.
    To combat his absence the Reds are planning to recall Rhys Williams from his loan at Aberdeen, report the Daily Mail.
    Williams has failed to make an appearance since joining the Dons but has played for Liverpool 19 times.
    The youngster would be behind Virgil van Dijk, Ibrahima Konate, Joe Gomez and Jarell Quansah in the pecking order, with the Reds also not ruling out signing a centre-back in January.
    READ MORE IN FOOTBALL
    Nat Phillips is another defender who could be brought back to Anfield from his loan spell at Celtic.
    The centre-back has had three loan spells away from the club and has made seven appearances for the Hoops.
    Liverpool could also recall Fabio Carvalho from his uninspiring loan spell at RB Leipzig.
    The youngster was expected to kick on in the Bundesliga but has been limited to just 13 appearances – and only two starts.
    Most read in Football
    CASINO SPECIAL – BEST CASINO WELCOME OFFER
    Carvalho played a more prominent role under Klopp last season, scoring three goals in 21 games for Liverpool.
    Liverpool have a number of targets in mind for January including Middlesbrough youngster Hayden Hackney, who has impressed in midfield this season. More

  • in

    Man Utd ‘joined by City, Spurs and Liverpool in sending scouts to watch England Under-21 wonderkid for 2024 transfer’

    MANCHESTER UNITED must battle THREE other top-six Premier League clubs for Hayden Hackney, according to reports.The England U21’s midfielder will likely leave Middlesbrough in the summer.
    Hayden Hackney is on the radar of both Manchester United and Manchester CityCredit: Rex
    Hackney was called up to the U21 squad in SeptemberCredit: Alamy
    United must fend of interest from Manchester City, Liverpool and Tottenham – who all have their eye on the defensive midfielder.
    The Mail report that talent-spotters were in attendance at Boro matches in recent months, and Spurs are among those most interested.
    Premier League scouts attended his last game away at Bristol City before he picked up a hamstring injury.
    Interestingly, most of those top six clubs have not watched the team during his three game absence.
    READ MORE MAN UTD NEWS
    Both Manchester clubs are monitoring him, with United said to be more keen.
    Hackney’s manager is United legend Michael Carrick, who guided Boro to fourth in the Championship last year.
    The England star signed a new four-year contract in the summer, but there is an acceptance he will snapped up if Boro fail to win promotion to the Premier League.
    United midfielder Casemiro failed to replicate last season’s form before his injury, and Sofyan Amrabat will likely miss out on a permanent move.
    Most read in Football
    FREE BETS – BEST BETTING OFFERS & NEW CUSTOMER BONUSES
    While Liverpool are also interested with Wataru Endo and Thiago Alcantara both in their thirties.
    Hackney has made 16 league appearances this season, and a further four in the EFL Cup.
    He also won five caps for England’s under-21s over the autumn, playing alongside current Liverpool star Harvey Elliott.
    Despite a good start, Middlesbrough have dropped to 12th, losing three of their last five.
    However, the club remain six points away from the playoff spots. More