More stories

  • in

    Wrexham manager branded ‘Gordon Ramsay of the football world’ after astonishing X-rated changing room rant

    WREXHAM manager Phil Parkinson has been likened to Gordon Ramsey following an x-rated dressing room rant.A segment from a recent episode of Welcome to Wrexham was shown on last week’s episode of hit Channel 4 show Gogglebox.
    Wrexham boss Phil Parkinson went viral for his rant on Welcome to Wrexham, which was shown on GoggleboxCredit: Rex
    In the clip, Parkinson gave a passionate team talk and repeatedly dropped the F-bomb.
    He said: “I mean you’ve been f***ing brilliant!
    “And you’ve f***ing played some great f***ing football, and you’ve played with some f***ing composure on the f***ing ball.
    “F***ing keep going with that f***ing composure!”
    Read More on Football
    The stars of Gogglebox were left stunned, with Pete Staniford joking: “He’s the Gordan Ramsay of the footballing world!”
    Another star said: “Nah! You’ve got give them more. I’d be like ‘get the f*** out there!”
    Celebrity chef Ramsay is renown for his x-rated rants in the kitchen so football fans loved the comparison.
    One person took to X to write: “F***ing well said!”
    Most read in Football
    FREE BETS – BEST BETTING OFFERS AND BONUSES NEW CUSTOMERS
    Another commented: “Iconic.”
    While a third said: “Actually think I preferred watching Welcome to Wrexham on Gogglebox tonight than the actual episode. What a show 😂.”
    Welcome to Wrexham is a documentary series on Disney+ that follows League Two side Wrexham.
    The Welsh side is owned and run by Hollywood superstars Rob McElhenney and Ryan Reynolds. More

  • in

    Premier League cult hero, 42, handed shock EFL manager role as he looks to help club avoid relegation

    FORMER Premier League star Matthew Etherington has been named interim boss of the second-worst club in the Football League.The ex-Tottenham and West Ham winger, 42, will take charge of Colchester United for their League Two clash at Grimsby Town tomorrow.
    Matthew Etherington starred for West Ham in the Premier LeagueCredit: PA:Press Association
    He has now taken charge of League Two strugglers Colchester UnitedCredit: Getty
    The U’s sacked Ben Garner after they were beaten 2-1 at home by Harrogate Town on Saturday – their fourth-straight loss.
    That result left them 23rd in the fourth tier and just three points above Sutton United at the bottom.
    Etherington, who was appointed Under-21 lead coach at Colchester in June, will be assisted by assistant head coach Scott Marshall and first-team coach Dave Huzzey while the club decide on a permanent replacement for Garner.
    Etherington hit the headlines in December when he was sacked by Crawley Town after just three games in his first managerial job.
    READ MORE FOOTBALL NEWS
    He named former Peterborough and Tottenham teammate Simon Davies as his assistant on November 27, 2022 and went on to beat Swindon Town 2-0 in his opening match.
    A 2-0 home defeat to Hartlepool followed on December 9 before another setback on home turf followed on Boxing Day as they were downed 2-1 by Sutton before he was axed.
    Etherington retired from playing in 2014 after an impressive playing career with Peterborough, Spurs, Bradford, West Ham and Stoke City.
    The ex-England U21 winger battled a gambling addiction while at the Hammers, with the club lending him £300,000, after he accumulated huge debts.
    Most read in EFL
    Etherington also spent time at Tony Adams’ Sporting Chance Clinic.
    He began his coaching career in charge of Peterborough’s U18s in 2018. Etherington was then promoted to assistant manager of the first-team in November 2021.
    He even had a one-game foray as interim boss before returning to his No.2 position under Grant McCann before then taking the leap and making his ill-fated switch to Crawley. More

  • in

    Notts County keeper hit in head by ‘vape’ and left bleeding at Gillingham clash as police launch investigation

    POLICE are investigating after Notts County goalkeeper Sam Slocombe was left with a cut head after being struck by an object thrown by a yob in the crowd.The Magpies impressed to claim the points — but the gripping contest was marred by the late drama which left their shot-stopper needing medical attention from the club’s physio.
    Notts County goalkeeper Sam Slocombe was struck by an object thrown from the crowd at PriestfieldCredit: AHPIX.com
    Slocombe, 35, carried on after a brief delay and Gillingham issued an appeal to find the moron.
    Gills’ director of operations Joe Comper admitted: “Once again, we find ourselves investigating an incident which reflects poorly on the football club and will likely land us in trouble with the authorities.
    “Quite clearly, any right-minded person can understand that this is not acceptable and it won’t be accepted at Priestfield.
    “We are working closely with Kent Police to identify the culprit or culprits, in order for us to impose any necessary bans, as well as pursuing criminal prosecutions.
    READ MORE IN FOOTBALL
    “You are passionate, loyal and devoted to the team and those that represent your shirt.
    “It is a shame that the actions of a very small minority risk damaging your club in the form of heavy fines and potentially points deductions.”
    The incident spoilt an otherwise enjoyable League Two contest in which forward Macaulay Langstaff’s 38th-minute strike fired the visitors ahead.
    Scott Malone levelled on 57 minutes after Langstaff had been denied a second, before substitute Lewis Macari’s stunner — on his debut — won it for the visitors 12 minutes from time.
    Most read in Football
    But Slocombe’s injury left Magpies boss Luke Williams wanting answers.
    Williams said: “It’s a shame because in general the atmosphere was brilliant. This is just one person making a really terrible decision.
    “Unfortunately something was thrown, I think it was a vape, and hit him on the back of the head and he has a cut.
    “It’s upsetting, anyone who has met him wouldn’t want to throw anything at him, he’s a great guy and I don’t think he’s done anything to wind anyone up or anything like that.”
    Langstaff notched his ninth goal of the campaign as he turned home Tobi Adebayo’s pin-point 38th-minute cross.
    Malone then found the bottom corner with a well-taken strike for caretaker boss Keith Millen, before Jake Turner produced a good save to keep out Jodi Jones’ drive.
    But there was nothing the keeper could do to stop Macari’s rocket.
    Gills defender Max Clark was “gutted” and admitted: “It’s a tough one to take because they weren’t causing us many problems.
    “We were a different team in the second half but they stood strong.”
    Lewis Macari scored a stunning winner on his EFL debutCredit: Rex More

  • in

    Man Utd legend’s grandson scores screamer on debut for EFL club to win match sparking wild scenes in stands

    LEWIS MACARI followed in the footsteps of his famous grandad to score a screamer on his EFL debut – winning the game and sparking wild scenes.The 21-year-old is on the books of Stoke, having come through the Potters’ academy.
    Lewis Macari scored a belter on his debut in the EFL for Notts CountyCredit: Rex
    Macari let fly from outside the areaCredit: Twitter / @SkyBetLeagueTwo

    But after loans at non-league Market Drayton Town and Dundalk, he has now joined Notts County in League Two.
    And he delivered the goods on his senior debut for the Magpies.
    After replacing Richard Brindley as an early sub away at Gillingham on Saturday, Macari decided the game with a superb strike 12 minutes from time.
    The right-back latched on to a pass just outside the area and thundered the ball into the top corner, giving the goalkeeper no chance.
    READ MORE ON MAN UTD
    That put County 2-1 up at Priestfield and prompted huge celebrations among the players and travelling fans as Luke Williams’ men clinched all three points.
    The result keeps Notts County’s promotion charge in full swing, with the newly-promoted side second after 14 games, two points adrift of leaders Stockport.
    Macari has no shortage of sporting pedigree.
    The youngster’s dad Paul was a professional footballer and uncle Mike was at Stoke.
    Most read in Football
    FREE BETS – BEST BETTING OFFERS AND BONUSES NEW CUSTOMERS
    But it is grandad Lou who enjoyed the most success in the game.
    The former midfielder starred for Celtic and Swindon either side of 11 years at Manchester United.
    The 24-cap Scotland international arrived at Old Trafford for £200,000 in 1973.
    He racked up 97 goals in 404 appearances for the Red Devils and won the FA Cup and Second Division.
    Macari Sr went on to have seven managerial jobs, including a spell at Celtic sandwiched by two stints with Stoke in the 1990s.
    Away from football, he also set up a homeless shelter after being inspired to help people sleeping rough in the winter.
    The ball flew into the top cornerCredit: Twitter / @SkyBetLeagueTwo
    The travelling Magpies fans celebrated the stunning winner wildlyCredit: Twitter / @SkyBetLeagueTwo
    The win keeps Notts County’s promotion tilt on the right pathCredit: Rex
    Lou Macari spent 11 years at Manchester United and won the FA CupCredit: PA More

  • in

    I was my football club’s youngest-ever player but suddenly QUIT at 20 – now I have a very different career

    JOE HANCOTT swapped football for the classroom just four years after making his senior debut aged 16 and 161 days.The left-back has his name written in the Portsmouth record books after featuring in an EFL Trophy match against Fulham’s Under-21s in 2017.
    Joe Hancott quit football aged 20 to become a teacherCredit: 2019 Getty Images
    He became the club’s youngest-ever player a week before he was due to collect his GCSE results.
    His appearance smashed the record held by now Premier League manager Gary O’Neil.
    Hancott, who joined the club aged eight, was subbed on in the game by experienced boss Kenny Jackett and he went on to make a further three appearances for Pompey.
    But just four years after bursting onto the scene, he fell out of love with the beautiful game and no longer plays professionally.
    READ MORE IN FOOTBALL
    The 22-year-old was hit by a season-ending ACL injuries when in pre-season training with Portsmouth and then again during his subsequent recoveries on loan at Bognor Regis and Basingstoke.
    His scholarship at Fratton Park was initially extended before his release in 2021.
    It took a toll on Hancott and he simply had enough of trying to make it as a professional footballer despite being snapped up by Bognor Regis on a permanent deal.
    The disillusioned wonderkid hung up his boots at the age of 20 and decided to try to achieve his ambitions of becoming a teacher.
    Most read in Football
    FREE BETS – BEST BETTING OFFERS AND BONUSES NEW CUSTOMERS
    Hancott explained to The News: “I wanted to be out of it. Not Pompey as a club, professional football as a whole. I couldn’t wait.
    “Some people would say, ‘What the hell?’, but I fell out of love with it completely.
    “When I say fell out of love, weirdly I still loved watching it, I loved watching the Premier League and my club Tottenham, watching the Football League and my mates performing at non-league level.
    “But I didn’t like playing it at the time.
    “It could be down to pressure or maybe going through a 12-year academy process had drained that fun out of me.
    “Perhaps it was due to commuting from the Isle of Wight four times a week to train or play, with your body developing and growing yet constantly getting battered on different playing surfaces.
    “Or you’ve tried to come back from injury and, yet again, it hasn’t worked out, so you think: ‘That’s not for me any more’.
    “Pompey kept extending my contract because they wanted to help me get back to full fitness, but it got to the point where I wasn’t fussed about playing professional football anymore – and I told them that.”
    During his rehab following the ACL injuries, Hancott began to look at forging a path into teaching.
    He enrolled on an Open University course in sport and business management at Salford University back in 2020.
    And just six months in, he had made his mind up and quit football.
    Hancott initially worked in a primary school before landing his dream job two years ago at his former secondary in Ryde as a PE teacher.
    Read More on The Sun
    Now free from the pressure of the academy, he is back playing with Isle of Wight team Newport and now Cowes Sports.
    Both are in the Wessex Football League, which is the ninth tier of the English pyramid. More

  • in

    Leyton Orient forced to wear away kit against Barnsley despite playing at home – and there’s a bizarre reason why

    LEYTON ORIENT will wear their white away kit against Barnsley tomorrow, despite being the home side.Both sides traditionally wear red at home.
    Leyton Orient will wear their white away kit against BarnsleyCredit: Rex
    Barnsley would normally rock up in their white away strip for the Brisbane Road clash.
    They are currently without their alternate kit, however, after their team bus caught fire a fortnight ago.
    The Tykes had been travelling home from their 1-0 win at Exeter when the incident occurred.
    Everyone on board was thankfully evacuated safely and no one was harmed.
    READ MORE IN FOOTBALL
    But Barnsley’s away kit, which they had worn that day, was onboard and is now unusable.
    Neill Collins’ side have been unable to source replacements in time for tomorrow’s clash with Orient.
    Barnsley could wear their black third kit instead, which wouldn’t clash with their opponents’ red home shirts.
    But due to red and black causing significant issues for those who are colour blind, Orient have agreed to wear their white away shirts instead.
    Most read in EFL
    CASINO SPECIAL – BEST CASINO WELCOME OFFERS
    This means that home fans will get a rare glimpse of their team not playing in red.
    Orient boss Richie Wellens will be looking for his side to continue a positive run of form that has seen them win four of their last six games.
    During this run their home match with Lincoln was abandoned with ten minutes remaining following a medical emergency.
    The O’s later confirmed the tragic news that fan Derek Reynolds had died aged 74.
    It was later decided by the EFL that the match will be replayed in full at a later date. More

  • in

    Forgotten Newcastle star retires from playing aged 39 FOUR YEARS after starting management career having landed top job

    EX-PREMIER LEAGUE star Mike Williamson has been appointed MK Dons boss.The former Newcastle star has now officially retired from playing to focus on his career as a manager.
    Mike Williamson has been unveiled as the new MK Dons bossCredit: Twitter @footballdaily
    He played for Newcastle from 2010 to 2015Credit: Getty – Contributor
    Williamson has spent the last four seasons in charge of Gateshead.
    The 39-year-old was initially appointed as a player-manager but has only made a handful of appearances over recent campaigns.
    Williamson guided Gateshead to promotion from the National League North two seasons ago and leaves them sitting sixth in the fifth tier.
    He replaces the sacked Graham Alexander with the club 16th in League Two.
    READ MORE IN FOOTBALL
    On his appointment, Williamson said: “It’s been a quick turnaround and it was a tough decision to leave Gateshead but when a club like this comes in, it’s a no brainer.
    “We have a talented squad, with strength in depth, and we’ll come in and start getting to know the group.
    “They’ve got to trust us and buy into what we stand for – we have a lot of ideas that we want to implement, but it will be one thing at a time. It is going to be an evolution.”
    Club chairman Pete Winkelman added: “We believe we have found someone who is clearly aligned with what we want to see from an MK Dons team and I am very excited to welcome him.
    Most read in EFL
    FREE BETS – BEST BETTING OFFERS AND BONUSES NEW CUSTOMERS
    “Mike is a winner. He has achieved promotions throughout his playing career and already as a manager.”
    Gateshead coaches Ian Watson and Chris Bell follow him to Stadium MK.
    Williamson most notably played for Wycombe, Watford, Newcastle and Wolves during his career.
    He was a regular for the Toon from 2010 to 2015, making 169 appearances. More

  • in

    Leyton Orient’s clash with Lincoln will be replayed in full after it was abandoned on 82 minutes following fan tragedy

    LEYTON ORIENT’S abandoned clash against Lincoln will be replayed in full following the tragic death of a fan.The League One clash earlier this month was halted in the 84th minute with Orient leading 1-0.
    Leyton Orient’s abandoned clash against Lincoln will be replayed in fullCredit: Getty
    Orient were 1-0 up with six minutes left when the game was halted due to a medical emergencyCredit: Getty
    A medical emergency in the stands saw some supporters sit on the pitch in a bid to suspend play.
    The match was eventually called off an hour later.
    And the next day it emerged that 74-year-old Orient fan Derek Reynolds had sadly passed away.
    It was unclear if the game would be replayed, with Orient just six minutes away from victory in the abandoned match.
    READ MORE IN FOOTBALL
    But EFL chiefs decided the best course of action was to rearrange the full fixture.
    And a new date will be revealed shortly.
    A statement read: :The EFL Board has determined that the Sky Bet League One fixture between Leyton Orient and Lincoln City should be replayed in full following its abandonment on Tuesday 3 October.
    “The game was called off after the referee had taken the players off the pitch in the 84th minute when he was made aware of a medical emergency occurring in the stands, which unfortunately resulted in the passing of Leyton Orient supporter Derek Reynolds. 
    Most read in Football
    Orient fan Derek Reynolds sadly passed awayCredit: Twitter
    “Having considered all relevant factors relating to the decision taken by the match officials and club stadium staff on the night, alongside the options available to them in accordance with the Regulations, the Board felt the most reasonable course of action was to reschedule the fixture in full.
     “A new date for the game will be announced by the Clubs in due course.”
    Since their abandoned clash against Lincoln, Orient have gone on to record wins over Reading and Carlisle to go 10th in the table.
    As for Lincoln, they have lost back-to-back games against Peterborough and Burton, leaving them in 16th place. More