SILVERSTONE is on track to hold two Formula One races this season as part of a revised calendar.
But the plan will not get off the grid unless the Government gives it the green light.
⚠️ Read our coronavirus in sport live blog for the latest news & updates
Silverstone is set to hold TWO Formula One races later this year
Track managing director Stuart Pringle yesterday announced he had struck an agreement in principle with F1 to host an additional grand prix, as the series looks to build a new schedule.
The first ten races have been either postponed or cancelled because of the coronavirus pandemic.
Silverstone is home of the British GP — scheduled for July 17 — and it is hoped any additional race would run back-to-back with this – a huge boost for Lewis Hamilton.
Yet the likelihood of this happening hinges on an exemption being made to UK quarantine rules.
The Government plans to introduce a 14-day quarantine period for all international arrivals, except those from Ireland and France, which would play havoc with a global touring sport such as F1.
Silverstone boss Pringle said: “I am delighted to confirm that Silverstone and Formula One have reached an agreement in principle to host two races behind closed doors this summer.
“However, these races will be subject to Government approval, as our priority is the safety of all involved and strict compliance with Covid-19 regulations.
“I’d like to thank all our fans who have been so supportive throughout this and to assure them we are determined to do all we can to help Formula One put on a show this summer.”
An F1 spokesman said: “We are continuing to have conversations with Silverstone and other promoters regarding a revised 2020 calendar.”
Austria is set to host the opening race of the 2020 season in July — four months after the traditional opener should have run in Australia.
The ten greatest F1 drivers of all-time – according to SunSport’s motorsport correspondent Ben Hunt
Formula One chiefs stated last month it intended to hold races during the traditional summer break — and that the season end date will be extended beyond the original weekend of November 27-29.
Managing director Ross Brawn has outlined how they plan to take steps to lessen the risk of personnel contracting Covid-19.
He said earlier this month: “All team staff will be tested every two days. We will have restrictions on how people move around within the paddock.
“We can’t have staff that socially distance so we have to create an environment within itself that is effectively a small bubble of isolation.
CORONAVIRUS CRISIS – STAY IN THE KNOW
Don’t miss the latest news and figures – and essential advice for you and your family.
To receive The Sun’s Coronavirus newsletter in your inbox every tea time, sign up here.
To follow us on Facebook, simply ‘Like’ our Coronavirus page.
Get Britain’s best-selling newspaper delivered to your smartphone or tablet each day – find out more.
“The teams will stay within their own groups.
“They won’t mingle with other teams and they’ll stay in their own hotels. There will be no motorhomes there.”
Belgium’s government has given the go-ahead for its GP to be held behind closed doors at Spa-Francorchamps on its original date of August 30.
The news is sure to come as a huge boost for Silverstone champ Lewis Hamilton
Source: Motorsport - thesun.co.uk