More stories

  • in

    Dillian Whyte vs Joe Joyce ANNOUNCED in bonanza heavyweight card featuring British stars

    DILLIAN WHYTE will face Joe Joyce as part of a heavyweight card. The pair will fight on April 5 at Manchester’s new £365million Co-op Live arena to kick off Frank Warren’s new DAZN schedule. Dillian Whyte will face Joe Joyce as part of a heavyweight cardCredit: PAJoyce returns in a make-or-break clashCredit: GettyAlso on the bill is Lawrence Okolie vs Richard Riakporhe and David Adeleye facing Jeamie TKV to make up the heavyweight card. Whyte beat Christian Hammer and Ebenezer Tetteh last year in his two comeback bouts.It came after he was pulled out of rematching Anthony Joshua – who he lost to in 2015 – following an “an adverse finding” in his drug test.He beat Hammer in Ireland and Tetteh in Gibraltar after resuming his careeer on the road. READ MORE IN BOXINGA report from Sky Sports said documentation from a forensic expert concluded that a nutritional supplement taken by Whyte did not disclose all of its ingredients and included a prohibited substance.Joyce meanwhile was twice stopped by Zhilei Zhang, 41, in 2023 before knocking out Kash Ali, 33, in his return last March.But he was beaten by Derek Chisora, 41, in July to leave his career hanging in the balance.Joyce insisted he would fight on and does so in a make-or-break clash against Whyte. Most read in BoxingCASINO SPECIAL – BEST CASINO BONUSES FROM £10 DEPOSITSThe chief support will see Riakporhe move up to heavyweight to fight rival Okolie. Okolie, 32, held the WBO cruiserweight title before moving up knocking out Hussein Muhamed in his heavyweight debut in December.Deontay Wilder and huge world title bout among SIX options for Anthony Joshua’s next fight if Tyson Fury stays retired Riakporhe, 35, heads to heavyweight off the back of defeat to Chris Billam-Smith, 34, for the WBO belt in June.The Londoner and Okolie have history, once clashing at the Creed III premiere in February 2023.And Adeleye, 28, is coming off a huge first-round KO over Solomon Dacres, 31, in December. It came after he suffered the first defeat in his career in October 2023, losing by stoppage to Fabio Wardley, 30, in Saudi Arabia. Hall of Fame promoter Warren left TNT Sports to join streaming service DAZN alongside Eddie Hearn. Anthony Cacace, 36, will face former super-featherweight world champion Leigh Wood, also 36, on May 10 in Nottingham. READ MORE SUN STORIESAnd Warren also announced the signing of ex-undisputed super-lightweight king Josh Taylor, 34. The Scottish star moves up to welterweight to fight Ekow Essuman, 35, also some time in May in Glasgow. Leigh Wood moves to Frank Warren to fight Anthony CacaceCredit: Richard Pelham / The SunCacace fights Wood on May 10Credit: ReutersJosh Taylor moves up to welterweight and signs with WarrenCredit: Getty More

  • in

    Derek Chisora opens door to sensational fight with ‘little brother’ Anthony Joshua for his emotional final bout

    DEREK CHISORA has no idea how he will handle his 50th and final fight after he broke down and sobbed BEFORE Saturday’s victory over Otto Wallin.The grizzled 41-year-old heavyweight blubbed like a baby when he walked through the bowls of Manchester’s Co-op Live arena and spotted the selection of photos from his most iconic battles.Derek Chisora admits he could take on Anthony Joshua in his final fightCredit: Richard Pelham / The SunThe ace secured victory over Otto Wallin last nightCredit: ReutersChisora burst into tears before the boutCredit: TNT SportsHe has a bad-boy reputation, a total fearlessness and a granite chin but could not keep the tears at bay.And after twice dropping the 34-year-old Swede to earn an unanimous decision, Chisora admitted he does not know how hard the swansong later this year will hit him.Chisora, who needed stitches around both eyes, said: “I am not going to lie to you, it will be very, very emotional.“Before I left the hotel for this one, I promised myself that I wouldn’t cry.READ MORE IN BOXING“But suddenly I was walking through the corridors and I saw my photos and just started balling.“It’s going to be very emotional, and sad, because I love this game so much.“I just started crying, like a little kid. F***ing hell!“I just love the game, the ups and downs, even the cuts and bruises that I have right now. I love it all.”Most read in BoxingJOIN SUN VEGAS: GET £50 BONUSChisora wants to bow out against a massive name for his half- century showdown.Del Boy has tried to fight every big man of this era.Derek Chisora opens up on retirement and says people ‘don’t care’ about him in ‘scumbag’ sport of boxingHe may have suffered three losses to Tyson Fury and a pair against Dillian Whyte but he always comes back swinging.The only person he has never even tried cultivating a rivalry with is British boxing’s biggest cash cow, Anthony Joshua.Chisora is like a big brother to his fellow North Londoner, bringing him up behind him at the Finchley ABC gym.But now he suggests he would put their bromance on ice to  go out in a blaze of glory.He said: “Anthony Joshua has done unbelievably well for boxing in the United Kingdom.“Olympic gold medal, world titles, stadium  fights . . . AJ was the one who took boxing to Saudi Arabia and opened up all the doors for everyone else to follow him and make money.READ MORE SUN STORIES“I have watched him sell out stadiums in Cardiff and London and Saudi, so he always has to be given respect.“But if the public really wants to see us get that fight on, we will get it on.”­ More

  • in

    Jake Paul ‘finalising’ next fight after dramatic collapse of Canelo Alvarez bout and takes swipe at boxing legend

    JAKE PAUL says he is finalising his next fight following the collapse of his bout against Canelo Alvarez.The YouTuber-turned-boxer and Mexican great had a deal in place for a May 3 bout in Las Vegas at the T-Mobile Arena to be streamed on Netflix.Jake Paul says he is finalising his next fightCredit: GettyCanelo Alvarez pulled out of a deal to fight Jake PaulCredit: GettyBut with an announcement imminent – Canelo cancelled the bout at the 11th hour to instead sign a four-fight deal with Turki Alalshikh.Paul hit out at the Mexican superstar with his next fight now in the works after talks dramatically broke down.He posted: “Done with this little money chasing, no respect having nut. Bent the knee and became just like the rest. “Working on finalizing the next fight.” READ MORE IN BOXINGIt followed after Paul leaked what appeared to be a bout contract and promotional poster.Canelo, 34, has been negotiating a September super-fight against unbeaten Terence Crawford, 37, for his super-middleweight belts.But he was still seeking an opponent to face for his regular Cinco de Mayo weekend fight in May.That is when talks with Paul accelerated – to the anger Saudi boxing chief Alalshikh – who then called off talks for Canelo and Crawford.Most read in BoxingCASINO SPECIAL – BEST CASINO BONUSES FROM £10 DEPOSITSAlalshikh believed fighting the 11-1 celebrity would have diminished the size of his blockbuster against Crawford.He also claimed Canelo had no intention of actually fighting Paul – instead just needing an opponent for May.Jake Paul brands Canelo Alvarez ‘an owned slave’ in social media rant after dramatic collapse of their $200m fight dealSo Alalshikh offered Alvarez a four-fight deal, starting with a warm-up on May 4 in Riyadh before the title bout with Crawford four months later.Canelo is now set to fight William Skull – who inherited his vacated IBF title – in what will now be an undisputed title showdown. And Canelo will also have two more fights in 2026 – potentially in Saudi – after agreeing the late U-turn.Paul, 28, is coming off a points win over Mike Tyson, 58, in November with over 100MILLION tuning in to watch on Netflix.His fight with Canelo was set to stream on Netflix too – at the 200lb cruiserweight limit. His promotional partner Nakisa Bidarian revealed: “Jake vs Canelo was planned as a Cruiserweight fight. “Team Canelo approached us to do the fight at 190 lbs (Canelo’s walk around weight). “We said it made no sense to take away the one advantage the public would see for Jake – his size. READ MORE SUN STORIES”So the agreement was a standard Cruiserweight fight, 12 rounds, 3 minute rounds.” More

  • in

    Anthony Joshua urged to avoid ex-sparring partner who is an ‘animal’ and fight Tyson Fury or Deontay Wilder instead

    ANTHONY JOSHUA has been urged to avoid fighting Martin Bakole – and instead look towards Tyson Fury or Deontay Wilder. Joshua’s promoter Eddie Hearn was forced to deny that AJ had signed to face 21-1 Bakole next. Martin Bakole and Anthony Joshua are former sparring partnersThe two were former sparring partners in Team GB’s Sheffield HQ – where Joshua used to train. British heavyweight Dave Allen watched those sessions – and advised AJ against fighting the Congolese powerhouse. Allen, 32, told Pro Boxing Fans: “Bakole is an animal. I’ve seen them spar. “The spars I’ve seen were good spars, good competitive spars, but I don’t think it makes sense for Joshua. READ MORE IN BOXING”He’s one of the best heavyweights of his generation, why box Martin Bakole?”Bakole, 31, has won his last ten fights having only lost to Michael Hunter, 36, in 2018. He most recently beat American prospect Jared Anderson, 25, in the biggest win of his career. Joshua, 35, meanwhile was knocked out by Daniel Dubois, 27, in September and pulled out of talks for an immediate rematch. Most read in BoxingCASINO SPECIAL – BEST CASINO BONUSES FROM £10 DEPOSITSHe was expected to fight Tyson Fury, 36, until the Gypsy King announced a shock retirement in January. And Deontay Wilder, 39, is plotting a comeback after losses to Joseph Parker and Zhilei Zhang. And Allen said: “If he (Joshua) continues to fight its Fury or Wilder are the two for me. “They make sense, there’s a backstory to it, they’d be crazy exciting fights. I would leave Martin Bakole well alone, if I was anybody to be honest.”Tyson Fury and Deontay Wilder are potential opponents for JoshuaCredit: Getty Images – Getty More

  • in

    Viral ring girl Sydney Thomas reveals career ambition as she hits Super Bowl after Jake Paul vs Mike Tyson ‘wild ride’

    BOXING ring girl Sydney Thomas wants to forge her own business empire – once she’s graduated from college. The 21-year-old went viral last year after turning heads as a ring girl during Jake Paul’s boxing showdown with Mike Tyson. Sydney Thomas stunned on the red carpet ahead of Michael Rubin’s Super Bowl parry in New OrleansCredit: Sunni UpalSydney wowed in a plunging strapless dress as she spoke to The U.S. SunCredit: Sunni UpalThe 21-year-old later posed with LSU gymnast and Sports Illustrated model Olivia DunneCredit: Instagram / @iamsydneythomasSydney Thomas shot to fame after her ring girl performance during Jake Paul vs Mike TysonCredit: Instagram / @iamsydneythomasThomas shot to overnight fame after wowing millions of fight fans on the smash Netflix broadcast. A student at Alabama, Sydney stole the show with her swag and confidence in the ring during November’s showdown. She admits her life has been turned upside down since appearing in the stream – which was viewed by over 100 million Netflix subscribers.”It’s been crazy,” Thomas said, speaking to The U.S. Sun on the red carpet of the Fanatics’ Super Bowl party in New Orleans.READ MORE ON SUPER BOWL”My life just kind of flipped upside down out of nowhere [after Paul vs Tyson].”It’s been a wild ride, but it’s been great.”I knew going into the fight I would get some publicity and exposure.”But not to this extent. It blew away my expectations.”Most read in BoxingSydney turned 21 in November and is currently a student at the University of Alabama in Tuscaloosa. And he has big plans for when she graduates this coming summer.Meet Sydney Thomas, The Next Big Ring Girl Star”I’m still in college,” she continued when pressed on her next career move. “So I’m going to graduate and get a management and entrepreneurship degree. “I’d like to start a business of my own at some point. “But continuing working with sports and boxing makes me happy, so we’ll see.”I have a business-driven mind,” she added. Thomas was in New Orleans ahead of this Sunday’s Super Bowl LIX. She rubbed shoulders with stars including Olivia Dunne at Michael Rubin’s Fanatics pre-game bash on Saturday night. “It’s been great,” Sydney added, looking right at home on the red carpet in a stunning pink outfit. READ MORE SUN STORIES”And I love getting to explore New Orleans too. “There’s so much culture and it’s such an eclectic city. It’s great that the [Super Bowl] is here.”Sydney rocked a stunning bikini outfit for the Netflix broadcast, which was seen by over 100 millionCredit: INSTAGRAMThe 21-year-old has dreams of becoming a Sports Illustrated modelCredit: APThomas is due to graduate this summer from the University of AlabamaCredit: Instagram @iamsydneythomas More

  • in

    Anthony Joshua dealt blow as Tyson Fury’s promoter says Gypsy King is happily retired… leaving £150m fight facing KO

    FRANK WARREN insists Tyson Fury is a happily retired fighter – in a blow to Anthony Joshua. The heavyweight pair looked destined to finally commence their Battle of Britain this year. Promoter Frank Warren with Tyson FuryCredit: ReutersBut in January, Fury announced a shock retirement to leave the two-fight deal worth £150MILLION facing the KO.The Gypsy King has kept an unusually low profile in the wake of his retirement – spending time with wife Paris and their seven kids.But he was in Manchester to support his cousin Walter on Derek Chisora’s undercard and beamed next to Warren.And the Hall of Fame promoter appeared to shoot down Fury returning despite the allure of a blockbuster against AJ.READ MORE IN BOXINGWarren told BoxingScene: “I don’t speak to him on a regular basis because he’s spending time with his family. “He had nearly a year in training camp with a fight. One camp, very late into the camp, fell apart because of his cut eye. “He got back in camp again for the Usyk fight. Then he had another camp for it [the rematch]. “Last year was a lot of sacrifice for him, not seeing his family, his wife and kids and so forth. He’s making up for it now. Most read in BoxingCASINO SPECIAL – BEST CASINO BONUSES FROM £10 DEPOSITS”He’s retired, and I’m just looking forward to him being happy. That’s all I want to do, is see him being happy. He’s retired and God bless him.” Fury, 36, was twice beaten on points by Oleksandr Usyk, 38, last year to lose his WBC title and unbeaten record. Amir Khan echos the nation in plead to Tyson Fury and Anthony Joshua… and he speaks from experienceMeanwhile Joshua, 35, was knocked out by Daniel Dubois, 27, in September and pulled out of talks for a rematch.There was hope – with the British stars both beaten – that AJ and Fury would at last settle their grudge in the ring. But Joshua hopes to return in the summer and could be forced to look for a new opponent with Fury staying retired.And Warren added: “He’s been a great, magnificent servant for British and world boxing. He’s been an unbelievable world champion. “He’s one of the two best heavyweights of the 21st century. I love it. I want him to be happy. That’s all that counts for me.”Anthony Joshua was dealt a blow in hopes to fight FuryCredit: Getty More

  • in

    Incredible moment Derek Chisora asks CROWD to decide if he fights Joshua, Usyk or Dubois next in final blockbuster bout

    DEREK CHISORA asked the CROWD to decide who should face in his 50th and final fight.The 41-year-old fans’ favourite beat Otto Wallin on points in Manchester after scoring a ninth-round knockdown. Derek Chisora teased fighting Daniel Dubois, Anthony Joshua or Oleksandr UsykCredit: ReutersIt was his farewell fight in the UK and Chisora was joined in celebration by rappers Skepta, Lethal Bizzle and Tinie Tempah. The music stars each held up a poster of Daniel Dubois, Anthony Joshua and Oleksandr Usyk. And Chisora said: “People, you decide. Do I get Triple D? Do I get my brother AJ? Do I get Oleksandr Usyk? You tell me. “I think I earned number 50 a big blockbuster, please.” READ MORE IN BOXINGChisora once mentored Joshua, 35, having come up together at the Finchley Amateur Boxing Club.The two remain good friends today but Chisora has refused to rule out a fight with his old pal.He was also beaten by Usyk, 38, in 2020 before the Ukrainian became heavyweight world champion.Dubois – who knocked out AJ in September – is the IBF champ and Chisora won an eliminator for his title. Most read in BoxingCASINO SPECIAL – BEST CASINO BONUSES FROM £10 DEPOSITSPromoter Frank Warren said: “Whatever he wants, we will make it happen. We will sit down and make it happen. “He’s now won an eliminator for the IBF title and that’s Daniel Dubois’, so he has that in the bank.”Whatever he wants to do, we will do. Tonight, what a performance. I can’t tell you how proud I am of how he fought in there, Otto as well, because it takes two to make a fight.” More

  • in

    ‘Looney Tunes knockdown’ – Watch bizarre moment Derek Chisora punch sends Otto Wallin MOONWALKING whole way across ring

    DEREK CHISORA sent Otto Wallin MOONWALKING the whole way across the ring after a huge punch.The 41-year-old beat Swede Wallin on points in Manchester in his 49th fight. Derek Chisora knocked Otto Wallin down with a right handCredit: ReutersWallin was sent flying across the ringCredit: GettyWallin was beaten on pointsCredit: PAHe had Wallin down in round nine with a huge overhand right – sending his opponent flying across the ring to the shock of fans. One said: “Chisora just sent wallin flying across the ring. Literally.”Another added: “Looney tunes knockdown.”One joked: “MJ Moonwalking.”READ MORE IN BOXINGAnother said: “Wallin just got launched across the ring! Derek is loving this.”Chisora is set for a 50th and final bout but completed his last in the UK – tearing up when he got to the arena. He said after victory: “When I arrived, I said to myself I won’t cry but I started crying like a baby. “I was in tears because I love the sport and love the fans. I love everything about it, the ups and downs. It was a very emotional day for me today. It was very hard. Most read in BoxingCASINO SPECIAL – BEST CASINO BONUSES FROM £10 DEPOSITS”When I got the cut, then something happened in the third round which I didn’t tell my trainers, my ears popped, and I said I’m going to carry on.”Chisora – cut from round five after a head clash – won an IBF eliminator meaning he closed in on a title shot. Saudi boxing chiefs plan fights at outrageous venues including Eiffel Tower, Colosseum and inside infamous prisonPromoter Frank Warren said: “Whatever he wants, we will make it happen. We will sit down and make it happen. “He’s now won an eliminator for the IBF title and that’s Daniel Dubois’, so he has that in the bank.”Whatever he wants to do, we will do. Tonight, what a performance. I can’t tell you how proud I am of how he fought in there, Otto as well, because it takes two to make a fight.”Chisora is set for a 50th and final fightCredit: Reuters More