Owners of F1 buy new sport for £3.6bn but fans say ‘RIP’ and say it’ll be ‘ruined’ with major change predicted

FORMULA 1’s owners have horrified many MotoGP fans with a £3.6billion takeover of two-wheeled sport’s main series.

Some bike lovers even said “RIP” to the global competition after Liberty Media stepped in – as they fear changes making it “boring” like F1.

MotoGP fans appear to fear their sport becoming more predictable like F1Credit: Rex
One motorbike-racing enthusiast is worried overtaking might be greatly reduced if MotoGP faced any changes similar to F1Credit: Reuters

The US conglomerate promised to “grow” MotoGP – but their statement also worried fans with its regular mention of financial advantages.

“Ruining another series,” posted one observer, and “RIP. Just look at F1,” said another.

A third fan pleaded: “Please stay far away. Don’t want a boring MotoGP like Formula 1 is.”

And a fourth enthusiast of motorbike racing claimed: “More overtaking in one MotoGP lap than an entire F1 season.”


Many fans offered “deepest condolences” to their favourite sport.

However, a few blamed what they see as F1’s predictable racing on its rulers the FIA rather than its owners Liberty Media.

The company has bought MotoGP from Dorna Sports, who have owned it since 1992.

Liberty are expected to complete  a deal for about 86 per cent of Dorna by the end of 2024, with the Spanish firm’s management keeping the remaining 14 per cent.

Most read in Motorsport

The new owners’ president Greg Maffei said: “MotoGP is a global league with a loyal, enthusiastic fan base, captivating racing and a highly cash flow generative financial profile.

“The business has significant upside, and we intend to grow the sport for MotoGP fans, teams, commercial partners and our shareholders.”

The Spice & Speed Empire: Christian and Geri Horner’s £50M Journey

Dorna chief executive officer Carmelo Ezpeleta noted Liberty’s “incredible track record in developing sports assets”.

Source: Motorsport -


Man Utd double injury blow as Lisandro Martinez out for a MONTH after just returning – along with another centre-back

I bought Man Utd star Marcus Rashford’s wrecked Rolls-Royce for £184k – now he’s reached out and saved me loads of money