More stories

  • in

    Man Utd boss Erik ten Hag opens door to second Frenkie de Jong transfer bid this summer to build incredible midfield

    ERIK TEN HAG has opened the door to a shock second bid for Frenkie de Jong this summer.The Manchester United boss had an offer of £56.2million accepted by Barcelona last year but the midfielder refused to move until he had settled an issue over back-dated wages and the deal collapsed.
    Frenkie de Jong is preparing to face Man Utd on Thursday but the Barcelona star could yet move to Old Trafford next summerCredit: Rex
    Ten Hag said: “Frenkie is an incredible player and for every club in the whole world he will strengthen the squad because he has a unique quality.
    “If you can get him in the squad your team will be stronger.”
    The boss added that the Dutch international would bring a flair to any side as he did for him in Ajax and now does for Barcelona.
    He said: “I think we had a team in 2019 with a lot of fascination and he brings a lot of fascination.
    READ MORE ON MAN UTD
    “He has developed and, in Spain, become even better.
    “He’s a fantastic player, plays out from the back, he always has time and it was a pleasure to work with him.”
    It comes after Barca chief Xavi insisted De Jong never wanted to depart last summer.
    The Spaniard said: “He was very clear with me. He wanted to stay with us and there was no doubt.
    Most read in Football
    “He is our player and I am very happy and satisfied with his performance and leadership.”
    Ten Hag’s Red Devils face Barcelona on Thursday in the first leg of their play-off tie in the Nou Camp to get into the last 16 of the Europa League.
    And they will be without the one midfielder they DID sign in January.
    Loanee Marcel Sabitzer is ineligible as he played for parent club Bayern Munich in the Champions League group stage. More

  • in

    How Man Utd’s star man Rashford ‘nearly joined BARCELONA in 2019 with his brothers meeting club THREE TIMES’

    MARCUS RASHFORD nearly joined Barcelona in 2019, according to reports.The Manchester United star has been ever present for the Red Devils since breaking into the first team in 2016.
    Marcus Rashford turned down an approach from Barcelona in 2019Credit: Getty
    Rashford’s brothers met with Barcelona to discuss a potential moveCredit: marcusrashford
    But four years ago his career almost took a different direction amid interest from Barcelona.
    The Spanish giants were looking for a replacement for Luis Suarez and wanted a young player they could mould into their style of play.
    They liked the look of Rashford due to his age and the fact he only had 18 months remaining on his contract, which meant he may have been affordable.
    Then Barca general manager Pep Segura approached Rashford’s agent and his brothers to sound out a potential move, according to Mundo Deportivo.
    READ MORE ON MAN UTD
    Three meetings took place between Barcelona and Rashford’s representatives but a transfer never came to fruition.
    Rashford was believed to have been worried about moving to such a big club when he was only 21-years-old.
    He reportedly held concerns over adapting the language, culture and playing style at Barcelona.
    Rashford decided to stay at Old Trafford and soon after renewed his contract.
    Most read in Football
    HOW TO GET FREE BETS ON FOOTBALL
    The 25-year-old penned a four-and-a-half-year deal worth £250,000-a-week with the option of an extra year. More

  • in

    Liverpool’s ‘worst ever signing’ finds new club as he joins ex-Barcelona and Napoli stars in Turkey

    LAZAR MARKOVIC, who’s dubbed Liverpool’s WORST ever signing, has found a new club in Turkey – joining ex-Barcelona and Napoli stars at Trabzonspor.The 28-year-old made a £22million switch to the Reds from Benfica in 2014.
    Liverpool flop Lazar Markovic has made a transfer to Turkish team TrabzonsporCredit: PA:Empics Sport
    The 28-year-old had a horrible stint at Liverpool following a £22m transferCredit: Getty
    However, the Serbia international only went on to make 34 appearances for the Anfield club, scoring three and assisting on.
    His failure to stamp down a place in the first-team saw the winger go out on loan four times, playing for Fenerbahce, Sporting Lisbon, Hull City and Anderlecht.
    Markovic then joined Fulham on a free transfer in January 2019, but only lasted six months at the club before being let go to head back to boyhood club Partizan.
    The 22-cap player then spent just under three years at Partizan before making a switch to Turkish side Gaziantep last summer.
    Read more in football
    Markovic has been dubbed Liverpool’s WORST ever signing by some, but after an uptake in form in the Turkish league, he has earned a move to Trabzonspor, where he will play alongside former Barca and Napoli stars, according to journalist Yagız Sabuncuoglu.
    He will play alongside Napoli legend Marek Hamsik.
    The 35-year-old joined the Turkish team in 2021.
    Hamsik has played 22 times for Trabzonspor this season, scoring two and assisting one.
    Most read in Football
    BETTING SPECIAL – BEST FOOTBALL BETTING SITES IN THE UK
    Former Barca defender Marc Bartra is also playing his trade at Trabzonspor.
    The 32-year-old made the move from Real Betis last summer for a minimal fee. More

  • in

    Man Utd warned about Barcelona’s ‘surprising’ new tactic ahead of Europa League clash in huge style change

    MANCHESTER UNITED have been issued a warning about a “surprising” new tactic being used by Barcelona.The Red Devils travel to the Nou Camp for the first of a two-legged Europa League play-off on Thursday.
    Erik ten Hag takes Manchester United to Barcelona on ThursdayCredit: Getty
    He has been warned about a new ‘surprising’ tactic being used by BarcaCredit: Rex
    Both teams go into the showdown in impressive form.
    United have recorded five wins out of their last six matches while Barcelona are 11 points clear at the top of LaLiga.
    Spanish star Pedri, 20, secured their latest victory as they triumphed 1-0 at Villarreal on Sunday.
    The Yellow Submarine are managed by Quique Setien, who was in charge of the Blaugrana in 2020, and it is he who has highlighted the new tactic being deployed by his old club.
    READ MORE ON MAN UTD
    Speaking to Mundo Deportivo, he said: “There is something that this Barcelona team has changed a lot, which is without the ball.
    “The data is there, Barcelona are the team that runs the most without the ball.

    “Seems surprising, doesn’t it?”
    Both Pedri and Gavi have played a key role in the resurgence of Barca this term as head coach Xavi puts a greater emphasis on the distance covered by his players and pressing the opposition.
    Most read in Football
    FREE BETS AND SIGN UP DEALS – BEST NEW CUSTOMER OFFERS
    He even said that striker Robert Lewandowski is his “first defender” after Sunday’s win.
    And that is something that his United counterpart Erik ten Hag will have to ensure his team are ready to deal with.
    However, Barcelona have suffered one major blow in the build-up to the game.
    Their influential captain and midfield maestro Sergio Busquets has been ruled out of the clash after suffering an ankle injury recently against Sevilla. More

  • in

    Lionel Messi ‘leaning towards snubbing new PSG contract and QUITTING club’ in shock summer transfer

    LIONEL MESSI is leaning towards leaving PSG on a free transfer this summer, according to reports.The Argentine World Cup winner arrived in the French capital in August 2021 having spent his entire career at Barcelona.
    Lionel Messi in action for PSG during their French Cup defeat to Marseille with his future at the club up in the airCredit: Getty
    Recent reports had indicated that a possible contract renewal was on the cards.
    But Foot Mercato report that, although extending his stay in Paris remains an option, it does not appear to be the seven-time Ballon d’Or winner’s priority.
    David Beckham’s MLS side Inter Miami are known admirers and there have been persistent rumours of a return to Barca.
    A lucrative move to join old rival Cristiano Ronaldo is Saudi Arabia, however, does seem to be off the cards for now.
    Read More Football News
    Messi, 35, has his eyes on the Copa America in 2024 and is determined to play at a high level to keep his sharpness.
    Messi struggled in his first season with the French giants notching six goals in 26 appearances in Ligue 1 although fared better in the Champions League with five goals in seven matches.
    The diminutive Argentine is enjoying a much better second season and so far has 10 goals and 10 assists in 18 Ligue 1 matches with four goals in five matches in the Champions League.
    PSG are currently sweating on Messi’s fitness as they prepare for the first leg of their Champions League last-16 tie against Bayern Munich.
    Most read in Football
    BETTING SPECIAL – BEST FOOTBALL BETTING SITES IN THE UK
    The star forward picked up a hamstring injury as PSG were eliminated from the French Cup by arch rivals Marseille last week.
    The Parisians sit five points clear of Marseille at the top of Ligue 1. More

  • in

    Man Utd, Liverpool & Newcastle ‘in straight fight for Ruben Neves transfer as Barcelona pull out of race for Wolves ace’

    MANCHESTER UNITED, Liverpool and Newcastle are reportedly “in a straight fight” to sign Ruben Neves this summer.Wolverhampton Wanderers’ Portuguese midfielder, 25, has been heavily linked with a move to Barcelona over recent months.
    Barcelona have reportedly pulled out of the race to sign Ruben NevesCredit: Reuters
    However, a fresh report has now claimed that the LaLiga giants have pulled out of the transfer race.
    And now that has left the Premier League trio of United, Liverpool and Newcastle battling it out for his signature.
    Spanish publication Sport reports that Neves’ agent Jorge Mendes met with Barcelona officials last week.
    But he was allegedly informed during the talks that Xavi’s side are prioritising strengthening in other positions.
    READ MORE ON MAN UTD
    They want to secure the future of veteran Sergio Busquets, who is out of contract, also.
    And even if they fail to do that, the publication claims that Xavi “prefers the profile of another type of midfielder” rather than Neves.
    The ace arrived at Molineux from Porto back in 2017 and has helped the club to consolidate in the Premier League after winning the Championship in his first season there.
    He now has less than 18 months remaining on his contract, and rather than risk losing him for nothing in 2024, Wolves look set to sell this summer.
    Most read in Football
    HOW TO GET FREE BETS ON FOOTBALL
    United boss Erik ten Hag has long-been rumoured to be an admirer of the player, as is Kop manager Jurgen Klopp.
    But high-flying Newcastle are the latest team to join the scramble to sign Neves. More

  • in

    Arsenal ‘open transfer talks’ with teenage Brazil striker Vitor Roque in bid to beat Chelsea, Barcelona and PSG

    ARSENAL have reportedly “opened talks” with Athletico Paranaense over a deal for Brazilian teenager Vitor Roque.The young striker, 17, is currently representing his country at U20 level at the South American age group championships.
    Vitor Roque has scored six goals at the South American U20 ChampionshipsCredit: AFP
    And he has been one of the star players to come out of the tournament, scoring six goals on the road to the final – which takes place between Brazil and Uruguay on Sunday night.
    Roque turns 18 later this month, meaning he will be eligible to move to Europe in the summer transfer window.
    And he has been linked with a host of huge clubs including Barcelona, Chelsea, Paris Saint-Germain and Newcastle.
    According to Goal, Barcelona are leading the way in the race to secure his signature.
    READ MORE ON ARSENAL
    They believe he is a suitable replacement for Memphis Depay.
    But the same report states that Arsenal’s sporting director Edu has approached the player’s agent about a potential deal.
    However, the Gunners will be forced to pay a substantial fee if they are to bring the talented forward to the Emirates.
    Athletico Paranaense are said to be holding out for his release clause of £53million.
    Most read in Football
    FREE BETS AND SIGN UP DEALS – BEST NEW CUSTOMER OFFERS
    Known as “Tigrinho” in Brazil, Roque has already been likened to legendary striker Ronaldo and Uruguayan forward Luis Suarez.
    He has made 36 appearances for Paranaense, contributing seven goals and three assists.
    On top of his club form, he has bagged six goals in nine appearances for Brazil’s U20s. More

  • in

    Chelsea outcast scuppers their transfer plans by snubbing exit after ‘club agreed loan’ to stay and fight for place

    PIERRE EMERICK-AUBAMEYANG has snubbed the chance to leave Chelsea for the MLS.Aubameyang, 33, was lured to Chelsea by Thomas Tuchel last summer despite enjoying a fine spell at Barcelona.
    Pierre-Emerick Aubameyang has snubbed a move to the MLSCredit: Alamy
    Graham potter has left the striker out of his Champions League squadCredit: Getty
    The pair knew each other well from their time together at Borussia Dortmund.
    And it was hoped that ex-Arsenal captain Aubameyang could be the man to fire Tuchel’s side to silverware.
    But the veteran managed just one game before his pal was axed by Todd Boehly and he has suffered since after netting just three times in 17 games since Graham Potter replaced the German..
    After falling down the Stamford Bridge pecking order, the striker’s latest blow came when he was axed from Chelsea’s 25-man Champions League squad.
    READ MORE ON CHELSEA
    However, there was hope that Aubameyang’s career could be reignited after American outfit LAFC made an approach and Chelsea agreed to let him go there on loan.
    But now The Telegraph have claimed that the ex Barcelona star has rejected the opportunity to go to America.
    And instead he would rather stay and try and fight for his place at Stamford Bridge.
    The Gabon star had been hoping to rejoin Barcelona in January.
    Most read in Football
    FREE BETS AND SIGN UP DEALS – BEST NEW CUSTOMER OFFERS
    There were no other options at the time as Aubameyang was not able to pay for a third club in the same season.
    And that appears to have left him in limbo with Potter hardly giving him a sniff in the starting XI. More