More stories

  • in

    Cole Palmer forced to prod Channel 4 presenter Jules Breach on live TV in awkward moment after England’s win over Malta

    COLE PALMER was forced to prod Channel 4 presenter Jules Breach live on TV in an awkward moment after his England debut.The 21-year-old Chelsea star broke former boss Pep Guardiola’s heart with a dramatic late penalty to earn the Blues a 4-4 draw against Manchester City at Stamford Bridge last Sunday.
    Cole Palmer was awkwardly left hanging by Jules Breach on Channel 4Credit: Channel 4
    That was Palmer’s fourth goal for the Blues since his arrival from the City on a seven-year contract on September 1.
    Aside from his form on the pitch, Chelsea fans have been falling in love with their new ace after a number of funny moments off the park.
    He amusingly stunned Sky Sports Monday Night Football’s interviewer with his brutal advice to hat-trick hero Nicolas Jackson following the 4-1 win at Tottenham.
    Palmer’s performances for Chelsea were rewarded with a first call-up to England’s senior squad.
    READ MORE IN FOOTBALL
    But he was then involved in another highly-entertaining moment where he was labelled “the funniest guy alive” after team-mate Conor Gallagher was left shocked at seeing him on England duty.
    Now Cole found himself caught up in ANOTHER hilarious scene after coming off the bench in England’s 2-0 win over Malta last night to win his first cap.
    Channel 4 were covering the game with the much-loved Breach leading the presenting duties alongside ex-Three Lions aces Joe Cole, Joleon Lescott and Jermain Defoe as pundits. 
    Following the final whistle, Palmer joined the foursome at pitchside to discuss his memorable moment.
    Most read in Football
    FREE BETS – BEST BETTING OFFERS AND BONUSES NEW CUSTOMERS
    And after the interview he shook hands with Cole, Lescott and Defoe – but was brutally left hanging by Breach.
    The host had already turned away to continue her presenting duties, but while she was talking, Palmer prodded her on the side to get her attention for a handshake as the trio of pundits burst out laughing.

    And after Channel 4 shared the clip on social media, fans soon started jumping in to the comments.
    “He is just too funny,” said one as another said: “I just love this guy.”
    “Man’s sooooo funny,” declared a fellow viewer while another called it “truly awkward”.
    Even Breach herself got involved on X, sharing the clip and captioning it along with a series of laughing emojis with: “Almost* left him hanging.”
    After his impressive cameo from the bench, Palmer will be hoping for more action under Gareth Southgate when England head to North Macedonia on Monday.
    Cole Palmer is forced to prod Jules Breach to get her attentionCredit: Channel 4
    Cole Palmer FINALLY gets his handshake
    Cole Palmer was handed his England debut last night in the 2-0 win over MaltaCredit: Rex More

  • in

    England vs Malta blighted by tech issues as fans fear ‘nuke threat’ and commentary disappears

    ENGLAND fans fumed as Channel 4’s coverage of the match against Malta suffered a massive blunder.Harry Kane had just put the Three Lions 2-0 up when the broadcaster experienced a tech issue.
    Channel 4’s coverage of England suffered a tech issue
    Viewers saw TV coverage cut to a “test” screen with a loud bleeping noise over the top.
    This only lasted a few seconds before the video feed was restored.
    However, fans were then left without commentary of the match.
    Another brief blackout would follow before all the technical issues were resolved.
    READ MORE FOOTBALL STORIES
    Reacting to the technical issue, one fan said: “I thought that was the end of the world nuke video prank thingy but for real there. Life flashed before my eyes. Cheers Channel 4.”
    A second said: “Channel 4 having a shocker.”
    A third said: “What’s happened here someone unplugged something?”
    Another said: “Oops! Someone tried to take Channel 4 off air??”
    Most read in Football
    CASINO SPECIAL – BEST CASINO WELCOME OFFERS
    A fifth said: “Channel 4 just gave me a f***ing heart attack thought the bombs where dropping.”
    While a sixth said: “The only best part of the entire game was the TV Test Card. I thought WWIII was going to begin. Channel 4 why did you have to stop the TV Test Card? I was enjoying that.”
    A seventh fan joked: “And in a moment of clarity, someone at channel 4 has unplugged Dion Dublin.”
    Eagle-eyed fans had woken from their slumber of a dire first half when they spotted a paper aeroplane flying across their screen’s.
    Another exciting moment saw the fourth official sprint across the pitch to fix a linesman’s equipment.
    Declan Rice appeared to have put England 3-0 with a stunning goal before it was ruled out by VAR.
    England went into the half-time break 1-0 ahead despite not registering a single shot on target following an own goal from Enrico Pepe.
    The 2-0 win continues England’s unbeaten run in the Euro 2024 qualifiers. More

  • in

    England aces take part in Great British Bake Off special – but who ended up with a soggy bottom?

    ENGLAND’S stars were hoping their biscuits would rise to the occasion when Paul Hollywood judged them for a Great British Bake Off special.But it looks as though a few ended up with soggy bottoms.
    Some of England’s finest footballers have had a go at their own version of Bake OffCredit: Channel 4 / Lee Brown
    Merseyside born Paul Hollywood bonded with Liverpool starlet Trent Alexander ArnoldCredit: Getty
    Kieran Trippier, 33, Declan Rice, 24, Jordan Henderson, 33, and Trent Alexander-Arnold, 25, were given just 35 minutes to bake and decorate a gingerbread masterpiece in the style of their football hero.
    Right back Trippier opted for England’s second highest goal scorer, Wayne Rooney, while midfielder Rice selected former captain John Terry.
    Fellow midfielder Henderson went for Paul Gascoigne and Alexander-Arnold chose Steven Gerrard.
    Merseyside-born Paul, 57, joked as he strolled into the Bake Off tent to set the challenge: “If you play for Liverpool you should probably win.
    READ MORE FOOTBALL NEWS
    “The rest of you, good luck!”
    The one-off Bake Off special will air at 5.30pm on Channel 4 Sport’s YouTube page ahead of this afternoon’s England v Malta game.
    The one-off Bake Off special will air at 5.30pm on Channel 4’s Sport’s Youtube page ahead of this afternoon’s England v Malta gameCredit: Channel 4 / Lee Brown
    Jordan Henderson’s Bake of Paul GascoigneCredit: Channel 4 / Lee Brown
    Legendary entertainer Paul Gascoigne made 57 England capsCredit: News Group Newspapers Ltd
    Trent Alexander-Arnold’s Bake of Steven GerrardCredit: Channel 4 / Lee Brown
    Iconic Liverpool centre midfielder Steven Gerrard made 114 England appearancesCredit: PA:Press Association
    Kieran Trippier’s Bake of Wayne RooneyCredit: Channel 4 / Lee Brown
    Wayne Rooney is England’s second top goal scorer with 119 capsCredit: PA:Press Association
    Declan Rice’s Bake of John TerryCredit: Channel 4 / Lee Brown
    Stalwart defender John Terry played 78 games for the Three LionsCredit: Reuters More

  • in

    Match of the Day’s future decided as TV giants snub show ‘amid fears over viewing figures and advertising market’

    THE BBC is set to retain the rights for Match of the Day.According to The Daily Mail, the iconic show will remain with the broadcaster for another four years from 2025.
    The BBC is set to retain the rights for Match of The DayCredit: BBC
    Gary Lineker is expected to hold contract talks with the broadcasterCredit: Alamy
    The likes of Channel 4, Channel 5 and ITV decided against bidding for the rights to Match of the Day as they do not find it commercially viable.
    All three broadcasters cited falling viewing figures and a difficult advertising market as their reasons for not bidding.
    ITV and Channel 4 have both strengthened their football coverage in recent years by winning the rights to England matches.
    However, neither will be able to show the Premier League in the near future.
    Read More on Football
    ITV executives held exploratory talks with England’s top tier in recent weeks, but they concluded that taking Match of the Day on will risk disrupting their Saturday evening entertainment schedule.
    The commercial factor is also a concern as all Premier League goals are now available to view online shortly after 5:15pm each Saturday.

    Fewer matches are also set to take place on Saturdays in the next broadcast cycle from 2025 to 2029 meaning broadcasters will likely have to pay for two highlights shows – something they are reluctant to do.
    The first episode of Match of the Day was aired in 1964.
    Most read in Football
    FREE BETS – BEST BETTING OFFERS AND BONUSES NEW CUSTOMERS
    Gary Lineker has presented the popular Saturday night show since 1999.
    The BBC’s retention of Match of the Day will trigger new contract talks with the former England striker.
    There are no guarantees he will remain with the show after a bumpy year.
    If he were to move on, bookmakers make Jermaine Jenas the favourite to become the new host at 2/1.
    Alex Scott, Micah Richards and Mark Chapman are among the other top contenders should the hotseat become vacant. More

  • in

    My dad is a Gogglebox legend – now I’m making my own way as a boxer after being rejected by Channel 4

    MARCUS LUTHER and his wife Mica are legends of Channel 4’s Gogglebox – but one member of their family has had to try something else after bosses snubbed him.Mica has two daughters from a previous relationship, Sachelle and Shuggy, while they share a son Yash.
    Marcus and Mica are Gogglebox legendsCredit: Channel 4
    Shiloh Defreitas, middle, is Marcus’ sonCredit: @therealmarcusluther
    Defreitas is a 4-0 unbeaten boxerCredit: Rex
    But Marcus also has a son from another relationship, Shiloh Defreitas, who is currently a 4-0 boxing prospect.
    Defreitas was originally touted to be on the series as he told the BBC in 2021: “Yeah I tried going on the show once – it didn’t work out.”
    And his dad Marcus brutally added: “Gogglebox is not for everyone.
    “Not everyone can ‘Goggle’. He’s too aggressive. Me and him just argued so I told him to sling his hook.
    READ MORE IN BOXING
    “The producers were trying to help him out but then he’d go off on one again. No Gogglebox for him, he’s a fighter.”
    Defreitas won his opening two pro bouts by stoppage in 2021 but has fought just twice over the last two years, winning both on points.
    He turned over as a successful amateur having represented England and the famous Repton Boxing Club.
    Defreitas is coached by his dad, who is still the most famous face in the family.
    Most read in Boxing
    FREE BETS – BEST BETTING OFFERS AND BONUSES NEW CUSTOMERS
    He said: “I see him on billboards and all sorts, it’s crazy.
    “At the weigh-in of my first fight, the Covid testing lady asked me to take a photo of her and him.
    “Even the ring announcer wanted a photo with him – it’s madness.”
    But Marcus, who trained in kickboxing and martial arts himself, said: “I’m known for Gogglebox but now people will see that I’m not just about sitting on the sofa. I’m about boxing and have been for years.”
    The father and coach also trains his youngest Yash, a currently unbeaten amateur prospect.
    Yash and his friend Dylan shot to fame on social media and have bright futures in the sport themselves.
    Defreitas has won four out of four fightsCredit: Rex
    Marcus’ youngest son Yash is an amateur boxing sensationCredit: @therealmarcusluther More

  • in

    Gianfranco Zola breaks silence on TV gaffe that left Bellingham in stitches as Chelsea icon says ‘I didn’t mean THAT’

    CHELSEA legend Gianfranco Zola addressed his recent hilarious gaffe that left England star Jude Bellingham laughing his socks off.Zola was part of the Channel 4 panel covering the Three Lions’ 3-1 victory over Italy at Wembley where Gareth Southgate’s men punched their ticket for Euro 2024.
    Chelsea legend Gianfranco Zola addressed his hilarious gaffe at WembleyCredit: Channel 4
    Zola left England star Jude Bellingham in stitches after the Italy gameCredit: Channel 4
    Bellingham, 20, led the brigade after Gianluca Scamacca’s opener as he won the penalty that Harry Kane converted to score his first goal and provided the assist for Marcus Rashford’s finish.
    The Italian shook off his country’s loss and rose above it by praising the Real Madrid superstar’s stunning performance as he got something off his chest.
    Zola told Bellingham: “I have to say it makes me laugh, because at 20 years old I was still drinking milk from my mum.”
    That was when the star midfielder and the rest of the panel were left in stitches.
    Read More on Football
    The 57-year-old appeared on talkSPORT earlier today where his viral gaffe was revisited.
    And the former striker proved to be a good sport as he couldn’t stop giggling along with presenters Alan Brazil and Gabriel Agbonlahor.
    Once he regained his composure, the ex-Italy international explained he got “lost in translation”.
    Brazil said: “I thought your English was very good!”
    Most read in Football
    Zola responded: “Yeah but sometimes I get lost in translation! I didn’t mean that!”
    The Chelsea great then finally got the chance to say exactly what he wanted to tell Bellingham after full-time.
    Zola said: “The fact is I am still very, very impressed by this young boy.
    “Not only in the way he behaves on the pitch, but the maturity, talking, the composure.
    FREE BETS – BEST BETTING OFFERS AND BONUSES NEW CUSTOMERS
    Zola explained he got lost in translation in that hilarious momentCredit: talkSPORT
    “I tell you something, there are moments in the game when things are not going your way and the tendency is to go along with it.
    “There was one player not giving up in that moment, I noticed that, it was Bellingham. He created everything from nothing. Italy was going very well, they were controlling the game.
    “But Bellingham himself created the first goal with an acceleration for the penalty. Then, the second one he created another fantastic acceleration.
    “I was really impressed and I wanted to let him know that. But I didn’t expect that!” More

  • in

    Jude Bellingham left in stitches on live TV after Chelsea legend Gianfranco Zola’s bizarre breast milk story

    JUDE BELLINGHAM was bent double with laughter by an astonishing breast milk revelation from Gianfranco Zola live on Channel 4.The England hero and TV pundits were open-mouthed at Chelsea legend Zola’s surprise trip down Mammary Lane following the 3-1 win over Italy.
    Jude Bellingham and Joe Cole lead the uproarious response to Gianfranco Zola’s surprise reminiscence about his own life aged 20Credit: https://twitter.com/C4Sport
    Zola tries to talk his way out of it after a comparison between himself and Bellingham didn’t go quite the way he meantCredit: https://twitter.com/C4Sport
    Bellingham was being interviewed on his star man performance – but instead it was Zola who got something off his chest.
    The former Italy striker 57, is in awe of the Real Madrid midfielder’s achievements so early in his career – but voiced it with a shock confession.
    The ex-West Ham manager exclaimed: “I have  to say it makes me laugh, because at 20 years old I was still drinking milk from my mum.”
    Bellingham, 20, almost split his sides in response as he rocked around grinning.
    READ MORE TOP STORIES
    Former England and Chelsea playmaker Joe Cole was almost as hysterical as the current Three Lions’ midfielder.
    But in the end it was Bellingham who got Zola off the hook.
    The smiling Italian had instantly realised some might take his youthful comparison too literally.
    But when Zola tried to clarify that he was only using a figure of speech, he only got as far as: “No, I mean…”
    Most read in Football
    FREE BETS – BEST BETTING OFFERS AND BONUSES NEW CUSTOMERS
    That’s because he was drowned out by laughter.
    Fortunately, Bellingham retained enough composure to finish the job for Zola by adding: “Not directly!”
    No interview could truly regain a serious note after that.
    And that’s a tiny shame for Bellingham – as, on the night England sealed qualification for Euro 2024, he was the cream of the crop. More

  • in

    Jordan Henderson admits he DID go to Saudi Arabia for the money as Liverpool legend opens up on controversial transfer

    JORDAN HENDERSON admits money WAS one reason for his controversial switch to Al-Ettifaq.The Liverpool legend, 32, says it “hurt” to be booed by England fans unhappy with his move to Saudi Arabia, where homosexuality is banned.
    Jordan Henderson came on as victory vs Italy sealed England’s place in the Euro finals, having been booed when coming off against Australia four days earlierCredit: Getty
    But he claims there has been confusion over the motives for his £700,000-A-WEEK transfer – having previously appearing to deny he had forgotten his morals for a mega pay day.
    The midfielder told Channel 4 ahead of England’s 3-1 defeat of Italy: “I did an interview a couple of months ago and maybe some of the stuff that came out didn’t come out in the way that I thought I said it.
    “An example of that would be when I said I didn’t go out there solely for the money. 
    “I think that’s a big difference – it’s not a sole reason going out there for the money.” 
    READ MORE TOP STORIES
    But Henderson, who has been a vocal backer of LGBTQ+ rights, insists he has come under no pressure to change his views since joining the Saudi Pro League over the summer.
    He apologised last month for any upset caused by moving to a country with a notorious record for human rights.
    And now the 80-cap star claims: “I think having someone like myself, with the values that I have, in Saudi Arabia is only a good thing. 
    “Before I went to Saudi, people knew the groups I supported and helped in the past.
    Most read in Football
    CASINO SPECIAL – BEST CASINO WELCOME OFFERS
    “My values haven’t changed as a person just because I’m going to a different country to play football.”
    And he added: “Not once since I’ve been there have they said I can’t do this or I can’t say that.”
    Henderson has “no regrets” over a transfer that in July left him earning THREE TIMES more than Three Lions skipper Harry Kane.
    But he revealed his mixed feelings over the hostile reaction from Wembley supporters when he was taken off in last Friday’s 1-0 friendly win over Australia.
    The workhorse explained: “Of course it hurts because every time you pull on that shirt it’s a proud moment and I’m playing for my team-mates, for my country and for the fans.
    “But at the end of the day that’s part and parcel – I’ve had enough criticism over my career so far to be able to deal with stuff like that.” More