More stories

  • in

    Watch Joao Cancelo’s shocked reaction as he finds out about Julian Nagelsmann’s Bayern sacking in live TV interview

    BAYERN MUNICH star Joao Cancelo was left stunned after being informed of Julian Nagelsmann’s sacking during a live TV interview.The defender is on loan from Manchester City and he revealed Nageslmann was a big reason for his switch.
    Joao Cancelo was shocked to learn of Julian Nagelsmann’s dismissal
    Nagelsmann was sacked with Bayern Munich second in the BundesligaCredit: Getty
    Thomas Tuchel is expected to take over as Bayern managerCredit: Getty
    Bayern sacked the German on Thursday evening while Cancelo scored for Portugal in their 4-0 win over Liechtenstein.
    So the full-back was unaware of the news when he gave his post-match interview, but wished the 35-year-old manager well.
    He told SPORT TV: “I didn’t know. I’m a bit surprised, yes. I want to thank Mr Nagelsmann because he was the one who wanted me at Bayern.
    “It was the management that wanted me. This caught me by surprise but all the luck in the world to him.
    READ MORE IN FOOTBALL
    “When I arrive, I will try to fit in as much as possible with the concepts of the new coach.
    “I hope that everything goes well because we have many important games – we are going to enter the decisive phase of the season and Bayern is a team that, at the individual and collective level, is always ready to win it all.”
    Former Chelsea boss Thomas Tuchel has reportedly been appointed Nagelsmann’s successor.
    And Cancelo is supportive of the move following Tuchel’s success in winning the Champions League in 2021.
    Most read in Bundesliga
    FREE BETS AND SIGN UP DEALS – BEST NEW CUSTOMER OFFERS
    Asked about his arrival, Cancelo said: “As for Tuchel, he made me lose a Champions League final, so I hope he will win it for me this year.”
    Tuchel has previously had spells at Paris Saint-Germain, Borussia Dortmund and Mainz.
    He was believed to be in advanced talks with Tottenham about replacing Antonio Conte before Bayern swooped in. More

  • in

    How Bayern Munich could line up under Thomas Tuchel with German raiding Chelsea for three stars including Mason Mount

    THOMAS TUCHEL is set to be named as Bayern Munich’s new boss following the reported sacking of Julian Nagelsmann. The ex-Chelsea boss will be inheriting one of Europe’s strongest squads, but he will be expected to put his own twist on things come the summer.
    Thomas Tuchel is set to be named as Bayern Munich’s new bossCredit: Getty
    Harry Kane and Mason Mount have been heavily linked with exit’s from their respective clubs
    With this in mind, SunSport have taken a look at how Tuchel may line up his Bayern Munich outfit.
    The German had particular favourites at Chelsea, with many of them now out of favour.
    Mason Mount is one such star and could consequently be signed by Tuchel for his Bayern midfield.
    With Thomas Muller now 33 years old – not that he is showing signs of slowing down – a long-term replacement in attacking midfield could be needed.
    READ MORE ON CHELSEA
    Harry Kane is also a long-term target for Bayern, and could also be signed alongside the Englishman.
    Joao Cancelo could also be brought in on a permanent deal to complete a hat-trick of Prem signings.
    Another look at a Bayern team under Tuchel could see a huge raid on ex-club Chelsea.
    Winger Christian Pulisic has been linked heavily with an exit, and has previously played in the Bundesliga.
    Most read in Bundesliga
    Tuchel may opt to raid ex-club Chelsea
    FREE BETS AND SIGN UP DEALS – BEST NEW CUSTOMER OFFERS
    Elsewhere, Pierre-Emerick Aubameyang is set to leave the club after falling out of favour.
    He has already been signed twice by Tuchel, so Bayern could make it a hat-trick.
    The pair could be brought in alongside Mount.
    An alternative look could see Mount brought in once again, with Neymar brought in on the wing with him linked with the exit door at Paris Saint-Germain.
    Neymar could be brought in as part of Tuchel’s plan More

  • in

    Bayern Munich ‘appoint Thomas Tuchel as new manager’ in stunning move after sacking Julian Nagelsmann

    BAYERN MUNICH have reportedly sacked Julian Nagelsmann – with Thomas Tuchel stepping into replace him.It follows an incredible turn of events for the German giants on Thursday night.
    Ex-Chelsea chief Thomas Tuchel is said to have come straight in as Bayern managerCredit: Getty
    Bayern are axing boss Julian Nagelsmann despite doing well in EuropeCredit: AP
    Ex-PSG chief Tuchel will take over seven months after Chelsea surprisingly axed him, according to German publication Bild.
    He’s tipped to take charge of training on Monday and face his former club Borussia Dortmund in his opening match on Saturday, April 1.
    Champions Bayern are a point adrift of Dortmund in the Bundesliga.
    But they sailed into the Champions League quarter-finals with a 3-0 aggregate triumph over PSG.
    READ MORE TOP FOOTBALL
    Manchester City await them next month.
    Ex-RB Leipzig chief Nagelsmann, 35, guided Bayern to the domestic crown last season after taking over in April 2021.
    But earlier on Thursday he admitted he had heard rumours he would be axed but denied having been contacted by club chiefs.
    And at the start of the week he hinted at internal problems – after admitting a dressing-room mole was leaking tactics.
    Most read in Bundesliga
    HOW TO GET FREE BETS ON FOOTBALL
    He was furious after Bild published a team plan, including his own detailed notes.
    Nagelsmann hit out: “It bothers me a lot.
    “What is the person who transmits this looking for? What are you waiting for?
    “I don’t see what his motivation could be, beyond facilitating the task for the adversary.”
    Tuchel had been linked with the Spurs job with Antonio Conte said to be facing the sack during the international break.
    He returns to Germany six years after he left Dortmund to take over Paris St-Germain.
    The 49-year-old spent two years in Paris before leaving under a cloud. He spent a year at Chelsea, winning the Champions League, before being sacked by Todd Boehly soon after the American took over the Blues. More

  • in

    I’m a professional footballer for Bayern Munch and live a cool life – but after training I have nothing to do

    BAYERN MUNICH star Alphonso Davies has opened up on the pros and cons that come with being a football superstar. The 22-year-old is among the hottest properties in world football, and widely regarded as one of the best left-backs on the planet.
    Alphonso Davies has given an insight as to what life is like a professional footballerCredit: Getty
    The 2020 Champions League winner said being a pro is “very cool” – but there are plenty of drawbacksCredit: EPA
    Davies admitted he often has “nothing to do” after he finishes trainingCredit: Instagram / @alphonsodavies
    But, according to Davies, while life as a footballer is “very cool” there are plenty of downsides.
    He split from his football pro girlfriend Jordyn Huitema last year after five-years of dating and is currently single.
    And he admitted living as a professional football star is harder than what people might think.
    The Canadian international revealed there is “nothing to do” once his Bayern Munich training is finished.
    read more football news
    He also confessed that he is far from a social butterfly, and only has five friends.
    Speaking before breaking up with his long-term partner, Davies said on his Twitch channel: “Life as a professional footballer is very cool, no doubt.
    “To chill and enjoy life. But after training, there’s nothing to do.”
    Davies was born in a refugee camp in Ghana after his family fled civil war in Liberia.
    Most read in Football
    FREE BETS AND SIGN UP DEALS – BEST NEW CUSTOMER OFFERS
    He spent the first five years of his life in the camp before settling in Edmonton, Canada.
    The full-back continued: “For me, because I don’t have a family and my girlfriend not living with me, I’m by myself.
    “It’s a little bit worrying not having something to do and especially when all your friends have work.
    “I probably have like five friends. I’m a popular loser.” More

  • in

    Man Utd and Newcastle in Gabri Veiga transfer boost as Celta Vigo give up on trying to keep midfielder

    CELTA VIGO will find it “impossible” to hold on to Manchester United and Newcastle target Gabri Veiga, reports suggest.Veiga has shone bright this season in LaLiga as he has bagged nine goals and three assists in 29 appearances across all competitions.
    Celta Vigo can’t keep Manchester United and Newcastle target Gabri VeigaCredit: Getty
    The attacking midfielder has a contract with Celta until 2026 but club president Carlos Mourino confirmed that he won’t be able to keep him at the Balaidos this summer.
    Mourino insists he wants hold on to the 20-year-old ace but his £35million release clause won’t allow him.
    Some of Europe’s top hitters have already matched the Spain Under-21 international’s asking price and Celta won’t be able to counter them with a better offer.
    Mourino said: “We want to keep Gabri Veiga but it will be impossible due to release clause.
    Read More on Man Utd
    “We know some bids he has, impossible to match”.
    United and the Magpies are keeping tabs on Veiga ahead of the summer transfer window.
    However, the Red Devils and Newcastle will face competition from Bundesliga clubs.
    Transfer expert Fabrizio Romano also claims Real Madrid are eyeing the Spaniard.
    Most read in Football
    FREE BETS AND SIGN UP DEALS – BEST NEW CUSTOMER OFFERS
    Veiga started out in Celta’s academy after a short stint at Santa Marina.
    The playmaker earned his first senior call-up at the age of 18 years old and shared his time between the first team as well as the reserves.
    However, Veiga has burst onto the scene this season and appears to be set for bigger things come June. More

  • in

    Chelsea frontrunners to hire scout who discovered Man Utd transfer target Jeremie Frimpong at Bayer Leverkusen

    CHELSEA are reportedly keen on hiring ex-Bayer Leverkusen chief scout Tim Steidten.The 43-year-old recently left the Bundesliga outfit.
    Chelsea are reportedly keen on ex-Bayer Leverkusen scout Tim SteidtenCredit: Getty
    Steidten is reportedly responsible for recruiting Manchester United target Jeremie Frimpong at LeverkusenCredit: Getty
    And Chelsea are the frontrunners to recruit him, according to Foot Mercato.
    It was reported by Bild last week that Steidten left Leverkusen in order to pursue a new challenge next season.
    He is said to have left with immediate effect in order to avoid a potential conflict of interest in any future transfers.
    The Blues have been linked with Steidten in the past.
    Read More in Football
    And reports suggest owner Todd Boehly is keen on bringing in the esteemed talent spotter.
    AS Monaco and Liverpool are also said to be interested in Steidten, although it’s claimed Chelsea are the current frontrunners for his signature.
    Get French Football News say Steidten is credited with recruiting current Manchester United target Jeremie Frimpong from Celtic in 2021.
    It’s also thought he is responsible for discovering Arsenal and Newcastle linked winger Moussa Diaby, as well as the likes of Florian Wirtz and Edmond Tapsoba.
    Most read in Football
    FREE BETS AND SIGN UP DEALS – BEST NEW CUSTOMER OFFERS
    The Red Devils are reportedly keen on signing Leverkusen right-back Frimpong.
    The 22-year-old has scored seven goals and laid on nine assists in 35 games this season from right-back. More

  • in

    Man Utd transfer target Randal Kolo Muani drops biggest hint yet over £105m summer move from Eintracht Frankfurt

    MANCHESTER UNITED transfer target Randal Kolo Muani has dropped the biggest hint yet he could move to the club. The French forward has been on United’s radar ahead of a possible summer move.
    Randal Kolo Muani has dropped a big hint he may leave Eintracht Frankfurt in the summerCredit: Getty
    Kolo Muani is enjoying a strong season in the Bundesliga
    The transfer could see the Red Devils fork out £105million to prise him away from Oliver Glasner’s Eintracht Frankfurt.
    And the 24-year-old forward has given the biggest hint yet that he may move in the summer.
    Speaking to French publication L’Equipe, he said: “We talk about it a lot already, but I try to be focused on my club.
    “We continue our performances and we will see this summer. Afterwards, I always dreamed of playing in big clubs.”
    READ MORE ON MAN UTD
    Kolo Muani has scored 16 goals and added 12 assists for Frankfurt this season, which has followed a 16-goal and assist league season with Nantes in Ligue 1.
    This has also seen him court interest from the likes of Paris Saint-Germain and Bayern Munich.
    On his strong form, Muani said: “I thought I was going to need some time to adapt, maybe a year. But everything exploded. Either way, I’m ready for any challenge.
    “I ask the club to get me my statistics on my matches each time. I share this with my physical trainer to know what to improve.
    Most read in Football
    FREE BETS AND SIGN UP DEALS – BEST NEW CUSTOMER OFFERS
    “I do a lot of goals and assists, but it’s not at the level where I should be. I still miss quite a bit. This is only my third (full) season as a pro.”
    His form saw him called up by France for the World Cup in Qatar, a few short months after he made his international debut.
    He made a strong impression in appearances off the bench in the semi-final and final.
    The Frenchman netted a killing blow in the semi-final victory over Morocco, while he picked up an assist in the final against Argentina.
    However, he was denied the chance to win the World Cup when Emiliano Martinez saved his shot in extra time which later saw him subjected to vile racist abuse. More

  • in

    Chaos in Bundesliga as Bayer Leverkusen star is booked for diving twice before VAR overturns both to give penalties

    MANY hate it, but Bayer Leverkusen star Amine Adli is absolutely loving VAR right now.The Frenchman would have been looking at a suspension after TWICE being booked for diving in Sunday’s victory over Bayern Munich.
    Amine Adli was firstly booked for this ‘dive’ against Bayern MunichCredit: Sky Sports
    Moments after that decision was overturned the Leverkusen ace was booked again after being fouledCredit: Sky Sports

    However, both times the official at the helm of the video technology intervened to not only overturn the decisions but to award Leverkusen a penalty.
    Bayern were leading through Josh Kimmich when the first incident occurred in the 53rd-minute when Adli was clipped by Benjamin Pavard.
    Referee Tobias Stieler instantly waved away the protests and issued a caution to the 22-year-old attacker.
    Fortunately, VAR jumped in and after he had checked the pitchside monitor, Stieler overturned his original decision, wiping out the yellow and awarding a spot-kick that was dispatched by Exequiel Palacios.
    READ MORE ON FOOTBALL
    Adli shook the official’s hand – but he was raging with him again in the 70th-minute when he was booked again for simulation.
    But once again it was determined that he had in fact been fouled as the yellow was rescinded and a penalty awarded.
    It was Palacios that stepped forward for a second time to convert and seal a 2-1 win for Xabi Alonso’s Leverkusen in the Bundesliga clash.
    Adli was not the only one to be relieved after VAR’s involvement – ref Stieler was too.
    Most read in Football
    FREE BETS AND SIGN UP DEALS – BEST NEW CUSTOMER OFFERS
    He said afterwards: “He was my lifesaver – and also the lifesaver for the game.
    “In the end, both teams were happy because the right decision was made.
    “The only thing left to do is take it with humour.
    “We hugged each other during the game and also after the game. Now he promised me the shirt.”
    Leverkusen’s Amine Adli did eventually have a hug for the referee at full timeCredit: AP More