More stories

  • in

    Man City star Bernardo Silva wanted by Barcelona in summer transfer ‘as Pep Guardiola demands £57.5m for midfielder’

    BERNARDO SILVA remains a transfer target for Barcelona, reports claim.The Spanish giants have been linked with the Manchester City star in the last two transfer windows.
    Bernardo Silva is a reported transfer target for BarcelonaCredit: EPA
    And, finances allowing, they will step up their efforts to sign him at the end of the season, according to Sport.
    A transfer last summer wasn’t possible as Frenkie de Jong ended up staying at Barcelona amid strong interest from Manchester United.
    City then reportedly rejected a £62million bid in January as they did not want to lose Silva, 28, mid-season.
    But Sport say a £57.5m offer at the end of the campaign would be enough to secure his signature.
    Read More In Football
    City are reported to have told Silva’s agent Jorge Mendes that a £57.5m offer would be accepted.
    Silva, who came off the bench to score in City’s 2-0 win over Newcastle on Saturday, is claimed to be open to a move.
    He will have two years left on his Etihad deal at the end of the season.
    And the Portuguese playmaker is eyeing a new challenge after six years in Manchester.
    Most read in Football
    FREE BETS AND SIGN UP DEALS – BEST NEW CUSTOMER OFFERS
    He told Record earlier this year: “I’m very focused on this season and it doesn’t make sense to talk about leaving because we’re in the middle of the season.”
    He added: “I won’t hide that my goal in the coming years, if something good happens elsewhere, will probably be to move to a new project.”
    However, funding a move for Silva could be difficult.
    Barcelona have effectively been hit with a transfer ban this summer because of their financial woes.
    Speaking at the FT Business of Football summit in London, LaLiga chief executive Javier Tebas confirmed: “As of today, Barcelona doesn’t have any room in its budget to spend in the upcoming transfer window.
    “Barcelona has been involved in questionable behaviour which has had an impact on LaLiga – and we are acting accordingly.” More

  • in

    Barcelona star Frenkie de Jong ‘finally keen on Man Utd transfer.. thanks to former El Clasico rival’

    BARCELONA star Frenkie de Jong is finally keen on a transfer to Manchester United with the player keen to play alongside a former El Clasico rival, according to reports.The Red Devils launched a summer bid for De Jong, 25, last year but were unsuccessful in their attempts to reunite the midfielder with his former Ajax boss, Erik ten Hag.
    Frenkie de Jong is said to be keen on a move to Man UtdCredit: Rex
    However, following Champions League and Europa League exits, De Jong is now keen to join Man Utd, according to talkSPORT.
    De Jong is also interested in the prospect of playing alongside ex-Real Madrid ace Casemiro.
    Ten Hag is hopeful Old Trafford’s “feel-good factor” will influence De Jong’s decision.
    The player got to witness the Old Trafford atmosphere last week in Barca’s 2-1 Europa League defeat.
    READ MORE ON MAN UTD
    Barca’s financial situation is still in a state, which could play into United’s hands.
    The Catalan giants are under renewed pressure to reduce their wage bill.
    And they’re not able to sign any new players in the summer.
    Barca are said to need close to £200million from selling current players if they are to have any chance of entering the transfer market this summer. 
    Most read in Premier League
    BETTING SPECIAL – BEST FOOTBALL BETTING SITES IN THE UK
    Speaking about De Jong in February, Ten Hag gushed: ‘Frenkie is an incredible player.
    “For every club in the whole world, he will strengthen the squad because he has a unique quality.
    “If you can get him in the squad your team will be stronger.
    “We (Ajax) had a class in 2019 that was a team with a lot of fascination.
    “He brings a lot of fascination and he develops, and in Spain he became even better.
    “He’s a fantastic player. He plays out from the back, he always has time and it was a pleasure to work with him.”
    De Jong would like to play alongside CasemiroCredit: AFP More

  • in

    Sergio Busquets breaks Lionel Messi’s El Clasico record during Barcelona’s 1-0 win over Real Madrid

    SERGIO BUSQUETS broke Lionel Messi’s record for the most appearances in El Clasico.The veteran midfielder made his 46th appearance in the glamorous fixture as Barcelona beat Real Madrid.
    Sergio Busquets has made the most amount of appearances in El Clasico (46)Credit: Getty
    Lionel Messi and Sergio Ramos both made 45 appearances in the fixtureCredit: AFP
    Eder Militao’s own goal in the 26th minute handed Barcelona the advantage in a heated Copa del Rey semi-final ahead of the second leg at the Nou Camp on April 5.
    However, the victory was made sweeter for Busquets as he surpassed Messi’s record of 45 appearances.
    The 34-year-old played the full 90 minutes and captained the side during their win.
    Former Los Blancos star Sergio Ramos also held the record for playing 45 times in the fixture.

    Busquets has been a regular in the fixture since he broke into the first team in 2008 from the youth academy.
    He has won 22 of the 46 games against Madrid, losing 16 and drawing eight.
    Despite the midfielder never scoring in the clash, he did get the assist for Messi’s iconic goal in the Champions League semi-final tie back in 2011.
    Busquets laid the ball off for the Argentine, who then ran half the length of the pitch before finishing past Iker Casillas.
    Most read in Football
    BETTING SPECIAL – BEST FOOTBALL BETTING SITES IN THE UK
    The Spaniard could add two more appearances to his record before the end of the season, with the clubs also having a league LaLiga to play.
    However, his record could end at 48 as he is expected to leave Barcelona at the end of the season.
    Busquets has been linked with a move to the MLS and Saudi Arabia. More

  • in

    Barcelona slapped with summer transfer ban with LaLiga refusing to let them register players over FFP breaches

    BARCELONA have been placed under a transfer ban this summer because of their inability to rein in costs.La Liga chief executive Javier Tebas revealed that Barca’s “questionable behaviour” had put the Catalan giants on Spanish football’s naughty step.
    Barcelona boss Xavi doesn’t look like he will be signing any players this summerCredit: AFP
    LaLiga president Javier Tebas claims Barcelona will not be able to sign players in the summerCredit: Getty
    Barca have spent wildly in recent years and tried to balance the book by effectively mortgaging future TV and other incomes by selling off a stake in the club.
    Now the Nou Camp side is embroiled in another row after it emerged they had allegedly been paying off a senior member of Spanish football’s refereeing hierarchy over multiple seasons.
    And speaking at the FT Business of Football summit in London, Tebas confirmed: “As of today, Barcelona doesn’t have any room in its budget to spend in the upcoming transfer window.
    “Barcelona has been involved in questionable behaviour which has had an impact on LaLiga – and we are acting accordingly.”
    READ MORE IN FOOTBALL
    Tebas added: “We have ruled that they can no longer sign more players.
    “They sold off €700m in TV rights and tried to find different ways to solve the situation.

    “But they won’t be able to do that next season.
    “We have strict economic controls. At the end of each window, we tell all the clubs in La Liga what they can spend.
    Most read in Football
    FREE BETS AND SIGN UP DEALS – BEST NEW CUSTOMER OFFERS
    “In the case of Barcelona, they have to drop from spending on wages and transfers from €650m to €450m – so it’s a budget of minus €200m.
    “They have to reduce their investment in players and we have encouraged them to sell players because for every amount they raise in sales they can spend 40 per cent of that.”
    As for the refereeing corruption scandal, Tebas added: “It doesn’t matter that it’s Barcelona – it’s about the reputation of LaLiga as a competition.
    “This is a very serious issue. The statute of limitations has run out but we are acting on the criminality side of things.
    “Barcelona has a lot to explain about these payments.” More

  • in

    Man City facing fight to keep hold of Bernardo Silva with his future ‘not clear’ as Barcelona circle for attacker

    BERNARDO SILVA could be on his way to Barcelona with his Manchester City future up in the air, according to reports. The Portuguese star has been tracked by Barcelona for some time and was wanted in a £70million transfer last summer.
    Bernardo Silva could be on his way to BarcelonaCredit: AP
    However, this move failed, and fast forward eight months the La Liga leaders are once again set to try and land the 28-year-old.
    According to The Telegraph, Silva’s future at the club is “uncertain.”
    And Spanish outlet Sport have reported Silva’s intention is to leave the Premier League.
    Silva has once again enjoyed a strong season at the Etihad, scoring three goals and adding five assists in 23 Premier League games.
    READ MORE IN FOOTBALL
    But with the Cityzens falling behind in the title race to Arsenal, Pep Guardiola has reshuffled his tactical layout.
    This has seen Silva deployed like an auxiliary left-back, filling in and helping City in buildup from their defensive third.
    Despite the change in position, Silva has continued to excel, ranking well in a number of metrics.
    These include ranking ninth in the division for progressive carries, 13th in goal-creating actions and 17th for tackles in the middle third.
    Most read in Football
    FREE BETS AND SIGN UP DEALS – BEST NEW CUSTOMER OFFERS
    Silva would likely fit Xavi’s system at Barcelona well, explaining their long-term interest.
    However, they will need to pay up the reported £71m asking price (€80m).
    Should the Blaugrana fail in their attempts to land Silva, Sport’s report suggests Real Madrid and Paris Saint-Germain are both interested.
    Meanwhile, City could replace Silva with Chelsea star Mateo Kovacic. More

  • in

    Arsenal set to suffer Vitor Roque transfer blow with 18-year-old Athletico Paranaense wonderkid wanting Barcelona move

    ARSENAL are set to miss out on Brazilian wonderkid Vitor Roque as he has stated his desire to join Barcelona.The Spanish giants have been leading the race for the Athletico Paranaense forward, who turned 18 on Tuesday.
    Brazil’s Vitor Roque score six goals at the U20 South American ChampionshipCredit: AP
    He has made 37 appearances for Paranaense, contributing seven goals and three assists.
    On top of his club form, he has bagged six goals in 11 appearances for Brazil’s U20s – all of which came at the South American championships earlier this year.
    Arsenal are among a host of other clubs chasing his signature, including Chelsea, Paris Saint-Germain and Newcastle.
    However, it now seems unlikely he will move anywhere but the Nou Camp after recent remarks about the Catalan club and striker Robert Lewandowski.
    READ MORE IN FOOTBALL
    Speaking to Sport, he said: “I feel ready to make the move to Barcelona, of course. It would be amazing to play with Lewandowski.
    “Barcelona is a dream. If I end up there, it will be a great joy for my family and me. It’d be a fantastic move.”
    Known as ‘Tigrinho’ – or ‘Little Tiger’ – in Brazil, Roque has already been likened to legendary striker Ronaldo and Uruguayan forward Luis Suarez.
    And he is not expected to go cheaply as his Paranaense contract contains a £53million release clause.
    Most read in Football
    FREE BETS AND SIGN UP DEALS – BEST NEW CUSTOMER OFFERS
    Former Brazil, Portugal and Chelsea boss Luiz Felipe Scolari, who is now technical director for Paranaense, has made it clear Roque is set to leave.
    The 74-year-old said: “Vitor will probably be sold.
    “He’s 17 years old and has a lot to learn on the pitch. But he’s been playing in the Campeonato Brasileiro and the Copa Libertadores since he was 16.” More

  • in

    Man Utd still want Frenkie de Jong transfer this summer as Barcelona midfielder impresses in Europa League clash

    MANCHESTER UNITED remain keen on signing Frenkie De Jong, according to reports. De Jong and Man Utd were in a well-documented transfer saga last summer, with the midfielder ultimately rejecting a move in order to fight for his spot at Barcelona.
    Manchester United remain keen on signing Frenkie de JongCredit: Getty
    De Jong showed off his press resistance in the home leg of the Europa League clash
    However, Erik ten Hag has remained keen on signing him.
    According to Sport, United are planning to make two major signings in the summer window.
    One of the priorities is a new midfielder, particularly with a profile to complement Casemiro.
    Ten Hag wants to add a player with a strong ability to build up play from deep, a role De Jong can certainly fulfil – as proven in the Man Utd and Barcelona clash in the Europa League.
    READ MORE ON MAN UTD
    He is also equally comfortable as the deepest player in the midfield if required.
    The report describes De Jong, 25, as being “key” to Ten Hag’s system at former club Ajax.
    Current club Barcelona remains in need of departures in order to help balance the books, which has left them open to selling De Jong.
    But should a move not transpire as hoped, United have contingency plans.
    Most read in Football
    FREE BETS AND SIGN UP DEALS – BEST NEW CUSTOMER OFFERS
    Sport’s report adds Jude Bellingham is another major midfield target.
    Harry Kane and Victor Osimhen are two other big-name targets – most likely to be brought in to try and solve the squad’s striker issues.
    United knocked Barcelona out of the Europa League before winning the Carabao Cup.
    The Red Devils are next in action at Old Trafford against West Ham United in the FA Cup tonight. More

  • in

    Arsenal and Chelsea legend Cesc Fabregas fumes after being robbed of LaLiga title with Barcelona

    CESC FABREGAS believes he was robbed of a LaLiga title during his time at Barcelona.The midfielder is still fuming after a vital Lionel Messi goal was incorrectly ruled out by referee Antonio Mateu Lahoz for offside.
    Cesc Fabregas is still annoyed about losing the 2013/14 LaLiga titleCredit: Getty – Contributor
    Lionel Messi was denied a goal in that crucial meetingCredit: Getty Images – Getty
    Messi was judged to be offside as the ball came to him with officials thinking that Fabregas was the last one to touch the ball.
    But replays showed that it was actually Atletico Madrid defender Juanfran with the final touch.
    If the goal had been allowed to stand then Barcelona would have beaten Atletico on the final day of the 2013/14 season and sealed the league title.
    However, the game finished 1-1, meaning the trophy went to Atletico.
    READ MORE IN FOOTBALL
    And Fabregas – who would have picked up his second Spanish LaLiga title – is still annoyed about the mistake.
    He said: “They took away a league against Atlético de Madrid from me.
    “I was in the game and they annulled a goal that was legal, because I didn’t touch the ball, Juanfran touched it.”
    Former Barcelona assistant manager Elvio Paolorosso even revealed that referee Antonio Meteu Lahoz admitted his mistake and apologised to the team after the game.
    Most read in Football
    FREE BETS AND SIGN UP DEALS – BEST NEW CUSTOMER OFFERS
    He said: “Messi scored a goal that would have given us the title and the referee ruled it out.
    “We were crying in the dressing room and the referee came to apologise.”
    Midfield maestro Fabregas left Barcelona following the end of the season and returned to the Premier League by joining Chelsea.
    He is now playing for Serie B side Como after a three-year stint with AS Monaco. More