More stories

  • in

    Fans all say the same thing as Bayern Munich train using jumping free-kick robot dummy wall

    BAYERN MUNICH fans all said the same thing after seeing Joshua Kimmich’s sublime free-kick in training.The German champions released a clip of the 27-year-old bending a sumptuous set-piece over the top of a robot dummy wall.
    Joshua Kimmich stepped up to bend a free-kick around the robot wallCredit: Instagram @fcbayern
    The German whipped it over the wall superblyCredit: Instagram @fcbayern
    And it flew into the top corner as Bayern fans called on him to do it in a gameCredit: Instagram @fcbayern
    Kimmich stepped up and curled the ball over a mechanical five-player blockade that jumps as a free-kick is taken.
    And the perfect effort flew into the top corner, giving the keeper no chance.
    However, rather than praise Kimmich for the free-kick, Bayern supporters instead focused on the fact that none of their players seem to be able to score them during games.
    Reacting on social media, one person said: “We need this at the stadium, not at training sessions”.
    READ MORE IN FOOTBALL
    Another added: “Always in training never in matches 😓”.
    A third echoed those replies, saying: “Why can’t he do that in the match?”
    And a fourth responded: “Could not deliver when playing for Bayern. Can only do it in a practice session”.
    Bayern currently sit four points clear of Freiburg at the top of the Bundesliga table.
    Most read in Bundesliga
    BETTING SPECIAL – BEST OFFERS FOR EXISTING CUSTOMERS
    Julian Nagelsmann’s men are yet to return to competitive action following the World Cup break.
    Their first game of 2023 takes place on Friday evening when they travel to third-place RB Leipzig.
    They are going for an 11th Bundesliga title in a row, with Bayern also very much in contention for the Champions League.
    Nagelsmann’s side have been drawn against Paris Saint-Germain in a blockbuster last-16 tie which gets underway on February 14.
    It is a repeat of the 2020 final which Bayern won 1-0 to claim their sixth European crown. More

  • in

    Chelsea ‘lining up Frankfurt’s Oliver Glasner’ as new boss as pressure increases on Graham Potter after horror run

    CHELSEA are eyeing Eintracht Frankfurt coach Oliver Glasner as a replacement for Graham Potter, according to reports.The Austrian, 48, led his German Bundesliga club to Europa League glory last season.
    Oliver Glasner is reportedly attracting interest from ChelseaCredit: AFP
    Frankfurt beat Rangers on penalties in the Seville final last May, having previously KO’d Barcelona and West Ham.
    Blues boss Potter is coming under ever-growing pressure after Thursday’s 2-1 defeat at Fulham left them tenth in the Premier League.
    Chelsea are on their worst run since 1996, with just six points from their last nine league games.
    Former Brighton manager Potter, 47, could make a swift exit despite only arriving last September.
    Read More in Football
    Germany’s biggest-selling newspaper Bild has now claimed that new Stamford Bridge supremo Todd Boehly is considering a move for Glasner.
    The Salzburg-born coach has led Frankfurt to fourth in the Bundesliga, just seven points behind leaders Bayern Munich.
    They are also still in the Champions League and the German FA Cup.
    Former SV Ried defender Glasner went on to manage the Austrian club, moving on to their league rivals LASK Linz and Germans Wolfsburg.
    Most read in Football
    BETTING SPECIAL – BEST FOOTBALL BETTING SITES IN THE UK
    He took charge at Frankfurt in 2021, since when his reputation has soared as one of European football’s top coaches.
    However Glasner has revealed his willingness to move on to a bigger club.
    He said: “I could say I’ll stay at Frankfurt come what may.
    “But an exceptional offer could come in, and the club might say ‘Oliver, take it.’
    “It is not on my mind, but my situation is the same as that for any player – it’s the law of the market that decides.”

    Potter could be sacked after defeat to Fulham on Thursday – their first loss to their neighbours in 17 years – leaves Chelsea with just one win in nine Premier League games – their worst run in 12 years.
    Chelsea’s new owners are determined to stand by their man but the Blues seem close to the point beyond which no elite club can fall before the manager gets the bullet.
    Graham Potter has struggled as Chelsea bossCredit: Rex More

  • in

    Chelsea and Newcastle target Youssoufa Moukoko caught up in age storm as reports claim Dortmund star is ‘22 and NOT 18’

    BORUSSIA DORTMUND star Youssoufa Moukoko has been caught up in the Cameroonian age fraud scandal.It is alleged the striker could in fact be 22-years-old, rather than 18.
    Youssoufa Moukoko has been caught up in the ongoing Cameroon age scandalCredit: Getty
    Moukoko was born in Cameroon but moved to Germany aged 14 where he was adopted.
    And according to Austrian outlet Laola1, his adoptive father sent an unearthed birth certificate belonging to Moukoko to a journalist.
    The document reportedly claims to identify the wonderkid as Yousouffa Mohamadou, with his year of both stated as 2000.
    That would make Moukoko 22, and further doubts over his age have allegedly been raised due to the fact he had partners who were significantly older than him during his teenage years.
    READ MORE IN FOOTBALL
    The German FA released a statement on the matter saying: “We do not comment on any speculation.”
    It comes after an age fraud scandal was uncovered in the Cameroon Under-17 squad.
    Cameroon Federation president Samuel Eto’o led the discovery after ordering players to undergo MRI tests.
    It was initially found that  21 out of 30 players were too old to play for the U17s, with another 11 players failing tests a few days later.
    Most read in Bundesliga
    FREE BETS AND SIGN UP DEALS – BEST NEW CUSTOMER OFFERS
    DR Congo have also been caught up in the scandal after MRI tests found 25 out of 40 squad members were found to have failed mandatory age testing.
    Moukoko is very highly rated by Dortmund and has already won two caps for Germany – one of which came at the World Cup.
    He has been on the radar of several Premier League clubs with Newcastle launching a bid to sign him this month.
    Chelsea have also been heavily linked with the youngster though Dortmund are planning to extend his contract. More

  • in

    Leeds on verge of club record Georginio Rutter transfer over £35m deal from Hoffenheim as he travels for medical

    LEEDS are reportedly on the verge of signing Hoffenheim striker Georginio Rutter for a club record fee.The French star is set to move to Elland Road for a fee of £24.8million with add-ons that could take the price up to £35m.
    Georginio Rutter is reportedly on his way to LeedsCredit: Getty
    Leeds are supposedly in the process of finalising the transfer with the Bundesliga club.
    Rutter is on his way to Yorkshire for a medical ahead of signing a long-term contract at Elland Road, claims journalist Fabrizio Romano.
    Current forward Patrick Bamford is injury prone and has not scored in ten games this term.
    Therefore, manager Jesse Marsch has been desperate to bolster his attacking options as he aims to keep his side in the Premier League.
    READ MORE IN FOOTBALL
    Rutter is a future star, impressing in Germany over the last two seasons.
    The 20-year-old found the back of the net eight times in 33 league games in the previous campaign, regularly appearing off the substitutes bench.
    This season he has scored twice in 15 appearances, being named in the starting line-up more frequently on 11 occasions.
    If Rutter completes his move to Leeds, he would become the club’s most expensive ever transfer.
    Most read in Bundesliga
    FREE BETS AND SIGN UP DEALS – BEST NEW CUSTOMER OFFERS
    It would overtake the current record held by Rodrigo’s £27m switch from Valencia in the summer of 2020.
    Leeds were rumoured to be keen on Blackburn’s Ben Brereton Diaz and Coventry’s Viktor Gyokeres if the deal for Rutter fell through.
    He will become Marsch’s second signing of the January window after buying Maximilian Wober from RB Salzburg. More

  • in

    Chelsea-bound Christopher Nkunku will not play until end of February as his recovery from knee injury drags on

    CHELSEA-BOUND Christopher Nkunku will not play until the end of February at the earliest as his recovery from a knee injury drags on.The France striker and his club Red Bull Leipzig have targeted the Champions League last 16 clash with Manchester City on February 22 as his comeback date.
    Christopher Nkunku is set to sign for Chelsea in the summerCredit: AFP
    But after suffering an injury prior to the World Cup, his return date has now been revealedCredit: AFP
    Nkunku remains in Paris undergoing treatment for the problem which he picked up just before the World Cup and which stopped him from joining the eventual finalists in Qatar.
    Chelsea and Leipzig have yet to formalise the £53 million deal which was triggered by the Premier League side meeting the player’s buy-out clause in his contract.
    The date with City is only a loose target with some people fearing Nukunku’s return may come as late as March to ensure his injury is fully fit again.
    Chelsea have been pursuing Nkunku for some time and even arranged a secret medical for him in early September as they looked to get ahead of their rivals.
    READ MORE ON CHELSEA
    He was named in Didier Deschamp’s provisional 25-man squad for Qatar but had to withdraw after getting hurt in a collision with Eduardo Camavinga while training at France’s national team HQ in Clairefontaine near Paris.
    Chelsea are eager to add firepower to boss Graham Potter’s squad having struggled with forwards in recent seasons.
    Belgium star Romelu Lukaku lasted just a season before being sent back to Inter Milan on loan.
    Veteran Pierre-Emerick Aubameyang is struggling to make an impact after signing in the summer.
    Most read in Football
    HOW TO GET FREE BETS ON FOOTBALL
    Germany striker Timo Werner lasted only two seasons before he returned to Germany.
    Chelsea have won just once in the last seven matches.
    Here’s how Nkunku performed for RB Leipzig before his injury More

  • in

    Telling my kids I was sick and needed to go to hospital was hardest part of testicular cancer battle, says Haller

    SEBASTIEN HALLER says the hardest part of his cancer battle was telling his children he was sick and needed to go to hospital.The Borussia Dortmund striker, 28, was diagnosed with a testicular tumour just two weeks after signing for the club as Erling Haaland’s replacement.
    Sebastien Haller opened up on telling his kids about his cancerCredit: https://www.instagram.com/p/CgciiAmKPXU/?hl=en
    The striker was full of admiration and appreciation for his wife PriscillaCredit: https://www.instagram.com/priscilla.haller/?hl=en
    Haller underwent four rounds of chemotherapy for the testicular cancerCredit: Not known, clear with picture desk
    He underwent four rounds of chemotherapy and had two operations before returning to training last week with an Apple watch to track all his data.
    And as he prepares to make his debut against Dusseldorf in a friendly today, Haller opened up on an emotional six months.
    And discussing his illness with his young kids alongside wife Priscilla proved incredibly difficult.
    He told Bild: “I first discussed with my wife how best to explain it to our children.
    READ MORE IN FOOTBALL
    “We looked online for tips and asked other people. We then found a way and explained it to them with a small video.
    “The hardest part was getting them to understand that while I’m fine right now, I’m sick and need to be hospitalised – even for a few weeks or months.
    “We wanted to be honest, the kids are smart and have good senses themselves, so we didn’t want to try to hide anything from them.
    “Luckily they took it well, I laughed a lot at home, played a lot with them.
    Most read in Bundesliga
    “In the beginning it wasn’t like usual, of course – my older son often wanted to jump on me, so I had to tell him: ‘not yet’. But now everything is fine.”
    Haller added he did not cry when he found out the news but was instantly determined to beat the cancer.
    The Ivory Coast forward continued: “I knew immediately: I have no other choice. The choices are limited.
    “It won’t do you any good if you put yourself in a depression.
    “So I said to myself: stay positive, bring your family and friends together. You’re not alone. So go through it together with them.
    “When I got home, my wife had prepared a few small posters with the news from my family. Mum, dad, brother, sister.
    “That was actually the most emotional thing. But there was also an incredible amount of uplifting news from the football world, I can’t even list everyone.
    “The president of Ivory Coast was there, my former clubs and of course a lot of players, Luka Jovic and Ante Rebic also wrote to me which made me happy.”
    Haller encourages everyone, not just footballers, to get regular health check-ups in case they detect any problems.
    Now the striker is focusing on regaining his match sharpness ahead of his debut for Dortmund following the £28million transfer from Ajax.
    Read More on The Sun
    The vision of playing and scoring in front of the famous Yellow Wall at Signal Iduna Park has been replayed over and over in his mind for the last six months.
    And that first goal will hopefully not be far away – and will be a special moment for Haller, his family and his new adoring fans.
    Haller has resumed training with his new club ahead of his debutCredit: Getty More

  • in

    Chelsea face missing out on Marcus Thuram as Barcelona ‘scout striker ahead of summer transfer’

    CHELSEA are facing an uphill battle to sign Marcus Thuram after Barcelona sent scouts to watch him, according to reports. Thuram, 25, is out of contract in the summer and consequently represents a cut-price option in a heavily inflated January market.
    Chelsea face missing out on Marcus ThuramCredit: Getty
    Chelsea are one of a number of sides who have been linked with a move for the Frenchman, who can play as a winger or a striker.
    However, Barcelona are understood to be taking the most keen look at him.
    According to Mundo Deportivo, the club’s present financial situation is restricting them from being able to freely navigate the market.
    Therefore, they have been seeking cheaper alternatives – a profile Thuram fits due to the nature of his contract.
    READ MORE ON CHELSEA
    The report indicates the Spanish giants have sent scouts to watch the Borussia Monchengladbach star, with “favourable” reports being returned.
    Thuram is typically deployed through the centre in Germany, but during the World Cup he made his impact off the bench coming from the wing, showcasing his versatility.
    With him thought to be available for just under £10million as well, the likes of Manchester United, Arsenal, Newcastle, Tottenham and Liverpool have all retained an interest.
    But each of these clubs seem to have transfer target priorities which, for now at least, lie elsewhere.
    Most read in Football
    BETTING SPECIAL – BEST OFFERS FOR EXISTING CUSTOMERS
    Chelsea owner Todd Boehly is said to have now stepped down from his role as interim sporting director, but it has not stopped the club pressing forward with deals.
    The Blues have verbally agreed to cough up the £10million loan fee for Atletico Madrid’s Joao Felix, which they hope will alleviate some of their issues for the remainder of the season.
    Here’s how Thuram has performed in the Bundesliga this season More

  • in

    Ex-Sheff Utd star Mousset set to have VfL Bochum contract ripped up as he’s banned for turning up to training late again

    FORMER Premier League ace Lys Mousset is set to have his VfL Bochum contract ripped up, according to reports.Mousset, 26, joined the Bundesliga side last summer after six years in England with Bournemouth and Sheffield United.
    Lys Mousset has been punished for regular tardinessCredit: Rex
    In six months he has failed to make a single appearance, however, and is set to be released.
    According to German paper Kicker, Bochum have become sick of Mousset’s regular lateness.
    His latest indiscretion is said to have taken place during a training camp in Andalusia.
    The Frenchman has been sent home from the trip and suspended by his club.
    READ MORE IN FOOTBALL
    And it’s claimed that the Bundesliga side plan to follow his suspension by terminating his contract.
    As reported by Fussball Transfers, Mousset has been described as “unmotivated, unpunctual and unprofessional”.
    It’s claimed that he arrived at his new club unfit last summer, and never managed to get up to scratch.
    He was named as a substitute just once at Bochum, for a 2-0 defeat to Werder Bremen back in September.
    Most read in Bundesliga
    FREE BETS AND SIGN UP DEALS – BEST NEW CUSTOMER OFFERS
    That was the only time he made the matchday squad.
    Manager Patrick Fabian said: “We kept giving him a chance, now there’s no point.”
    He went on to add: “It’s pretty disappointing because we naturally had a lot of hopes from him in terms of sport.
    “At some point, however, the time has come when we have to protect the group as a whole.”
    Mousset arrived in English football in 2016, when Bournemouth paid around £6.5million to recruit him from Le Havre.
    He struggled for goals with the Cherries, netting just five times in 71 appearances for them.
    Despite his profligacy in front of goal, Sheffield United opted to pay a then-club record £10m fee to bring him to Bramall Lane in September 2019.
    He scored nine goals and laid on four assists in 53 outings for the Blades.
    Mousset was shipped off to Salernitana on loan in January 2022, managing only six appearances and no goals in Serie A before moving to VfL Bochum last summer.
    Lys Mousset tussles with Eric Dier during his time in the Premier LeagueCredit: Getty More