More stories

  • in

    Hull owner reveals if he could sign any player in the world it would be Man Utd flop who has turned career around

    HULL CITY owner Acun Ilicali has named ex-Manchester United star Fred as one of two players he would most like to sign.Fred, 31, left Manchester United to join Fenerbahce in a £13million transfer last summer.Acun Ilicali revealed he would love to sign Fred for HullCredit: GettyFred has impressed for Fenerbahce this seasonCredit: GettyDuring his five-year spell at Old Trafford the midfielder made 218 appearances, scoring 14 goals and providing 18 assists.But since leaving he has established himself as a key first team player for the Yellow Canaries.So far this season Fred has made 26 appearances, with Fenerbahce second in the Turkish Super Lig.But Ilicali has admitted he would love to bring the Brazilian back to England.When asked which two Super Lig players he would most like to sign, the Hull chief told Sabah: “If I had the right to buy two footballers at the end of the season, I would close my eyes and buy Fred.”Seri-Fred-Ozan trio would be so good that you can sit and watch it with pleasure.”Ilicali went on to reveal that he would also sign Galatasaray goalkeeper Fernando Muslera.He added: “Take Muslera, welcome to the Premier League.”Most read in ChampionshipCASINO SPECIAL – BEST CASINO WELCOME OFFERSIlicali took over Hull in January 2022 when the team was in near the bottom of the Championship table.The Tigers finished 15th in the league last season but currently sit ninth, six points adrift of the Play-Off places.Manchester United’s fall from glory since Sir Alex Ferguson More

  • in

    Norwich incredibly copy Man City’s cheeky tactic to a tee against Leicester leaving fans in awe

    NORWICH took a leaf out of Manchester City’s playbook as they took the lead at Leicester.David Wagner’s play-off chasers stunned the stuttering Foxes with a clever corner routine in the 20th minute, before they went on to lose 3-1 at the King Power Stadium.Ben Gibson muscled Kiernan Dewsbury-Hall out of the wayGabriel Sara was left with a tap inJohn Stones scored a similar goal against LiverpoolCredit: AFPAlexis Mac Allister had been blocked off on that occasionThe Canaries have been set-piece kings this Easter, having netted twice from corners against Plymouth Argyle on Good Friday.They repeated the trick this afternoon, by using a similar tactic to Man City.Pep Guardiola’s men scored from a smart corner routine against Liverpool last month.Nathan Ake blocked off Alexis Mac Allister at the near post, leaving John Stones free to prod home Kevin De Bruyne’s whipped delivery from close range.READ MORE IN FOOTBALLOn this occasion it was Ben Gibson who manhandled Kiernan Dewsbury-Hall out of the way, with Gabriel Sara pouncing to score for the visitors.After Stones’ goal last month, Gary Neville labelled the routine as “genius”.Guardiola, 53, later deferred the credit to City’s set-piece coach Carlos Vicens.Stones himself said: “We’ve worked hard on it all week. We spotted something yesterday, worked on it, and it came off.”Most read in ChampionshipBEST FREE BET SIGN UP OFFERS FOR UK BOOKMAKERFans were quick to point out the similarities between the two goals.One wrote on social media: “Copied Man City’s goal against Liverpool carbon copy Norwich there.”Animated Pep Guardiola berates Jack Grealish at full-time after Man City are frustrated by Arsenal in title showdown While a second exclaimed: “Norwich just pinched Man City’s corner routine for the goal there!”A third commented: “No way Norwich just scored the same corner Man City scored against Liverpool.”And another added: “Norwich scoring the Man City corner there. Leicester are in free fall.”The Canaries’ lead did not last long.On 33 minutes Kiernan Dewsbury-Hall levelled for the home side, nodding in Stephy Mavididi’s header across goal.Stephy Mavididi then gave Leicester a second-half lead, before Jamie Vardy added a third to put Enzo Maresca’s side back on top of the Championship table.Kiernan Dewsbury-Hall equalised for LeicesterCredit: ReutersJamie Vardy added the third in a comeback win for LeicesterCredit: Reuters More

  • in

    Ex-Chelsea ace and QPR star Jake Clarke-Salter at centre of three-way Premier League transfer battle

    CRYSTAL PALACE, Burnley and Wolves are keeping tabs on in-form QPR centre-back Jake Clarke-Salter.The former Chelsea and England U21s captain has produced impressive displays with the Hoops this season.Crystal Palace, Burnley and Wolves want to sign Jake Clarke-SalterCredit: GettyAnd the defender has also attracted interest from Celtic and Ipswich who have monitored his progress at Loftus Road in recent weeks.Clarke-Salter has formed a strong centre-back partnership with Steve Cook under Martí Cifuentes.The 26-year-old, who is under contract until 2026, is expected to make his 29th appearance of the campaign in the Easter Monday Championship trip to Swansea.Clarke-Salter came through the ranks at Stamford Bridge and made his Premier League debut for the Blues against Aston Villa in April 2016 – eight years tomorrow.Read More on FootballBut his last first-team outing for Chelsea was in September 2017 in a home victory over Nottingham Forest in the EFL Cup.Clarke-Salter went on six loans across five clubs in a bid for regular first-team football.He had spells at Bristol Rovers, Sunderland, Dutch side Vitesse, two stints at Birmingham before a temporary move to Coventry.Clarke-Salter joined QPR on a free transfer in 2022 and is finally showing his promise in the first team.Most read in FootballCASINO SPECIAL – BEST CASINO WELCOME OFFERSClarke-Salter has impressed for QPR this seasonThe defender has made 28 appearances so far this season.QPR currently sit 18th in the Championship table.Football icons’ strange hobbies More

  • in

    ‘Biggest prat we’ve ever had’ – Towie babe’s footballer boyfriend slammed for bizarre TikTok dance while club faces drop

    BIRMINGHAM star Oliver Burke has been slammed by fans for taking part in a bizarre TikTok dance with his girlfriend.The winger has come under fire for his laissez-faire attitude amid the Blues’ relegation fears.Oliver Burke has come under fire for a TikTok danceBirmingham fans have criticised the winger for his relaxed attitudeBurke often takes part in girlfriend Megan McKenna’s TikTok videosCredit: InstagramThe pair have been dating since April last yearCredit: InstagramBirmingham are only above the Championship drop zone thanks to goal difference following a run of seven games without a win.So fans have been left fuming over Burke’s decision to take part in a silly Tiktok dance with partner Megan McKenna, of Towie fame.The clip is set to the New Order classic Blue Monday and sees them shadow boxing while arguing over what to have for dinner. In another video Burke rattled supporters just by making dinner with his girlfriend.READ MORE IN FOOTBALLOne fan reacted saying: “Biggest prat we’ve ever had at the club.”Another added: “He’s called Burke for a reason.”A third wrote: “Just sums up everything that’s wrong with loan players, the lack of connection to our club and the fans.”And another commented: “If anything sums up why I can’t stand this current squad it’s this.”Most read in ChampionshipBurke, 26, has failed to impress in his loan spell at Birmingham, making just 22 appearances without a goal or an assist to his name.Megan McKenna starred in The Only Way is EssexCredit: GettyBEST FREE BET SIGN UP OFFERS FOR UK BOOKMAKERIt is not the first time the Scotland international has endured a difficult loan spell and Burke has now played for ten clubs in eight years.He was once signed for £15million by West Brom after performing well for RB Leipzig, but he scored just one goal in 24 games for the Baggies.Burke later signed for Sheffield United in the Premier League before joining Werder Bremen, who he remains permanently contracted to.Football icons’ strange hobbies More

  • in

    Sunderland line up ex-Premier League boss as manager after sacking Michael Beale but will have to agree special terms

    PAUL HECKINGBOTTOM is top of Sunderland’s wanted list to be their next manager.The Black Cats want a long-term appointment after staggering along under caretaker boss Michael Dodds.Sunderland are lining up Paul Heckingbottom as their next managerCredit: PASunderland sacked Michael Beale and are under caretaker boss Michael DoddsCredit: RexAnd former Sheffield United chief Heck ticks the boxes.But that is if he is willing to work with the current regime and way of doing things.Sunderland want to promote their young players and keep some existing staff under the next boss.Heckingbottom, 46, had talks with the Wearsiders before Michael Beale got the job in December. Read More on FootballBut the move may suit both parties this time.Sunderland owner Kyril Louis-Dreyfus is in talks with a US financial group about a £20million loan.But not all the cash will instantly go to the club.Heckingbottom spent two years in charge of Sheffield United and led them to Premier League promotion in 2023.Most read in FootballBEST FREE BET SIGN UP OFFERS FOR UK BOOKMAKERHowever, the Barnsley tactician suffered a dismal campaign with the Blades in the top flight as he lost 11 out of 14 matches, of which he only won one.Heckingbottom was sacked in December and was replaced by Chris Wilder at Bramall Lane.’That’s Freudian slip of the month’, says Sky Sports presenter after embarrassed reporter’s blunder live on TVSheffield United are still bottom of the Prem table with seven points separating them from safety. More

  • in

    Love Island’s Kendall Rae Knight shares ‘happiest moment’ as she takes new baby to watch Championship star dad win

    LOVE Island star Kendall Rae Knight has shared her “happiest moment” after taking her baby boy to watch his Championship star dad.Knight’s partner, Preston North End full-back Andrew Hughes, starred in their 3-0 victory against Rotherham on Friday.Kendall Rae Knight has shared her ‘happiest moment’ as she takes her baby to watch dad Andrew Hughes playCredit: Instagram kendallraeknightThe Love Island star watched her partner Preston North End star win 3-0 against RotherhamCredit: Instagram kendallraeknightHughes signed for the Championship side back in 2018Credit: RexJust over three weeks ago Knight gave birth to a baby boy Cooper Cole Hughes.And yesterday the 32-year-old took her son to Deepdale to watch Hughes play in the Championship clash.The reality star shared a series of wholesome posts on her Instagram story.One pic was captioned: “One of my happiest moments, taking my baby boy to support his dad.”READ MORE IN FOOTBALLWhile a video of Knight holding her baby boy said: “We’re so proud of you always Andrew.”Preston North End went on to thrash Rotherham after Duane Holmes opener and Emil Riis double strike.The Lilywhites are now eighth in the Championship and just five points behind a play-off spot.Hughes started his career at Newport County and made his senior debut at 16-years-old. Most read in FootballBEST FREE BET SIGN UP OFFERS FOR UK BOOKMAKERAfter spending six seasons at the Welsh side and making over 160 appearances to full-back headed to League One side Peterborough. And after two seasons he then made a move to Preston in 2018 for an undisclosed fee.Glam footballer who quit to take up shock role in WWE makes in-ring debut… and uses overhead kick finishing moveMeanwhile in 2018 Kendall appeared on Love Island after having her heart broken by ex-fiance Michael Clark, who broke up with her just three months after proposing.She left Love Island single but her wishes came true one year later when she met Welsh hunk Andrew.Knight met Welshman Hughes in 2019Credit: Instagram kendallraeknight More

  • in

    Middlesbrough players left ‘a bit tetchy’ after plane drama that saw aircraft ‘blown all over the place’ trying to land

    MIDDLESBROUGH had to suffer a dramatic plane ride that saw the aircraft “blown all over the place” as they travelled down south to play Southampton.Boro snatched a last-gasp 1-1 draw at St Mary’s thanks to Emmanuel Latte Lath’s equaliser in the 90th-minute mark which cancelled out Adam Armstrong’s opener.Middlesbrough underwent a rough plane ride before the Southampton drawCredit: GettyMiddlesbrough boss Michael Carrick admitted that flight left his players ‘a bit tetchy’Credit: GettyMichael Carrick and his men went above and beyond against Saints considering the unpleasant journey they experienced heading to Hampshire.Strong winds led to an aborted landing that almost diverted the aircraft back to the Midlands.However, the pilots managed to get the job done at the second attempt.Nevertheless, Carrick admitted the incident left some of his players “a bit tetchy” and thinking they would rather have a long road trip back home rather than getting back on a plane.Read More on FootballMiddlesbrough didn’t get to their hotel until the late hours but still managed to scrap a point at Southampton the next day.Carrick said as per The Telegraph: “We didn’t get to the hotel until late last night after an aborted landing.“We were getting blown all over the place and we came down to land then had to take off as well and I’m thinking, ‘Oh God, it’s one of them’.“Then we were going to get diverted to Birmingham… It wasn’t pleasant.”Most read in ChampionshipBEST FREE BET SIGN UP OFFERS FOR UK BOOKMAKERCarrick added as per The Northern Echo: “We came to land, didn’t touch down, but then had to take off again. “It was tasty and some of the boys were a bit tetchy, absolutely. It wasn’t pleasant. Football icons’ strange hobbies”I think a few of the boys are talking about just getting the coach all the way back!”It’s been a bit hectic but it brings you together and I think that’s why in the end you think everything you go through, I’m so pleased the lads got something from it.”Middlesbrough still managed to deliver a blow to Southampton’s hopes of automatic promotion to the Premier League as Russell Martin’s men are now nine points away from second place. More

  • in

    Leicester incredibly face another season in Championship after blowing 17-POINT lead as Leeds overtake Foxes in table

    LEICESTER’S hopes of an immediate return to the Premier League suffered a fresh setback with a 1-0 loss at Bristol City.And the Foxes’ dreadful run has even seen them drop out of the top two – as Ipswich won to go top and Leeds are a point above Leicester after drawing.Leicester lost to Bristol City and dropped to second placeCredit: PALeicester have now blown a 17-point lead and could find themselves in the play-offsCredit: RexEnzo Maresca’s Foxes topped the table by 17 POINTS only 12 weeks ago.But after losing four and winning only one of their last six league matches, Leicester have been overhauled.And to make matters worse, while the Foxes were losing away on Friday, Ipswich were triumphing 1-0 at Blackburn to move two points above them. That means Leicester could find themselves only in the play-offs after dominating the division for the first half of the season.Read More on FootballCity’s Anis Mehmeti scored the only goal of the game 17 minutes from time with a left-footed shot into the roof of Mads Hermansen’s net.Jamie Vardy came closest to scoring for the Foxes but was twice denied by excellent saves from Max O’Leary.The only glimmer of good news for Leicester on Friday came in the evening game as Leeds dropped two points at mid-table Watford, albeit twice coming from behind in a 2-2 draw.The Foxes are now set to lock horns with fellow promotion chasers Norwich on Monday at the King Power Stadium.Most read in ChampionshipBEST FREE BET SIGN UP OFFERS FOR UK BOOKMAKERThe Canaries are sixth, which means they can find themselves in the play-offs.Southampton and West Brom are the other two teams currently occupying the play-off spots.Gary Lineker calls for huge FA Cup rule change after Chelsea knock out his beloved Leicester in thrilling clash More