More stories

  • in

    Man Utd legend breaks silence over ‘unfair’ sacking at EFL club but refuses to accept his career is over

    MANCHESTER UNITED legend Mark Hughes has finally spoken out after Bradford City “unfairly” sacked him – and claims he is not finished yet.The League Two club axed the former Manchester City boss and ex-Barcelona striker, 60, two months ago.
    Mark Hughes took Bradford to the League Two play-offs last season but was axed on October 4 this term with the Bantams in 18th placeCredit: Alamy
    Hughes celebrates his second successive top-flight title with Man Utd in 1994 alongside Ryan Giggs, Lee Sharpe and Clayton BlackmoreCredit: Getty – Contributor
    But the 72-cap Welshman believes, after “shocking a few people” by stepping down the divisions to take the Bantams job, he can pull off another surprise by returning to management.
    Hughes won the Premier League twice and the FA Cup three times as a United frontman.
    The former Southampton and Everton ace also lifted the FA Cup with Chelsea, as well as twice being named PFA player of the year.
    After hanging up his boots in 2002, he bossed Wales, Blackburn, Man City, Fulham, QPR, Stoke and Southampton, before taking over Bradford in February 2022.
    READ MORE TOP STORIES
    And he feels the Bantams acted too quickly to dismiss him, despite winning just three of their first 11 EFL matches this season.
    Bradford sat in 18th place when he departed on October 4 after finishing sixth last term.
    But Hughes told ex-England chief Sam Allardyce’s No Tippy Tappy Football podcast, said: “We did okay last year and got to the play-offs, the best season they’d had at League Two level in this current period.
    “But you’re at risk as a manager early in the season if you don’t set the tone.
    Most read in EFL
    CASINO SPECIAL – BEST CASINO WELCOME OFFER
    “Everybody thinks that if you have a bad start, that’s how the whole season is going to pan out. That’s not the case, in fairness.
    “When I got the sack, it was the first time since December I’d lost back-to-back league games.
    “I thought it was a little bit unfair, if I’m honest. But the perception was that I needed to go.”
    Hughes insisted criticism from fans “wasn’t fazing me” and added: “I was quite happy to wait until it turned round.
    “I don’t feel I’m done. I possibly did before the Bradford role because I’d been out for three years. It looked like I wouldn’t get another opportunity, for whatever reason.
    “I had the opportunity to go to Bradford and took it. I probably shocked a few people.
    “But it was just a case of getting back in. I thought it was a good club with a good fanbase.” More

  • in

    Hated former Newcastle owner Mike Ashley keen to buy 24,200-seater stadium as he looks to be new EFL team’s LANDLORD

    MIKE ASHLEY is keen to take an interest in Reading.But that’s as landlord, not owner.
    Former Newcastle chief Mike Ashley is taking a keen interest in ReadingCredit: The Sun
    Ashley could buy the Madejski Stadium, having already bought Coventry’s arenaCredit: Getty
    The billionaire businessman has looked at the struggling club.
    And he wants to return to football after his exit from Newcastle.
    But insiders say he would put his cash into the stadium like he did at Coventry.
    Ashley bought the CBS Arena, previously owned by rugby club Wasps, in October last year.
    READ MORE FOOTBALL NEWS
    Coventry reached a last-minute agreement with Ashley two months later to continue playing until the end of last season.
    And they are still there today as they look to push up the Championship table.
    Reading play at the Madejski Stadium, currently named the Select Car Leasing Stadium for sponsorship reasons.
    The arena holds nearly 24,200 fans on match day.
    Most read in EFL
    FREE BETS – BEST BETTING OFFERS & NEW CUSTOMER BONUSES
    But the club is enduring a miserable time in League One after being relegated from the Championship last term.
    The Royals sit second-bottom of the table following just five wins in 18 games.
    They have also been docked four points this season for financial breaches.
    In total, Reading have taken a 16-point hit in less than two years — with 10 of those coming in 2023. More

  • in

    Wrexham goal hero Paul Mullin reveals brutal fines list including hefty penalty for swapping shirts

    WREXHAM striker Paul Mullin has revealed the ruthless fines system in operation at the club.The 29-year-old scored a sensational 47 goals in 53 games last season to lead the Welsh side back to the Football League after 15 years away.
    Paul Mullin has explained Wrexham’s fines policyCredit: PA
    Ryan Reynolds and Rob McElhenney took over in November 2020Credit: Getty
    It comes after Hollywood A-listers Ryan Reynolds and Rob McElhenney took over the club in November 2020.
    And they are now flying high in the fourth tier, sitting second behind Stockport after 20 games.
    But their recent success has come with the implementation of a brutal list of financial punishments for misconduct.
    And some of the infringements Mullin has confirmed are quite shocking.

    They include £50 for giving away their match shirt, £20 for not eating breakfast before 10.10am, and £200 for being late to a team night out.
    Speaking in his new book “My Wrexham Story: The Inspirational Autobiography From The Beloved Football Hero”, he said: “Helping to enforce discipline, we have an embedded system of club fines.
    “The list is up on the changing-room door: Late for training, the gym, or a meeting – £20. Late on matchdays – £100. Late for the bus – £100. Late for a team night out – £100. Not showing up for a team night out – £200.
    “Not eaten breakfast by 10.10 a.m. – £20. Phone going off – £10. Not wearing flip-flops in the shower – £5. Wearing flip-flops to go to a game – £10.
    Most read in EFL
    FREE BETS – BEST BETTING OFFERS & NEW CUSTOMER BONUSES
    “Cleaning boots in the shower – £10. Giving away a match shirt – £50.”
    Mullin also revealed there are fines for not abiding by health and fitness regulations.
    These include not wearing your GPS for training, putting your trainers on the fitness bed, and not reporting an injury prior to a day off.
    Smaller fines can also incur the wrath of the roulette wheel or the dice.
    The guilty part spins the wheel or rolls the dice and receives anything from not having to pay the fine to being forced to “start a boy band”.
    And Mullin admits he has been on the wrong end of many of the more severe punishments.
    He added: “Unlucky, and you can end up down Tesco buying everyone a shower gel.
    “Then there’s the dice. Each number represents a forfeit, which can be quite excruciating. You might have to do a silent disco in front of the lads or a lap of the pitch in your underpants – not too bad in May, but pretty unpleasant in the sideways sleet of January.
    “If you’re really unlucky you’ll have to create a boy band for a day with the team-mates either side of you in the squad numbers.
    In my case, that’s Ollie Palmer and Liam McAlinden – and not many people want to hear that!
    “Alternatively, you’ll have to buy those same players dinner. A bit simpler, but no less painful, is the requirement that you sling £50 in the players’ kitty. Sadly, I’ve done most of these, the price of repeatedly forgetting to wear my flip-flops in the shower.
    Read More on The Sun
    “Before the Christmas do, we all have to spin the roulette wheel regardless of whether we’ve violated a fines rule.
    “Last year I got stung for £50 without even having done anything – ‘What? No way! What’s going on here!’” More

  • in

    League Two clash SUSPENDED after power cut as pitch is plunged into darkness mid-match and away fans sing cheeky chant

    GILLINGHAM’S clash with Wimbledon was temporarily SUSPENDED due to a floodlight failure.The power outage occurred in the 64th minute when the League Two game was goalless.
    The lights went out during the game between Gillingham and Wimbledon
    The players were forced off the pitch during the darkness before they returned to complete the gameCredit: X
    Both sets of players made their way off the field, before Gillingham confirmed the cause of the issue was a power cut in the area.
    They tweeted: “Well, we’ve been here before….
    “Floodlights have gone out! Players heading back to the dressing room area.
    “We understand there is a power cut in the local area. We will keep you updated, may well be a short wait.”
    READ MORE IN FOOTBALL
    The disruption led the travelling Wimbledon fans to mock Gillingham as they waited for play to resume inside Priestfield.
    They could be heard chanting: “You can’t pay your bills.”
    And Wimbledon’s social media acknowledged the singing as they posted: “The players are leaving the field for the time being and heading to the dressing rooms. These weren’t the updates we had planned! 😅
    “The Dons fans are enjoying themselves in the dark by the sound of it 👏.”
    Most read in EFL
    FREE BETS – BT BETTING OFFERS AND BONUSES NEW CUSTOMERS
    The lights came back on after 16 minutes.
    The players were then given a five-minute warm-up before the action resumed.
    And Gillingham went on to win the match 1-0 thanks to an 85th-minute strike from Conor Masterson. More

  • in

    Man Utd legend’s grandson set to call time on Stoke career and complete permanent transfer to League Two

    STOKE’S Lewis Macari is set to move to Notts County full-time in the next transfer window.He is hopeful the move will help his Scotland chances.
    Lewis Macari is ready to join Notts County permanentlyCredit: Rex
    Lou Macari is a Man Utd icon and Lewis’ grandfatherCredit: Getty
    Manchester United legend Lou’s grandson is on loan with the League Two side.
    The 21-year-old has made five appearances for Notts County this season with the club sixth in the table.
    Macari was wanted by Scotland’s Under-21s for their last double-header against Belgium and Hungary.
    However, the Magpies needed him to play for them.
    READ MORE IN FOOTBALL
    The centre-back came through the ranks at Stoke and played once for their first-team.
    Macari spent the previous two seasons out on loan with Market Drayton Town and Dundalk.
    His granddad Lou began his career at Celtic before becoming an Old Trafford great.
    He featured 404 times for United as he helped the club get back to the top-flight and establish themselves in the First Division following relegation in 1974.
    Most read in Football
    CASINO SPECIAL – BEST CASINO WELCOME OFFERS
    The Scot also played a huge role in their FA Cup win three years later and in several European campaigns in the 1970s and 80s.
    Lou, 71, went on to manage the likes of West Ham, Stoke and Celtic.
    The Macaris are a football family with young Lewis’ father Paul previously on the books of Huddersfield and uncle Mike another with history at the Potters. More

  • in

    Ryan Reynolds’ Wrexham slammed for ‘stupid mistimed statements’ by League Two rivals Accrington Stanley amid ticket row

    RYAN REYNOLDS’ Wrexham have been slammed for a “stupid mistimed statement” by Accrington Stanley owner Andy Holt.The two sides face off in League Two action today.
    Wrexham announced they would reduce ticket prices for the visit of Accrington Stanley in March after their fans were charged extra for the return fixtureCredit: Getty
    Accrington owner Andy Holt slammed a Wrexham statementCredit: Rex
    Accrington announced they have increased ticket prices by £5 for the visit of Wrexham, who are expected to take a large following to the Wham stadium.
    They did the same for the visit of Bolton and Derby last season, with Holt stating more away fans means increased costs in stewarding and policing.
    In response Wrexham announced they would reduce match prices by £5 for the return fixture in March.
    A short statement read: “In response to Accrington Stanley’s decision to increase the matchday price by £5 from that previously charged at Wham Stadium for league games this season, we have decided to reduce the price of matchday tickets by £5 for the return game at the STōK Cae Ras on 02/03/2023.”
    READ MORE IN FOOTBALL
    Holt hit out, slamming the statement as “stupid” before explaining the reason behind the hike in prices.
    He wrote on Twitter: “When costs are already high @Wrexham_AFCthe last thing football needs is stupid mistimed statements.
    “It’s surprising how stupid given a former CEO of @EFL is employed by you.
    “Let’s have a great day for all fans safely, whatever the outcome on the pitch. Welcome to @ASFCofficial.
    Most read in EFL
    FREE BETS – BEST BETTING OFFERS AND BONUSES NEW CUSTOMERS
    “Unfortunately costs are very high for this game. Big policing bills and stewarding big stewarding costs.
    “I appreciate what @Wrexham_AFC are doing for our fans though 👍” More

  • in

    Manager bans his football team from CELEBRATING and tells them to give handshake or pat on the head instead

    NIGEL CLOUGH has banned his Mansfield Town players from CELEBRATING goals.The son of Nottingham Forest legend Brian laid down the law to stars following their unbeaten start to the League Two season.
    Nigel Clough has put his foot down on Mansfield Town players celebrating goalCredit: Alamy
    Clough wants his stars to remain focused and ‘save energy’ with a handshake or pat on backCredit: PA
    Mansfield have won eight of their 16 games so far and sit third in the table.
    Fans are starting to dream of promotion to League One, especially with their side boasting the meanest defence so far.
    But Clough, 57, reckons his players can do even more to help their chances.
    He believes too much energy is wasted on celebrations after a goal is scored.
    READ MORE IN FOOTBALL
    The ex-Derby County and Burton Albion boss believes stars should instead settle for a handshake or pat on the back if there’s still all to play for.
    However, Clough concedes he won’t deny his team a jubilant celebration should they score a decisive goal in the last minute.
    He told BBC Radio Nottingham: “I don’t really see the point of celebrating goals when the game is still in the balance.
    “If you score a last-minute winner and you know it’s almost the last kick of the game, then by all means. But do your celebrating at the end of the game, which is why we [Mansfield] always go over to the supporters.”
    Most read in EFL
    FREE BETS – BEST BETTING OFFERS AND BONUSES NEW CUSTOMERS
    Explaining that the only appropriate time to celebrate is after an achievement, he continued: “Yes, you have that individual moment when you do score, but I think it goes a bit over the top.
    “Be a bit more reserved about it, save your energy certainly – because when they kick off, you have to go get the ball back.
    “At the end of the game, if you have been lucky enough to have won, then that’s the time to celebrate.
    “Even the end of the season, because yes you celebrate each win, each unbeaten game, but then if you don’t achieve anything it’s a little bit wasted.
    “But the individual games are important to recognise when we have this great record. We have just won for the first time at Salford when we haven’t been brilliant – we dug in and won, scored two good goals and that in itself is worth a little celebration, but nothing over the top.”
    Clough has drawn up his new rules after his own experience as a player at Forest and Abion.
    He added: “You got a little pat on the back, a pat on the head or someone shook your hand – people like Ian Bowyer or Garry Birtles, who have won European Cups.
    “And even when you see them scoring in semi-finals of the European Cup, or even the final, there was no everyone running into the corner flag and everything because they knew then that once they kicked off, you need all the energy you have got to get the ball back to try to preserve your lead, or increase it or whatever.” More

  • in

    Southampton chasing Man City starlet Jadel Katongo with teenager impressing after switching to new position

    MANCHESTER CITY’S latest hot prospect Jadel Katongo is being chased by Southampton.England Under-20 cap Katongo is starring on loan at Peterborough, where he is emerging as a versatile talent.
    Jadel Katongo is on loan at Peterborough from Manchester CityCredit: Alamy
    The 19-year-old was known as a centre-half as a kid but is now being tried as a midfielder and looks impressive.
    Manchester-born Katongo has been at City since he was nine and is well known to Saints transfer supremo Jason Wilcox.
    Southampton have raided Man City’s academy in the recent past with four stars making a switch last summer.
    Katongo was also watched by Burnley last week as a possible long-term project.
    READ MORE IN FOOTBALL
    The Clarets could trump Southampton’s pursuit by offering the teenager Premier League football.
    However, it remains to be seen how long that will be the case as they sit bottom of the table with just four points from their opening 12 games.
    Meanwhile, Saints are beginning to mount a promotion charge under manager Russell Martin having been relegated last season.
    Unbeaten since September, the South Coast side have won six and drawn two of their last eight matches.
    Most read in EFL
    That run has seen them leap up to fourth in the Championship table.
    But they are still eight points adrift of the automatic promotion places as Leicester and Ipswich have opened up a substantial gap.
    It is Saints’ first season outside of the Premier League since the 2011/12 campaign. More