More stories

  • in

    Bayern Munich urged to save Thiago from Liverpool nightmare by Matthaus as he claims ‘door isn’t completely closed’

    THIAGO has been offered a potential way out from his underwhelming Liverpool stint – with Bayern Munich legend Lothar Matthaus urging him to return to the German giants.
    The midfielder, 29, has been a huge disappointment since his £20million move to Anfield in September, failing to provide the spark Jurgen Klopp’s reigning champions needed.

    Thiago has been urged to return to Bayern Munich by Lothar MatthausCredit: Rex Features

    And despite an improved showing in Tuesday’s 2-0 Champions League win over RB Leipzig, pundits are still pointing to the Spaniard as one of the reasons Liverpool’s title defence has fallen flat.
    However, he still has an army of fans in Germany – and none more so than midfield legend Matthaus.
    The World Cup winner told Sky Germany: “How about Bayern bring Thiago back to Munich? He is not getting on in Liverpool and in Munich he is missed by Hansi Flick and the fans.
    “Anyone who says goodbye to Karl-Heinz Rummenigge so emotionally, the door is certainly never completely closed. ”

    Thiago spent seven seasons in Bavaria – winning the Bundesliga in each of them and turning out 235 times for the club, where he is still remembered fondly.
    BETS OF THE DAY: GET MAN CITY AT 6/1 TO WIN TONIGHT – PLUS RONALDO TO SCORE 2+ GOALS BOOSTED

    He was singled out by then-Bayern boss Pep Guardiola as the one player he wanted to sign on joining the club back in 2013.
    But fast forward to today and his much-vaunted Premier League move has gone awry.

    Former Arsenal boss Arsene Wenger is one of Thiago’s biggest critics, pointing to him blunting the Liverpool midfield’s famed tenacity.
    He said: “Thiago Alcantara, for me, shows a problem for a manager.
    “Liverpool were very hungry and aggressive in midfield, when you’re a manager you think you want to make the team better and you take a technical player.
    “When you take a technical player, you lose the aggression in midfield and you destroy a little bit the strength in midfield that Liverpool had before.

    “They have certainly less capacity today to win the ball back and they suffer a little bit more. Sometimes when you want to improve the team, you take something away from it.”
    And former Reds midfielder Dietmar Hamann added to the chorus questioning Klopp’s move to bring Thiago in.
    He told talkSPORT last month: “He slows things down and doesn’t really play the way Liverpool play.
    “Liverpool in the past have had hard-working midfielders, they were not as skilful as Thiago, but they have the ball to Mane and Salah early.
    “If you get the ball early on the wing, and these guys can run at players they are very hard to stop.”

    Wenger criticises Liverpool over Thiago transfer and says signing of ‘technical’ player has ‘destroyed’ midfield balance More

  • in

    Marseille defender Duje Caleta-Car confirms Liverpool transfer offer before Reds signed Kabak and Davies

    DUJE CALETA-CAR has confirmed that Liverpool were keen to sign him last month but he decided to remain at Marseille.
    The 24-year-old was heavily linked with a move to Anfield as Jurgen Klopp desperately looked to sign a centre-back due to their defensive crisis.

    Marseille ace Duje Caleta-Car has stated he turned down an approach from LiverpoolCredit: AFP or licensors

    Liverpool eventually managed to bring in two centre-halves, though the club first tried in vein to bring the Croatia international to Merseyside.
    Caleta-Car has established himself as one of Ligue 1’s most talented defenders since joining from Red Bull Salzburg in 2018.
    So it came as no surprise when the Premier League champions firmed up their interest with an offer.
    And the four-time Austrian Bundesliga winner has declared it was an ‘honour’ to be chased by Liverpool, though he believed sticking at Marseille would prove key in his development.

    Speaking ahead of Wednesday’s top-flight encounter against Nice, he told reporters: “Today, there is the Champions League, and I am going to watch the two games.
    “I received an offer from Liverpool. It was an honour for me to know that such a club wanted me.
    “We decided with the club that I was going to stay.
    “Marseille is also a great club and I still have a lot of improving to do here.”

    BARCA vs PSG OFFER: GET MESSI AND MBAPPE TO SCORE AT 70/1

    After being turned down by Caleta-Car, Liverpool opted to bring in Ozan Kabak from Schalke on an initial loan deal.
    And they also signed Ben Davies from Preston to fill their centre-back void with Virgil van Dijk, Joe Gomez and Joel Matip all out injured.
    Following Kabak’s mix-up with goalkeeper Alisson in the defeat against Leicester on Saturday, it remains to be seen who will partner Jordan Henderson at the back against RB Leipzig tonight.

    Jurgen Klopp denies rumours he has quit Liverpool after poor run of results and insists he doesn’t need a break More

  • in

    Liverpool ‘plot loan transfer for New York Red Bulls defender Aaron Long’ in last-gasp move to fix defence

    LIVERPOOL are reportedly plotting a last-ditch transfer for New York Red Bulls centre-back Aaron Long to fix their defence.
    Jurgen Klopp is desperate for a new defender after injuries to Virgil van Dijk, Joe Gomez and Joel Matip derailed his season.

    Liverpool are reportedly plotting a loan transfer for New York Red Bulls defender Aaron LongCredit: Getty Images – Getty

    ESPN claim MLS star Long, 28, has caught the German’s eye ahead of a possible loan move.
    Reading have already been linked with the American and it is claimed he has ‘interest from clubs in England and France’.
    Long only made his breakthrough into Red Bulls’ first team in 2017 and was named MLS Defender of the Year the following season.
    He has won 18 caps for the USA and is set to feature against Trinidad and Tobago on Monday.

    Speaking after Liverpool’s 3-1 win over Tottenham, Klopp said: “If you have a centre-half available at a reasonable price, and one with the quality we need, then send me a message.
    FREE BETS: GET OVER £2,000 IN SIGN UP OFFERS HERE

    “We thought [about making signings] and we think the whole time but it’s about doing the right thing. We need to find the right player. It’s incredible what’s happening in the defensive line.”
    Liverpool have also been linked with moves for Kalidou Koulibaly and Dayot Upamecano, although have fallen behind Manchester United in the race for the RB Leipzig star.

    Long would be a much cheaper alternative but ESPN claim Red Bulls have yet to receive any formal offers.

    Jurgen Klopp reacts to Liverpool’s defeat of Tottenham 3-1 in the Premier League More

  • in

    Liverpool ‘prioritise Virgil Van Dijk new deal before moving talks with Mohamed Salah’ amid transfer links away

    LIVERPOOL will reportedly prioritise tying Virgil Van Dijk down with a new deal before holding talks with Mo Salah.
    The reigning Premier League champions are keen to extend crocked centre-back Van Dijk’s contract at Anfield before turning to Salah amid rumours about his future, according to Eurosport.

    Liverpool are prioritising Virgil Van Dijks’s future over Mo SalahCredit: AFP or licensors

    The Dutch talisman, 29, is recovering from an ACL op and is still on the same terms as when he joined the club for £75million from Southampton in 2018.
    The report states it was always in Liverpool’s plan to offer him a bumper new deal this season.
    And some even suggest an agreement in principle was in place before Van Dijk’s injury.
    The former Celtic defender was KO’d by Jordan Pickford’s horror lunge in October.

    His new contract is likely to see him eclipse Salah as the Merseysiders’ highest-paid player on considerbaly more than £200,000 a week.
    Salah’s existing deal runs until 2023 and with no solid or formal offers on the table from other clubs, Liverpool aren’t thought to be too concerned about rapidly opening negotiations with their star forward.
    The club won’t be rushed into handing the Egyptian King a new deal despite reported interest from El Clasico sides Barcelona and Real Madrid.
    Salah is in the middle of a slump in form – the former Roma man has gone FIVE Prem games without a goal but is still the league’s top scorer with 13 strikes.

    FREE BETS: GET OVER £2,000 IN SIGN UP OFFERS HERE

    Salah is going through a goal drought for the RedsCredit: EPA

    And the 28-year-old insisted his Liverpool future is ‘in the hands of the club’ earlier this week.
    Speaking to Norwegian channel TV2, Salah said: “I do not know.
    “If you ask, I say I want to stay here as long as I can, but as I have said before, it is in the hands of the club.
    “I will always give 100 per cent to the last minute I am in this club and I want to win as many trophies as I can.
    “And I want to give 100 per cent to the people, who show me love all the time.”

    Liverpool vs Man Utd combined XI: Salah and Bruno Fernandes make joint side but Pogba misses out ahead of clash More

  • in

    Virgil van Dijk ‘stronger than ever’ as star gives Liverpool major boost as he starts ball work during rehab in Dubai

    VIRGIL VAN DIJK has given Jurgen Klopp a major boost after he was spotted kicking a ball for the first time since suffering a serious knee injury.
    The Liverpool defender has not featured since rupturing his ACL against Everton in October.

    Virgil van Dijk is training at the NAS Sports Complex in Dubai alongside former Liverpool team-mate Dejan LovrenCredit: Instagram @dejanlovren06

    The 29-year-old was seen at the NAS Sports Complex in Dubai where many Premier League footballers train during the off-season.
    Van Dijk shared a video on his Instagram page of him doing some kick ups – a sight that will please Liverpool fans.
    There had been fears the Dutch captain would not play again this season due the severity of the injury.
    But sights of him starting ball work with half the season still to play will give Klopp hope of him featuring in the run-in.

    The Liverpool manager has been without several centre-backs this season, with Joel Matip and Joe Gomez also suffering injuries.
    Matip has returned to training, but Gomez is due to be out for some time yet as he continues to recover from a serious knee injury.
    Klopp has been forced to deploy midfielder Fabinho at the back for much of the season – and skipper Jordan Henderson has even featured there.
    The pair started in defence in the massive clash with rivals Manchester United on Sunday.

    LIVERPOOL VS MAN UTD: GET 40/1 ON A PENALTY FOR EITHER TEAM

    How Virgil van Dijk compares to the rest of the PL’s defenders
    The effect has been obvious, with Liverpool dropping points against Southampton, Newcastle and West Brom in recent weeks.
    The Reds have been linked with a move for Napoli defender Kalidou Kouilbaly but must offer at least £100m if they wish to sign him.
    Former Liverpool defender Dejan Lovren, who was sold to Russian side Zenit Saint Petersburg in the summer before the injury crisis, is also at the complex in Dubai.
    He shared a picture with van Dijk on Twitter, with the caption: “It was nice to see my former teammate @VirgilvDijk today. A tough injury he had, but he looks stronger than ever, soon brother you will be top of your level again.”

    It was nice to see my former teammate @VirgilvDijk today.A tough injury he had, but he looks stronger than ever, soon brother you will be on top of your level again.Good luck to @LFC in today’s derby. We are with you! 💪🏻💪🏻 pic.twitter.com/fRhtb2z41j
    — Dejan Lovren (@Dejan06Lovren) January 17, 2021

    Van Dijk responded to the Tweet with a red heart emoji.
    Referee Michael Oliver controversially did not send off Jordan Pickford for the reckless challenge on van Dijk that caused the injury in the Merseyside derby.
    Oliver has since admitted that he was wrong not to dismiss the Everton goalkeeper.

    Virgil van Dijk rides exercise bike in Liverpool boost as he steps up recovery from horror knee injury More

  • in

    Bayern eye Real Madrid defender Eder Militao as transfer replacement for David Alaba but face competition from England

    BAYERN MUNICH are considering a move for Real Madrid defender Eder Militao, according to reports.
    The Bundesliga champions are looking to replace David Alaba, who is reportedly on the verge of a move to Real Madrid.

    Eder Militao, 22, has struggled to hold down a place at Real Madrid since joining from Porto in 2019

    Alaba is out of contract at Bayern this summer, with Liverpool and Juventus also rumoured to be interested.
    It is believed he will not sign a new deal with the reigning European champions.
    Bayern are not the only club to have made an enquiry about Militao, with Juventus, Borussia Dortmund and Tottenham all interested, according to Goal.
    The defender is also believed to be on Liverpool’s radar, although it is unlikely they will be signing a defender in January due to the pandemic.

    FANCY A PUNT? TODAY’S BEST ODDS BOOSTS FROM THE UK’S LEADING BOOKIES

    Ramos is one of Real Madrid’s top earners but is demanding more to stay on for a further two years, claim reports
    The 22-year-old joined Real at the beginning of last season but has made just 23 appearances in all competitions.
    He was overlooked for their recent Super Cup loss to Athletic Bilbao, with Nacho replacing the injured Raphael Varane.
    Militao was part of the Brazil squad that won the Copa America in 2019 and has previously played for Sao Paulo and Porto.

    The defender remains in Brazil boss Tite’s plans but was left out of the squad for the latest round of World Cup qualifiers.
    He does want to remain at Real and fight for his place, although he may change his mind if he is being left out of the Brazil squad.
    If he does leave, Real will want to recoup the majority of the €50 million they paid for the player in 2019.

    Bayern Munich star Robert Lewandowski delighted with FIFA award after outstanding year More

  • in

    Liverpool suffer Sven Botman transfer blow with Lille ‘desperate to keep’ £40m-rated defender until at least the summer

    LILLE defender Sven Botman is reportedly unlikely to join Liverpool this month.
    The Reds are interested in signing a centre-back after Virgil van Dijk suffered a serious knee injury in October.

    Lille are unlikely to sell Sven Botman in this month’s transfer window amid links to LiverpoolCredit: AP:Associated Press

    Netherlands Under-20 international Botman has been linked with a move to Anfield.
    But Liverpool have not made contact with Lille, according to ESPN.
    The French club are reportedly eager to retain his services until the end of the season.
    It is claimed only an offer in the region of £40million would tempt Lille into selling.

    Botman has cut an impressive figure for Lille following last summer’s transfer from Ajax.
    LIVERPOOL VS MAN UTD: GET 40/1 ON A PENALTY FOR EITHER TEAM

    How Liverpool have fared with and without Van Dijk since his debut in 2018 up to his injury against Everton
    The 20-year-old has been a regular at the back for the Ligue 1 title hopefuls, making 25 appearances in all competitions.
    Liverpool’s season has been disrupted by injuries to defenders.

    Van Dijk has been out of action since suffering a cruciate knee ligament injury against Everton in the Merseyside derby.
    Joe Gomez is expected to miss the bulk of the campaign after undergoing surgery on a tendon in his left knee in November.

    Liverpool’s other senior defender, Joel Matip, picked up a groin injury in last month’s 1-1 draw with West Brom.
    But there was some good news for Jurgen Klopp before Manchester United’s visit to Anfield as Matip returned to training.
    Speaking at his pre-match press conference, Klopp said: “To bring him [in], I don’t know. We have to see, we have to decide, we have to look at him and how he will train, how he looks in training and these kind of things, but we have still different solutions.”

    Liverpool vs Man Utd combined XI: Salah and Bruno Fernandes make joint side but Pogba misses out ahead of Prem clash More

  • in

    Jurgen Klopp admits Liverpool signing centre-back in transfer window ‘unlikely’ due to Covid-19 despite injury crisis

    JURGEN KLOPP admitted it is ‘unlikely’ Liverpool will sign a centre-back this month, despite the injury crisis at the heart of his defence.
    The Reds are without first-choice pairing Virgil van Dijk and Joe Gomez due to long-term injuries and stand-ins Fabinho and Joel Matip have struggled for form and fitness.

    Jurgen Klopp said it is ‘unlikely’ Liverpool will sign a centre-back in January despite their injury woesCredit: PA:Press Association

    The Kop boss insisted he would ideally like to recruit but the financial impact of Covid-19 means any move in the current transfer window looks to be off the cards.
    Klopp said: “I cannot say definitely we will not bring anyone in, it’s just not likely because of the situation in the world.
    “We should not forget that the situation is a tough one for all people and for football clubs as well.
    “There might be some clubs with absolutely no financial problems.

    “But this club always was – and will always be with these owners – just very responsible with the things we do.”
    Ex-Liverpool man Jamie Carragher said it was ‘paramount’ his former side bring in a centre-back in January and ‘inconceivable’ for them not to.
    Otherwise, it could be down to youngsters Rhys Williams and Nathanial Phillips to operate in defence together – although Fabinho has filled in sublimely so far, especially with Matip currently out injured.
    FREE BETS: GET OVER £2,000 IN SIGN UP OFFERS HERE

    With Van Dijk and Gomez expected to be out for most of the remainder of the season, Liverpool know they would be charged a premium by any selling club this January.
    The Premier League champions have been linked with a number of centre-backs since the major injuries.
    Brighton ace Ben White, Ozan Kabak of Schalke and Atalanta man Roger Ibanez were all thought to be targets.
    David Alaba was another name mentioned but he looks set to join Real Madrid on a free transfer from Bayern Munich at the end of the season.
    Klopp continued: “If the world would be in a ‘normal’ place, everything would be fine.
    “We won the league, won the Champions League, the club is in the best possible situation and then you have three senior centre-halves plus Fabinho plus kids, and the three senior centre-halves are all injured – is that a situation where usually we would do something? Yes, definitely.
    “But we are not in that situation so I don’t know if something will happen or not.
    “What I said about it, you maybe could do something but it would be a short-term solution – and we don’t have that short-term solution – but that’s not right because it doesn’t help really.
    “Then we have to deal with the situation how we did it so far and have to get through this. It’s not the best moment for the whole planet, so why should it be for a football club?”

    Virgil van Dijk is set to miss the remainder of the season following his ACL injury against EvertonCredit: PA:Press Association

    Liverpool boast the most-valuable squad in the Premier League

    Virgil van Dijk rides exercise bike in Liverpool boost as he steps up recovery from horror knee injury More