More stories

  • in

    Ex-Man Utd transfer target Frenkie de Jong’s agent slams ‘nonsense’ claims star faked illness to miss Barcelona clash

    BARCELONA star Frenkie de Jong’s agent slammed “total fake news” suggesting his client faked an illness to miss Wednesday’s Champions League game.Barca lost 3-2 to Royal Antwerp at the Bosuilstadion in their final match in the group stage which didn’t cost them as they still finished top of the table.
    Barcelona star Frenkie de Jong’s agent slammed rumours suggesting he faked an illnessCredit: Rex
    Barcelona star De Jong has repeatedly been linked with a move to Man UtdCredit: Rex
    However, De Jong couldn’t travel with the rest of Xavi’s side due to an illness.
    A report from RAC1 claimed the Blaugrana’s sporting director Deco spoke with the midfielder on the phone and doubted the legitimacy of the player’s excuse.
    However, the Netherlands international’s representative Ali Dursun lambasted those “nonsense” rumours and insisted his client is a “model professional”.
    Dursun told  De Telegraaf: “Total fake news.
    Read More on Football
    “It is the biggest nonsense that has been released around Frenkie in a long time.
    “The player is just sick. He has symptoms of fever and has been unable to travel and play.
    “This boy is a professional through and through. Just a model professional.
    “Just don’t touch Frenkie’s reputation, because he always delivers.
    Most read in Football
    CASINO SPECIAL – BEST CASINO WELCOME OFFER
    “There was no shouting over the phone as claimed, no question marks.
    “Things are being created now in a false way. The relationship with Deco is simply good and stable.”
    De Jong had been repeatedly linked with a move to Manchester United.
    United attempted to sign the 26-year-old in a £70million transfer last year in the summer, but Barcelona refused to let him go. More

  • in

    Xavi ‘fighting for Barcelona job and under maximum pressure’ after back-to-back defeats against Girona and Antwerp

    XAVI is reportedly fighting for his job at Barcelona following back-to-back defeats.Barcelona have just suffered losses to Girona in LaLiga and Royal Antwerp in the Champions League.
    Xavi’s job at Barcelona is reportedly under threatCredit: Getty
    Barcelona have lost back-to-back gamesCredit: EPA
    The defeat in Europe did not prove costly as the Catalonians still topped Group H.
    However, the loss to LaLiga leaders Girona has left Barcelona seven points off the pace and slumped down in fourth.
    Spanish outlet AS, has claimed that the loss to Antwerp has “stained the club’s image in Europe”.
    The report has suggested that Xavi, 43, has been left in a “weak position” and that he “knows” he has lost the confidence of all six members of the club’s sports commission.
    READ MORE IN FOOTBALL
    The commission is made up of president Joan Laporta, Deco, Rafael Yuste, Joan Soler, Enric Masip and Bojan.
    Deco has recently had a disagreement with Xavi as he denied being consulted about a late call-up to the team.
    He told Movistar Plus: “The call-ups are a matter for the coach. We did not come to a consensus on anything.
    “There was a change of plans regarding travel and we have decided that everyone should travel.
    Most read in Football
    FREE BETS – BEST BETTING OFFERS & NEW CUSTOMER BONUSES

    “It is an issue that was discussed for management reasons.”
    After the defeat to Antwerp, Xavi admitted that he was “worried”.
    He said: “The feeling is not good. We’ve had misfortune, from a 2-2 draw. We could have gotten more. We’re on a rough patch.
    “I’m worried, it’s normal. The team is not comfortable. We’re on a bad run, we’ve had two negative results.
    “We have to be critical of ourselves. We have to improve. The opposing team generates chances, but it’s hard for us to do so.
    “We have to improve and know that we are not on a good run.”
    Brighton boss Roberto De Zerbi is Ladbrokes’ favourite to replace Xavi should he be sacked.

    Roberto De Zerbi – 5/1
    Rafael Marquez – 6/1
    Julen Lopetegui – 6/1
    Ruben Amorim – 7/1
    Michel – 7/1
    Unai Emery – 8/1
    Pep Guardiola – 12/1 More

  • in

    Barcelona ’emphatically reject Jadon Sancho after being offered swap transfer by Man Utd for ex-Premier League winger’

    BARCELONA have ruled out a swap deal involving Jadon Sancho and Raphinha, according to reports.Sancho has been frozen out of the Manchester United squad since his public fall-out with Erik ten Hag in September.
    Barcelona have rejected United’s proposal to swap Jadon SanchoCredit: Getty
    Raphinha is not going anywhere, claim BarcaCredit: AP
    SunSport reported that United approached the LaLiga giants regarding the possibility of exchanging Sancho for Raphinha.
    Raphinha, 26, spent two years with Leeds United, and scored 16 Premier League goals.
    But Spanish news outlet Mundo Deportivo have since claimed that Barcelona are not at all interested in Sancho.
    The report also claims that Raphinha is considered ‘untouchable’ in the January window.
    READ MORE MAN UTD NEWS
    Barca would only consider selling next summer if they received a significant fee for the Brazil international.
    He joined Barcelona in a £55million deal from Leeds in 2022 and has 12 goals and 17 assists in 65 appearances for the Spanish champions.
    Meanwhile, Sancho remains exiled with the winger refusing to make peace with Ten Hag.
    The January transfer window provides a potential solution for United, who are currently getting nothing out of their £73m player who earns around £300,000 per week.
    Most read in Football

    FREE BETS – BEST BETTING OFFERS & NEW CUSTOMER BONUSES
    While Barca have rejected the proposal, his former club Borussia  Dortmund could consider a swap involving Sancho and Donyell Malen.
    The England international contributed 50 goals and 64 assists in 137 games for Dortmund between 2017 and 2021 before heading to Old Trafford.
    Ahead of Man Utd’s 3-0 loss to Bournemouth on Saturday, Ten Hag reiterated that the ball is in Sancho’s court if he wants to be reintegrated into the squad.
    He said: “So it is about a culture and every player has to match certain ­standards and it was about that.”
    United face their bitter rivals in league leaders Liverpool on Sunday, which will hold a record attendance following the opening of the new Anfield Road Stand.
    United- who are sixth in the table – have failed to win away at Liverpool since January 2016, when Wayne Rooney grabbed the only goal. More

  • in

    Man Utd ‘offer to double Barcelona defender’s wages as Ten Hag seeks transfer replacement for out-of-favour Varane’

    MANCHESTER UNITED are interested in signing Ronald Araujo, according to reports.Erik ten Hag is keen to bolster his defensive options and United reportedly have a number of targets in mind.
    Manchester United are prepared to double Ronald Araujo’s wagesCredit: Getty
    Harry Maguire and Victor Lindelof have featured more often than expected due to injuries to Raphael Varane and Lisandro Martinez.
    So United are lining up targets for January which includes Araujo, according to Mundo Deportivo.
    The report adds the Red Devils would be prepapred to double the defender’s wages – he is believed to earn around £125,000-a-week at Barcelona.
    However it could prove tricky to land the Uruguyan as Bayern Munich have made him one of their transfer priorities, reports transfer guru Florian Plettenburg.
    READ MORE ON MAN UTD
    And the German champions are prepared to spend £85million on Araujo.
    Barcelona could demand an even bigger fee since Araujo is under contract until 2026 with an £860m release clause.
    If United miss out on Araujo they could focus their efforts on signing long-term target Jean-Clair Todibo who has impressed at Nice this season.
    The Ligue 1 side are understood to value Todibo at around £50m.
    Most read in Football
    Araujo has impressed for Barcelona this season
    FREE BETS – BEST BETTING OFFERS & NEW CUSTOMER BONUSES
    But United’s main transfer target is believed to be Benfica centre-back Antonio Silva, who has an £85m release clause.
    United are also in the market for a midfielder with Monaco star Youssouf Fofana targeted, while Timo Werner could arrive to boost the attack.
    Antonio Silva is believed to be United’s number one target
    Jean-Clair Todibo is a long-term target for United More

  • in

    Bruno Guimaraes linked with swap transfer to Barcelona as Spanish giants hope to tempt Newcastle into deal

    NEWCASTLE’S Bruno Guimaraes has been linked with a sensational transfer to Barcelona.And that’s despite committing his future to the Magpies until 2028, after signing a new contract with the club in October.
    Guimaraes is top of Barcelona’s wishlistCredit: Getty
    According to Spanish outlet Mundo Deportivo, though, that hasn’t put Barcelona off making him one of their top transfer targets.
    The club are keen to sign a holding midfielder and have reportedly put Bruno Guimaraes top of their list.
    Alongside the Brazil midfielder on their wishlist is Youssouf Fofana of Monaco and Everton’s Amadou Onana.
    Barcelona are obviously cash-strapped after years of financial struggle so will not be able to fund the deal through typical means.
    READ MORE IN FOOTBALL
    The report said Barcelona are prepared to include several players as part of the deal as they “really like” Guimaraes.
    They did not specify on what players Newcastle might like, however.
    The report claims that Guimaraes has a £100million release clause in his new contract but Barcelona would be unable to pay this.
    Guimaraes has one goal and one assist in his 14 games played so far this season.
    Most read in Football
    Bruno has been impressive this seasonCredit: The Sun
    CASINO SPECIAL – BEST CASINO WELCOME OFFER
    Newcastle will be reticent to lose him given that they are already short of midfielders and looking to bring one in.
    Sandro Tonali’s ban for illegal betting means the Magpies are already in the market for a new central midfielder.
    And Newcastle could lean on their Saudi owners to bring in Ruben Neves from Al-Hilal either on loan or on a permanent basis. More

  • in

    Marcus Rashford ‘could make shock Barcelona swap transfer with ex-Chelsea and Arsenal target moving to Man Utd’

    BARCELONA are considering a swoop for Manchester United forward Marcus Rashford, according to reports.Rashford, 26, scored 30 goals and provided 11 assists for the Red Devils last season but has struggled to replicate that form this term.
    Barcelona are interested in signing Marcus RashfordCredit: PA
    Erik ten Hag dropped him from the starting line-up ahead of Wednesday’s Premier League clash with Chelsea.
    And now the forward is being linked with a move away from Old Trafford.
    Calciomercato claim Barcelona are considering a shock move for Rashford.
    A potential swap deal could also be on the cards, with the La Liga champions allegedly willing to send Raphinha the other way.
    Read More on Man Utd
    United were linked with a move for the Brazil international in 2021 alongside Chelsea and Arsenal.
    The two London sides then battled it out in a bid to sign him, but he instead decided to join Barcelona from Leeds instead.
    He has since made 64 appearances for Xavi’s side, scoring 12 goals.
    Meanwhile, Rashford signed a bumper five-year United contract worth £325,000-a-week just five months ago.
    Most read in Football
    FREE BETS – BEST BETTING OFFERS & NEW CUSTOMER BONUSES
    Rashford has struggled to match last season’s form
    Raphinha has started just four La Liga games so far this season
    However, fans have been far from impressed with him in recent weeks.
    Club legend Paul Scholes criticised the England international following his poor performance against Newcastle last week.
    Speaking on Premier League Productions, he said: “Marcus last year was brilliant and he’s got ability, there is no doubt about that.
    “But when you decide to walk back like he was, and he comes off and behaves like that, I do not think it’s good for the team.
    “And he’s one of the most experienced players now. He’s a player that players look up to. Mainoo looks up to him. Garnacho looks up to him.” More

  • in

    De Gea and Ramsdale shock Barcelona targets as LaLiga side draw up NINE-man transfer list to replace injured Ter Stegen

    BARCELONA could hand Aaron Ramsdale or David de Gea a dramatic lifeline to replace injured No1 Marc-Andre ter Stegen, it’s claimed.The LaLiga giants are reportedly considering at least NINE alternatives as Ter Stegen faces up to two months out.
    Aaron Ramsdale is tipped to be on Barcelona’s radarCredit: Rex
    David de Gea is regarded as a contender to step in at BarcelonaCredit: Reuters
    Barca keeper Marc-Andre ter Stegen puts a brave face on his injuryCredit: Alamy
    The Germany star, 31, has opted for back surgery after missing Barca’s last three games.
    And Spanish outlet Sport suggest Arsenal’s second-choice keeper Ramsdale as well as club-less former Manchester United hero De Gea are under consideration.
    But it’s understood the Gunners would fight any attempt to lure Ramsdale away in January, even on loan.
    The England ace, 25, is keen for regular action to help safeguard his place at Euro 2024.
    READ MORE TOP STORIES
    But although David Raya appears entrenched as the Arsenal No1, Emirates boss Mikel Arteta is determined to keep Ramsdale until at least the summer.
    In contrast, free agent De Gea might be easier to lure.
    The Spaniard, 33, has been linked with Saudi clubs and, this week, Newcastle following Nick Pope’s injury.
    But the ex-Atletico Madrid stopper would surely be tempted if Barca came calling.
    Most read in Football
    CASINO SPECIAL – BEST CASINO WELCOME OFFER
    Hugo Lloris, 36, is on the list of possible replacements after losing his Tottenham place under Ange Postecoglou to Guglielmo Vicario.
    But perhaps the most surprising name mentioned is Kasper Schmeichel.
    The former Leicester man, 37, joined Anderlecht on a one-year contract last summer.
    Ex-Borussia Dortmund keeper Roman Burki, 33, now in the MLS with St Louis City, and 32-year-old Al-Hilal No1 Yassine Bounou are also rated as contenders.
    Former Real Madrid ace Keylor Navas could be on the radar too as the 36-year-old is well behind first-choice Gianluigi Donnarumma at PSG.
    And two other veterans – both without a club since last summer – would surely also love an opportunity with Barcelona.
    That’s former Vallodolid star Sergio Asenjo, 34, and 30-year-old ex-FC Koln stopper Timo Horn.
    And there’s even a chance Barca will catapult 19-year-old Ander Astralaga into the senior team. More

  • in

    Ex-Chelsea star Marcos Alonso set to quit Barcelona after frustrating year and could return to Premier League

    MARCOS ALONSO is set to leave Barcelona after a frustrating year with the club, a report claims.The defender left Chelsea in September 2022 but could potentially return to the Premier League next year after struggling to make an impression under Barca boss Xavi Hernandez.
    Marcos Alonso is set to leave Barcelona after joining in 2022Credit: Getty
    Alonso, 32, has a contract with Barcelona that runs out in June and the Catalan giants are not expected to offer him a renewal.
    The Spaniard is thinking about other options and according to the Spanish outlet Sport, he has received numerous offers from other clubs.
    Clubs in Saudi Arabia are reportedly interested in the defender and may offer him a move as early as January.
    Meanwhile, Manchester United plotted a swoop for Alonso before the summer transfer deadline.
    READ MORE ON CHELSEA
    The Red Devils were scouring the market for cover after Luke Shaw was ruled out for several months with a muscle injury.
    But the former Chelsea player may no longer be on Erik ten Hag’s radar, as Shaw has resumed training and United landed Sergio Reguilon on loan from Spurs instead.
    However, other offers in England could turn Alonso’s head away from Arabia and see him head back to the Premier League, the report claims.
    FREE BETS – BEST BETTING OFFERS & NEW CUSTOMER BONUSES
    The report confirms Barcelona will make it easy for him to return to England but the Spanish international is not considering leaving until the end of the season.
    Most read in Football
    He helped Xavi’s side regain the La Liga title last term but his place was not guaranteed for the new season due to Financial Fair Play restrictions.
    Despite having his spot retained Alonso has still struggled for game time this campaign, having only made four league appearances.
    Alonso has fallen down Xavi’s pecking order, with first-choice left-back Alejandro Balde and now loanee Joao Cancelo ahead of him.
    With a return to the Premier League potentially on the cards the former Chelsea man will hope to have further success in English top-flight football.
    He won the league, Champions League and FA Cup with the Blues during his six-year spell at the club. More