More stories

  • in

    Everton set for £15m transfer battle with Leeds for Wolves striker Hwang Hee-chan if Ben Brereton Diaz deal fails

    EVERTON will join the chase for Wolves’ South Korean striker Hwang Hee-chan if they fail to agree a fee for Ben Brereton Diaz.The Toffees are yet to meet Blackburn’s £15million valuation of Chile striker Brereton Diaz.
    Wolves striker Hwang Hee-chan could be set for a Molineux exit before the transfer window closesCredit: Getty
    Goodison transfer guru Kevin Thelwell is a big fan of Hwang, who is available for around £15m and also fancied by Leeds United.
    Leeds may sell winger Dan James to Tottenham to finance a move for a forward but Spurs have only offered a loan so far.
    Whites boss Jesse Marsch worked with the 26-year-old at Red Bull Salzburg and RB Leipzig.
    Hwang only joined Wolves last year on an initial loan deal, before the Midlands outfit turned his temporary stay into a permanent switch earlier this year.
    READ MORE IN FOOTBALL
    The 47-cap international scored five Premier League goals during the 2021-22 campaign from his 30 outings.
    But he is yet to find the back of this net this term despite featuring in all four of the club’s matches in the top-flight and Carabao Cup.
    Wolves boss Bruno Lage has commented on the forward’s future ahead of Sunday’s clash against Newcastle.
    He said: “I’m very happy with him and I like him a lot.”
    Most read in football
    FREE BETS AND SIGN UP DEALS – BEST NEW CUSTOMER OFFERS
    Before adding: “Hwang spends a lot of time in the academy like other players and he wants to be in his best shape all the time, and do everything he can to play.
    “So we’re talking about a great professional, a great kid, a top player and someone who scored six (five) important goals for us last season.
    “Who wouldn’t want a player like him? I want him, I like him, but in the end we need to understand the market and the situation of the club.
    “So we are looking for players from other teams, and we need to expect other teams are looking at our players also.
    “He can play as a winger – especially on the left – and as a striker, like he’s done in the first few games.” More

  • in

    Frank Lampard tells Chelsea that Anthony Gordon is worth over £100MILLION as Everton starlet pushes for Blues transfer

    EVERTON boss Frank Lampard claims Anthony Gordon is worth over £100million amid transfer interest from Chelsea.Gordon, 21, has been heavily linked with a move away from Goodison Park this summer.
    Gordon has been linked with a move to ChelseaCredit: Getty
    Lampard claims the winger is worth at least £100mCredit: Getty
    Chelsea have been pushing to sign him, but Everton have already knocked back four offers.
    And now, Lampard has insisted that the winger is in the same bracket as players worth over £100m.
    On Friday, he told Sky Sports: “He is our player and remains so, he is in the squad for tomorrow.
    “He is a huge player for us, I said it last week, not only is he of great value to the club financially, but more importantly of great value to the squad and to me.
    Read More in Football
    “They haven’t bid £60m so let’s not talk about a number that’s not there.
    “I can’t put a number on his value to the club. I’ve been fortunate enough to work with fantastic young players at Derby and Chelsea, seen them develop and become England internationals and Champions League winners, worth triple figures (£100m+) in terms of their personal values.

    “Anthony is in that bracket, he’s been a pleasure to work with and he’s ours. He’s an Everton boy, he plays for us and the crowd relate to him.
    “It’s understandable that people would be interested in him because of the level of player that he is. The facts remain the same.”
    Most read in Football
    FREE BETS AND SIGN UP DEALS – BEST NEW CUSTOMER OFFERS
    Everton chiefs are eager to keep Gordon at the club for at least one more year.
    However, they may be forced into a sale as the winger has made it clear that he wants to leave.
    Gordon wants to play in the Champions League as he believes it will help him break into Gareth Southgate’s England squad ahead of this year’s Qatar World Cup.
    He dropped a huge transfer hint earlier this week suggesting that a move could be on the cards.
    Fans were quick to notice that he had removed all Everton links from his Instagram bio.
    The Toffees will travel to the Gtech Community Stadium on Saturday to take on Brentford.
    Lampard will be hoping his side can claim their first win of the Premier League season. More

  • in

    How Everton could line up after transfer window with no Dele Alli or Anthony Gordon but three new signings

    FRANK LAMPARD’S Everton side could boast a very different look after the transfer window.The Toffees have endured a rough start to the new Premier League campaign with two defeats and a draw so far.
    Frank Lampard has a tough task keeping Everton in the Premier LeagueCredit: Reuters

    Miguel Almiron has finally hit some decent form at NewcastleCredit: Getty
    That sees the Merseysiders, who only narrowly avoided the drop last term, sit 17th – above the relegation zone because they have scored one more than Wolves.
    Things have not been helped by the injury to main striker Dominic Calvert-Lewin leaving Lampard short of strikers.
    So now the Goodison club are desperately scrambling to secure some business in the closing days of the summer – with the window closing on September 1.
    In order to fund new deals, the sale of Anthony Gordon to Chelsea could prove key.
    READ MORE FOOTBALL STORIES
    The Blues are set to go in with yet another bid – thought to be around £60million – for the winger, who has told his boyhood club he wants to leave.
    Also heading through the exit door is Dele Alli.
    The former Spurs man has failed to get his career reignited in the north-west and a move to Turkey with Besiktas looks set to get over the line.
    That would free up space and cash for Everton to bolster their squad.
    Most read in Football
    Newcastle ace Miguel Almiron is said to be near the top of the Toffees’ wishlist.
    The Toon could be tempted to sell the former club-record signing for the right place as the Paraguayan has struggled to light up St James’ as many hoped following his £20m 2019 arrival from Atalanta United.
    Almiron, 28, could play as one of the wide players in the attack of Lampard’s 4-3-3 with Joao Pedro on the other side.
    The Watford ace has been linked with Newcastle throughout the window.
    However, a deal is yet to be done between the two clubs and Everton could hijack the move in their pursuit of a forward.
    Pedro, 20, can play out wide or through the middle as the central striker.
    FREE BETS AND SIGN UP DEALS – BEST NEW CUSTOMER OFFERS
    However, the No9 spot could be filled by Armando Broja, 20, in Calvert-Lewin’s absence.
    It is thought Everton will try and negotiate a player-plus-cash transfer with Chelsea for Gordon.
    And out-of-favour striker Broja – who excelled at Southampton last season – could be a suitable option.
    Another name linked with being included in the Gordon deal is Conor Gallagher.
    However, Thomas Tuchel has used the 22-year-old midfielder in all three games already this season so could be tempted to keep him – although there is also interest from West Ham, Newcastle and Crystal Palace.
    Almiron and Pedro could displace in-form Demarai Gray and new-boy Dwight McNeil out wide with Broja preferred to Salomon Rondon.
    Alex Iwobi has been a standout player for Everton of late and is sure to keep his place in midfield, even with the possible arrival of Gallagher.
    Should the Chelsea star not join, though, big-money signing Amadou Onana will be hopeful of nailing down a starting spot soon.
    Read More on The Sun
    The wing-backs, Nathan Patterson and Vitaliy Mykolenko, are safe – as is goalkeeper Jordan Pickford.
    The new back three is currently Mason Holgate, Conor Coady and James Tarkowski and could remain that way for the foreseeable future, especially with Ben Godfrey’s long-term absence.
    Anthony Gordon could leave for Chelsea in a £60m transferCredit: Getty
    Everton may land Armando Broja as part of the Gordon dealCredit: Getty
    Conor Gallagher is another player who could be used insteadCredit: Getty
    Joao Pedro is a target for Newcastle but Everton have joined the raceCredit: PA More

  • in

    Chelsea target Anthony Gordon REMOVES Everton links on Instagram bio as £50m-rated winger drops cryptic transfer hint

    EAGLE-EYED fans have noticed Anthony Gordon take Everton out of his Instagram bio amid transfer interest from Chelsea. The Blues are believed to have had two bids in the region of £40million and £45m rejected.
    Anthony Gordon is linked with a move to ChelseaCredit: Getty
    Both Everton and Chelsea fans on social media pointed out the lack of Everton links in Gordon’s Instagram bio.
    Frank Lampard’s side are determined to hold on to their prized player and insisted they will not welcome any more bids.
    Everton have already waved away verbal offers from both Tottenham and Newcastle.
    Gordon, 21, who has three years left on his current contract, had indicated he was prepared to move to London to play for either Spurs or Chelsea.
    READ MORE IN FOOTBALL
    Everton are determined to give him another new contract but for the time being at least, Gordon has indicated he will run the contract down.
    Chelsea legend Lampard is determined to keep Gordon, especially after the club sold Richarlison to Spurs for £60m.
    And they have also been without Dominic Calvert-Lewin for the opening two games of the campaign after he suffered an injury.
    SunSport revealed Everton have sent scouts to watch Dutch winger Cody Gakpo.
    Most read in Football
    CASINO SPECIAL – BEST NEW CUSTOMER SIGN UP DEALS
    PSV may sell Gakpo if they are beaten by Rangers in Wednesday’s Champions League qualifier return leg and miss out on the group stage money.
    The Dutch international has been linked with Manchester United.
    But Everton may be a more realistic destination for the player who has a lot of similarities to Richarlison.
    Everton boss Frank Lampard with Anthony GordonCredit: Reuters More

  • in

    Frank Lampard sends scouts to watch PSV winger Cody Gakpo as Everton line up transfer swoop for Man Utd target

    EVERTON have an eye on flying Dutch winger Cody Gakpo in the hope he comes on the market.Boss Frank Lampard sent spy Steve Davis to watch Gakpo, 23, dazzle for PSV Eindhoven in the Champions League qualifier last week when they drew 2-2 with Rangers.
    Gakpo is being linked with a move to the Premier League this summerCredit: Getty
    PSV may sell Gakpo if they are beaten by the Scottish giants in Wednesday’s return leg and miss out on the group stage money.
    The Dutch international has been linked with Manchester United.
    But Everton may be a more realistic destination for the player who has a lot of similarities to ex-Toffee Richarlison.
    He has made 141 appearances for the Eredivisie outfit, scoring 45 goals.
    READ MORE IN FOOTBALL
    And he has also contributed an impressive 37 assists during his five seasons in the first team.
    Everton are keen to land the young, exciting forward but face stiff competition from Erik ten Hag’s United.
    The Red Devils are looking to bolster their squad after a disastrous start to their Premier League campaign.
    United have lost both of their opening matches to Brighton and Brentford.
    Most read in English Premier League
    FREE BETS AND SIGN UP DEALS – BEST NEW CUSTOMER OFFERS
    But Everton are also struggling – with their draw against Nottingham Forest making it just one point from three matches for Lampard’s side.
    The Toffees have also been linked with a number of other targets as clubs enter the final two weeks of the summer window.
    Former United youngster Adnan Januzai, Coventry City striker Viktor Gyokeres and Brighton forward Neal Maupay have all been reported as possible acquisitions. More

  • in

    David Marsh dead at 88: Tributes flood in after former Everton chairman and amateur golfer passes away

    FORMER Everton chairman David Marsh has died aged 88.Current Toffees’ supremo Bill Kenwright saluted the club stalwart, who was also one of England’s top amateur golfers, as “my hero”.
    Apart from being Everton chairman for six years, David Marsh was also one of England’s leading Amateur golfersCredit: Getty
    The Toffees announced the sad news of the death of David Marsh, who was their chairman when the Premier League started in 1992Credit: EVERTON.COM
    Dr Marsh MBE was a Toffees’ director from 1988-1997, the last six years as chairman.
    And Kenwright paid tribute on the club’s website, as other glowing messages came in.
    He said: “David was my Chairman, my supporter, my friend…and in many ways my hero.   
    “It’s been my privilege to meet several lovely people throughout my life – David Marsh was a beautiful man.”
    READ MORE IN SPORT
    He also revealed a poignant exchange two weeks ago with Dr Marsh.
    Kenwright said: “Almost the last words he said to me at the Chelsea game were, ‘I worry about you Bill, you have to take some rest’.
    “I laughed and replied … ‘I want to be like you. You’re the healthiest near 90-year-old I’ve ever met’.  
    “We gave our customary goodbye hugs at the end of the game and, as always, he tried to cheer me up with something positive after a defeat. He was that kind of man, caring, sharing and an Evertonian.  
    Most read in Football
    “He loved our club as he did his family and his beloved wife Katy.” 
    Dr Marsh had also been one of Britain’s most successful amateur golfers, playing 75 times for England.
    In 1971 he helped Great Britain and Ireland famously end 33 years of failing to beat the US in the Walker Cup with only their second victory ever.
    The two-time skipper in that event also won The English Amateur Championship twice.
    In 1990 Dr Marsh became captain of the world-famous Royal & Ancient Golf Club of St Andrew’s. 
    And it was his outstanding contribution to amateur golf that won him an MBE. More

  • in

    ‘It’s a big gamble’ – Graeme Souness questions Chelsea’s £50m transfer pursuit of Everton star Anthony Gordon

    GRAEME SOUNESS labelled Chelsea’s pursuit of Anthony Gordon as a “gamble”.The Blues saw bids of £40million and £45m rejected by Everton.
    Anthony Gordon could be on his way to Chelsea this summerCredit: Getty
    But they look set to go back in for a third time and hope a £50m offer will tempt the Toffees to sell the 21-year-old.
    However, former Liverpool hero Souness is far from convinced about the England Under-21 winger.
    He told talkSPORT: “It is a hell of a lot of money for a 21-year-old who’s played 50+ games.
    “I think the young man is promising.
    READ MORE CHELSEA STORIES
    “But to spend £40m on someone who might not be a player is a big gamble.
    “I think Chelsea’s needs are in another area.
    “Chelsea need a goalscorer through the middle to put them away for fun.”
    Gordon joined the academy aged 11 following his release by Liverpool.
    Most read in Football
    FREE BETS AND SIGN UP DEALS – BEST NEW CUSTOMER OFFERS
    He made his first-team debut way back in December 2017 and has now racked up 60 appearances for the Goodison club.
    All four of his senior goals came in last season’s Premier League campaign – including the winner in the 1-0 victory over Manchester United.
    He has started the new campaign playing up front under Frank Lampard due to Dominic Calvert-Lewin’s injury.
    Similarly, Raheem Sterling – traditionally a winger – has led the line for Chelsea, supported by Kai Havertz and Mason Mount.

    The Blues also have Hakim Ziyech, Christian Pulisic, Callum Hudson-Odoi, Armando Broja and Michy Batshuayi on the books at Stamford Bridge.
    Romelu Lukaku, though, was loaned to Inter Milan while Timo Werner returned to RB Leipzig.
    Their three goals this season have been scored by a Jorginho penalty and defenders Kalidou Koulibaly and Reece James.
    Graeme Souness reckons Chelsea should target a striker as their primary focusCredit: Getty More

  • in

    Dele Alli set to complete Besiktas loan transfer ‘within hours’ with Everton midfielder having £6m option to buy in deal

    DELE ALLI is set to complete his loan move to Besiktas within hours, according to reports. The Everton midfielder, 26, only arrived at Goodison from Tottenham in January hoping to revive his career.
    Dele Alli is close to signing a season-long loan deal at BesiktasCredit: Getty
    However, he has started just once under Frank Lampard and has slipped further down the pecking order following the arrival of Amadou Onana.
    And now it is understood the former England star is closing in on a move abroad for the first time.
    It was reported earlier in the week Besiktas were interested in landing Dele on loan for the season.
    Now Foot Mercato state a deal is virtually done with a £6million option to make the switch permanent.
    READ MORE TRANSFER STORIES
    Dele is said to be “very keen” on the change of scene in Turkey and the chance to return to the kind of form that saw him crowned the two-time PFA Young Player of the Year and earn 36 caps.
    He has had little effect at Everton and is yet to register a goal or assist in 13 appearances.
    Just 38 minutes of action across the first two Premier League matches of the new campaign has compounded the Englishman’s frustrations at his lack of game time.
    It was reported earlier this month that Lampard was considering putting Alli into the team while Dominic Calvert-Lewin is sidelined with an injury.
    Most read in Football
    FREE BETS AND SIGN UP DEALS – BEST NEW CUSTOMER OFFERS
    Everton have lost their opening two games of the season to Chelsea and Aston Villa.
    Winger Anthony Gordon led the line in both of those matches, with no recognised striker up front.
    But Gordon may also be unavailable for this weekend’s clash with Nottingham Forest as Chelsea attempt to close a deal for the 21-year-old. More