More stories

  • in

    Arsenal and Chelsea told how much it will cost to sign Brentford striker Ivan Toney in January transfer window

    BRENTFORD rate Arsenal and Chelsea target Ivan Toney at £100milion.And the Bees aim to keep the England striker until at least the summer.
    Ivan Toney could be chased by a string of top clubs in JanuaryCredit: Reuters
    Toney’s eight-month ban for betting offences ends on January 16 – just as he enters the last 18 months of his contract.
    Sky Sports say the Bees value the once-capped star in the same bracket as Europe’s elite hitman because of his goalscoring consistency.
    And that might be a blow to his host of admirers – mainly Prem rivals.
    The title-chasing Gunners and Maurcio Pochettino’s Blues are both seeking a natural scorer.
    READ MORE TOP STORIES
    But it’s thought Brentford’s “bigger” London rivals are weighing up bids for Toney of “only” around £50m-£60m.
    The ex-Peterborough ace has reportedly hinted he’s keen to move.
    However, one consideration might be his hopes of making the Three Lions’ squad for Euro 2024.
    Brentford will surely offer him regular football, whereas he would have to decide if a fresh start at a new club would be a risk or a bonus.
    Most read in Football
    FREE BETS – BEST BETTING OFFERS AND BONUSES NEW CUSTOMERS
    Bayern Munich paid Tottenham £104m for England skipper Harry Kane, 30, in the summer.
    And Three Lions’ midfielder Declan Rice, 24, joined Arsenal from West Ham for £105m.
    So it’s understandable that even in pre-season Bees boss Thomas Frank said of Toney: “£100m plus?… What would you pay for a striker that guarantees you 20-plus goals? 
    “And this is 20 goals for a mid-table club. What can he do in a bigger club?” More

  • in

    Arsenal boss Mikel Arteta lines up double transfer raid on LaLiga with Thomas Partey’s future in doubt

    ARSENAL boss Mikel Arteta has reportedly added La Liga duo Martin Zubimendi and Aurelien Tchouameni to his list of transfer targets.The Gunners are at risk of losing Thomas Partey in January, with the midfielder allegedly becoming “dissatisfied” with his role at the Emirates Stadium.
    Arsenal want to sign Martin ZubimendiCredit: Getty
    The Gunners are also interested in Aurelien TchouameniCredit: Alamy
    Partey, who has made just four Premier League appearances so far this season due to injury, could leave for around £30million when the upcoming transfer window opens.
    But Arteta already has already set his sights on two other midfielders.
    According to Calciomercato, the Spaniard has expressed an interest in signing both Real Sociedad star Zubimendi and Real Madrid’s Tchouameni.
    Arsenal attempted to sign Zubimendi earlier this year, but Real Sociedad didn’t want to sell and the 24-year-old was reluctant to leave.
    Read More on Arsenal
    He now has a £53m release clause in his contract, so he could be snapped up as soon as January.
    However, Barcelona have also expressed an interest in signing him, with Xavi a known admirer.
    In January, the Barca boss admitted: “He (Zubimendi) is a more physical and faster player than (Sergio) Busquets, who is technically better.
    “But not only Zubimendi, all of Real Sociedad’s midfield players. We are playing a great team and Zubimendi is a great footballer.”
    Most read in Football
    CASINO SPECIAL – BEST CASINO WELCOME OFFERS
    Thomas Partey could leave Arsenal next yearCredit: Getty
    Tchouameni has also emerged as a top target for Arsenal, but he will likely come with a significantly higher transfer fee.
    The Frenchman joined Real Madrid in an £85m transfer from Monaco last summer and has since made 64 first team appearances.
    Should either player join the Gunners, they will link up with record signing Declan Rice in midfield.
    Rice left West Ham to join Arsenal in a £105m transfer this summer and has since established himself as a key first team player and fan favourite. More

  • in

    Mikel Arteta considering January transfer U-turn with winger ‘to be recalled’ after just ONE start while out on loan

    MIKEL ARTETA is reportedly considering recalling Marquinhos back from his loan in January.The Brazilian winger, 20, was sent out by Arsenal to French club Nantes in the summer.
    Arsenal boss Mikel Arteta is considering recalling Marquinhos from his Nantes loanCredit: Getty
    Marquinhos has struggled for game time on his latest loan at NantesCredit: Getty
    But, he has one made one start for the Ligue 1 side and played a combined 88 minutes of top flight football.
    The Gunners were hopeful that the youngster would benefit from regular game time.
    However, Nantes have failed to provide that for Marquinhos, which will disappoint manager Arteta and sporting director Edu.
    Nantes even allowed the wide-man to play in the Pan American Games in Chile with Brazil’s U23’s this month.
    Read more Arsenal news
    Greek giants Olympiakos were close to securing a loan deal for Marquinhos before Nantes swooped.
    He was also discussed by Nottingham Forest, before the Premier League side opted for Nuno Tavares.
    Italians Bologna, Empoli and Frosinone were all interested in signing Marquinhos.
    The report by the Mirror says that Arteta is keen to bring him back to the Emirates if his situation at Nantes does not change.
    Most read in Football
    CASINO SPECIAL – BEST CASINO WELCOME OFFERS
    Then, they will send him out elsewhere for first team experience.
    Arsenal’s loan manager Ben Knapper, who is set to join Norwich City next month, is said to have been monitoring all Arsenal’s stars on loan with Edu.
    It is unknown if both sides inserted a break clause into the contract, but a termination could still be possible if both sides agree it would benefit the player.
    Marquinhos signed for Arsenal in 2022 for £3million.
    Memorably, he scored on his debut for the club in the 2-1 Europa League win over FC Zurich.
    Last season, he joined Norwich City on loan in the January transfer window.
    However, he failed to hit the heights expected – scoring just once in 11 games. More

  • in

    I thought I was signing for Arsenal or Tottenham when I heard transfer offer had been accepted – but I ended up at Luton

    LUTON legend Paul Elliott thought he was joining Arsenal or Tottenham before moving to Kenilworth Road.Elliott stood out in the 1980s playing for Charlton and turned a lot of heads during a time that saw the Addicks dealing with severe financial difficulties.
    Paul Elliott joined Luton in 1983 after shining bright with Charlton
    That meant the club had to sell some of their best and most valuable players in 1983.
    Among them was their star centre-back, who was linked with a move to the Gunners at the time.
    And the then 19-year-old was informed by Charlton manager Lennie Lawrence that a deal had been struck with a club from the First Division.
    Lawrence drove the defender to meet his new employers and he thought it would be Arsenal due to the intense speculation.
    Read More on Football
    The youngster also reckoned he could be moving to Tottenham as his manager drove towards north London.
    But, upon their arrival, Lawrence finally spilled the beans and revealed he will be playing for Luton.
    The now 59-year-old wasn’t disappointed as a discussion with then Hatters boss David Pleat convinced him this was the right move.
    Pleat really believed in him and promised he would be in his starting line-up despite his young age.
    Most read in Football
    Elliott told Luton Today: “The club hit financial problems and went into receivership.
    “They sold Paul Walsh the year before and I remember there were lots of rumours that Arsenal were very interested and had made a bid. I remember reading the Evening Standard that Arsenal were going to make an offer for Elliott, they really want Elliott.
    “When the deal was done, I remember the day I was leaving, Lennie said to me, ‘Big man, go home and put on your best suit, we’re going to sell you. Meet me back at the Valley, I’m going to take you to meet the manager.’
    “He didn’t tell me who the manager was, so we drove up and he’s driving north London, A6, towards the Cockfosters Hotel and I was thinking it’s either got to [be] Arsenal or Tottenham. Then he’s pulled up at the West Lodge Hotel and I was thinking, it’s got to be Arsenal!
    FREE BETS – BEST BETTING OFFERS AND BONUSES NEW CUSTOMERS
    Elliot thought he was joining Arsenal or Tottenham before his move to Luton
    “He turned round and said, ‘There’s a great manager inside, a really progressive club,’ and I’m just thinking, just tell me, and he said, ‘It’s David Pleat from Luton Town.’
    “I thought, oh, right, okay, I went into the hotel, and let’s just say I had 15 minutes with David Pleat and I knew that Luton was going to be a great move for me.
    “He said, ‘Listen Paul, you’re top class, you’re an outstanding youngster. You’re 18 years of age, played over 80 games in the first team, you’ve got a lot of game time, you’re an outstanding prospect, we’ve just got promoted from the Second Division, you’re going straight into the first team, you’re good enough to play in the First Division, you’re going to be a great player for Luton Town and for me, do you want to come?’
    “I remember saying, ‘Of course I want to come,’ and it ended up being a fabulous move. David is a great man, a great friend, we’ve always been close, even after my time at Luton.”
    Elliott became a Luton legend with two goals in 39 appearances across a two-year stint before moving to Aston Villa and later Pisa, Celtic and Chelsea. More

  • in

    Arsenal to go back in for Marc Guehi transfer as Arteta looks to pip Man City to another England star

    ARSENAL are in the chase for Crystal Palace’s England defender Marc Guehi — but the bidding war will not start until the summer.The Gunners are huge admirers of Guehi but know the centre-back, who cost £18million, is not on the market for the time being.
    Marc Guehi could fetch a big fee in the summerCredit: Getty
    That suits boss Mikel Arteta, who has a settled back line but sees Guehi as part of his long-term plans and is both willing and happy to wait, with the auction likely to be at the end of the season.
    Palace will demand a huge fee for the 23-year-old, who has also been linked with Manchester City, Manchester United — and even a return to Chelsea, where he came through the academy.
    City are in the market for a top centre-back and could even try their luck in January but the real bidding war is anticipated to be in the summer.
    Both United and Chelsea are going to be looking at Guehi down the line.
    READ MORE IN FOOTBALL
    And the Eagles are relaxed because they know the big guns will come armed with a massive offer.
    Chelsea have a deal where they can match any bid and that makes them serious players but if the money goes too high they are unlikely to.
    Palace could receive a club record fee for the defender as his price tag is likely to eclipse Aaron Wan-Bissaka’s £50million move to Old Trafford.
    Guehi has made 91 appearances for the South London club since joining two years ago.
    Most read in Football
    FREE BETS – BEST BETTING OFFERS AND BONUSES NEW CUSTOMERS
    Tottenham have also been linked to Guehi and would love the chance to pip their rivals to his signature.
    However Arsenal have proved their pulling power in recent months after beating City to another England star, Declan Rice. More

  • in

    Arsenal fans say Eddie Nketiah ‘turns into prime Ronaldo’ whenever Jesus is injured as he grabs first Prem hat-trick

    ARSENAL fans have praised Eddie Nketiah’s knack of turning into “prime Ronaldo” whenever Gabriel Jesus is unavailable.Nketiah, 24, scored a hat-trick as Arsenal coasted to a 5-0 victory over Sheffield United at the Emirates.
    Nketiah with his first Premier League match ballCredit: Getty
    The forward bagged Arsenal’s first three before late goals from Fabio Vieira and Takehiro Tomiyasu made it five for Arsenal.
    It was a day of landmarks for Nketiah in more ways than one – firstly, he broke a run of nine Premier League matches without a goal which had left some Arsenal fans asking questions about his inclusion in the team.
    There was also the fact that grabbing a hat-trick meant he took home the Premier League match ball for the first time in his career.
    The recently capped England striker will no doubt be hoping to take this confidence boosting performance forward with him in the absence of Gabriel Jesus.
    READ MORE ON FOOTBALL
    Jesus picked up an injury midweek during Arsenal’s 2-1 win over Sevilla.
    The forward supplied a goal and an assist before tweaking his hamstring in a magnificent individual performance.
    Jesus will miss weeks, possibly months with the injury, with Nketiah expected to step in in the meantime.
    And Arsenal fans are buzzing with Nketiah’s form so far, with one Arsenal fan tweeting: “Average Eddie Nketiah performance when Jesus is injured” alongside a montage of Ronaldo Nazario’s goals.
    Most read in Football
    FREE BETS – BEST BETTING OFFERS AND BONUSES NEW CUSTOMERS
    Another fan tweeted: “Eddie Nketiah stepping up when it’s needed most!”
    Another fan tweeted: “He’s him.” Alongside a picture of Nketiah’s face photoshopped onto Thierry Henry’s body.
    A fourth fan tweeted: “Golden boot, wait on us.” Alongside a gif of Eddie Nketiah’s trademark phone celebration. More

  • in

    Chelsea and Arsenal receive huge boost in Victor Osimhen transfer hunt but Prem rival have already made first move

    PREMIER LEAGUE clubs have received a major boost in their pursuit of Napoli star Victor Osimhen, according to reports.The striker is on the radar of Arsenal, Chelsea and Liverpool.
    Victor Osimhen is struggling to agree a new contract at NapoliCredit: Reuters
    Osimhen’s contract at Napoli runs until 2025 and talks over an improved deal are said to have stalled.
    Calcio Mercato report that his relationship with club chief Aurelio De Laurentiis is becoming frosty.
    The two disagree over the player’s wages and a release clause.
    Osimhen wants his salary doubled from £3.9m to £7.8m per year.
    READ MORE IN FOOTBALL
    While De Laurentiis is insisting on a £174m release clause, with the striker keen for it to be lower.
    This comes after Osimhen’s relationship with Napoli soured after they mocked him on social media.
    Meanwhile, he continues to perform on the pitch, having netted six goals in ten games this season.
    The 24-year-old scored 26 times in 39 matches in all competitions last term as he helped fire Napoli to the Serie A title.
    Most read in Football
    FREE BETS – BEST BETTING OFFERS AND BONUSES NEW CUSTOMERS
    Manager Luciano Spalletti has since left to take over the Italian national team and new boss Rudi Garcia is reportedly unpopular with some at the club.
    SunSport exclusively revealed that Liverpool have already made the first move to sign Osimhen after sending scouts to watch him earlier this month.
    Several of Europe’s biggest teams are keeping track of the Nigeria international. More

  • in

    Forgotten Arsenal star Sokratis finally agrees return to football and will link up with former team-mate

    SOKRATIS PAPASTATHOPOULOS is reportedly close to sealing a deal to join Real Betis.The former Arsenal star has been a free agent since leaving Olympiacos at the end of last season.
    Sokratis Papastathopoulos is set to join a new clubCredit: Getty
    The free agent will reportedly reunite with Hector Bellerin at Real BetisCredit: Getty
    Sokratis, 35, spent three years at Arsenal before returning to his homeland.
    The defender joined the Gunners in 2018 after moving from Bundesliga giants Borussia Dortmund.
    However, his contract was mutually terminated in January 2021, having made 69 appearances for the club in all competitions.
    Sokratis also won the FA Cup with the North London outfit in 2020.
    READ MORE ON ARSENAL
    The Greek ace is not set to join his former Arsenal team-mate Hector Bellerin at Real Betis.
    Fabrizio Romano has claimed that the defender has reached an agreement with the club to join as a free agent.
    It is claimed that he will undergo medical tests on Thursday before putting pen to paper on a deal running until 2024.
    Bellerin, 28, is in his second stint at Betis, having spent time on loan at the club during the 2021-22 season.
    Most read in Football
    The Spaniard left Arsenal permanently that summer as he made the move to Barcelona.
    FREE BETS – BEST BETTING OFFERS AND BONUSES NEW CUSTOMERS
    However, Bellerin failed to impress at the Camp Nou and left the Catalonian giants after one season.
    He moved to Portuguese outfit Sporting Lisbon but again struggled to find his best form.
    The full-back has now found his feet again and has become a regular under former Manchester City and West Ham manager Manuel Pellegrini. More