More stories

  • in

    Frenkie de Jong deals Man Utd transfer blow as he drops huge hint about his Barcelona future

    FRENKIE DE JONG has dealt Manchester United a fresh transfer blow as he admitted he hopes to stay at Barcelona ‘for many years’.The Dutch star was among United’s main targets last summer and the Red Devils went all out to try and land him.
    Frenkie de Jong has made 31 appearances in all competitions this seasonCredit: Rex
    But they could not spring the 25-year-old from the Nou Camp despite De Jong being involved in a pay dispute with Barca.
    Now any potential transfer looks even further away after the midfielder pledged his future to the Catalan club.
    He appeared to hint at a long-term stay in Spain as he made clear he wants to play at the newly renovated Nou Camp, which will not be completed until the 2024-25 season.
    De Jong, who signed for Barcelona from Ajax in 2019, told TV3: “I hope I will play at the new Camp Nou.
    READ MORE IN FOOTBALL
    “Barcelona is the club of my dreams, so I plan to stay for many years.
    “It looks like it’s going to be nice. The plans for the stadium are very good.”
    Speculation has continued that United could try to land de Jong when the window opens this summer.
    His former Ajax manager Erik ten Hag is known to be a big fan but eventually settled for Christian Eriksen when it was clear the deal could not be done.
    Most read in Football
    FREE BETS AND SIGN UP DEALS – BEST NEW CUSTOMER OFFERS
    Chelsea and their owner Todd Boehly are also reported to have interest in de Jong.
    United fans got a taste of what the Dutch international could bring when he starred in the Barcelona midfield for the Europa League play-off games last month. More

  • in

    PSG fans plan anti-Lionel Messi protest against Rennes as ultras release warning statement

    PARIS SAINT-GERMAIN ultras have announced they are planning a protest against Lionel Messi.Messi has struggled to replicate his Barcelona success ever since his move to PSG from Catalonia in 2021 after 17 glittering years at the Nou Camp.
    Lionel Messi has struggled to elevate Paris Saint-Germain in the last two yearsCredit: Rex
    Paris Saint-Germain are planning to protest against Lionel MessiCredit: Rex
    The seven-time Ballon d’Or winner has also been unable to elevate the reigning French champions this season, even after he led Argentina to World Cup glory in the winter.
    Tensions are running high after Christophe Galtier’s men were knocked out of the Champions League’s Round of 16 by Bayern Munich.
    Messi, who was tasked with leading PSG to Champions League glory, failed to impress across both legs against Bayern.
    The club’s diehards have had enough and they are now planning to jeer against the Argentine this Sunday during the Ligue 1 clash with Rennes at the Parc des Princes.
    Read Moe on Messi
    That is because a section of the club’s fans believe the Barcelona legend’s lucrative contract doesn’t reflect his performances on the pitch.
    Leading members of PSG’s ultra group told Mundo Deprtivo: “We will whistle at Messi this Sunday.
    “He has too high a salary in relation to what he offers on the pitch.”
    But of course the protest is not expected to be widespread across the stands.
    Most read in Football
    BETTING SPECIAL – BEST FOOTBALL BETTING SITES IN THE UK
    Messi’s deal with PSG runs out in June and he has yet to agree to an extension.
    The Argentina captain has been linked with a dramatic return to Barcelona, but the club is dealing with serious financial issues.
    The versatile attacker has also attracted interest from the Middle East as well as the US.
    Manchester United legend David Beckham is determined to bring him to his MLS club Inter Miami. More

  • in

    Barcelona unveil new home kit as part of their £237m Spotify partnership… but it will cost fans an unbelievable sum

    BARCELONA are out of tune with their fans after announcing a new kit in their £237million partnership with Spotify will cost £350.The limited edition home shirt for Sunday’s El Clasico against Real Madrid features the logo of popular Catalan singer Rosalia.
    Barcelona supporters might want to sit in a dark room when they hear how much this limited-edition shirt will cost for the El Clasico this Sunday
    The new top marks the first anniversary of singer Rosalia’s third album
    Rosalia’s logo from her latest album Motomami is on the new Barca shirt
    And as part of Barca’s ongoing huge deal with digital music service Spotify, there’s even a highly-exclusive version available for £1746.25.
    At least that top will be signed by both starting teams in the men’s and women’s clashes with Real.
    Earlier this season, Spotify gave up their sponsor’s place on the shirt for the first Clasico, with Drake’s owl logo displayed on the kit instead.
    That emblem marked the Canadian singer becoming the first artist to reach 50BILLION streams of his songs on the platform. 
    READ MOE TOP STORIES
    Now it’s the turn of 30-year-old Rosalia.
    The logo from her last studio album Motomami will adorn Barca’s shirt as Xavi’s men attempt to move TWELVE points clear of Real at the top of LaLiga with victory at the weekend.
    Barcelona revealed their new top in a quirky, murky promotional video.
    The costly kit was shown hanging up in a dark room with a butterfly fluttering around.
    Most read in Football
    BETTING SPECIAL – BEST FOOTBALL BETTING SITES IN THE UK
    Barca punted the album name by posting: “Calling all MOTOCULERS – Gear up, Rosalia is on our team this #ElClásico. 19/03/2023.”
    The club explained: “Barça and Sportify have picked Rosalia because it is a year ago this month that her album Motomami was released, a record that has stretched the boundaries of contemporary music.”
    And certainly the new shirts will stretch the pockets of many supporters. More

  • in

    ‘I called my agent… my story ended’ – The day Javier Mascherano knew he had to leave Barcelona

    JAVIER MASCHERANO has revealed the day he knew that his Barcelona career was over and he had to leave. The Argentine arrived at the Nou Camp in 2010 following a three-year spell at Liverpool.
    Javier Mascherano spent eight years at Barcelona having joined from Liverpool.Credit: Getty – Contributor
    Mascherano won La Liga four times and the Champions League twice during his time at the club.Credit: Getty
    The midfielder made 203 appearances for the Catalan giants scoring once and won La Liga and the Champions League during his time at the club.
    Despite having a successful spell at Barcelona Mascherano knew when it was time to move on.
    Speaking to Spanish outlet Sport the 38-year-old recalled the moment he had to leave the club.
    He said: ” I saw Umtiti train the first day, I called my representative and I told him: “Walter, my story at Barça ended, here is someone who is from another level.”
    READ MORE IN FOOTBALL
    He added: “I have made thousands of errors in my career but if I had something, it is that I have always been a teammate. In the last days of Luis Enrique I had lost my edge.”
    The former Liverpool man arrived knowing it would be tough to displace Sergio Busquets and had to re invent himself as a centre half to earn his place in the side.
    Mascherano admitted when he signed that he wasn’t a player for Pep Guardiola’s style.
    He said: “I was not a player for Pep’s style. That was the reality and I knew it.”
    Most read in Football
    HOW TO GET FREE BETS ON THE CHELTENHAM FESTIVAL
    The midfielder eventually left Barcelona in 2018 to join Chinese side Hebei China Fortune where he spent a season.
    The Argentine returned to his homeland signing for Estudiantes where he made ten appearances before retiring.
    Mascherano made a total of 436 appearances in his career scoring two goals. More

  • in

    Leeds on verge of signing Barcelona wonderkid dubbed ‘the next Riyad Mahrez’ in stunning transfer coup

    LEEDS UNITED are on the verge of signing the “next Riyad Mahrez”, according to reports.Despite being perilously close to the bottom three, the Whites are seemingly already looking at targets for next season.
    Leeds United boss Javi Gracia is already reportedly making plans for next seasonCredit: Rex
    Leeds have reportedly agreed a four-year deal for Barcelona ac Ilias AkhomachCredit: GETTY
    And reports in Spain claim the Prem strugglers are closing in on Barcelona wonderkid Ilias Akhomach.
    That’s according to Spanish newspaper Mundo Deportivo, who claim the 18-year-old will leave the Nou Camp in the summer.
    They also claim Leeds are in advance negotiations to sign the winger – who has courted interest from another of other clubs.
    Leeds are reportedly set to pip AC Milan, Sevilla and Club Brugge to the signature of Akhomach, whose departure must be finalised this month.
    READ MORE IN FOOTBALL
    Spanish outlet El Chiringuito claim Leeds have agreed a four-year deal with Akhomach – whose wizardry on the pitch has drawn comparisons to Manchester City ace Mahrez.
    Akhomach caught the eye of his suitors thanks to a string of solid displays for Barcelona’s second string, who he made 39 appearances for.
    And his displays earned him a call-up to the first team in the 2021-22 season, in which he made three appearances for the Catalan giants.
    He has, however, yet to feature for the first team this campaign.
    Most read in Football
    HOW TO GET FREE BETS ON THE CHELTENHAM FESTIVAL
    It’s unknown if Leeds’ potential return to the Championship will affect their deal for Akhomach.
    Javi Gracia’s troops are currently a point away from safety in 19th place.
    Leeds will look to lift themselves out of the relegation zone on Saturday when they travel to Molineux to take on Wolves.
    They travel to the Black Country on the back of a 2-2 draw with Brighton. More

  • in

    Ousmane Dembele’s tiny release clause revealed with Premier League clubs able to land Barcelona star for bargain

    BARCELONA are looking to extend Ousmane Dembele’s contract for fear of losing the forward on the cheap. The forward’s current deal expires next summer but letting Dembele enter his final year could prove costly for the LaLiga leaders.
    Ousmane Dembele’s release clause could be as low as £44mCredit: Rex
    According to Fabrizio Romano, his release clause allows him to leave for £88million during the final year of his contract.
    And if it reaches July and August of 2023, that is cut down to half price at just £44m.
    Barca paid £135.5m for the Frenchman in 2017 so they are desperate to agree new terms and avoid selling for a fraction of that price.
    So far this season, Dembele has made 28 appearances and scored eight goals but has missed the side’s last seven league games through a hamstring injury.
    READ MORE IN FOOTBALL
    Raphinha helped fill the void in Barca’s most recent match, with his goal against Athletic Bilbao separating the two.
    But the Brazilian former Leeds star still faces an uncertain future in Spain with Chelsea and Newcastle among those linked with the player.
    Barca were charged with corruption after it emerged the club continued to pay the head of Spain’s refereeing committee over a period of 17 years.
    And on top of that, they have been banned from buying any players this summer due to Financial Fair Play.
    Most read in Football
    HOW TO GET FREE BETS ON THE CHELTENHAM FESTIVAL
    Barca president Joan Laporta could be forced to resign from his post as a result of the club’s turmoil.
    And a number of players could have to leave the club as officials desperately look to raise funds.
    According to Spanish outlet SPORT, one of the players expected to go is Raphinha and Chelsea and Newcastle are understood to be keen on signing him.
    Raphinha faces an uncertain Barcelona futureCredit: Getty More

  • in

    Chelsea and Newcastle on transfer red alert over Raphinha as Barcelona admit they could be forced to cash in

    CHELSEA and Newcastle are both interested in signing Raphinha from Barcelona, according to reports.The 26-year-old could be forced to leave the Nou Camp this summer amid Barcelona’s ongoing legal battles.

    Chelsea and Newcastle want to sign RaphinhaCredit: Getty
    The La Liga giants were charged with corruption last week after it emerged that club chiefs continued to pay the head of Spain’s refereeing committee over a period of 17 years.
    And on top of that, they have been banned from buying any players this summer due to Financial Fair Play.
    Barca president Joan Laporta could be forced to resign from his post as a result of the club’s turmoil.
    And a number of players could have to leave the club as officials desperately look to raise funds.
    Read More on Chelsea
    According to Spanish outlet SPORT, one of the players expected to go is Raphinha.
    Chelsea and Newcastle are understood to be keen on signing the Brazilian.
    However, Raphinha does not want to leave Barcelona.
    Xavi is eager to keep him at the Nou Camp, although he could be forced into a sale if the club cannot offload a number of other players.
    Most read in Football
    BETTING SPECIAL – BEST FOOTBALL BETTING SITES IN THE UK
    The winger has scored nine goals and assisted nine in 37 appearances across all competitions for Barcelona so far this season.
    He has also played a crucial role in the club’s La Liga title charge.
    Raphinha joined the Catalan giants in a £55million transfer from Leeds last summer after rejecting a move to Chelsea.
    But Barca chiefs are convinced that they could earn a profit if they decided to sell the winger at the end of the season. More

  • in

    Todd Boehly a ‘huge admirer’ of Frenkie de Jong with Chelsea out to seal £70million transfer from under Man Utd’s noses

    TODD BOEHLY is reportedly a huge admirer of Frenkie de Jong.And the Chelsea owner is plotting a £70million transfer raid to land the midfielder from under Manchester United’s noses.
    Frenkie de Jong could be at the centre of another transfer tussleCredit: Getty
    Todd Boehly likes what he sees from the Barcelona midfielderCredit: Richard Pelham / The Sun
    De Jong, 25, was heavily linked with a move to the Premier League last summer as Barcelona put him under an ultimatum to leave or cut his salary.
    Manchester United agreed to pay around £72m while Chelsea wanted to take him on loan – before he ended up staying put at the Nou Camp.
    According to Football Insider, though, Boehly wants to go back in for De Jong this summer as a top priority.
    And they could Barca’s resolve with a £70m bid in an attempt to make him the latest big-money arrival since the American tycoon took over at Stamford Bridge.
    READ MORE IN FOOTBALL
    De Jong is understood to be happy at the Nou Camp again and has been a key cog in Xavi’s side marching towards the LaLiga title.
    The Barcelona manager said last month: “He was very clear with me. He wanted to stay with us and there was no doubt.
    “He is our player and I am very happy and satisfied with his performance and leadership.
    “He is in a great moment, like the whole team.”
    Most read in Football
    BETTING SPECIAL – BEST FOOTBALL BETTING SITES IN THE UK
    However, the financial mess at the Catalan giants remains and they could be forced into selling one of their most valuable assets.
    The Blues may still face competition from United, though, with Erik ten Hag keen to reunite with his ex-Ajax star.
    Barcelona are said to be preparing for life without De Jong and have lined up Manchester City and Germany man Ilkay Gundogan as his replacement. More