More stories

  • in

    Tragic Charlotte Vellar’s haunting last posts reveal how much she loved football before her sudden death aged just 16

    A TRAGIC teenage football star proudly shows off her team strip in haunting social media posts weeks before her sudden death.MSV Duisburg defender Charlotte Vellar, 16, is also seen smiling and lip-synching to pop tunes in a series of fun TikTok posts just days ago.
    Charlotte Vellar has fun with Duisburg youth teammates in a TikTok video posted a few weeks agoCredit: Tiktok
    The fun-loving youngster also filmed herself lip-synching in her bedroomCredit: Tiktok
    The cause of Lotti’s sudden death aged 16 has not been revealedCredit: MSV Duisburg
    Duisburg, whose women play in Germany’s top flight Bundesliga, announced the shock news of her death on Sunday evening.
    The cause has not been revealed.
    Tributes poured in for the talented youngster, known as Lotti.
    She was a regular with Duisburg’s under 17s and also trained with the adult A team.
    read more on footballers
    Last month she posted a TikTok from the dressing room, using an editing trick to show her and teammates instantly switch from tracksuits to match kit.
    The fun-loving teenager is also seen larking around with pals behind the scenes at training.
    Others videos as recently as last week show Lotti lip-synching in her bedroom like thousands of other girls her age.
    And one from December shows her giggling while lip-synching along with her mother. The vid is captioned: “Mum didn’t know the lyrics.”
    Most read in Football
    One TikTok follower said in the comments yesterday: “I feel so sorry for her, look how happy she looks with her daughter.”
    Another online pal said: “Rest in paradise Angel xx.”
    Lotti had been at Duisburg – one of Germany’s biggest women’s teams – since 2018 when she was scouted from Kapellen’s youth team.
    She last played on February 26, leading her U-17 team club to a 9-0 victory over Bayer Uerdingen.
    There was an outpouring of grief after MSV Duisburg posted a tribute on Twitter on Sunday evening.
    It said: “There is no consolation in this incredible pain.
    “MSV mourns the loss of Charlotte Vellar, who died far, far too early at the age of 16.
    “Our condolences to family, friends and team members.
    “We wish you strength for these incredibly difficult moments.”
    Her former club TV Kapellen also paid tribute.
    It said: “We are shocked and incredibly saddened to hear about the passing of Charlotte Vellar. Lotti just turned 16 years old.
    “Lotti, as she was called, always had a smile on her face and found her great passion in soccer.
    “She was a cheerful and passionate soccer player.
    “No matter what, she always had a smile on her face.
    “Five years ago she was discovered by MSV Duisburg and moved there.
    “We were so proud of Lotti because she was the first player in Kapellen to play in a Bundesliga club.
    “Our sympathy goes to the family, friends and their U17 team from MSV Duisburg.
    Read More on The Sun
    “We wish you all a lot of strength for these incredibly difficult moments.
    “Lotti, we will always keep you in our hearts.”
    Lotti lip-synchs with her mum in another TikTok videoCredit: Tiktok
    MSV Duisburg announced Charlotte Vellar’s sudden death on SundayCredit: MSV Duisburg
    Former club TV Kapellen said Lotti ‘always had a smile on her face’Credit: Frauen und Mädchen Fußball TV Kapellen
    Lotti also had thousands of followers on InstagramCredit: Instagram More

  • in

    Bayern Munich boss fumes as he admits there’s a ‘mole’ in the dressing room after detailed tactics are leaked

    JULIAN NAGELSMANN has admitted to Bayern Munich having a dressing room “mole” leaking tactics.The Bayern boss was left furious when a detailed game plan was published by the German press.
    Julian Nagelsmann is furious with Bayern’s dressing room ‘mole’Credit: Getty
    Sports daily Bild got their hands on original documents handed to players by Nagelsmann himself.
    They featured intricate tactical instructions with detailed notes by the 35-year-old.
    Nagelsmann pulled no punches when asked about the leaks, claiming that whoever Bayern’s mole is has “harmed” his team-mates.
    The former RB Leipzig boss said: “It bothers me a lot.
    Read More in Football
    “The person who transmits this harms each of the players, he is not the objective.
    “What is the person who transmits this looking for? What are you waiting for?
    “I don’t see what his motivation could be, beyond facilitating the task for the adversary.”
    Nagelsmann is determined to find the source of the leak, but admits that it will be difficult.
    Most read in Bundesliga
    BETTING SPECIAL – BEST FOOTBALL BETTING SITES IN THE UK
    He went on: “Moles are protected species.
    “Every time you drive through the countryside you see 80,000 moles and you can’t get rid of them. Their search is very, very difficult.”
    He believes that the guilt could weigh heavily on the perpetrator.
    ‘IT’S NOT FAIR’
    Nagelsmann continued: “I try to find out what the reason is. For me it is always important to be able to look in the mirror at night, to treat my players and my fellow coaches well.
    “I hope that this person can’t look in the mirror because it’s not fair.”
    Perennial champions Bayern Munich are one point behind leaders Borussia Dortmund, albeit with a game in hand.
    They will climb back to top spot this afternoon, should they avoid defeat at Bayer Leverkusen.
    Bayern are still going strong in the Champions League, having beaten Paris Saint-Germain 3-0 on aggregate in the round of 16.
    Read More on The Sun
    Nagelsmann’s side will take on former boss Pep Guardiola’s Manchester City in the quarter-finals.
    While they are also in the DFB Pokal quarters, in which they have a home tie with SC Freiburg next month.
    Bayern Munich are still fighting on three frontsCredit: Getty More

  • in

    Chelsea ‘enquire about Monchengladbach midfielder Manu Kone’ and have edge over PSG in transfer battle

    CHELSEA have enquired about Borussia Monchengladbach midfielder Manu Kone with the Blues having the edge over Paris Saint Germain according to reports.The French U-21 international joined the Bundesliga side in January 2021 from Toulouse.
    Manu Kone could be on the move to the Premier League this summerCredit: Getty
    Kone joined Borussia Moenchengladbach in 2021 from ToulouseCredit: Getty
    The 21-year-old has been in excellent form for Daniel Farke’s side this season and attracted the interest of some of Europe’s top clubs.
    According to German publication Sport Bild Chelsea and PSG have enquired about the midfielder.
    The report added that the Stamford Bridge club have the edge as Kone “dreams” of a move to the Premier League.
    Despite spending over £100million on Enzo Fernandez in January Chelsea are in the market for a defensive midfielder.
    READ MORE ON CHELSEA
    The Blues are trying to find a solution that would enable Fernandez to operate further forward.
    Fernandez has had to operate deeper of late following the departure of Jorginho to Arsenal, N’Golo Kante’s injury and the lack of a defensive midfielder in the squad.
    Graham Potter’s side have also been linked with moves for West Ham’s Declan Rice and Moises Caicedo of Brighton.
    A summer departure is a possibility for Kone with the report adding that his agents have met Gladbach sporting director Roland Virkus to talk about a summer exit.
    Most read in Bundesliga
    HOW TO GET FREE BETS ON THE CHELTENHAM FESTIVAL
    Gladbach would be looking for in the region of £25m or more for a player who will have two years left on his contract come the summer.
    To date the midfielder has made 50 appearances for Gladbach, scoring three goals with his first for the club coming in the 5-0 win over Bayern Munich in the German Cup. More

  • in

    Arsenal risk missing out on Julian Brandt transfer as ‘astronomical’ offer emerges – but star ‘dreams’ of Premier League

    ARSENAL could miss out on Julian Brandt with Borussia Dortmund preparing an “astronomical” offer to keep him, according to reports.The attacker’s contract with the German side is set to expire in the summer of 2024.
    Julian Brandt is set to be in high-demand this summerCredit: Getty
    The possibility of a cut-price swoop has put a number of teams on alert, including Arsenal and North London rivals Tottenham.
    According to German outlet DW, however, Dortmund will offer Brandt a huge salary to extend his deal and stay at Signal Iduna Park.
    The 26-year-old has been in great form this term, scoring nine goals and laying on five assists in 32 appearances in all competitions.
    Despite Dortmund’s best efforts, Brandt “dreams” of moving to the Premier League.
    READ MORE ON ARSENAL
    While chatting to Caught Offside, Bundesliga reporter Christian Falk offered up his take on Brandt’s situation.
    Falk said: “He’s been dreaming for years of making it in the Premier League.
    “There has always been contact with Arsenal and we’ve heard that the club is interested again.
    “His contract expires in 2024, so there has to be a decision, especially now that he’s found more consistency this term in comparison to recent years at Dortmund.
    Most read in Bundesliga
    HOW TO GET FREE BETS ON THE CHELTENHAM FESTIVAL
    “Now, it could be the time to make the next step and follow [Kai] Havertz to England.
    “He hasn’t got one club in his head at the moment, but Arsenal are of course more interested than ever before.”
    Brandt could slot in on either the left or right flank, as well as Martin Odegaard’s No10 position.
    Spurs could also look to bolster their creativity, depending on who their manager is next term.
    With Antonio Conte appearing almost certain to leave, Tottenham are set to have a new boss in charge come August.
    Mauricio Pochettino, Luis Enrique and Marco Silva have all been linked with the job. More

  • in

    Yann Sommer lives up to incredible promise as he trucks in a near TONNE of Swiss chocolate.. before giving it to charity

    YANN SOMMER went from dominating his box to donating his chocs – all 700 KILOS of them!The Bayern Munich keeper trucked in the top-notch nibbles from his home country Switzerland after making a bemusing promise to team-mate Matthijs de Ligt – but then gave them to a foodbank instead.
    Yann Sommer wanted to thank goal-line hero Matthijs de Ligt with a massive haul of chocolates but ultimately gave them to a Munich charityCredit: Getty
    Eric Maxim Choupo-Moting and Serge Gnabry were the goalscoring foxes in the box for Bayern but it’s the chocs in these boxes that will help a foodbank
    Sommer vowed to reward the defender for a goal-line clearance when Bayern KO’d PSG in the Champions League last week.
    In the end, Eric Maxim Choupo-Moting and Serge Gnabry both grabbed an After Eight on the night – second-half goals to clinch a 2-0 win.
    That double bounty put Bayern into the last 16 by 3-0 on aggregate.
    But Sommer was so impressed by De Ligt’s intervention that he vowed to deliver him a huge haul of chocolate bars from Swiss manufacturer Kägi. 
    READ MORE TOP FOOTBALL
    The stopper, however, eventually opted to send the sweets to a charity in Munich called Münchner Tafel.
    And apart from being a charitable idea, De Ligt seems to think it was wise for football reasons too.
    Just before the 0.7 TONNE of bars was redirected, the Holland star told Sport1: “We’re in good form now so it’s better not to eat too much chocolate.
    “This week was very important — with the win against Paris (and against Augsburg). 
    Most read in Bundesliga
    BETTING SPECIAL – BEST SPORTS BETTING APPS IN THE UK
    “We’re now in the Champions League quarter-final, in the DFB-Pokal and top of the Bundesliga, so it was important.”
    And chasing that confection of honours is surely a sweet consolation for sticking to a strict eating regime. More

  • in

    Dortmund’s ‘disturbing’ Jude Bellingham statements after Man Utd and Chelsea transfer target struggles for form

    BORUSSIA DORTMUND have hinted at the reason behind Jude Bellingham’s drop off in form.The England international, 19, enjoyed a tremendous first half of the season before he shone for his country at the World Cup.
    Jude Bellingham has had his knee bandaged up in recent weeksCredit: Getty
    But he has struggled to regain that level of performance in recent weeks.
    And it is now a month since he registered a goal or assist for the Bundesliga giants.
    Sporting director Sebastian Kehl was quizzed about Bellingham’s difficulties following Dortmund’s 2-2 draw with Schalke over the weekend.
    He said: “Maybe he’s missing a goal here or there that he scored in the first half of the season.
    READ MORE IN FOOTBALL
    “He works. He wants and wants. And yet there are times when that’s okay. You also have to admit that a player doesn’t always play at the highest level.
    “But I know with him that he works hard on himself. That’s where it goes.”
    However, Kehl then hinted at Bellingham carrying an injury after being asked specifically about the bandaging he has been wearing on his left knee.
    Kehl replied: “He has been treated regularly over the past few weeks.
    Most read in Bundesliga
    FREE BETS AND SIGN UP DEALS – BEST NEW CUSTOMER OFFERS
    “That may end up costing one or two per cent. We hope that we can get this under control quickly.”
    Pressed further on the knee problem, he cryptically added: “As long as he can play, everything is fine.”
    German newspaper Bild described the comments as “disturbing” as Dortmund fans face an anxious wait over the fitness of their star midfielder.
    Bellingham has been heavily linked with a move away from Dortmund this summer, with Manchester United, Chelsea, Liverpool and Real Madrid among the clubs keen to sign him.
    Meanwhile, Dortmund’s run of eight Bundesliga wins in a row came to an end at the hands of Schalke as they dropped two points behind Bayern Munich in the title race.
    It came just four days after Edin Terzic’s side were dumped out of the Champions League by Chelsea. More

  • in

    Man Utd and Chelsea dealt transfer blow as ‘Barcelona enter race to sign France star Marcus Thuram for FREE’

    BARCELONA have reportedly entered the race to sign Borussia Monchengladbach star Marcus Thuram on a free transfer in a blow to Premier League sides.The French international – whose contract at the Bundesliga side is set to expire in the summer – has a host of admirers.
    Barcelona have reportedly entered the race to sign Marcus ThuramCredit: Getty
    Premier League sides including Man United, Chelsea and Arsenal have all been linked with moves for him.
    They may all find it more difficult to land Thuram as Barcelona are now interested in signing him, according to fichajes.
    The report suggests that the 25-year-old could arrive as a replacement for Ansu Fati or Ferran Torres.
    Barca could be tempted to cash in on one of them in order to alleviate their financial struggles.
    READ MORE ON MAN UTD
    The club are currently dealing with an impending transfer ban which would make registering new players difficult.
    Thuram also has ties to Barcelona as his father, Lilian, played for the club between 2006 and 2008.
    The forward has been in great form this season for Monchengladbach.
    HOW TO GET FREE BETS ON FOOTBALL
    He has scored 14 goals and provided four assists in 24 appearances in all competitions.
    Most read in Football
    He is currently the joint-fourth top scorer in the Bundesliga, behind Vincento Grifo, Christopher Nkunku and Niclas Fullkrug.
    Thuram made five appearances in the World Cup in Qatar for France, including as a substitute in the final. More

  • in

    Chelsea, Man City and Liverpool ‘all want Josko Gvardiol transfer’… but which club leads race for RB Leipzig star?

    CHELSEA, Manchester City and Liverpool all want to sign Josko Gvardiol, according to reports.The RB Leipzig centre-back is one of the most sought-after players in Europe after impressing at the World Cup with Croatia.
    Josko Gvardiol is wanted by three Premier League clubsCredit: Rex
    The Daily Mail claim that Man City are leading the race to land the 21-year-old.
    Pep Guardiola’s side reportedly view Gvardiol as a priority signing this summer.
    The player has a £98million release clause that will begin from 2024 with RB Leipzig hoping he stays.
    Gvardiol joined the Bundesliga outfit in 2020 from homeland club Dinamo Zagreb for a fee of £14m and he has since helped them win the DFP Pokal last season.
    READ MORE IN FOOTBALL
    City want to bring in a new defender as Guardiola has been forced into regular changes at the back this season and could sell Aymeric Laporte.
    The Spaniard, Ruben Dias and John Stones have all had lengthy spells out injured, while Manuel Akanji and Nathan Ake have stepped in.
    Chelsea have already spent an eye-watering £138m on centre-backs Wesley Fofana, Kalidou Koulibaly and Benoit Badiashile this season.
    But with Thiago Silva aged 38, Gvardiol is seen as a potential long-term replacement.
    Most read in Bundesliga
    BETTING SPECIAL – BEST SPORTS BETTING APPS IN THE UK
    Chelsea also have strong links to RB Leipzig, with them hoping to sign his team-mate Christopher Nkunku and the Blues’ technical director is Christopher Vivell, who they pinched from the Germans.
    Meanwhile, Liverpool are also interested in Gvardiol but rumours suggest they could be put off by the fee.
    Jurgen Klopp’s priority is revamping his midfield.
    They have been linked with the likes of Jude Bellingham and Mason Mount. More